Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Random suggestion: Since you're essentially targeting nostalgia, it could make sense to add multiple selectable 'styles' of games that alter the core mechanics, kind of like groupings of mutators. Like, a Quake style would have bunny hopping and rocket jumping, a Goldeneye style would have prolonged explosions and pick-ups that could be shot to change their spawn location, etc. Of course they'd be more in-depth than that, but you get the idea. Obviously this would be a very complicated feature, but it could help the game to really evoke the olde ways without having to settle on a compromise mish-mash of mechanics.

On a related note, one of the things that I've missed for a long time, since the golden days of Goldeneye, is for a multiplayer FPS with its deliberate pacing. Particularly when you played with proximity or remote mines, people actually tried to play carefully, strategically, even though it was just arena FFA deathmatch, which I haven't seen in arena shooters or CS (most of the time, anyway) or modern military FPSes. Of course, part of Goldeneye feeling 'deliberate' is that it was difficult to aim with an N64 controller and difficult to spot mines in the super low-res splitscreens, but I think there are other ways to achieve the same effect (e.g. smash bros.-style scores where you lose a point for each death, mines that are partially cloaked).

Oh yeah, and every FPS should have Goldeneye-style post-match awards. I really don't understand why more games don't do this.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Radix posted:

I don't want to disappoint anyone! But it was a deliberate choice to overload as much as possible onto the blocks, special elements and weapons rather than settings screens, because I think it's important that the game feels like a game rather than a game-making tool or engine/editor package. I should point out though that the current hosting screen is really barebones and you will be able to configure options such as a large number of game modes, item and monster spawn frequency, whether spawn overheal is applied, and probably more.
Yeah, that makes sense.

quote:

Rad idea, I agree (I put them in the multiplayer mode design for a client project a few months ago). The whole leaderboard and post-round screens are pretty scant right now and this'd be a good addition for certain game modes.
Word, my friends and I always really enjoyed the awards in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and they seem like a relatively lightweight addition. Although I never did figure out what "AC -10" meant.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Well, to the extent that we're talking about my proposal for different game styles, I wasn't suggesting that the game offload lots of individual variables to the user. I was thinking that you'd have a handful of styles, each of which encompassed a bunch of mechanical changes, and the level designer/server creator would pick one style for their game based on the feel they're going for. I don't think that sets a very high expectation of work for the user, but it would involve a lot of work for the developers to tweak each style to be just right (as opposed to a single, universal 'style' of mechanics).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This seems like a pretty cool idea.

How long until someone creates a map that is portions of some of the most (in)famous FPS deathmatch maps ever linked by teleporters? Like you're fighting on DE_Dust and then run through a doorway into Goldeneye's Facility, then into a teleporter and you're suddenly in Blood Gultch with Facing Worlds floating above it.

It probably wouldn't work out nearly as well as it sounds in my head though.
Fun fact: facility was once an official CS map.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tried the demo for the first time tonight, ended up 1v1ing some dude named Twist across a couple gloriously stupid maps. It was awesome. Will definitely be backing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Suggestion: implement a "low-violence mode" (replace gibs with fades, blood with sparks). I realize such a mode for this kind of game sounds silly and most goons won't care, but this is the kind of thing I'd love to play with some of my nephews, and their moms would likely frown on blowing people up into giblets. Making the game more kid-friendly would probably help it spread more virally, especially since the level design is minecraft-ish and it has an editor.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

Any chance in hell of this having controller support and splitscreen multiplayer? This looks like it would be a great couch deathmatch game.

The Radix posted:

There's a fair chance! There's currently (bad, just for testing) controller support and we were recently approved as PS4/Xbox developers and afaik are in various stages of the approval process with Gunscape for both so, while nothing is certain yet, if the game ends up on at least one console it'd make sense to do splitscreen and to support it in the PC version too.
This would be glorious, splitscreen on PC would be great what with Valve's push into the living room.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I finally got around to backing this, even though it looks like the kickstarter will fail. Have you guys considered early access? I'd definitely pick this up there.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Radix posted:

Yeah, you're right. I have this strong impulse to attach gifs to any update news though and got sidetracked while trying to figure out how to show off the weapons. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good vine-style service for sharing micro-videos? That'd be perfect for demonstrating guns (because audio is such an important element) but I can do without the wannabe social network or restrictive iphone poo poo.
http://gfycat.com/about ?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I never knew I needed 9 player splitscreen until now. I didn't even realize you could hook up that many xinput controllers simultaneously. I'm guessing you can't use more than 4 wireless 360 controllers with the dongle?

edit: does splitscreen work for co-op too?

edit2: wait, can you use more than one dongle?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Trying the latest version (v0.3.4286) I'm just stuck at the login screen forever.

edit: logging in as a guest if that matters. In any case restarting the application or my computer doesn't let me change anything.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Can you only set invert controller globally, not per-player for splitscreen?

Did you ever figure out how to do more than 5 players? Is it just extra DirectInput controllers?

• Locked thread