Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Doc Block posted:

Isn't Linux Mint the distro that doesn't install kernel updates by default? Enjoy your security issues.

To end the derail, something that would be nice to have for Gunscape is the ability to control the brightness and radius of lights. Sure, you can place a few lights right next to (or on top of) each other, but the radius doesn't really increase when you do that so you wind up with a 6x6 (or whatever) section that's superbright and then immediately falls off to black. It'd be nice to be able to have dark hallways and yet not have the entire level be super dark or have to place a billion lights.

Also, the ability to turn off the distance darkening.

You'll soon be able to talk to a light block and tell it how big and bright to be and what colour. Then when I get around to it you'll also be able to pick your fog colour (black, skybox-blending or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I can't wait for more tools and toys. Being able to do stuff with enemies, triggers, and whatnot will really add to the whole experience. More stuff in the game will mean more creative stuff, which will lead to more impressed people.

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.
I think I tweeted you about this, but I probably should have been a bit more formal and posted it here. I've noticed this sprite acts kinda funky for myself and a friend, both of us using nVidia cards. Another friend using an AMD card had no issue.

You're probably already aware of it, but I thought I'd point it out just in-case.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Backed. This looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

Destra posted:

I've noticed this sprite acts kinda funky for myself and a friend, both of us using nVidia cards.

I'm getting this, too, running two nVidia cards in SLI. The other sprites besides this one are fine, though.

I like the green slime tiles. Is swimmable water in the works?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Doc Block posted:

Time to learn Linux if you're going to use it as your primary OS.

edit: to be less dickish, how to check the permissions will depend on your Linux distro. With some you can just right-click on a file, go to Properties or whatever, and see/change the file permissions. Or you can do it from the command line.

How to get to the command line will, again, depend on your distro. There's usually a program called something like Terminal that will bring up a command line window.

It's not that hard to learn Linux once you've got your internet set up. Then you can just ask the internet how to do literally everything. It's slow to start but when you get the hang of it it's easy.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Destra posted:

I think I tweeted you about this, but I probably should have been a bit more formal and posted it here. I've noticed this sprite acts kinda funky for myself and a friend, both of us using nVidia cards. Another friend using an AMD card had no issue.
Oh yeah. I think previously I thought this was a non-issue since we were going to replace the sprites, but now they're being kept in addition to the new 3D wolf stuff, so I'll have a look into this today.

ACPaco posted:

I like the green slime tiles. Is swimmable water in the works?
Yep!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Figured I'd share one of my pet projects here, a remake of a map that'll probably be familiar to a lot of you. ;) I'll probably be making more as features get added, though I'm not very good at picking textures.

Something I've been meaning to ask, what Kickstarter tier should I pick to get the whole "base game" (for playing and creating)?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I really like the music you snuck into the latest update. The music's really well done and fits with the low-fi style of the game, in that the common thread of NES Ricoh 2A03 chip sound mixed with samples links the music together despite different genres and feels, so mixing and matching is still possible while avoiding the feeling of things not belonging.

SupSuper posted:

Something I've been meaning to ask, what Kickstarter tier should I pick to get the whole "base game" (for playing and creating)?

Depends on what you want really. The game will be free for playing any level, but you have to pay to get tools to create stuff (as well as player skins). $10 AUD ($8.96 USD) gets you all the themes that comes out at launch. $25 AUD ($22.40 USD) gets everything forever, as well as closed beta access in June 2014. $40 AUD ($35.85 USD) gets you everythng forever, as well as alpha and beta access starting after the kickstarter ends.

If you want just the launch stuff for creation, the $10 level's for you.
If you want the launch stuff and everything that'll come out in the future, you'll want the $25 level.
If you want everything as well as immediate access to the alpha, you want the $40 level.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I'm still having that connectivity issue. Instead of Alt+F4'ing every time my connection drops, I've figured out that running windowed I can hit the Windows key to bring the mouse back and I can quit back to the main menu no problem. I'll even get the up/down vote prompt for new maps. If I'm hosting and other people are playing, the game continues on without me and I can actually join back in from the server list.

It really is random, too. Sometimes it happens within seconds of starting a game, other times I'm running around for a good 30 seconds and I can get some shots off, maybe even kill another player before it cuts. Picking up or capturing a fish and shooting another player seem to be instant triggers to make it happen, but not consistently. It's so frequently recurring that multiplayer is pretty much broken for me. :(

Still last night I spent like three hours building an old TFC community map I half remember. It's nuts how much you can do in such a short amount of time with this engine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
For the upcoming single-player update, are you adding support for transferring between levels with the level exit portal block (preferably with different blocks leading to different levels)? I have an idea for a campaign I want to make but I want to make sure the campaign functionality's in.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Somebody come play me. I'm on the US server.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
ACPaco: I'll ask about this tomorrow, I know Kyle was working on it.

Segmentation Fault posted:

For the upcoming single-player update, are you adding support for transferring between levels with the level exit portal block (preferably with different blocks leading to different levels)? I have an idea for a campaign I want to make but I want to make sure the campaign functionality's in.

Yeah, that's how it works. You put down an exit (not necessarily the placeholder exit block that's in the game now, I think each pack will have a themed exit + one or two generic ones) and you can tell each exit which level to send the player to next, if any.

I'm not sure if that functionality will be in the next update. I'm mainly just working on getting certain SP features rushed in to show at GDC, which also means co-op will be disabled initially; but both shouldn't be too far off.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I didn't get a chance to play this online, but from the looks of it you've got a nice little game!

Does the game feature any block destruction by the way?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Not yet, and I don't want to have a major emphasis on it, but there will be a couple of destructible block types. Some blocks will need specific weapons (or types like explosives, etc) so you can use them to gate the player metroid-style.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I think I'm addicted to this game. I'm finding myself constantly checking both this thread and the site hoping for the next update. I can't wait to start making single-player levels. I really think that single-player is what'll get this game off the ground, since Gunscape has problems getting people to play online and you don't need people online for single-player.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So is there there a backup plan to get you guys money like pre-orders or something?
Or is there some way to get this Kick Starter around 20k AUD without resorting to a Pay Day style heist?

VVVV: Hoping this really does take off in all honesty.

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 17, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Malek posted:

So is there there a backup plan to get you guys money like pre-orders or something?
Or is there some way to get this Kick Starter around 20k AUD without resorting to a Pay Day style heist?

This game's going to be shown off at GDC. Hopefully that'll get the game the coverage it deserves, and I'm hoping against hope that it'll give the kickstarter the kick in the start it needs to succeed.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Hopefully, we'll see what happens this week. But while it kinda sucks to not reach our goal there have been some exciting developments that'll stop being secret in a day or two I think.

If there's time tonight I wanna do a vid of this sort of cool singeplayer map. I've had three hours of sleep after working 10am-6am yesterday so, you know, maybe not though.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 18, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Radix posted:

Hopefully, we'll see what happens this week. But while it kinda sucks to not reach our goal there have been some exciting developments that'll stop being secret in a day or two I think.
Looks like this is one of them: Gunscape confirmed to self-publish on Xbox One

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Finally a reason to use my Xbox One

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Oh man gently caress youtube. It took forever to upload the SP vid and the next day it's still stuck in "processing".

Yeeep. MS seems pretty down with it so we'll see what else happens on that front.

Just to be clear: development will continue regardless of Kickstarter. We had a lot of reasons for doing it but it was never critical.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Radix posted:

Oh man gently caress youtube. It took forever to upload the SP vid and the next day it's still stuck in "processing".

Yeeep. MS seems pretty down with it so we'll see what else happens on that front.

Just to be clear: development will continue regardless of Kickstarter. We had a lot of reasons for doing it but it was never critical.

That's great to hear. I'm going to put money down for this game regardless, I think there's a great game here and I can't wait for it to blossom. I think the KS just failed to get publicity, which was a real shame because I think there's an audience for this kind of thing.

Also I see you're showing off Mesa Fortress there. I hope you showed off some other levels, like Wetdocks or Waste Processing.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I wasn't at the event but I jumped into a few MP matches with GDC players. Waste Processing got some plays that I saw, lots of Dead Simple, and Mesa Fortress once when someone wanted to see CTF. One other quake-style interior DM map that I don't recognise appeared a bit too. I was only watching/playing for a couple of hours though.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
Radix, I just finished 'The Precipice' get that guy going during GDC! It's really fun :)

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
The event it was being shown at has finished! Sorry duder.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

The Radix posted:

The event it was being shown at has finished! Sorry duder.

Awwww, oh well.

After spending far too long in the editor, here's some more things I'd like to see.

A block that is a pure sky block, I want to be able to block off my level and prevent rocket jumping out of bounds.
The ability to replace a block with a block. This makes it easier to greybox a level. (right now it takes forever to replace all the blocks)
The ability to choose a spawn model for the level. By this I mean a little model that is on the MP spawns. This is just eye candy, in The Sixth I put a different block below each spawn.
Grenade Launcher
A backpack item that gives ammo of all types at once.
Armor! (green, yellow, red)
Health and Armor shards.
Megahealth

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

iopred posted:

Awwww, oh well.

After spending far too long in the editor, here's some more things I'd like to see.

A block that is a pure sky block, I want to be able to block off my level and prevent rocket jumping out of bounds.
The ability to replace a block with a block. This makes it easier to greybox a level. (right now it takes forever to replace all the blocks)
The ability to choose a spawn model for the level. By this I mean a little model that is on the MP spawns. This is just eye candy, in The Sixth I put a different block below each spawn.
Grenade Launcher
A backpack item that gives ammo of all types at once.
Armor! (green, yellow, red)
Health and Armor shards.
Megahealth

I remember talking about an invisible block with a developer in-game. The idea was to have a shader or particle effect become active when you get near it, but otherwise be invisible.

In general I want to see the build mode have more friendly controls. I'd like to be able to, for example, click and drag along a surface of blocks to select them all, then use the mouse wheel to make more or delete blocks along that plane. Sort of like how Sketchup or Sauerbraten works. Doing things one block at a time is obnoxious.

Also a noclip mode would be great.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Happily that's pretty much all on the to-do list. Models for the spawn points is a cool idea that we hadn't considered afaik. Armour isn't happening (I have an objection to it mechanically) but there'll be various applications of overheal and megahealth among other pickups that'll do a similar job.

Also haha I just played Doc Block's DM map again and didn't notice there were doors to the railgun/BFG areas. I thought you were meant to shotgun jump up there from the central jump pad. So, because the silly Nic Cage texture has been changed (I don't think it's in the build yet though), I thought for a sec I'd discovered a secret shrine to... well, you'll see.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You'll have to send me a screenshot or something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Single Player update's out for Gunscape! :toot:

Can't wait to make some single-player maps.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The last update seems to have messed up custom maps for me, as I no longer have the maps I made, and instead have been assigned some random maps I've never seen before:

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Same here. Those same levels replaced my own in both Create and Shoot modes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Same on my machine too. I think they're meant to be example levels that players can look at. I'm just happy that my level was considered good enough to both be on the game's main menu screen and one of the bundled examples.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Whoops. I think I know what might've happened. I'll try to get a fix up today.

This build is mainly just the new stuff for the gdc demo. You can make single player maps but there are a lot of useful tools missing like checkpoints and currently when you die in SP you just respawn. Enemy respawning doesn't work yet and they get out of synch in multiplayer so no co-op or monsters in MP yet. There's also only three baddies: Burnie and Finn are mentioned in that update post but they need a lot more work!

For now until we fix this update I advise not making maps because they'll get lost when you get your own levels back. Instead maybe check out SP Demo Level (use the local levels filter if you can't see it) for some dudes to kill.

Still trying to get that stupid video up.

btw, Xbox controllers should work pretty good now.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
That new build should be up, sorry about the delay. If anyone lost any maps due to this bug let me know and we can try to recover them for you (this only affects you if you use the Windows build and tried to make a map while this bug was in play).

In other news the animation blending issues that have been in the build since the first demo release are finally fixed! Should be in the next update.
Due to some confusion with how animation should be set up, all the animations effecting a character were blending together in an undesirable way. This resulted in animations being "rounded off", which makes the characters' movements feel less deliberate.

I'm really bad with anything to do with the animation pipeline so while fixing this today I caused some temporary weirdness.

But the headache was worth it! Now the animations pop more, like they should:

Working as intended!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Radix posted:

I'm really bad with anything to do with the animation pipeline so while fixing this today I caused some temporary weirdness.

There should be a glue-gun that makes the target do this while preventing them from moving.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Tiggum posted:

There should be a glue-gun that makes the target do this while preventing them from moving.

Glue nothing, this is a gun that fires liquor. He'd get pulled over for walking.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looks like he's riding an invisible Combat Tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I'm the forearm sticking out through the shirt.

Looking great! Can't wait for the next build. Hopefully you'll have switches working in that build too, or at least sometime soon... (I really need switches in order to make a good SP map)

• Locked thread