Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think my biggest concern about the movie is that it will be like the Tranformers movies where it's about the human characters reacting to the presence of the Turtles instead of the Turtles being the main characters themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I actually came away feeling cautiously optimistic. The faces will take some getting used to, but overall I was pretty happy with what was in the trailer.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
From former TMNT artist/writer Mark Martin:

Mark Martin posted:

Michael Bay Turtle doodled from memory while on hold for AAA

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Revoltech figures of the cartoon:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1240067&postcount=1600

https://twitter.com/turtles_info/status/450141062376333312/photo/1/large

Looks pretty drat sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat, I want those.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha, Raph's alt rage face and Donny's alt drool face are great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never bought an RT figure before and I'm seeing prices all over the map, what can I expect to shell out (heh) for these?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Rhyno posted:

I've never bought an RT figure before and I'm seeing prices all over the map, what can I expect to shell out (heh) for these?

I'm in New Zealand and they're usually $80NZD. So thats $48USD if that helps.

Revoltechs are great, it would be amazing if we got a Revoltech IDW Leo figure...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I know they planned to do one before it was scrapped (or at least the four turtles themselves), but its always kind of bummed me out that they haven't made a TMNT Heroclix set. There are enough characters to make a series of 24 like the streetfighter set and they would fit in nicely with the other comic/game type series.

You'd think with all of the merchandising the TMNT get up to it would be a no brainer.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Peter Laird's TMNT Volume 4 lives, issue #32 is printed: http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/hell-freezes-over-part-3-back-from.html

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan...s=ninja+turtles

40% off this new history book at the moment. Looks to be a great book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't usually like Santolouco's art here, but those metalhead action scenes were loving radical!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't usually like Santolouco's art here, but those metalhead action scenes were loving radical!

Donatello was angry because he asked his mad scientist buddy for a megathread.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Pizzaface- all a dream, or real villain? You decide!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Good news, everyone! The long wait for a toy featuring an adolescent Raphael in loose-fitting jockey shorts is finally over!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Leonardo looks like he got hit with a Naruto phase really hard.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wasn't exaggerating when I said there were hundreds of toys, we could probably have an entire thread just about the vehicles that were made for the old TMNT action figures.

They had a fuckin' tank and a jet fighter. :black101:

My nephew's found my old Turtle blimp and Turtle van 30 days ago. They have yet to pick up their Dora & Diego companion accessories. Dora now rides in a Turtle-camo Goodrich blimp with 12-bomb cargo to bring green-ecoterrorism to whoever the hell Dora usually take a smackdown to. The great thing in retrospect about the Turtles gimmick was they were basically Popculture "lego". Your 1980's gi-joe's need some random demon to fight ? You got a evil alien and any 1 random monster with spacey weapons. Need a orc or a mystical wizard creature ? Hey, the toy does more supporting cast roles than Joe Pecchi in the Mob movie mania pre-1996.

Proof positive, the 80's had the best toys. Almost worth writing a letter to Matel about, who last I checked is in full on panic mode as to why people play with Lego/Minecraft or 1970-80 rebrands vs. their new disney sub-contracts.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Turtles In Time coming out before the annual where the Turtles actually meet Renet is brilliantly meta.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
The new show introduced the humans who will mutate into Bebop and Rocksteady a couple of episodes ago. Bebop is surprisingly cool, in a James Brown: Superspy kind of way. His mohawk shoots frickin' laser discs. Last week we got brain switching hijinks and several awkward shots of Casey Jones in April's body, checking "himself" out.

And for any who would appreciate this: I just finished a playthrough of Persona 3 Portable as FeMC Casey Jones with a hockey stick as her only weapon.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So, ... Rat King. He sure did fill an issue. And he might be related to Kitsune?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Inkspot posted:

So, ... Rat King. He sure did fill an issue. And he might be related to Kitsune?

He is most definitely related to Kitsune.

I cant help but feel like the Rat Kings story is going to be picked up more after the initially planned 50 issue Krang/Foot run. Its too tonally different and jarring to be wrapped up in less than 14 issues.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Truth. The Rat King is so wildly different from series to series, and I was not expecting some kind of vampiric, inter-dimensional Pied Piper, but with him and Renet showing up, I'm even more excited for them to get back out to Northampton and go crazy with the mystical stuff before bringing in Triceratons and more of the sci-fi elements.

There's so much TMNT history to pull from, with so few missteps so far, I'm curious to see what IDW would do with things like Venus or secondary mutations. See if they can salvage some of the ideas that are universally detested and make them work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current ongoing comic is on sale. https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Sale/page/2964
Would I be fine to just read the City Fall collections and not anything before?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current ongoing comic is on sale. https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Sale/page/2964
Would I be fine to just read the City Fall collections and not anything before?

Id start from the start honestly. City Fall ends the second major story arc, the first being 1-12, but City Fall is hinted at from as early as issue 8.

Make sure you also read Secret History of the Foot Clan before City Fall as it is essential reading.

You can skip the Krang War volume, however. It is only for if you're really invested in the General Krang story. It probably should have been a seperate miniseries while Secret History should have been main series.

Veg fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Guardians of the Galaxy got me to go back in a comic shop for the first time in awhile, and while there I saw the IDW Turtles series which piqued my interest. I read trades 1 and 2 and now I'm hooked. I love the art and updated story. It's just really good poo poo. I'm gonna pick up the rest of the main electronic trades now while they are 50 percent off (including the Foot Clan one mentioned).

I'm a bit confused at all the side trades though. Are they just generally for filling in backstory on other characters (like the villians series) or do they feature events happening concurrently with the main story? Thanks for the help. Looking forward to starting a pull & hold again after I catch up!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The micro-series all pay off in some way or another, even if many of them seem totally superfluous at first, and should be slotted between the numbered issues of the ongoing. The timeline up on TMNT Entity looks to be pretty solid.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Great link! Thank you so much for posting that. It clears up a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inkspot posted:

Truth. The Rat King is so wildly different from series to series, and I was not expecting some kind of vampiric, inter-dimensional Pied Piper, but with him and Renet showing up, I'm even more excited for them to get back out to Northampton and go crazy with the mystical stuff before bringing in Triceratons and more of the sci-fi elements.

I gotta say I'm disappointed that he's not just an insane homeless man in this version, but he does fit well in the new mythos. The comic keeps being pretty radical. (yes, I just caught up)

quote:

There's so much TMNT history to pull from, with so few missteps so far, I'm curious to see what IDW would do with things like Venus or secondary mutations. See if they can salvage some of the ideas that are universally detested and make them work.

Venus will never appear in any medium ever again.

E: Forgot to say that I'm not a huge fan of how cutesy the turtles have been drawn for a while. I kinda feel like they're trying to match the design of the new cartoon, but it's just kinda weird for a comic that occasionally has blood splattering deaths.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 7, 2014

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

Venus will never appear in any medium ever again.

E: Forgot to say that I'm not a huge fan of how cutesy the turtles have been drawn for a while. I kinda feel like they're trying to match the design of the new cartoon, but it's just kinda weird for a comic that occasionally has blood splattering deaths.

The Northampton arc, I'm guessing? Ross Campbell REEEEEEEEEALLY has a thing for cutesy turtles. His TMNT fan-comic gives you a sense of just how much he's being forced to tone it down by IDW.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I think it gave a nice tone change for the Northhampton arc.

Turtles in Time could have benefit more from a.. more horror based artist maybe?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've been burning through the trades and am up to General Krang and I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

funtax posted:

The Northampton arc, I'm guessing? Ross Campbell REEEEEEEEEALLY has a thing for cutesy turtles. His TMNT fan-comic gives you a sense of just how much he's being forced to tone it down by IDW.

Hm. I just assumed it was an attempted to ape the new cartoon due to April's new (terrible) haircut. Speaking of weird visual changes, why did they retcon Casey into wearing a normal boring Hockey mask anyway?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've been burning through the trades and am up to General Krang and I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this series.

Krang owns so much in this version. His one-shot is one of my favorite comics in the line.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 8, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I liked the Northampton art way more, tbh. The current artist just doesn't do it for me most of the time, but every now and then there's an action scene where everything looks so perfect and intense that I forgive everything.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of weird visual changes, why did they retcon Casey into wearing a normal boring Hockey mask anyway?

Not sure what you mean. Casey has almost always worn a normal/old school hockey mask.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He has skull paint AND a hockey mask in the Nick show. Pretty sure he's been mask-only in the comics, though.

Campbell's art is great, but the cutesy expressions and bandages do get a bit tiring. I miss Andy Kuhn.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Inkspot posted:

He has skull paint AND a hockey mask in the Nick show. Pretty sure he's been mask-only in the comics, though.

Campbell's art is great, but the cutesy expressions and bandages do get a bit tiring. I miss Andy Kuhn.

I miss the Bates fellow who drew Krang War and Bebop/R'steady micro

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Hi guys, I just found this thread and as a casual TMNT from 2003 on, I'm curious about if as someone who knows about the Mirage and every other continuity but wants to try the IDW sale, can I go into it entirely without needing to read anything else?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Solaris Knight posted:

Hi guys, I just found this thread and as a casual TMNT from 2003 on, I'm curious about if as someone who knows about the Mirage and every other continuity but wants to try the IDW sale, can I go into it entirely without needing to read anything else?
IDW's run is a thing all by itself. It doesn't rely on the mirage or anything else.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

Yeah man,

You'll be safe reading IDW #1-20, then read their Secret History of the Foot miniseries then go from #21 to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

funtax posted:

Not sure what you mean. Casey has almost always worn a normal/old school hockey mask.

Nah man he used to wear a cool skull-shaped one, but since his dad turned into Hun he's been wearing a Jason style mask, and people refer to it as "his old mask", which is confusing me.

• Locked thread