Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Wait, people were actually surprised Ichigo was a hollow? Didn't they blatantly do a whole training arc on controlling his hollow self or something?

The issue isn't Ichigo's Hollow powers, it's his super-Hollow powers beyond his normal Hollow powers. There was a bit of foreshadowing, but it was still overly convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

DBZ Battle of Z is a weird game in that it really shouldn't be a DBZ game. Why? It's a lot more complex than any DBZ game that wasn't developed by Dimps. It looks like a fighting game at first glance but it is not one. You cannot chain combos, there are no bet of 3s, there is no character balance derived towards the game on a competitive level at all. It is a team based action-rpg with elements of Monster Hunter, yes you read that right.

The game is based around the team as a whole, four players on one team. There are four classes that characters are divided into: Melee, Ki, Support and Interference. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses while filling in a role on the team. Melee is meant for up close battles, ki is meant to use special attacks and ki blasts from afar, support is the healing role not meant for fighting much, and interference is meant for stopping the opponent from either being able to move or mount an offensive by binding them in place. There are no in-game transformations, this due to the how the game's equipment and the class system works. Different transformations have different classes from the last form for the most part or will sometimes build on a previous form and have two classes. This leads into another big part of the game, the cards.

Cards are your equipment, you get some after every mission you complete and there are many with a multitude of effects. Every character has a set number of cards they are able to equip, this does not change unless you equip cards that let you equip more cards of specific stats. A way the game also balances more powerful characters is a retry system. Basically, the entire team share retries and if you run out of them and one team member is not revived within the time limit you fail the mission. Specific characters are attributed a number of retries that add to the pool and these vary from 0-2. Weak characters whose only purpose are one thing are given 2 retries, second tier characters who can serve one purpose very well or sometimes two are 1, and the strongest characters who can kind of break an opponent have none. It makes it so you have to build a team around your respective playstyles combining together and working in tandem. IE: No one wants to be the white mage, but someone has to be if you want to win.

This is a mission based game, there are 60 missions and of course they will increase in difficulty. Some of the later missions are downright ridiculous in how many specialized characters can get thrown at you at once and the last two in general are really tough. The bosses are smart and have buffed stats so you cannot possibly lay in effective damage on your own. Your best bet is always to find someone to play with as the computer is complete garbage. There is also an online battle mode where you will need to fight other teams who are eithe rjust as messy as yours or who know how to coordinate an attack.

The gameplay however is very standard DBZ Tenkaichi-styled games gameplay. You get your basic stuff like melee, ki, and so on. Really large 3d fields to fight in, everything like that. There's not much to say about that part, it's as it looks. The only that's really change is you can't charge your ki up, it recharges from melee and ki blasts, this is actually a big change as again just allowing people to charge ki would disrupt the balance of the game. I actually like the game a lot, it's got some unique ideas and is a lot more than I expected to have from a gameplay system from a modern DBZ game. Unfortunately it was given to one of the worst fanbases they could've given it to as DBZ fans only really know how to mash buttons until everything is dead. BUt hey. at least I get fun stuff like this...

Super Saiyan Da Gawd

Oh and this

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

The issue isn't Ichigo's Hollow powers, it's his super-Hollow powers beyond his normal Hollow powers. There was a bit of foreshadowing, but it was still overly convenient.

Yeah, my point was just to illustrate how a relatively minor thing is bitched about excessively by manga fans of today. Something of much more drastic scope and with even less logic behind it like Goku being an alien would result in current manga readers' heads exploding due to nerd rage.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Battle of Z for a while. I finally got tired of trying the mission that unlocks SSJ 3 Goku and quit for the night. Mystic Gohan is the best character I've got so far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've only played the demo for Battle of Z, but I've played the ever loving poo poo out of the demo. I still haven't Z-ranked anything in it, but at this point I'm convinced SS is the highest you can get in it anyway. That or the Z rank requirements are pretty absurd for the early Saiyan saga missions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Z Rank basically requires you sweep the entire stage with little to no problems, so yeah it's kind of tough to do in the demo given you aren't really given a lot of ways to do it.

Squallege posted:

I've been playing Battle of Z for a while. I finally got tired of trying the mission that unlocks SSJ 3 Goku and quit for the night. Mystic Gohan is the best character I've got so far.

Yeah, that's one of those missions you need to really have a solid team for if you not only want to beat it, but unlock Goku. That was an interesting thing it felt like this game did was it is heavily reliant on you have human teammates, which sort of begs the question why the online seems so hit or miss.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

DBZ Battle of Z is a weird game in that it really shouldn't be a DBZ game. Why? It's a lot more complex than any DBZ game that wasn't developed by Dimps. It looks like a fighting game at first glance but it is not one. You cannot chain combos, there are no bet of 3s, there is no character balance derived towards the game on a competitive level at all. It is a team based action-rpg with elements of Monster Hunter, yes you read that right.

The game is based around the team as a whole, four players on one team. There are four classes that characters are divided into: Melee, Ki, Support and Interference. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses while filling in a role on the team. Melee is meant for up close battles, ki is meant to use special attacks and ki blasts from afar, support is the healing role not meant for fighting much, and interference is meant for stopping the opponent from either being able to move or mount an offensive by binding them in place. There are no in-game transformations, this due to the how the game's equipment and the class system works. Different transformations have different classes from the last form for the most part or will sometimes build on a previous form and have two classes. This leads into another big part of the game, the cards.

Cards are your equipment, you get some after every mission you complete and there are many with a multitude of effects. Every character has a set number of cards they are able to equip, this does not change unless you equip cards that let you equip more cards of specific stats. A way the game also balances more powerful characters is a retry system. Basically, the entire team share retries and if you run out of them and one team member is not revived within the time limit you fail the mission. Specific characters are attributed a number of retries that add to the pool and these vary from 0-2. Weak characters whose only purpose are one thing are given 2 retries, second tier characters who can serve one purpose very well or sometimes two are 1, and the strongest characters who can kind of break an opponent have none. It makes it so you have to build a team around your respective playstyles combining together and working in tandem. IE: No one wants to be the white mage, but someone has to be if you want to win.

This is a mission based game, there are 60 missions and of course they will increase in difficulty. Some of the later missions are downright ridiculous in how many specialized characters can get thrown at you at once and the last two in general are really tough. The bosses are smart and have buffed stats so you cannot possibly lay in effective damage on your own. Your best bet is always to find someone to play with as the computer is complete garbage. There is also an online battle mode where you will need to fight other teams who are eithe rjust as messy as yours or who know how to coordinate an attack.

The gameplay however is very standard DBZ Tenkaichi-styled games gameplay. You get your basic stuff like melee, ki, and so on. Really large 3d fields to fight in, everything like that. There's not much to say about that part, it's as it looks. The only that's really change is you can't charge your ki up, it recharges from melee and ki blasts, this is actually a big change as again just allowing people to charge ki would disrupt the balance of the game. I actually like the game a lot, it's got some unique ideas and is a lot more than I expected to have from a gameplay system from a modern DBZ game. Unfortunately it was given to one of the worst fanbases they could've given it to as DBZ fans only really know how to mash buttons until everything is dead. BUt hey. at least I get fun stuff like this...

Super Saiyan Da Gawd

Oh and this

I was thinking about picking this up, but I have way too many games to play as is right now. Also Bravely Default comes out for the 3DS in like a week, so there is even more on my plate. I was curious though, you said that it played a lot like the Tenkaichi games; I was poo poo at them, but I don't know if it's because I didn't 'get' it, or what. Which in turn made me rather disappointed in the one I rented years back. I got back into the games with Burst Limit, which was closer to the Budokai 3 I adored on PS2.

Your description of the team system and cards seems interesting, but if I wasn't a fan of/good at the old Tenkaichi games am I going to just be wasting my time? As is I may try and get it used down the line for like $30 or so, I can't bring myself to dump $60 on a game when I have so much on my plate from the latest Steam sale and Christmas.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Toriyama dropped a small present for the fans about the upcoming collected book of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Big DB spoilers:

We'll finally see who Goku's mother is.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Toriyama dropped a small present for the fans about the upcoming collected book of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Big DB spoilers:

The other other other legendary super saiyan.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

B-b-but my FANFICS
:qqsay:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Mister Roboto posted:

Given a history family resemblance, I hope she looks just like Raditz.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

onepixeljumpman posted:

Given a history family resemblance, I hope she looks just like Raditz.

She looks like Videl, turns out Mr. Satan has been a saiyan all along! Then we get to see SS3 Hercule.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I recently realised after some discussion here that I've never really watched the Kai dub and it's been a while since I last watched DBZ stuff that wasn't abridged.

The thing that has really jumped out to me is how power levels as a concrete thing is something that the fandom and the whole surrounding Dragonball franchise really ran with despite it not really being in the story much at all. It's basically used either as shorthand way of saying "oh hey this guy is a badass" or, more often, showcaase that Freeza's goons are super confident in their rigid hierarchy of power and then the heroes blow that all to poo poo.

I've got a totally different view of Dodoria now too. I used to think he was with Freeza all the time, he must be WAY stronger than Vegeta back when he came to earth! But no, when Vegeta kills Cui (his equal in power before), as soon as Dodoria is alone with him and is terrified of Vegeta, so those three were probably all approximate equals before the whole Dragonball dealio. I wonder what gave me that first impression anyway?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Mostly due to the fact it kinda seemed Dodoria was completely wiping out the Nameks like nothing. That and Krillin and Gohan were sorta fighting him and using other tactics to not fight him.

But I feel it's mostly due to the fact that Vegeta got a power up after losing to Goku. Hell it's what I love about the abridged series is how they poke fun at how bullshit the sayian's power level grows.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thing to note about power levels: Everyone who relied on them was a villain, and everyone who ONLY relied on them suffered horribly for it.

Power levels were never intended to be concrete--they were the exact opposite of that, showing how useless reducing people to numbers is.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally unlocked all the characters in Battle of Z! :toot: I found that the best strategy for some of the worse missions is to just play them offline and team yourself up with three customized Android 18s on defense mode. You'll rarely ever have to worry about knockouts. Mission 58 however is impossible unless you play online.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I've got a totally different view of Dodoria now too. I used to think he was with Freeza all the time, he must be WAY stronger than Vegeta back when he came to earth! But no, when Vegeta kills Cui (his equal in power before), as soon as Dodoria is alone with him and is terrified of Vegeta, so those three were probably all approximate equals before the whole Dragonball dealio. I wonder what gave me that first impression anyway?

Dodoria is one of the biggest jabs the series takes at power levels. He's got a higher power level than vegeta but since he's one of frieza's guards he never fights at all and easily got wrecked by a well trained martial artist like vegeta.

Also being fat probably doesn't help.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Dodoria is one of the biggest jabs the series takes at power levels. He's got a higher power level than vegeta but since he's one of frieza's guards he never fights at all and easily got wrecked by a well trained martial artist like vegeta.

She lost cus she's a girl.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah. I think I remember reading a fan translation of the manga a while back that, after Vegeta kills Cui, Freeza admits Vegeta is now stronger than Zarbon and Dodoria. Although he also states that Vegeta is just dust to him. I always thought that was a cool line. Anyway Freeza also says it's because Vegeta has been out training and getting stronger while most of Freeza's henchmen have just been sitting fat and happy.

It was a fan translation so nothing official, but it was a cool line that I think was lost in the dub.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Stairmaster posted:

Being fat never hurt Buu!

Aside from all the times he lost to skinnier Buus.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Being fat is fine, Yajirobe managed to at least turn the tables against Vegeta. :colbert:

(Yeah I know he cut off the tail but still that was pretty hilarious)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

She lost cus she's a girl.

The most beautiful - and fertile - woman on her home planet. Until Freeza blew it up.

Actually, is that something that was in the anime or the manga, that Freeza had blown up a bunch of his minions' home planets? It's been ages since I saw any version of the series or read the manga but I have this vague notion that Dodoria and Cui (maybe one of Cui's race in a filler episode, I admit) both said it happened to them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Metal Loaf posted:

The most beautiful - and fertile - woman on her home planet. Until Freeza blew it up.

Actually, is that something that was in the anime or the manga, that Freeza had blown up a bunch of his minions' home planets? It's been ages since I saw any version of the series or read the manga but I have this vague notion that Dodoria and Cui (maybe one of Cui's race in a filler episode, I admit) both said it happened to them.

The real question is, of all the planets, why did Freeza allow Freeza Planet 419 to stay?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The real question is, of all the planets, why did Freeza allow Freeza Planet 419 to stay?

Maybe it's impossible to really destroy a race that can always see you coming. Freeza, with his ego that rivals Vegeta's in magnitude, would be so murderously annoyed by that that he'd have to avoid them just to keep himself from going insane with rage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Spoilers, man

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shindragon posted:

Being fat is fine, Yajirobe managed to at least turn the tables against Vegeta. :colbert:

(Yeah I know he cut off the tail but still that was pretty hilarious)

Easy to forget that when Yajirobe showed up he was as powerful as Goku.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Easy to forget that when Yajirobe showed up he was as powerful as Goku.

...Now that I think about it, when was the last time an actual human being actually beat anyone? Like, who mattered. At all.

Was it Krillen blowing up the Saibamen? Or maybe his contribution to beating Guldo?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Now that I think about it, when was the last time an actual human being actually beat anyone? Like, who mattered. At all.

Was it Krillen blowing up the Saibamen? Or maybe his contribution to beating Guldo?

Not a lot, but Tien did hold off Cell for a while.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Not a lot, but Tien did hold off Cell for a while.

Yeah, I remember that and that was legitimately cool, but it was cool precisely because Tien didn't have a loving prayer of actually beating Cell. I'm talking about straight up beating somebody.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I remember that and that was legitimately cool, but it was cool precisely because Tien didn't have a loving prayer of actually beating Cell. I'm talking about straight up beating somebody.

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

*With the power of friendship :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

And he was the entire reason the spirit bomb got charged up enough to kill Kid Buu. Goku didn't kill him - he got an assist. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Krillin took out a few people in the Buu Tournament. And if you count movies, there's villain sidekicks that get taken out a lot.

Otherwise, nope, humans were useless pretty much after SSJ was invented.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

Don't forget he beat Cell too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mister Roboto posted:

Krillin took out a few people in the Buu Tournament. And if you count movies, there's villain sidekicks that get taken out a lot.

Otherwise, nope, humans were useless pretty much after SSJ was invented.

Krillin didn't even do anything before that, Vegeta killed everyone from Nappa to Jeice, leaving the Ginyu alive and losing to Frieza, and Goku did the heavy lifting against Recoome and Burter.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Krillin didn't even do anything before that, Vegeta killed everyone from Nappa to Jeice, leaving the Ginyu alive and losing to Frieza, and Goku did the heavy lifting against Recoome and Burter.

Krillin managed to solar flare Dodoria to help he and Gohan escape, and almost killed Vegeta to help him power up, he also killed a bunch of saibamen, Tien killed one or two also I think. Other than that... Yajirobe killed one of King Piccolo's minions, and cut off Vegeta's tail. Aside from that Tien put up a good fight in the World martial Arts tournament, I guess. It's really been downhill for humans since then.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also Buu saga Krillin also finally managed to nail someone with the Kienzen and slice them in half...unfortunately for him it was Kid Buu who that doesn't affect.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The humans were pretty useless even in Dragon Ball. Goku beat Pilaf, the entire Red Ribbon Army, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr., all by himself. Yamcha didn't do poo poo to Pilaf, Krillin got his rear end kicked by General Blue, Tenshinhan got wrecked by Drum. Yajirobi killed one of Piccolo's minions but that's it; he never does anything again. So everyone else embarrassing themselves while Goku gets to look good has been the norm since long before he became a Super Saiyan.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Android 18 beat Vegeta! She's technically human I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torix posted:

Android 18 beat Vegeta! She's technically human I guess.

She didn't become a human again until after the Cell Games, and they wished for her to turn back into a human. She was (more or less) a cyborg before that.

That makes me wonder: Did they ever mention about how powerful 18 was after she was transformed back? She was still technically stronger than Krillin even after that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AlternateNu posted:

She didn't become a human again until after the Cell Games, and they wished for her to turn back into a human. She was (more or less) a cyborg before that.

That makes me wonder: Did they ever mention about how powerful 18 was after she was transformed back? She was still technically stronger than Krillin even after that, right?

No, she was still a cyborg, she just had her self-destruct bomb removed by the dragon.

• Locked thread