Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the scene with Eddie and Roger hiding at the theater watching a Goofy cartoon. Which segues into Valiant talking about losing his brother.

The combination of it being one long take slowly moving into Bob Hoskins' face. One of the best displays of acting in a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The combination of it being one long take slowly moving into Bob Hoskins' face. One of the best displays of acting in a film.

See also: the Long Good Friday.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

From Finding Nemo, Dory pleading with Marlin not to leave her. Seeing as the whole joke with her character is her short term memory loss, that scene takes that joke and flips it on its head.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yeah that's...that's pretty much how I realized my mortality at the age of 5 or so. And apparently I had blocked it pretty well but now :stare:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

effectual posted:

What the gently caress? I had to turn this off after 15 secs, it's horrifying.

:ssh: he doesn't die But I agree it's a really scary sequence, followed by a really sad sequence, and seemed really, really intense for a "kids" movie.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

geeves posted:

For me, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While I'd argue the whole movie is pretty drat good, the scenes with Splinter and Raphael, Splinter and Danny (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciTSjAe73Y) and the mystical seance that kickstarts the last act really hit home in a personal way.

I watched the first film again recently and honestly thought that had they made it just a bit more violent and more "teen" rather then "kiddy" they could have made a very classic film that would have been well regarded generally.

It's still a drat good film for its subject matter and really very mature in its subject matter and tone but the fight scenes are just a bit too silly at times to be consistent.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The first thing that sprang to mind after seeing this thread title was the montage at the end of The World's End. By the time the credits rolled, I had realized that movie was both the best comedy and the best sci-fi film that I'd seen in a long time.

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf
That scene in Blues Brothers when they get into Elwood's tiny one-room flat and Jake falls asleep, exhausted, while Elwood makes toast on the hob with a clothes hanger.

"Hey you sleaze, that's my bed!"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

jabby posted:

It's not a silly movie by any means, but the bit in The Breakfast Club where Vernon confronts Bender in the supply closet. Just a great moment where suddenly all the comedy is gone out of their relationship.

The scene in The Breakfast Club that always gets me is Bender acting out "life in the Bender house" for the rest of the group, it's really the moment where the movie starts shifting toward a more serious tone. Though really, I think most of the John Hughes bratpack movies have a moment or two of this. Like in Pretty In Pink when Molly Ringwald's dad tells Ducky all about his divorce and how his wife left him.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

geeves posted:

For me, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While I'd argue the whole movie is pretty drat good, the scenes with Splinter and Raphael, Splinter and Danny (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciTSjAe73Y) and the mystical seance that kickstarts the last act really hit home in a personal way.

I always liked how Leonardo doesn't leave Raphael's side while Raphael is recovering from that big beating he took.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The end of Men in Black 3, when Will Smith returns to present day to find Tommy Jones in the diner. The realization that Agent K has effectively been a guardian angel/father figure to J his whole life. Gives me a lump in my throat every time I see it.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Emmet's speech to Lord Business near the end of The Lego Movie was actually really moving. The whole movie up to that point is a fun, silly, and incredibly accurate representation of what goes through a kid's head when playing with lego blocks, but then there's that powerful message of what it means to be creative and how people build new and interesting ideas from the ideas other people had before them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm surprised nobody has posted the scene from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" where John Candy's character responds to Steve Martin's abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIqwX5bkOE

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DandyLion posted:

The end of Men in Black 3, when Will Smith returns to present day to find Tommy Jones in the diner. The realization that Agent K has effectively been a guardian angel/father figure to J his whole life. Gives me a lump in my throat every time I see it.

The scene at the baseball stadium. Every little thing adds up to make a single, important event.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. One of the many running jokes in the series is the robot TV lurking about town. When Flint and co. return to find their town full of sentient food, the TV appears dressed like a native held in high regard. His screen is a loop of Flint explaining how his machine works, the very machine that gave these creatures life. Flint is their god and the TV is his prophet.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm really glad I don't have to feel bad about getting sad at Click. Most of it really sucked and the ending kind of ruined the impact of the sad scenes but man. That scene linked earlier is pretty sad, but way worse for me is the scene with his father. Maybe it's just because my dad is pretty much Henry Winkler, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hS20iPDUc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Odd Thomas, based on the Dean Koontz novel, is a movie about Chekov from Abrams Star Trek seeing dead people and by God he does something about it (including finding the killer and the beating the crap out of him).

Two scenes stuck with me. One was after Odd captures the aforementioned killer of a teenage girl, and Odd says to her ghost that he's sorry her life was so short. She kisses him and then walks away on a swimming pool before fading into her afterlife. Odd just sounds so sad there, but Willem Dafoe comes along soon after to lightens things up a bit. :unsmith:

Then there's the ending where Odd finds out that his girlfriend Stormy, who he has been spending the time with celebrating the foiling of a mass mall murder, has actually been dead the whole time they were together. It's worse when you know it's coming, because if you paid attention Stormy never said a word or interacted with anyone else after Odd sees her at the mall. The final shot of the movie was Odd standing on a hill overlooking Las Vegas, where Stormy was planning on moving to but Odd was reluctant to follow because according to him Vegas is full of bad guys and he might never get a rest there. It's a bitter sweet ending, because Odd narrates that he will eventually see Stormy even if it takes 60 years, but until then he has a lot to do in Vegas.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Mar 20, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got curious about that film and struck gold.

wikipedia posted:

Odd Thomas (Yelchin) lives in a small town in California called Pico Mundo. His morning of August 14 begins with him coming out of his apartment, and meeting the ghost of a teenage girl named Penny Kallisto, who silently leads him to a street, where Harlo Landerson rolls his Pontiac convertible beside Odd and says hello. Odd immediately pulls the keys out of the ignition and accuses Harlo of raping and murdering Penny, noting two pieces of white felt from the victim that Harlo apparently has in his pocket. Harlo flees and Odd gives chase, with the chase culminating inside a child's room in a stranger's house. Harlo and Odd have a fistfight and Odd knocks Harlo unconscious. Odd waits on the scene and meets with his friend, police chief Wyatt Porter (Dafoe), who knows somewhat of Odd's psychic gifts and promises to spin the story to keep public attention away from Odd, as Odd does not want that attention. In his narration, he says, "I see dead people, but then, by God, I do something about it".

From there, he goes to his job as a short-order cook, where he ends up serving lunch to a strange man (Hensley) with a haircut that resembles some kind of mold.
That's the greatest plot summary I've ever read and I hope the film is exactly that, no more, no less.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
How could Babe: Pig in the City be mentioned without talking about one of the most beautiful things to ever happen in a kid's movie?

I don't remember the movie from childhood at all, yet Jesse Thorn describing the scene where Babe becomes a Christ-like figure of empathy makes me choke up every time:

https://soundcloud.com/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/outshot-babe

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That DICK! posted:

I'm really glad I don't have to feel bad about getting sad at Click. Most of it really sucked and the ending kind of ruined the impact of the sad scenes but man. That scene linked earlier is pretty sad, but way worse for me is the scene with his father. Maybe it's just because my dad is pretty much Henry Winkler, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hS20iPDUc

You are so right. People say Click is pretty sad for a comedy for the scene posted earlier, but this is the scene that one kills me. And my dad isn't Henry Winkler.

I just now realized I've looked at and appreciated my father a whole lot more because of this movie. Again, because of loving Click. But that scene really stuck with me. This isn't something I'm proud of but it is something I just realized rewatching this scene.

I also like Adam Sandler but that's probably because I've seen more of his serious movies than his comedies.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Up is supposed to be a fun little comedic romp adventure with a dog that is able to talk, a hyper boy scout, and a grumpy old man that has a thousand balloons tied to his house.

Hope you got tissues ready as the movie starts. Oh and you'll never look at picture albums the same again.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm going to go ahead and declare Troy a silly movie, because it's 90 percent terrible. But the 10-15 minute sequence starting with Achilles challenging Hector, their incredible duel, and then King Priam visiting Achilles to beg for Hector's body back. That whole set of scenes belongs in a much better movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Galaxy Quest is a very silly movie indeed. The original Star Trek cast is mistaken for actual space heroes by aliens and recruited for a dangerous mission, except if you called it Star Trek in the film you'd get sued. Alan Rickman plays the show's Leonard Nimoy analogue - a classically trained actor stuck in his 20-year-old role as an alien man with silly prosthetics and a catchphrase he loathes. It's not helping that one of the aliens idolizes his character on the show and has modeled his own life after his philosophy (that is, on real Earth, being used to advertise special offers at the local electronics shop).

Then towards the end there's a scene that has no right to be anything but sappy and the payoff may have been telegraphed miles ahead, but by god this is Alan Rickman at the helm and he delivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7bo_A6XnUU

(Sadly it's also the point where his character stops being very interesting or prolific but even so, it's an obvious turning point for him, and Rickman portrays him as much more at ease with his castmates from that point on.)

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In one of the Final Destination sequels there's a scene with a teenage girl who falls into a nailgun somehow and ends up with a dozen nails through her skull. But it doesn't kill her right away and for a split second she's still conscious and aware of what just happened and that she's about to die and just starts crying. That scene really stuck with me.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
I will go to bat for Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle because of that scene where Harold and Kumar sing to Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" after stealing the white bros' awful SUV. It's supposed to be funny but I'm a sucker for a happy, earnest friendship without any homophobic "no homo" bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHwvM8Lw4v0

The series, for all its goofiness (and the super cringeworthy "cockmeat sandwich" opening scene of Escape from Guantanamo Bay), really simply wanted to tell a cute story of two POC friends growing up, growing apart, finding love, cementing their bond, and smoking some good weed in a racist culture. :shobon:

Treguna Mekoides has a new favorite as of 23:12 on May 11, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fandyien posted:

I'm surprised nobody has posted the scene from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" where John Candy's character responds to Steve Martin's abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIqwX5bkOE

I think someone mentioned it on the first or second page.

Clerks is pretty silly at points, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time, mainly because it Randal. The scene where he tells Dante to stop being a little birch and take responsibility for his life has always stuck with me:

Randal:Oh, gently caress you! gently caress you, pal! Jesus, there you go again trying to pass the buck. I'm the source of all your misery. Who closed the store to play hockey? Who closed the store to go to a wake? Who tried to win back his ex girlfriend without even discussing how he felt with his present one? You wanna blame somebody? Blame yourself. "I'm not even supposed to be here today."
[throws stuff at Dante]
You sound like an rear end in a top hat! Jesus, nobody twisted your arm to be here today. You're here of your own volition. You like to think the weight of the world rests on your shoulders. Like this place would fall apart if Dante wasn't here. Jesus, you overcompensate for having what's basically a monkey's job. You push loving buttons. Anybody can waltz in here and do our jobs. You... You're so obsessed with making it seem so much more epic, so much more important than it really is. Christ, you work in a convenience store, Dante! And badly, I might add! I work in a lovely video store, badly as well.
[sighs]
You know, that guy Jay's got it right, man. He has no delusions about what he does. Us... we like to make ourselves seem so much more important than the people that come in here to buy a paper, or, God forbid... cigarettes. We look down on them as if we're so advanced. Well, if we're so loving advanced, what are we doing working here?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Clerks II was a comedy until Randall said that he wanted to reopen the Quick-E-Mart. And at the end when it faded to black and white I got a little misty.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Galaxy Quest is a very silly movie indeed. The original Star Trek cast is mistaken for actual space heroes by aliens and recruited for a dangerous mission, except if you called it Star Trek in the film you'd get sued. Alan Rickman plays the show's Leonard Nimoy analogue - a classically trained actor stuck in his 20-year-old role as an alien man with silly prosthetics and a catchphrase he loathes. It's not helping that one of the aliens idolizes his character on the show and has modeled his own life after his philosophy (that is, on real Earth, being used to advertise special offers at the local electronics shop).

Then towards the end there's a scene that has no right to be anything but sappy and the payoff may have been telegraphed miles ahead, but by god this is Alan Rickman at the helm and he delivers.

(Sadly it's also the point where his character stops being very interesting or prolific but even so, it's an obvious turning point for him, and Rickman portrays him as much more at ease with his castmates from that point on.)

GalaxyQuest loving owns for this alone, if we ignore everything else that was awesome in that movie.

Not a silly movie overall compared to some Disney ones, but in Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph watches the other kid racers demolish Vanellope's homemade racer, and does nothing to stop it...until one of the kids throws her in the mud (which happens to him multiple times a day in his own game), and later when he dreamcrushes her attempt to enter the race, and in desperation finally destroys the racer he made with her to keep her safe and alive. The screams and crying from the kid are pretty bad for a Disney flick. poo poo, just the fact he can't even look at her after her cart is in a hundred pieces is pretty bad. You still admire his very blank face while he smashes the thing though. Wrecking stuff is all he does, he breaks apartments every day, but this cart is personal.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.

Cowslips Warren posted:

GalaxyQuest loving owns for this alone, if we ignore everything else that was awesome in that movie.

Not a silly movie overall compared to some Disney ones, but in Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph watches the other kid racers demolish Vanellope's homemade racer, and does nothing to stop it...until one of the kids throws her in the mud (which happens to him multiple times a day in his own game), and later when he dreamcrushes her attempt to enter the race, and in desperation finally destroys the racer he made with her to keep her safe and alive. The screams and crying from the kid are pretty bad for a Disney flick. poo poo, just the fact he can't even look at her after her cart is in a hundred pieces is pretty bad. You still admire his very blank face while he smashes the thing though. Wrecking stuff is all he does, he breaks apartments every day, but this cart is personal.

I'm 28 and I openly cried at that scene. Holy poo poo, I don't like Sarah Silverman at all, but she did a very good job as Vanellope.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Benji: The Hunted is a kids movie about a dog. A little dog that protects some mountain lions after their mum is killed.

There is a scene where Benji's owners, (who have been looking all over for him), arrive on the mountain in a helicopter and are calling out to him. Benji is mere feet from the helicopter hiding in the bushes with the cubs.

Whoever shot this is a genius, becuse you can see Benji's dilemma perfectly, does he go home to the family he loves that loves him, where he will be warm and safe, but if he does that he will be abandoning these defenceless babies. He chooses to stay and protect the cubs.

That scene broke my heart as a child watching it, and as a 30+ year old man it still gets me teary eyed.

I remember nothing else about that movie at all, but it was all worth it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I know it's been mentioned, but Babe: Pig in the City really had a ton of amazing moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjKkQG1djs&t=30s
"my human tied me in a bag and throwd me in the water"

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Benji: The Hunted is a kids movie about a dog. A little dog that protects some mountain lions after their mum is killed.

There is a scene where Benji's owners, (who have been looking all over for him), arrive on the mountain in a helicopter and are calling out to him. Benji is mere feet from the helicopter hiding in the bushes with the cubs.

Whoever shot this is a genius, becuse you can see Benji's dilemma perfectly, does he go home to the family he loves that loves him, where he will be warm and safe, but if he does that he will be abandoning these defenceless babies. He chooses to stay and protect the cubs.

That scene broke my heart as a child watching it, and as a 30+ year old man it still gets me teary eyed.

I remember nothing else about that movie at all, but it was all worth it.

The cub getting taken by the eagle or whatever was loving hardcore.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I actually enjoyed the whole movie, but in Star Trek (2009) Thor has to defend the Federation evacuees from the Romulans while his wife is giving birth to Kirk on an escape pod. The look on his face when he hears Jim cry just kills me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

I actually enjoyed the whole movie, but in Star Trek (2009) Thor has to defend the Federation evacuees from the Romulans while his wife is giving birth to Kirk on an escape pod. The look on his face when he hears Jim cry just kills me.

For some reason, Thor looks a lot like Ray Liotta in that role.. It's one of the best scenes in the new Trek films.

somtt
Jan 5, 2013

I thought this movie was laughably sappy and melodramatic, but this scene is regarded as one of the best uses of music in film and I couldn't agree more.

https://vimeo.com/95815301

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There are a few scenes that got me in Danny the Dog (Unleashed in the US), which is basically about Bob Hoskins raising Jet Li to be a human attack dog. The whole found-family thing with Morgan Freeman and his adopted daughter was surprisingly sweet in an otherwise dumb-but-entertaining film.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chas McGill posted:

There are a few scenes that got me in Danny the Dog (Unleashed in the US), which is basically about Bob Hoskins raising Jet Li to be a human attack dog. The whole found-family thing with Morgan Freeman and his adopted daughter was surprisingly sweet in an otherwise dumb-but-entertaining film.

Unleashed was a surprisingly decent film, probably helped by having Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman, and the fight scenes were pretty good as well for a western Jet Li movie.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just watched this again (I LOVE Galaxy Quest) for the first time in probably ten years and holy balls it ruined me. Like I was seconds away from disgusting sobs.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

cool kids inc. posted:

I just watched this again (I LOVE Galaxy Quest) for the first time in probably ten years and holy balls it ruined me. Like I was seconds away from disgusting sobs.

The part where they are torturing the squid dude and Tim Allen had to come clean with it made me sad. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Until Galaxy Quest I never figured just how weird the concept of fiction would be to describe to a person with no prior experience. It's basically a structured lie that we allow ourselves to be told. If the details of the lie are consistent, we can buy it for a few hours and meet the liar halfway, otherwise the lie is blown and out disbelief shatters. Basically, we like being lied to if we are in on the lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Decrepus posted:

The part where they are torturing the squid dude and Tim Allen had to come clean with it made me sad. :(

That but whyyyyyyyy.

• Locked thread