Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Tehdas posted:

Here's my story:
Before my daughter was born I was a 160cm 56kg fatarse.
After 3 months of being off work and looking after her, now are down to 51kg.

The secret being that at work I get free soft drinks and at home I just drink cordial.

How about just drink water. Buy two large waterbottles and a water filter then only drink from your waterbottles at work and only refill the water bottles with water. Eventually you'll crave water and other things will be a nice treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Gross Dude posted:

Growing up, my parents were bad at food,so i was a giant fat kid, so fat that i was forced to stay after gym for fat kid gym, which didn't really do much.Then I graduated from high school, moved out and lost a hundred and twenty pounds. Why do fat People choose to live life as a fat person?Or, if you are fat, tell me, tell me at what point you'd say to yourself, woah, I hosed up, i should lose weight. Or, are you so far gone that the only joy in life left is stuffing your maw and glutinous belly with processed corn products?

this is the sad thing.

many fat kids have lovely parents (parents who overfeed them or only buy crap food).

in many cases, the fat kids turn into fat and miserable adults - which one day begin overfeeding their young.

congrats OP, you survived, hopefully not now drowning in loose skin.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Dear goons with mental illnesses: pacing and muttering to yourself all day burns a lot of calories.

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp
i had a distended tummy in middle school from lack of food. 90%+ of my calories my senior high school year were from candy sugar. Go mental illness!

I get fat people - I'm skinny (because i'm an alcoholic) and i haven't adjusted my diet and exericise habits to make my body image better. oh well, making some small improvements lately will hopefully be at the gym regular in no time :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

breadingbutter posted:

i had a distended tummy in middle school from lack of food. 90%+ of my calories my senior high school year were from pure sugar. Go mental illness!

I get fat people - I'm skinny (because i'm an alcoholic) and i haven't adjusted my diet and exericise habits to make my body image better. oh well, making some small improvements lately will hopefully be at the gym regular in no time :)

lol

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp

lol

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

breadingbutter posted:

i had a distended tummy in middle school from lack of food. 90%+ of my calories my senior high school year were from pure sugar. Go mental illness!

Have you thought about not drinking alcohol as a first step towards being healthy or has that just not crossed your mind

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Christian LARPer posted:

even if you aren't on thyroid medication for that, walking is a perfectly safe way to exercise.

if you want to increase your thyroid function eat more eggs, fish, and shellfish. avoid nuts.

Wow good advice eat eggs to make your thyroid better. This one wierd trick endocrinologists hate.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Torka posted:

lol and also destroy your knees if you're more than about 20 pounds overweight

If you are super fat, you can walk and get the same general impact as people who are half your size jogging. Dude who is 200 pounds jogging for an hour might burn like 600 calories, whereas the guy who is 400 pounds walking for an hour will burn 500. Walking isn't exactly no stress on the body, but it's certainly easier on the knees and joints than jogging. That would be the one 'benefit' of being fat when working out. You are never just doing whatever activity you are doing, you are doing that and carrying around a shitload of extra weight. Fat people burn more calories than skinny people doing the same things. If the super fatty above *did* run for an hour and not cripple himself, he'd find himself burning about 1,200 calories compared to the guy half his size.

Really a lot of people would see a lot of impact on their weight by drinking more water, eliminating the most egregious poo poo in their diet [I have more respect for someone who drinks a milkshake a day while dieting than someone that would drink a Pepsi. At least the milkshake has more vitamins and minerals, even if it has more calories. That Pepsi is pure dead weight.], and walk for an hour a day. That and eat more slowly. You won't lose a million pounds in two months or anything, but it's not the most radical change to most lifestyles and it'll make a big difference over time.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If your lifestyle is mostly sedentary you're likely loving up your brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24114875

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I used to weigh a good 200 lbs and none of that was muscle. So I wasn't FAT, but I was flabby. What did it for me was making thinks like Coke a rare treat. Basically I almost never have sugar unless it's in my food or whatever. I might eat candy once a week. This practice has also been fabulous for my teeth. Also sometimes I just don't eat for a day or two because I'll blow all my money on stupid stuff and don't want to eat tuna or whatever so I'll just fast for the hell of it save for maybe a beer or two for some calories. Oh and riding a bike 7 miles a day for the last 7 months has helped lately, although I do kind of have a pot belly now(like a handful of fat, but entering your 30's and not working out hard will do that to most people.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

focal ischemia posted:

My posts can only be explained by sitting on my rear end and looking at rocks 16 hours in a row every loving day.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

focal ischemia posted:

IIRC exercising regularly makes you more alert and reflexive. It has for me anyway. At the very least it reduces anxiety and depression.
Cycling on a bike path is an easy way to burn calories (compared to running) if you have the time.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2580/exercise-does-running-burn-more-calories-than-walking this is a good article on running vs speedwalking

quote:

4. To return to our main point, running consumes more calories per unit of distance than walking.
For a person who weighs 70 kilograms (about 154 pounds), walking at 5 kilometers per hour (3.1 miles per hour) consumes 50 calories per kilometer, whereas running at 10 kph (6.2 mph) consumes 78 calories per kilometer.

5. Aha, you say, running is better than walking! Not necessarily, even if we narrowly define "better" as "consumes more calories." When you begin a workout your body is metabolizing carbohydrates, but as the minutes tick by you start burning fat--at minute 50 of light exercise, you're chugging along on a 75/25 fat/carb mix. Sixty percent of your maximum aerobic capacity (reached at roughly 75 percent of maximal heart rate, which is generally calculated as 220 minus your age) is optimal for fat burning; as exercise becomes increasingly strenuous you start burning more carbs. Some have seized on these facts to claim that sustained low- to moderate-intensity exercise is a better way to shed flab than going all out. The point is hotly disputed; I merely note that for the significantly overweight, walking can be easier on the heart, joints, etc.

Basically if you can't/hate to jog for whatever reason speed walk because it's almost as good. Personally I have terrible trick joints and young person arthritis so jogging would be a dumb thing for me to do. Yeah jogging will burn a bit more then speed walking but speed walking will definitely make a huge impact too.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Take 15 minutes every couple of days to blast your heart rate to 180bpm and then back down to baseline as many times as you can and lose weight while you play video games because that's how HIIT works

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Take 15 minutes every couple of days to blast your heart rate to 180bpm and then back down to baseline as many times as you can and lose weight while you play video games because that's how HIIT works

Just pick up an amphetamine habit. You'll walk a long distance and your heart rate will pick up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only way I really can go above 165-70 (5'11) is if I start lifting weights and increase my average calories by like 1000 or something.

edit:
Yeah, if you have HC it's really easy to get adderall, which I'm not suggesting anyone do. I legitimately need the stuff but I was blown away at how easy it was. My doctor just handed me a test and even though I answered honestly it was obvious that anyone that wants to get the stuff just has to answer dishonestly.

You'll also drink a lot more water and eat less.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 31, 2014

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Haam posted:

i'm sick of clothes not being able to fit me cuz i'm too skinny in the waist, you fatties have it easy

this but unironically

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ArbitraryC posted:

I didn't get fat in the first place? Seriously I can't imagine getting more than like 10-20 pounds heavier than I am now and not doing something about it. This is what always confuses me about fat people, do you really sorta just see your waist ballooning and just sigh to yourself "well, looks like I gotta go buy new pants"?
I used to be super loving skinny, so when I finally started to put on weight it was kind of a relief, and the steady climb towards normal made weight gain the new status quo for me. To put it into numbers, I only grew 2 inches more from when I was at my skinniest, but put on 77 lbs, and this didn't make me overweight. I put on another 20 on top of that though, at which point it was precisely what you point out that made me adjust my eating habits. I really can't imagine just not reacting to it when your waist starts bulging out, and I had grown used to gaining weight for about a decade at that point. Maybe it's different if you've always been fat? Really, making kids fat should count as child abuse.

Boogaleeboo posted:

You are never just doing whatever activity you are doing
You're also NOT doing something, which for fatties seems to be stuffing their face.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I dropped from 90 kg to 80 from August to December, and have stayed at around 80 since I didn't bother to exercise for a month.

Unfortunately, I still have a baby face.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Page Downfall posted:

this but unironically

Serious clothes shopping in most of America sucks cause S, M & L usually refer to length of shirt, but all 3 sizes are made for fat people =/.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

No Longer Flaky posted:

How about just drink water. Buy two large waterbottles and a water filter then only drink from your waterbottles at work and only refill the water bottles with water. Eventually you'll crave water and other things will be a nice treat.

this.

i am no fatty, but i quit drinking soda, and i lost weight just like that.

gently caress you coca cola.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
So many people's weight problems would disappear if they stopped drinking food. Soda, juice, snapple, iced coffee: doesn't matter.

Eat fruit, drink water.

And stay away from aspartame as a sugar substitute.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Have you thought about not drinking alcohol as a first step towards being healthy or has that just not crossed your mind

Sorry, but like obesity alcoholism is a disease so there is nothing I can do about it :(

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

So many people's weight problems would disappear if they stopped drinking food. Soda, juice, snapple, iced coffee: doesn't matter.

Eat fruit, drink water.

And stay away from aspartame as a sugar substitute.

If you are living by yourself or do the shopping for the household:
- Don't go shopping hungry
- Make a list with things to buy
- Don't buy sodas
- Don't buy sweet and fatty snacks
- Buy fruits and vegetables you can snack on instead

If you have something fattening at home, you can bet that you will eat it. But if you don't even buy that poo poo, it's easier to avoid.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're fat and a goon in 2014 you're doing something wrong and are literally dumb as hell. If you're a girl goon lose some weight so a man cane love you.

client
Aug 19, 2010

i basically subsisted entirely on chick fil a and milwaukee's beast for a whole year once and topped out at like 175 so lol that people somehow manage to get fatter than a door frame or w/e

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

as a size zero my life is very difficult in comparison to fat people

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

client posted:

i basically subsisted entirely on chick fil a and milwaukee's beast for a whole year once and topped out at like 175 so lol that people somehow manage to get fatter than a door frame or w/e

my friend eats pizza basically everyday but you don't get fat if you're incredibly unhealthy and basicaly just eating a meal a day.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

vyst posted:

I lost 200 pounds in 2013. What have you faggots done?

I was able to bench, clean, squat and deadlift my weight in 2013

e: Working out is great because I get to eat like a fatass, but my body actually USES what I put into it, instead of just storing it and me getting fatter. I work corporate america, mon-fri 8:30-5:30/6. I get off and lift, I usually take Mondays (worst gym days) and Fridays off. I pull a two-a-day on either Sat or Sun every week. Last weekend I woke up, went to the gym, did legs, came home, cooked 2.5lbs of ground beef and ate tacos until I couldn't move. Smoked a bunch of weed, played DOTA for six hours, went back to the gym, did back (sometimes shoulders), went to IHOP, got 8 eggs and 2 orders of hashbrowns, picked up ribs and wings on the way home. Went home played DOTA, ate some popcorn with the ribs and wings with a movie passed the gently caress out. As Ice Cube would say

Also,

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Best way I kept calories low were diet sodas only. That 5 calorie Minute Maid Lemonade was the best thing I could find that didn't taste "diet". The low calorie bread paired with a buddings meat packet and thin sliced cheese made lunch an easy ~350 calories for two sandwiches. Dinner is fine depending how many calories you have left. Have a steak and potato. Go out to Arby's and have a Roast Beef sandwich, they have shitall for calories. Check out KFCs seasoned grilled chicken, it'll surprise you. Or just grab chicken breasts and steamed veggies and chow down. Stay away from anything breaded, and french fries. Instant weight loss.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
7 pages. This is a controversial issue with goons I see

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
Fat people are terrible. Trust me I am fat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Average Bear posted:

7 pages. This is a controversial issue with goons I see

this is thin privilege (lol)

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I lost 30 pounds the last 5 weeks. Just by eating a 1300 calorie diet and working in construction. No sugar, 1 serving of fruit. 5 servings of veggies, 4 servings of protein, 2 grains, 3 dairy. It's the laziest and easiest diet.

rand
Apr 26, 2003
i'm 23% body fat. is that fat

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Seriously though, losing weight is like 90 percent diet.

Edit: I got fit when I did all that poo poo goons talk about endlessly in that fitness forum. It was pretty helpful to be honest and not poo poo post.

Get a food scale and sign up to myfitnesspal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it makes me loving angry when poeple call veg veggies

gently caress you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NoneSuch posted:

it makes me loving angry when poeple call veg veggies

gently caress you

Your mom is my favorite veg to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

vyst posted:

Your mom is my favorite veg to gently caress

see this is fine, you're cool in my book.

• Locked thread