Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
A friend and I have downloaded the demo and plan to give it a whirl later this weekend.
If it clicks we're on board for a 2-pack.

Question and a few observations. I've only futz for about five minutes with the .2.xxxx so forgive my ignorance.

I booted it up and couldn't find any servers to play on. Is that because a master list isn't live or just not many folks since it's still early on? We plan to play via a password protected game so I wasn't sure if there was a way to just directly connect to his IP or we should just hammer refresh in the US server list till it pops.

Obviously the game's still early but is there a particular feeling or way to play you're looking to evoke? Right now the weight of the player feels like an odd mix of Goldeneye/vanilla Doom with the ability to rocket jump and no strafe running/hopping. This is fine, but I was wondering if this block like weight/presence of the player (fitting) is the planned feel. Based on what I've seen in other games, good user maps tend to emerge once players fully grasp- or break- the movement physics.

Speaking of weight: I'm not sure if this is confirmation bias or what but it seemed tapping the right mouse button on the descent of a jump or bounce made the player sink faster or loose momentum. Hard to pinpoint really but the camera movement felt a bit different and faster to connect with the ground. I was playing without vsync on the highest fov/viewmodel so maybe that has something to do with it. If intended, it might be another unique twist going forward to have a kind of mid jump cancel to avoid fire or heel stop for player momentum after bouncing, but I'm probably talking out of my rear end on that point.

Looking forward to a live fire test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
My friend and I tried playing but we keep running into an error where his game crashes every time some of note happens- such as getting killed, killing me, or even pulling the trigger. We can connect and see each other fine until that point and are using the lastest release.
We assume it's just alpha instability, but maybe it's interacting with a firewall or something else? It works fine for both of us walking around the levels alone and I haven't found any games to hop into to test otherwise.

Other minor quibble are some of the weapon sounds. Not to sound too much like a whiny baby but the sound effects for picking up lighting ammo and using the chainsaw are just abrasive (in a non-fun way). Is there chance of adding a volume slider in the next release or using a slightly less pitched sound effect?

The level editor is still fun to faff about in so far though.

• Locked thread