Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bones jones
Jan 29, 2014

by Ralp
This is my favorite example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtmXnQZ6Qk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The scene in Monster Squad where Frankenstein's Monster finds a Halloween mask of his face horrifying and then flips out after realizing that that is what he actually looks like and there's a long shot of him and the kids walking off together.

bones jones
Jan 29, 2014

by Ralp

Neo Rasa posted:

The scene in Monster Squad where Frankenstein's Monster finds a Halloween mask of his face horrifying and then flips out after realizing that that is what he actually looks like and there's a long shot of him and the kids walking off together.

frankenstein's monster is definitely the most tragic ghouly, but I think skeleton is more cunning so yeah

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
When Shaun has to shoot his mum near the end of Shaun of the Dead. And also, everything in the cellar at the end.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Kate in Gremlins posted:

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible.

It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell.

The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly.

And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fun fact about that Gremlins bit, it almost didn't make it into the film. The execs wanted to cut it because they weren't sure if it was supposed to be funny or sad. Joe Dante fought tooth and nail to keep it in because he felt it perfectly summed up the film in one note - a mix of comedy and horror. Spielberg (who produced) wasn't a big fan of the scene either, but he felt it was Dante's film and backed him up, which led to the execs allowing him to keep it in.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Colin Mochrie, of all people, in "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl." Amid all the wink-wink silliness of Joan Cusack and Stanley Tucci and Jane Krakowski (and Wallace Shawn), he's surprisingly sad as a hobo who abandoned his family when he couldn't support them. For an American girl film this movie doesn't pull its punches.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Click is a pretty terrible and silly movie but I found the scene towards the end when he's passed his life away and hosed up to be really sad. If it ended right about there instead of the stupid deus ex machina ending, it woulda been a solid movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
In honor of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I really liked this scene from the (in my opinion) underrated The Boat That Rocked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPk6a1mBMuk

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There was a scene in the Street Fighter movie where Bison explains how little the destruction of a village mattered to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ooo, I thought of a good one: in Zombieland, when you find out that the story Woody Harrelson's been telling about his dog dying was actually about his child. It's a pretty blindsiding moment that works even better because it's immediately followed by one of the biggest laughs in the film.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
edit: n/m... forgot it was "poignant" and not "sad"

The one that comes to mind for me for this sort of thing is when George actually thinks that he's responsible for Michael falling off the balcony during the last J. Walter Weatherman episode in Arrested Development. One of the few times you're allowed to see how totally gutted he'd be if something actually happened to his favorite son.

No Wave has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Feb 5, 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

When Shaun has to shoot his mum near the end of Shaun of the Dead. And also, everything in the cellar at the end.

That's one of the reasons why Shaun of the Dead is one of my all-time favorite movies. Not only does it dip into some genuinely dramatic moments amidst the comedy, but they do so without it feeling out of place, and then seamlessly return to comedy.

I'm trying to think of a moment from a movie I don't like that kind of lifts it up, but nothing comes to mind.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Liar, Liar is a silly Jim Carrey movie where he can't stop commenting on women's tits out loud, and beats himself up with a toilet seat. But that last court scene where he starts yelling at the judge, "I hold myself in contempt! Why should you be any different!" and I just lose it. :ohdear:

Also, not a movie, but while I'm confessing: I own the first season of The Joe Schmoe Show on DVD and I am a sobbing wreck during the whole last episode.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I love The Wizard, although I would never call it a good movie. Anyway, the ending with the Cabazon Dinosaurs really got to me, when you realize how much this poor, withdrawn kid misses his sister. :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One line in The Incredibles:

"I'm not strong enough!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baron Bifford posted:

There was a scene in the Street Fighter movie where Bison explains how little the destruction of a village mattered to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

This is still a pretty ridiculous scene, the actress who plays Chun-Li is so bad. The only thing that makes it poignant is knowing Raul Julia was really sick and seeing all the ways they tried to hide it on film.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Xaris posted:

Click is a pretty terrible and silly movie but I found the scene towards the end when he's passed his life away and hosed up to be really sad. If it ended right about there instead of the stupid deus ex machina ending, it woulda been a solid movie.

This scene tears me apart, can't even watch it anymore. Reminds me a bit too much of my mother passed away.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The Hangover, at the end when Stu confronts his girlfriend about her being an awful person etc. The entire scene is quite good but I do love Alan's simple response of "no thank you" when told to get hosed by her. It did make them actually seem like comrades who stuck up and cared for one another.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
This thread is pretty PYF-ey, but I like it, so I'm gonna let it live for a bit.

To contribute, John Candy's "Genuine article" speech in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles intercut with Steve Martin's face in response is one of my favorite examples.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The life vignette in Up. Took me five watches not to cry. It just so beautifully and meaningfully captured an average life that it hurt.

For something non-animation, the character arc of Hans in Seven Psychopaths. My god, what a beautiful story in a movie about a dog-kidnapping ring.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The montage in Wolverine Origins. There's Wolverine and Sabertooth running away together, surviving, fighting and gradually growing apart from each other over the decades (because one's a maniac).

The rest of the movie is junk.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it image in Daybreakers that strongly informs the Vampires-Running-The-World story. The vampires tried to reach an agreement with humans so that both can survive, but the humans rejected it. It's depressingly poignant.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Vargo posted:

This thread is pretty PYF-ey, but I like it, so I'm gonna let it live for a bit.

To contribute, John Candy's "Genuine article" speech in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles intercut with Steve Martin's face in response is one of my favorite examples.
I can't believe I didn't think of this scene in my favorite movie of all time.

That scene hits me in particular because you can tell both John Candy and Steve Martin play themselves. John Candy's gregarious, goodhearted Del Griffith and Steve Martin's intelligent but withdrawn Neal Page feel like they come directly from the actors' real lives. I don't even feel like John Candy acted when he gave that speech.

I hated the episode of Family Guy where Peter "spoofed" the film by reciting that scene. Like virtually everything else about Family Guy, it felt like something between plagiarism and half-assed filler.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know if I would say that Darkman is a silly movie per se, but it is a pretty gonzo action flick (so basically, Sam Raimi at his best). Yet amidst all of the melting masks and carnie finger breaking shenanigans, there's a particular scene that stands out as being more "real" than the rest of the film.

When the scene occurs, Peyton Westlake has largely been obsessed with two things: revenge against those who barbecued his laboratory and destroyed his life, and getting his mask formula to extend beyond 99 minutes without decomposing. While working on the latter, his hand accidentally catches fire from a Bunsen burner. Westlake, who has had extensive nerve damage, finally confronts the scope of his losses in a fairly devastating little bit of acting by the great Liam Neeson.

"They took my hands..."

Scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsw6aFRBWwk

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
In Freddy Got Fingered after his showing of cartoons intro and it shows him laying on his bed with the little synth sound after he stops laughing. Summary of every persons life on this website.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In The Croods near the end when the father is throwing his family across this big rear end gap while the land is collapsing behind him and his son, who up till then had mainly been seen being dumb and running around terrified of everything just goes "You're not coming are you?" and Nick Cage Caveman says "When you make it, so will I."

That whole section was shockingly heartfelt during a silly Pixar movie that up till then mainly was full of screaming and silly faces.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Batman Forever had one or two of these. You have well done scenes like the death of Robin's family or Bruce being tormented by his past and his meetings with Chase, and then the movie radically shifts tones back to the Tommy Lee and Jim Carrey variety hour. It's a very surreal film punctuated with some glimpses of genuinely good material.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cyra posted:

Batman Forever had one or two of these. You have well done scenes like the death of Robin's family or Bruce being tormented by his past and his meetings with Chase, and then the movie radically shifts tones back to the Tommy Lee and Jim Carrey variety hour. It's a very surreal film punctuated with some glimpses of genuinely good material.

That's why a lot of people give Forever a pass and push all the hate onto B&R, I think. Well, not so much a pass but are light on criticism. You can tell Schumacher had plans for some dark exploration (and early drafts indicate that) and you see fragments of it like Bruce Wayne explaining to Robin why revenge will destroy him ("You'll just find another face, and another...") and the Red Book subplot but then you get stuff like the Batmobile driving up walls and Bruce Wayne surviving a literal fireball by caping-up and pushing a button. It's known that WB wanted a kids-friendly movie after Batman Returns scared little kids with McDonalds axing the Happy Meal promotion so I believe it was a tug-of-war between Schumacher and WB with WB winning in the end.

But, yeah, I agree with you that Forever had some pretty poignant moments. I was 10 when I saw it in theatres and I remember Bruce Wayne's argument against revenge to Robin leaving a very lasting impact on me.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The ending to Toy story 3

I've seen lots of animated movies with emotional moments, the montage in UP, littlefoots mother dying, and Bambi's mother getting shot, but none of those stack up to a movie who's entire premise was Toys that could come alive.

I've followed Toy story since its first inception in theatres, being a kid around the time, Toy story 3 was right up my ally since I was preparing for college around then. But that ending, THAT ENDING was a gut punch, the movie sticks a knife into my heart during the inferno scene and just keeps twisting it in thereafter.

Those Toys went through adventure with Andy their toy owner and by themselves during the 3 movies, and when Andy played with them one last time I was a running faucet.

So long partner.:unsmith:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
There's a part in The Lego Movie where Unicat sees her home world in ruins and she's trying to stay positive and suppress her negative feelings. It's actually a pretty gut-wrenching scene. Just to see her so unable to express her emotions and to have difficulty coping with her loss in a healthy way… she pretty much has a breakdown at that moment. :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The scene of any movie I cry the most to is the climax of The Green Mile. I know it's not exactly a comedy, but has quite a few laughs through the movie. Another good cry is when Amelie cries just before the end (of her namesake movie), and the Vader funeral in Star Wars.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Wes Anderson tends to have somewhat sad, thoughtful scenes in his films, which otherwise tend to be pretty silly. The first one that came to mind is in Moonrise Kingdom Where Captain Sharp and Sam are eating dinner in Sharp's trailer and Sam asks "Have you loved someone ever?". At the time in the film when it happens, it's just so perfect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Really in a broad sense, while a comedy Groundhog Day is pretty poignant and even spiritual (I think its in a few official top ten Spiritual films of all time lists), but what really stands out in that movie is Bill's character trying to prevent the old homeless guy from dying and failing everytime, and since this movie is only a few repeats of an apparently 10,000 cycle :stare:, his character probably tried saving him for way longer than the scenes we saw.

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009
The ending of 'Mrs. Doubtfire'. "All my love to you, poppet, you're going to be all right...Bye-bye."

'Tommy Boy'. I like the moment near the end with Chris Farley and David Spade on the bench. Spade says something like, "You got a friend out of it. And I know that might not mean a lot because you have so many. But, I don't."

In 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' when they visit the museum.

'Home Alone'. The end. The old man got to me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Star Trek 5 is a mess of horror, but the scene where Bones shares his secret pain almost made the rest of the trash worth sitting through. DeForest Kelly was a master of his craft.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I know a few people must've cried themselves during Underworld: Rise of The Lycans when Viktor executed his pregnant daughter and then cried in anguish in his bedroom. Including me. It made me wonder if he actually allowed Selene to bisect his head at the end of the first movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
At the end of The Substitute where Tom Beringer and a fellow mercenary shoot up other mercenaries of this High School (with the head thug played by singer Marc Anthony aka Mr J Lo) the fellow merc is like "oh man we shot up the school poor kids what are they gonna do" it's actually pretty :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's totally ridiculous but in Freddy Vs Jason there's one death that the movie sort of slows down to acknowledge. It's a strange moment since most of the deaths in the movie are just done without regard and tossed aside except for that one.

• Locked thread