Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

vyst posted:

Honestly you do a lot of excuses for yourself. "I'll do it tomorrow", "Oh ok i'll get in gear after getting one more size larger" - then all of a sudden you're in a pile of quicksand you can't get out of. Also there's a chemical element behind eating fast food and it's addiction too. Brain chemistry when you have fast food and crave more is similar to a heroin addict. Not that it's a reason but there's definitely a chemical component to it which is why america is fat as poo poo and mcdonalds reigns supreme.
That's fair enough I guess, it's easy to judge an area of life I'm good at but there's a lot of other places where I could improve things with a modicum of effort and can't seem to be assed so maybe I'm just lucky my flaws aren't as glaringly obvious as pounds and pounds of flab.

Thank you for your honest responses even though my initial question was clearly phrased in a dickish way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

That's fair enough I guess, it's easy to judge an area of life I'm good at but there's a lot of other places where I could improve things with a modicum of effort and can't seem to be assed so maybe I'm just lucky my flaws aren't as glaringly obvious as pounds and pounds of flab.

Thank you for your honest responses even though my initial question was clearly phrased in a dickish way.

That guy is loving with you, it really is easy to judge because there's only one good reason people get fat. They just don't care about being healthy, and don't mind being disgusting to their own vision.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
basically the only reason people get fat is because they're disgusting poo poo people & need to be culled like the disgusting cattle they are. being fat is a choice and if you choose to be fat instead of working out to get a sweet bod like me you should just give up and drink bleach. *more sweeping character judgments* *more asserting people should be punished for their appearance*

:btroll: :btroll: :btroll:

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

stoutfish posted:

i eat less than 1000 calories per day, fat people eat ten to fifteen that amount

it's not that hard

wtf is wrong with you

you have an eating disorder son shameful

Dave Schmidt
Feb 20, 2013
I have hashimoto's disease, which is kind of but not really an excuse. I'm still not obese though. I don't get how people get to be so massive.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Let me introduce you to the most evil word in the English language:

"Just."

Stick it near the beginning of some advice, and you can turn someone else's vicious lifelong struggle into a trivial task they should feel ashamed for not having mastered by now. It's the spouse of the smoker saying "You just need to quit those things!"; it's the friends of the clinically depressed woman telling her "You just need to snap out of it!"; it's the dude saying to his heartbroken friend, "You just need to get over her! After all, she's dead!"

Just, just, just. Well, you just need to take this wire brush and cram it all the way into your rear end in a top hat.

My favorite example -- because it's a conversation happening ten thousand times on this planet as we speak -- is when any obese person talks about how hard it is to lose weight, and their thin friends helpfully tell them they "just" need to watch what they eat, and "just" get a little exercise. They "just" need to win the brutal war that has exhausted every ounce of their energy, time, and emotional well-being for as long as they can remember. "And to be honest, dude, it's kind of weird that you and the other 1.4 billion obese people on Earth haven't tried that already."

I'm sure I've said this to people many times over the years, along with all of the other terrible advice on this list. So if I could go back in time, I'd tell Past David, and anyone else offering this condescending, dismissive, wet shart of an attempt at advice, to please grasp something:

The fat people you make fun of and condescend to probably have more willpower than you do.

That's because (and you would know this, Past David, if you were capable of pulling your head out of your own rear end in a top hat long enough to grasp the idea that the universe contains beings who aren't exactly like you), in order to just stay at their weight, even if it's 300 pounds over the healthy level, they have to successfully resist the urge to eat more often than you do. Mocking them for having more fat on their body is like mocking an MMA fighter for having more bruises than you. You're not stronger, you're just living a different life.

That's because obesity physically changes the brain. The obese eat more, because they feel the urge more -- they feel it more often, and they feel it much stronger (if you want details, overweight people have 20 percent higher levels of the "hunger hormone" ghrelin and abnormally low levels of peptide YY, which suppresses the hunger urge). Their muscle tissue also burns fewer calories than yours, meaning each failure costs them twice as much. They usually gained these fat cells in childhood or adolescence, and once you have them, it is physically impossible to lose them without surgery -- dieting can temporarily shrink them, but your entire physiology will work to put them back the way they were.

I know you don't believe me, Past David, because your moral superiority has to come from somewhere, so if you want to know what it's like to be a fat person trying to lose weight, just don't eat or drink anything for the next 72 hours. Sure, you'll make it through a day. Maybe part of a second day. But soon, maybe 30 or 40 hours in, you'll understand how your power to "just" stop eating can be smashed to rubble by the body's base urges. That hunger part of your brain is much stronger, because it's also the part that regulates basic survival.

At that stage, when the starvation triggers get flipped, the thinking part of your brain will start coming up with rationalizations ("Wait, why am I suffering like this just because some Internet writer from the future told me to?"). You'll tell yourself lies to save face. But here is the undisputed truth: I could chain you up in a room with nothing but a box of live cockroaches to eat, and at some point, you will eat them. Your disgust, your self-respect, your dignity, all will eventually be obliterated by the crashing tsunami of your hunger.

And your dieting obese friend feels like that all the time.

"But I lost 15 pounds one summer just by cutting back on chips and soda and walking to work! I know what it's like!" Yes, Past David, and I know what it's like to climb Mount Everest because I have to walk up two flights of stairs to my bedroom. I'm going to get the gently caress away from you before you start wondering aloud why those black people in the ghetto don't "just" get jobs, at which point I'll set your goddamned smug face on fire and ask why you can't "just" stop feeling the pain. And then I'll feel the scars spreading across my own face, because oh poo poo, I just forgot how time travel works.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

the only thing i ate today was a bit of quinoa with chicken and broccoli and a protein bar

help me

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Hi I'm your skeleton inside you posting from this murdered goon's computer

I am only one size and your fatness is loving killing me son

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Giving up sugar is loving hard. I used to wonder why when I set out snacks for parties my musclebound buds would eat a whole box of cookies before they finished their first beer. Then I gave sugar up for lifting and holy poo poo. I get it now.

naem
May 29, 2011

I found that replacing food with some other positive stimuli and psyching myself up helped a bunch but yeah it's hard.

Every little bit helps though it's just like mmos

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

khwarezm posted:

Let me introduce you to the most evil word in the English language:

"Just."

Stick it near the beginning of some advice, and you can turn someone else's vicious lifelong struggle into a trivial task they should feel ashamed for not having mastered by now. It's the spouse of the smoker saying "You just need to quit those things!"; it's the friends of the clinically depressed woman telling her "You just need to snap out of it!"; it's the dude saying to his heartbroken friend, "You just need to get over her! After all, she's dead!"

Just, just, just. Well, you just need to take this wire brush and cram it all the way into your rear end in a top hat.

My favorite example -- because it's a conversation happening ten thousand times on this planet as we speak -- is when any obese person talks about how hard it is to lose weight, and their thin friends helpfully tell them they "just" need to watch what they eat, and "just" get a little exercise. They "just" need to win the brutal war that has exhausted every ounce of their energy, time, and emotional well-being for as long as they can remember. "And to be honest, dude, it's kind of weird that you and the other 1.4 billion obese people on Earth haven't tried that already."

I'm sure I've said this to people many times over the years, along with all of the other terrible advice on this list. So if I could go back in time, I'd tell Past David, and anyone else offering this condescending, dismissive, wet shart of an attempt at advice, to please grasp something:

The fat people you make fun of and condescend to probably have more willpower than you do.

That's because (and you would know this, Past David, if you were capable of pulling your head out of your own rear end in a top hat long enough to grasp the idea that the universe contains beings who aren't exactly like you), in order to just stay at their weight, even if it's 300 pounds over the healthy level, they have to successfully resist the urge to eat more often than you do. Mocking them for having more fat on their body is like mocking an MMA fighter for having more bruises than you. You're not stronger, you're just living a different life.

That's because obesity physically changes the brain. The obese eat more, because they feel the urge more -- they feel it more often, and they feel it much stronger (if you want details, overweight people have 20 percent higher levels of the "hunger hormone" ghrelin and abnormally low levels of peptide YY, which suppresses the hunger urge). Their muscle tissue also burns fewer calories than yours, meaning each failure costs them twice as much. They usually gained these fat cells in childhood or adolescence, and once you have them, it is physically impossible to lose them without surgery -- dieting can temporarily shrink them, but your entire physiology will work to put them back the way they were.

I know you don't believe me, Past David, because your moral superiority has to come from somewhere, so if you want to know what it's like to be a fat person trying to lose weight, just don't eat or drink anything for the next 72 hours. Sure, you'll make it through a day. Maybe part of a second day. But soon, maybe 30 or 40 hours in, you'll understand how your power to "just" stop eating can be smashed to rubble by the body's base urges. That hunger part of your brain is much stronger, because it's also the part that regulates basic survival.

At that stage, when the starvation triggers get flipped, the thinking part of your brain will start coming up with rationalizations ("Wait, why am I suffering like this just because some Internet writer from the future told me to?"). You'll tell yourself lies to save face. But here is the undisputed truth: I could chain you up in a room with nothing but a box of live cockroaches to eat, and at some point, you will eat them. Your disgust, your self-respect, your dignity, all will eventually be obliterated by the crashing tsunami of your hunger.

And your dieting obese friend feels like that all the time.

"But I lost 15 pounds one summer just by cutting back on chips and soda and walking to work! I know what it's like!" Yes, Past David, and I know what it's like to climb Mount Everest because I have to walk up two flights of stairs to my bedroom. I'm going to get the gently caress away from you before you start wondering aloud why those black people in the ghetto don't "just" get jobs, at which point I'll set your goddamned smug face on fire and ask why you can't "just" stop feeling the pain. And then I'll feel the scars spreading across my own face, because oh poo poo, I just forgot how time travel works.

alright so which tumblr did you get that from

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tonsured posted:

Giving up sugar is loving hard. I used to wonder why when I set out snacks for parties my musclebound buds would eat a whole box of cookies before they finished their first beer. Then I gave sugar up for lifting and holy poo poo. I get it now.

Get what?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bargearse posted:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-useless-pieces-advice-everyone-gives/

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bargearse posted:

Luminary cracked columnist David Wong.

Losing weight is a titanic struggle, the thins don't understand our pain.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I remember clicking that link yesterday or something and then seeing each entry had about 6 paragraphs of text and closing it.

Five faces you pull on rollercoasters explained by science!

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?

Sugar is ravenously addictive. You can go down to under 12 grams a day isolated and build your willpower all you want, but when sweet sweet sugar is available and you've used up all your willpower-you cave. Hard.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orkin Mang posted:

I remember clicking that link yesterday or something and then seeing each entry had about 6 paragraphs of text and closing it.

Five faces you pull on rollercoasters explained by science!
It's not that bad of an article as far as cracked stuff goes but it's mostly just whining that life isn't easy and there's no good short cuts or tricks to success. It's like yeah, just going for it is easier if you've been successful in the past but you're only going to have past successes if you just loving go for it until you're successful. The advice is simplistic because it's simple to identify the right thing to do, the hard part is actually following through with it.

About the only criticism in the article I agree with on a fundamental level is the one about "just being yourself" because realistically some people really need to change who they are if they want any social/career success. That's just universally terrible advice to give to someone who is being a person no one wants to date/hire.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Counting calories is pretty easy as poo poo to do. Take your current weight, multiply by 12, subtract 500 and you'll lose 2-4lbs a week.

Track that poo poo on myfitnesspal and you're golden.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

For weight loss, I think it's important to have planned successes. Short term goals that you both plan for, and take time to celebrate. Start small, something easily obtainable, then challenge yourself to a higher goal once you've accomplished the first. It doesn't particularly matter what the goal is, be it running a mile or giving up soda, but just keep adding new goals until you've reached a place you're comfortable with.

Edit: This type of approach, boosts your willpower little by little over time. You're far less likely to overwork yourself and fall off the horse and instead fortify yourself to endure even more lifestyle changes. It breaks apart lofty goals into easy to conceive chunks. Losing 50 pounds might seem impossible, but five pounds, hell you can lose that just by catching the flu. As you have more and more successes, you'll be able to imagine greater and greater challenges for yourself to overcome.

Tonsured fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 31, 2014

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
i'm sick of clothes not being able to fit me cuz i'm too skinny in the waist, you fatties have it easy

#fatprivilege #fatculture #skinnywoes

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Kinsky posted:

basically the only reason people get fat is because they're disgusting poo poo people & need to be culled like the disgusting cattle they are. being fat is a choice and if you choose to be fat instead of working out to get a sweet bod like me you should just give up and drink bleach. *more sweeping character judgments* *more asserting people should be punished for their appearance*

:btroll: :btroll: :btroll:

I'm right there with you. 6000 calories a day from high furctose corn syrup and trans fats isn't a choice, it's being dealt a bad hand in genetics and living in an environment that doesn't foster a healthy lifestyle. Like California where the weather is always lovely and there aren't enough healthy food choices.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Do some folks just not know about diet soda? You can still drink a shitload of it and, you know, not gain weight for it anymore.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
diet soda is for women

Christian LARPer
Sep 9, 2005
I LIKE TO CALL WOMEN CUNTS WHEN I DISAGREE WITH THEM BECAUSE I'M SUPER FUCKING EDGY. I SHOULD PROBABLY SHUT THE FUCK UP BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT, CUNT?
start off walking 1-2 miles three days a week, then once you're no longer a loving blob start jogging 2-3 miles those same three days.

you can still eat foods you like, but you can't sit around cramming chips and cookies in your face while playing video games all day. on workout days, have a large breakfast, normal lunch and dinner, no snacks. non-workout days, eat three normal meals.

also stop drinking soda, regular and diet. drink iced tea with lemon if you need a cool drink with caffeine. this poo poo isn't hard.

if you drink alcohol, stick to booze on the rocks. if you love beer, buy some better stuff and drink less of it.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Ein cooler Typ posted:

diet soda is for women

and they look worse overweight than men do.

Dave Schmidt
Feb 20, 2013
What some people need to understand is that genetics come in to play with the size you will be. Some people can eat like a horse and weigh 100 lbs, some people have to work their asses off to simply maintain a healthy weight. Also it's pretty hard to "just go out and exercise" when you have, for example, hypothyroidism. I wake up every day with negative amounts of energy. Ive started walking for 1 hour a day to get the ball rolling.
You can't just put all fat people into one category that is "lazy lump that eats a loving ton of food."

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Dangerously Thin Bodies

Christian LARPer
Sep 9, 2005
I LIKE TO CALL WOMEN CUNTS WHEN I DISAGREE WITH THEM BECAUSE I'M SUPER FUCKING EDGY. I SHOULD PROBABLY SHUT THE FUCK UP BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT, CUNT?

Fiona The Human posted:

Also it's pretty hard to "just go out and exercise" when you have, for example, hypothyroidism. I wake up every day with negative amounts of energy. Ive started walking for 1 hour a day to get the ball rolling.

even if you aren't on thyroid medication for that, walking is a perfectly safe way to exercise.

if you want to increase your thyroid function eat more eggs, fish, and shellfish. avoid nuts.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I used to be 130kg standing at 171cm, so as you can imagine I was quite loving huge at that weight.

I got that down to 80kg over 18 months and have maintained this weight for the last three years. So it is definitely loving possible to come back from being obese, anyone who tells you otherwise is full of poo poo.

How did I achieve this feat? A few simple things;
- Cut out most of my sugar intake eg. no soda or sweets (luckily not a big sweet tooth anyway).
- Cut out highly refined carbs eg. white bread, pasta etc.
- Limited alcohol to once a month.
- Counted calories (a good male benchmark is 1500 a day)
- Exercise! (more specifically a balance of cardio and strength)

The only thing that sucks is I'm probably going to need surgery at some stage to remove excess skin.

Dave Schmidt
Feb 20, 2013

Christian LARPer posted:

even if you aren't on thyroid medication for that, walking is a perfectly safe way to exercise.

if you want to increase your thyroid function eat more eggs, fish, and shellfish. avoid nuts.

Yeah I really hate fish, but eggs are great. Now if only I could remember to take my pills every day.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
If you're fat stop eating food until you're skinny. Take a multi-vitamin to make sure that you get what you need.

Christian LARPer
Sep 9, 2005

No Longer Flaky posted:

If you're fat stop eating food until you're skinny. Take a multi-vitamin to make sure that you get what you need.

this is unhealthy but if you don't want to exercise it's the second best way to lose weight.

go buy a bottle of multivitamins, also vitamins D, C, and B, and don't eat more than like 500 calories a day. you'll start dropping massive pounds as your body eats itself into a weird-shaped ghost of a fat person.

or you could get off your lazy rear end and walk around for a while until you're light enough to run around.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Food is the worst addiction as you can't give it up.....

I kickbox, do a bit of jiu jitsu, run and lift weights I also eat healthy most of the time i could stand to lose 20lbs I just loving love bread/chocolate/lovely energy drinks(helps get through the nightshifts).

It's all well and good saying don't sit on your arse all day where colleagues feel the need to bring in biscuits and donuts but if that's what your job requires and gently caress me do I have a sweet tooth, it also doesn't help having a 6ft 5 (I'm really quite short myself) 19 stone armchair fitness guru as a work buddy who despite going to the gym all of 3 times in a year feels the need to give me advice on working out, hilariously he recently went to the gym to work out his deadlift 1rep max (after extensive google research) and got all cocky saying how he was "quite strong and could probably do lift quite a bit" .......he struggled with 60kg and it reallllllllly winds him up that his chubby bald stumpy colleague lifts well over double that.

Okay I need to stop venting about my idiot colleague and go jogging or something....

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

since it seems people are still seriousposting I'd like to reiterate that while exercise is a great idea for numerous health reasons, it isn't going to do poo poo for weight loss compared to diet changes

the myth that exercise is how you lose weight is responsible for a lot of poorly informed fatties giving up because it takes 20 minutes of jogging to burn off the amount of calories in one dry slice of bread

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Torka posted:

since it seems people are still seriousposting I'd like to reiterate that while exercise is a great idea for numerous health reasons, it isn't going to do poo poo for weight loss compared to diet changes

the myth that exercise is how you lose weight is responsible for a lot of poorly informed fatties giving up because it takes 20 minutes of jogging to burn off the amount of calories in one dry slice of bread

Diet is crucial but 50-60 minutes of honest to god jogging (not speed walking) will burn about 500-600 calories. That's easily an entire lunch removed from your caloric intake. Combining diet changes and real exercise will net the most benefit.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Diet is crucial but 50-60 minutes of honest to god jogging (not speed walking) will burn about 500-600 calories. That's easily an entire lunch removed from your caloric intake. Combining diet changes and real exercise will net the most benefit.

Really though that's a lovely reason to jog. Jog because it's good to have good cardio. Hell you'll even develop some muscles doing it (assuming an otherwise sedentary lifestyle (extremely safe assumption)) which will increase your base metabolic rate a teensy bit, but probably enough that it makes more of a difference than your individual runs. If you drink a gatorade after the average jog, all calories are replenished.

edit: best reason to run is because it feels good in your leggys

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Diet is crucial but 50-60 minutes of honest to god jogging (not speed walking) will burn about 500-600 calories.

lol and also destroy your knees if you're more than about 20 pounds overweight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Generally speaking, most people who are overweight are also really dumb due to their fat literally crushing their skulls and so aren't very likely to take much good advice.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm overweight

(dickwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Here's my story:
Before my daughter was born I was a 160cm 56kg fatarse.
After 3 months of being off work and looking after her, now are down to 51kg.

The secret being that at work I get free soft drinks and at home I just drink cordial.

• Locked thread