Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any advantage to playing the demo first, in terms of items or bonuses that can be transferred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any advantage to playing the demo first, in terms of items or bonuses that can be transferred?

Just a dumb hat from the looks of things.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
There's mainly one thing in the demo that really soured me on the game: Random drops that are completely disconnected from player skill.

In order to upgrade weapons loot is needed, however unlike Soul Sacrifice, where the loot obtained was purely based on player skill, in the demo it was all about beating the same critter again and again, hoping that it dropped the item with the right id. This was made worse by there being little opportunity to make running the missions faster, since most of the time was spent running from A to B, and some of the needed mobs only being once or thrice in any given mission.

How prevalent is this in the full game?

Similarly, does getting loot from bosses also depend on luck at all, or is that at least purely skill based?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

There's mainly one thing in the demo that really soured me on the game: Random drops that are completely disconnected from player skill.

In order to upgrade weapons loot is needed, however unlike Soul Sacrifice, where the loot obtained was purely based on player skill, in the demo it was all about beating the same critter again and again, hoping that it dropped the item with the right id. This was made worse by there being little opportunity to make running the missions faster, since most of the time was spent running from A to B, and some of the needed mobs only being once or thrice in any given mission.

Similarly, does getting loot from bosses also depend on luck at all, or is that at least purely skill based?

Since it's so similar to Monster Hunter, I would assume that's how it's supposed to be. In Monster Hunter breaking a certain part off the monster increases your chance of getting a certain material, but it's never guaranteed.
That's how the game entices you to fight the bosses multiple times.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game is now up on PSN in the North American region, $39.99, file size 1.9 GB

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mithaldu posted:

Even SS had an element of randomness, most specifically with the Essences, yes running harder missions made + and ++ more likely and yes there were Sigils to make them more common but gently caress I ran Carn. Slime almost 200 times trying to get a SE+.

Edit: My sorrow made manifest.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 11, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Added a note to the OP, turns out if you change your server preference to "All", it actively separates you from the NA servers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

In case anyone wants the pink furry mask from the demo, you need to do a mission with three people but they don't all have to be in the same mission. Doing three missions with three different people should work.

e: I thought the level 3 limit on mitamas was a demo thing but the shrine chick is still telling me she can't do it. Do I need to unlock more levels via mission progress?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Awesome! posted:

e: I thought the level 3 limit on mitamas was a demo thing but the shrine chick is still telling me she can't do it. Do I need to unlock more levels via mission progress?

Yes, story progress until you unlock a quest from her to increase her power.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
If anyone is worried about the item limit, it's unlocked immediately to 99 in the full game. I didn't do any missions to unlock. drat this game is addictive. I've been playing the vita for 3 hours straight and then had to plug in the vita to charge and played for another 2 hours attached to the charger.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
About the online component of the game, how is looting shared? I think purified parts are shared but what about items picked up? Also if a player uses a shrine is it still usable by anyone else?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Are there more training sessions that unlock later? I've done all the weapon ones but I'm not getting that medal/trophy.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

dPB posted:

About the online component of the game, how is looting shared? I think purified parts are shared but what about items picked up? Also if a player uses a shrine is it still usable by anyone else?

Purified Parts are distributed to anybody on the map, same as Mitama drops. Items picked up are not shared and do not use up the spot. Everybody has their own shrines.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emalde posted:

If anyone else has the game, get in the IRC~

Also, apparently if you opt not to import the demo data on start up, you don't get the opportunity to do it ever again so make sure you wrap up everything you want to in the demo first.

E: To claim your actual equipment from preorder DLC, you just have to check your letters in your home. There is a bonus if you managed to play the demo online with 3 other people, you get the Pink Tenko Mask.

What that's bullshit. I played the demo with numerous people and I didn't get anything :sigh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What that's bullshit. I played the demo with numerous people and I didn't get anything :sigh:

I saw a post somewhere that said the EU demo people got it for completing the demo and the US got it for data transferring (playing online) with three people. No idea if that's true or not. I'm in the US, had exactly 3 people listed as doing 1 mission with me in the data transfer log and quite a few more with 0. The mask is delivered via the notebook in your house when you start up the full game. It is literally a pink furry fox head though so I wouldn't be too worried if you don't get it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, I just preordered the EU Version totally blind. Do I need to know anything about this if I previously enjoyed a load of Monster Hunter as well as Things with Oni and Japanese Weaponry?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Hymirvetr posted:

So, I just preordered the EU Version totally blind. Do I need to know anything about this if I previously enjoyed a load of Monster Hunter as well as Things with Oni and Japanese Weaponry?

No, you're good to go. :v:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Any tips on timing the critical strikes on the gauntlets? I'm trying to get the timing down but my success rate is never as high as when I just mash the button.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So yeah, Jollux. Was not expecting that particular turn of events.

I've also converted over to bow pretty much completely, fists got left in the dust when I did a marathon play session with a buddy of mine. They're neat and all, but having practically no vertical range when every oni so far has had breaks quite high up their bodies is a problem. Especially when they always fall on a particular part and it clips into the ground when they get knocked down. (Windshredder! :argh:)

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Bussamove posted:

I've also converted over to bow pretty much completely, fists got left in the dust when I did a marathon play session with a buddy of mine. They're neat and all, but having practically no vertical range when every oni so far has had breaks quite high up their bodies is a problem. Especially when they always fall on a particular part and it clips into the ground when they get knocked down. (Windshredder! :argh:)

I love this game but it sucks that only 3 weapons can consistently break all parts on the larger Onis. The dual swords, the spear and the bow. I guess its not much of a problem since this game emphasizes teamwork but I really hope they improve the balance of the weapons in the sequel. While playing dual swords, all I could think of was how cool if they could incorporate Dragon's Dogma monster climbing system in here.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lostleaf posted:

I love this game but it sucks that only 3 weapons can consistently break all parts on the larger Onis. The dual swords, the spear and the bow.

Out of the 6 weapon types, Gauntlets, Longsword, and Spear have the most difficulty consistently reaching all bodyparts (from most to least difficulty in that lineup). Bow, Dual Swords, and Kusarigama (easiest to least) are all fine for destroying every part on an Oni. Liberal use of a Spirit-type Mitama can compensate for any flaw in your weapon class/playstyle when it comes to reaching areas.

Also, gotta hand it to the guys who localized this, they know when to slip in something to help you understand the hilariously esoteric layer of Japanese Folklore: http://i.imgur.com/ioqSvmE.jpg (the other name listed there isn't in the spoken dialogue at all, it was added specifically to give western players a frame of reference)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm pretty sure any weapon can be a body part sniper god with the Spirit Mitama.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Emalde posted:

Also, gotta hand it to the guys who localized this, they know when to slip in something to help you understand the hilariously esoteric layer of Japanese Folklore: http://i.imgur.com/ioqSvmE.jpg (the other name listed there isn't in the spoken dialogue at all, it was added specifically to give western players a frame of reference)

ugh baka gaijin

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So how do I join a goon game ? I have never played a multiplayer game on the ps vita before.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

easiest thing would probably be to make a room and then post the name/password here so people can join

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Awesome! posted:

easiest thing would probably be to make a room and then post the name/password here so people can join

Or joining the IRC, since the time lapse on people reading this thread is massive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

The Kusarigama practically hard counters Jollux. There's barely anything he can do to you if you're flying around hacking at his head or spine ridge. The kusarigama is pretty awesome in general. Just lock on to a part, pop all your speed or attack abilities, turn on agility mode and that thing is coming off.

I feel like the difficulty has taken a sharp turn upwards with the 2 big monsters after Jollux. Which is a good thing, imo.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Awesome! posted:

Are there more training sessions that unlock later? I've done all the weapon ones but I'm not getting that medal/trophy.

Finally stopped to knock out some Singleplayer progress and as it turns out, yes, some additional training missions unlock later on.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played the demo, loved it.
Using the spear, does a charged thrust with the follow up flurry do more or less than the charged special move? I could do either on a downed monster. Is there an even better option?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Awesome! posted:

I saw a post somewhere that said the EU demo people got it for completing the demo and the US got it for data transferring (playing online) with three people.

For what it's worth, I have the EU demo/game, did all I could in the demo and only played with two people online and got the mask.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any chance of the JP miatma like Otohime coming over to the ENG version?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fauxtool posted:

Played the demo, loved it.
Using the spear, does a charged thrust with the follow up flurry do more or less than the charged special move? I could do either on a downed monster. Is there an even better option?

I never use the O charged attack. Be sure when using the Square charge to chain it into more charges. It can chain 3 times before unleashing the atatatatatata attack at the the end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ahaha holy poo poo what a design on jollux.

e: do the resists on a demon's armor reflect their actual resists? Jollux armor has low wind resist so I should use a wind weapon when fighting him?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 13, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Awesome! posted:

e: do the resists on a demon's armor reflect their actual resists? Jollux armor has low wind resist so I should use a wind weapon when fighting him?

Correct.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

After swimming in the drat things and stupidly selling them all during the demo, I can't for the life of me get a Pointed Vajra now that I actually need one. Stupid Oka and get stupid requests. :argh:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, I just got this and played around a bit with the Kusarigama, and I have a question. Do I assume that you can grapple to certain bodyparts with it and it doesn't have the issue of limited reach height wise like some Weapons in Monster Hunter were prone to do? I really dig the moveset to be honest, the spear was also very nice if albeit a bit too groundbased.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hymirvetr posted:

So, I just got this and played around a bit with the Kusarigama, and I have a question. Do I assume that you can grapple to certain bodyparts with it and it doesn't have the issue of limited reach height wise like some Weapons in Monster Hunter were prone to do? I really dig the moveset to be honest, the spear was also very nice if albeit a bit too groundbased.

When you hit a monster with your charged square attack you'll get pulled towards the spot you hit. You can do a three triangle combo in the air that does good damage. If you've activated agility mode you can hit square to grapple again and combo again until your stamina runs out or the monster swats you down. You can lock on to specific parts buy holding down square to charge your grapple then pressing L while the targeting reticle is over the part you want to attack. You can't just cling to the monster like in SotC or anything, but in stamina mode you can keep jumping to a part for a good while.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there any non-combat resource collection? One of the things most Hunting-Action games don't have when they copy Monster Hunter is a way to break up the action with activities that don't involve chopping up dinosaurs/demons, like fishing, mining, bug catching, farming, etc.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Speedball posted:

Is there any non-combat resource collection? One of the things most Hunting-Action games don't have when they copy Monster Hunter is a way to break up the action with activities that don't involve chopping up dinosaurs/demons, like fishing, mining, bug catching, farming, etc.

Not sure why you would want this, and not really. You can stop to gather the sparklies everywhere, orrrr you could just have your Tenko do it for you between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just miss having a farm with slave cats personally. Would be a good use for all this goddamn soil. I'm sure jollux has some barroth-level dung to provide too. Needing to go farm loving hercudromes or whatever can gently caress right off though.

• Locked thread