Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

So far, I really like this game. It's like all the good parts of Monster Hunter with a bunch of quality of life improvements and without all the tedious grognard bullshit that plagues Monster Hunter games (or at least Freedom Unite, the only one I've played).

For what it's worth, the 3rd gen MH games go substantially easier on the tedious grognard bullshit. Not to the degree Toukiden does, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Steelwing is a real fucker and doing that carpet bomb move five times in a row is a little annoying. On the other hand, I now have big goofy wings on my back, so it kinda evens out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Do passive Mitama bonuses stack with each other? Like if I have two Mitama with Attack Level 1, will I get a bonus from both, or just once and the second is overwritten? I'm finally getting to the point in the main story where I can really start customizing their skills, and I need to know just how min-maxy I can be.

Edit: Decided to test it out for myself and equip some with multiple Stamina Level 2 and compared health with both, one, and neither, it looks like they do indeed stack with each other. So if anyone else was wondering, there it is!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 22, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bussamove posted:

Do passive Mitama bonuses stack with each other? Like if I have two Mitama with Attack Level 1, will I get a bonus from both, or just once and the second is overwritten? I'm finally getting to the point in the main story where I can really start customizing their skills, and I need to know just how min-maxy I can be.

Edit: Decided to test it out for myself and equip some with multiple Stamina Level 2 and compared health with both, one, and neither, it looks like they do indeed stack with each other. So if anyone else was wondering, there it is!

I learned that in the demo tutorial. It said the passives bonuses are active but only one set of abilities.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm really getting into this game, despite being terrible at it. I'd never played the MH series before, so I spent a lot of time treating the combat like I was playing Diablo--just keep mashing the button until the enemy dies.

That's not how we do things! :v:

Also, I like that I pay a tree daily. Something about it makes me smile. "Hi, tree. Here's some cash." "Thanks, bro!"

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is there a way to cycle through lock-on targets for individual body parts? Up until now I've been using the manual aim on the sickle to try and point at a part to lock on to, but that's a bit frustrating. The normal cycle method doesn't seem to work for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sadly no, you can only cycle between monsters, not parts.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That's too bad, but at least it means I haven't spent hours doing it the hard way for no reason. It also just occurred to me playing this evening that I could claw with my right hand so I can hold down square for manual aim and actually aim with the right stick instead of relying on strafing...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I usually end up clawing the left hand and using the d-pad to aim it, myself.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I haven't tested it with chain and sickle, but while you're aiming with bow you can hold down R and release square to use the right stick without any need to use The Claw. I assume since they're doing the same basic thing that it would work. No more MHFU flashbacks!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there a way to see what mission someone picked without running over to the door?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Now that it seems that some of you have finished the game's story, what weapons did you prefer?

I'm mainly using Short Swords now but I started with the bow; I switched after I found that the bow's damage output just isn't that great, which was a problem in solo missions.
However, I just killed my first Viper Queen and I noticed that some spots are really hard to reach even if you use the jump; additionally, sometimes the camera makes dodging the larger attacks almost impossible.
So I'm considering switching back to the bow and I'd like to ask if you use just one strong bow or do you maintain multiple bows to target elemental weaknesses?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

scissorman posted:

Now that it seems that some of you have finished the game's story, what weapons did you prefer?

I'm mainly using Short Swords now but I started with the bow; I switched after I found that the bow's damage output just isn't that great, which was a problem in solo missions.
However, I just killed my first Viper Queen and I noticed that some spots are really hard to reach even if you use the jump; additionally, sometimes the camera makes dodging the larger attacks almost impossible.
So I'm considering switching back to the bow and I'd like to ask if you use just one strong bow or do you maintain multiple bows to target elemental weaknesses?

I always keep a good selection of elemental weapons handy. It's not very hard at all to get all the bits you need for your weapons of choice, and it makes a pretty rainbow in your equipment chest.

The only weapons I've been neglecting are the status ailment ones, because I can never seem to get them to go off even when I have Affliction mitama equipped.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

scissorman posted:

At some point I went pretty much all spear with spirit mitamas. I can jump to reach most spots and still do decent damage on the ground. With the spirit mitama I'll usually aim a spear hit at whatever body part gives me the most trouble and use eruption and pursuit to blast it off. Between that and the occasional use of the power throwing spear attack when its ready I find I can get all the parts of pretty much anything. My mitama build has +damage, +use and time reduction for eruption, which helps. I like the spear for a nice combination of power and agility, generally speaking.

The only Oni I used a bow for regularly was Jollux/Edam as I had a hard time hitting the back spines and the horns only with the spear (to set them up for eruption). After hitting the horns on a jump I usually hit another body part on the way down.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Looks like there was an update today that added in the Cerberus crossover from Soul Sacrifice.

quote:

If you've been enjoying the simple delight of slaughtering hundreds of Oni since Toukiden: The Age of Demons released earlier this month, you'll be happy to know that publisher Tecmo Koei has more content for you to skewer in the works.
Starting today, you'll be able to download the title's latest 1.01 update, a small patch that adds in a couple of new multiplayer missions. The quests in question see you going toe to toe with a Soul Sacrifice-style monster, and apparently this isn't the only crossover content that the Japanese company has planned, stating on Twitter that more news on future downloads is coming soon. Something tells us that the upcoming hunts may not be free, though. Are you still slaying? Howl at us in the comments section below.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/02/slay_some_free_soul_sacrifice_style_dlc_with_the_latest_toukiden_update

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just finished chapter 3 and I haven't seen any Goldentalons yet. Anyone know where they show up?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Boinks posted:

I just finished chapter 3 and I haven't seen any Goldentalons yet. Anyone know where they show up?

Goldentalons are a special offshoot of the Razortalon enemy and you can force them to spawn by finding any area with at least 2 Razortalons, killing them, and then waiting for them to respawn. One of them will respawn as a Golentalon. This is true for nearly all "rare" versions of enemies.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Boinks posted:

Most "rare" small oni will spawn once you clear our their smaller versions in an area, then either wait or change areas and then back. I had Goldtalons pop up in the first mission involving tengu, but I had to bounce between areas a couple times to get them to show up.

Edit God dammit Belzac you even put quotes around rare faster than I did.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

OK I'll try that, thanks!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The exceptions to this would be:
The very small enemies (ie. Imps, Aurwings, and Poison spitters) which need at least 4 in a zone to respawn as a rare.
Drumbles and Flaming Souls rare types are actually rare and very hard to find. I don't know the exact rules on them but they can only be seen with Eye of Truth. The only times I've encountered them they've appeared in the zone after I already scanned the zone, done some fighting, then happened to turn it on again and there's a stupid Drumble in the back how did you get there. I've found most of them in boss rooms actually since you're in them so long I guess the chance of a rare monster spawning is pinged enough for one to hop in.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I read somewhere that the invisible enemies have a 5% chance to spawn per minute in a zone, and only after a certain chapter.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Looks like there was an update today that added in the Cerberus crossover from Soul Sacrifice.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/02/slay_some_free_soul_sacrifice_style_dlc_with_the_latest_toukiden_update

This is a pretty good sign we should be getting most of the additional Mitama at some point. The armor from Cerberus is some of the best in the game, but it's not an exceptionally easy hunt (though the game putting the difficulty rating at MAX is unwarranted)

e: vvv no

Emalde fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 28, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Did they ever add more than good old Cerb to this game in terms of DLC monsters? All these refights and recolors are lame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Holy poo poo I'm mad at this thing. Waited for a few friends to get it and now that all 3 of us have it we can't play a single map online which is insane because the demo had no problems at all. Is this the absolute worst netcode in the world or something?

We spent a good part of a hour joining a lobby, and upon starting the mission it would randomly give me a message saying "not all players are ready" and freeze them on a loading screen. We'd restart the game hundreds of times and nothing- then my game hard crashed with a error report, the next attempt my friends game hard crashed.

What on earth is going on because our net isn't this bad, and I'm feeling like I wasted my money right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

We did have that happen once or twice in the demo.. Have you all got your Vitas set with static IPs and set to DMZ in your router? You shouldn't have to do that, but it might be worth looking into.

Also you're all patched up, right? It shouldn't let you onto PSN without it, but who knows.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kirbysuperstar posted:

We did have that happen once or twice in the demo.. Have you all got your Vitas set with static IPs and set to DMZ in your router? You shouldn't have to do that, but it might be worth looking into.

Also you're all patched up, right? It shouldn't let you onto PSN without it, but who knows.

Yeah we've all got the latest patch and routers are set. I just don't get what's going on, any combination of two of us can play but if 3 of us try together it just breaks.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Otherworldly Debris is safe to sell, right? It's the Ancient Coin of postgame?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what patronage value I need to hit gold? Is there anything higher than that?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

Otherworldly Debris is safe to sell, right? It's the Ancient Coin of postgame?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what patronage value I need to hit gold? Is there anything higher than that?

Speaking of, does patronage ever become beneficial? So far it seems like it adds new materials to the shop, but they're never materials I don't already have an abundance of. And it seems like none of them have been necessary for crafting?
Does it ever add any weapons or armor later on or something?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm not sure about the materials, but higher patronage does get more weapons and armor. So far I haven't seen anything that I can't also craft.

Looking at a Japanese wiki, patronage levels are at 2000, 6000, and 30000. Someone on GameFAQs said they're over 30k and don't have gold, but I think it's also dependent on story progression.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo can I get some advice for Terragrinder? Just got to his singleplayer mission and he kept one shotting me once he went crazy and I spent a good 15 minutes just following him around trying to punch him getting mad as hell.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo can I get some advice for Terragrinder? Just got to his singleplayer mission and he kept one shotting me once he went crazy and I spent a good 15 minutes just following him around trying to punch him getting mad as hell.

Bring the NPC with the bow, they usually will shoot him while he's in the air and then he flips around on his back for a few seconds.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Try using a DCT mitama and/or bringing the ninja with you. DCT gets a couple uses of a stun trap that will keep them in place at least for a little bit. I'm not sure if it locks Terragrinder underground if it hits while under though.

In the second form, once you've taken off a couple parts (I think the flippers, but it might be the feet), it'll start landing on the ground after a jump instead of getting back underground, which will also give you a few seconds to hit it some more.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Boinks posted:

Bring the NPC with the bow, they usually will shoot him while he's in the air and then he flips around on his back for a few seconds.

This is actually the worst advice. Nagi has huge problems with Terragrinder. As somebody who will only ever use Gauntlets against Terragrinder, I think they're probably the best option. You need to take advantage of the periods for when it isn't burrowed, and the flurry is great for exactly that. Bring Hayatori and Ibuki since they have guaranteed things with their mitama abilities, and I prefer bringing Ouka as the third. Make sure your weapon is Fire element to take advantage of weakness.

Focus on breaking limbs as often as possible, soften everything up so that when the first one breaks, the rest will follow quickly to extend its downtime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Emalde posted:

As somebody who will only ever use Gauntlets against Terragrinder, I think they're probably the best option.

Look at this guy who hasn't chain-jumped onto Terragrinder as he's sailing through the air.

:dukedog:

Also when you pull him out of the ground, go for the legs first. If one's broken then he'll periodically flounder instead of diving right back in.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't chain-jumped onto Terragrinder as he's sailing through the air.

:dukedog:

Sure, but unless you're already disgustingly equipped, the damage from the flail-grapple wont do anything and you're not going to get an actual attack off. I use Kusarigama for literally everything else, but it's just not worth the effort on Terragrinder.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah, the damage of the grab isn't going to do poo poo, it's just hilarious is all. I have no trouble using kusarigama for him in general, but it does make his second phase kind of.. yeah. Either way, I deal with it, I guess.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What armor/mitama are you using? Terragrinder shouldn't really be one-shotting you if you have decent armor, Jollux is a good option but I'm not sure how much the increased earth resistance will help as I don't know how much of Terragrinder's stuff is considered earth damage. Other than that I recommend a Spirit main mitama for him, if you get one of his back legs targeted and get a full charge Eruption off on it it's usually enough to break the part and bring him to the surface to let you start breaking the others. As someone else said, if you get enough of his legs broke he'll flop around on the ground after a jump instead of diving back underground immediately. If you're only having trouble with the damage and not with actually hitting him, a Speed mitama might be better so you can eat his attacks with Agility/dodge cancel out of the way more effectively, then Vigor+Flurry him to paste. Bring Hayatori as well, the stun traps he throws down help a lot. He's my ninjabro in most fights.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was using Blazebird +7 armor and some Oni Buster generic gauntlets I made combined with a DCT Mitama so... maybe that's why I was getting oneshot by his giant leap in phase 2? I'm not sure.

Decided to hang up the gauntlets for him and try out the bow myself, and while it's much much slower to take him down being out of harms way 90% of the time sure increased my survivability!

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

Emalde posted:

This is actually the worst advice.

Whoa, simmer down there, cowboy. That advice worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

riht posted:

Whoa, simmer down there, cowboy. That advice worked for me.

Terragrinder is my least favorite boss, so I've spent too much time trying to boil it down to the quickest means possible. :negative:

• Locked thread