Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trying out creation mode for a bit, there's at least a couple of annoyances for me:
- No aiming reticule, it's hard for me to determine exactly how much to move the mouse to point at the block I want to
- The block picking UI (opened by Tab) feels weird, scrolling with scroll wheel is extremely slow, scrolling by holding down middle mouse and dragging is awkward, the way the "hotbar" (?) cycles when you select a block is hard to work with (why does it cycle at all?)
- The box that pops up on Esc can only be closed by a click on the X button, please make Esc close it too!
- Texture alignment issues because some blocks seemed to have taken on a random rotation, or perhaps were rotated depending on my looking direction when I placed them, that made the floor texture discontinuous and I had to manually rotate the blocks to align things
- When rotating blocks to fix those alignment issues, the large "selection box" (?) rather got in the way, it was laying exactly on the edges I needed to inspect to check the texture alignment
- Some of the blocks are almost too bright to work with (screenshot, which also shows the previous point somewhat)
- Where does the light come from? I built an enclosed box and when entering testing it still was well lit, although not fullbright as in the editor mode
- Do the point light and spotlight blocks even do anything? (And can the spotlight block really only be aimed in four directions?)

Re. the last two points, I did a bit of level building for Quake 1 and 2 back when, and setting up lighting was one of those things I really liked. I think it will allow for much greater variety of levels if you can give full freedom of lighting, particularly also control of making darker areas.

Edit: Things don't save when you do "single player" creating?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Radix posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The editor interface (and main menu stuff, too) is very prototype-y and honestly pretty crap right now. We're starting the process this week of designing proper new UI for everything, which will include a separate settings screen for creative mode that'll let you set preferences for cosmetic things like a visible reticule toggle and block highlighting style along with keybindings and FOV settings etc. which are separate from your action mode preferences.

Regarding lights, what's there at the moment is really just the lights which were implemented while testing the lighting systems. I want to have a better way to set global directional lighting strength and direction, and an interface for adjusting the colour/intensity of point lights you place so we don't need a million different light blocks in the menu.
We'll also add in anti-lights soon. This'll make it a lot easier to make dark areas on an otherwise brightly-lit map.

I'm not clear on the function of the existing point/spotlight blocks: the lighting stuff was pretty much the one in-game feature I'm not responsible for coding, but I can ask about it in the morning.

You'll have to bear with me as to the current selection of blocks in the creative mode toolkit. I've been pretty flat-out and I didn't really have time to curate it much for the build... there's a lot of new content that needs to go in there as well, I'll try to get on top of that this week now that the KS campaign is finally up.

Single-player creative mode should save fine, I've used it recently myself. Is this something you can reproduce? We're still nailing down server issues, so it might have been a one-off glitch, but I'll definitely get that looked at.

The saving thing, turns out I hadn't noticed the Save button at all. It was rather the fact that you don't get a notice about things being unsaved when you quit, that put me off.

For lighting, instead of having anti-lights, can you consider having a toggle for maps to use "default lighting" or "custom lighting", default lighting would be something like the current where you don't have to bother setting up lights ("newbie mode"), but custom would have everything be dark until explicitly lit. I did some more testing and at least the colored lights in the Fortress tileset do have some effect.
(Also on lights: Please also have light-emitting surfaces, i.e. lights that don't just come from nowhere, but things like lamps inset in the ceiling etc.)

Lastly, and this may be too much to ask, but are you 100% set on the "pixelly" aesthetic? I understand you want to call back to Minecraft and "retro" games, but honestly the whole low-res textures with no filtering rather turns me off. It was fine as a gimmick for Minecraft but it gets tiring when everyone starts doing it. I'd really like to see at least some tilesets using high-res, filtered textures and high-poly models.

(I should try to dig out the Quake 2 mapmaking tools again. I remember having lots of fun with the radiosity lighting it did.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

Definitely. There aren't enough splitscreen PC games (or local multiplayer PC games in general), and I think this game would be a big hit among my friends and I for that. Get together and make something cool in co-op build mode, and then play with it.

I wonder if that doesn't own to PC games traditionally being keyboard+mouse, and it being tricky to get two mice working independently on a machine, and most keyboards have very limited multiple key rollover.
(I remember many years ago having a breakout clone on Windows that supported local two-player, with the second player being controlled by a serial port mouse which the game was reading directly, around any drivers. I think this was on Windows 95.)

• Locked thread