Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
YoungRad Drake was more or less wearing the UC1 pre-release Drake's shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
SO, this only begs the question: how long has Nate actually had that shirt? And how did he get it to fit his older self?

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Drake hasn't gotten taller since he was 15. He just looks shorter in the flashback through camera and light trickery.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sartorius posted:

Drake hasn't gotten taller since he was 15. He just looks shorter in the flashback through camera and light trickery.

Also Sully has actually shrunk over the 20 years.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Herr Tog posted:

I was not looking forward to this because this LP won't have robots, buying skills, or spines. Just humans shooting humans :\ but then the first episode got me excited for what this could be. Then the second episode :\

Thanks for all the LPs.

My dream game is basically just Metal Gear Rising with Sully as your primary radio contact.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Drake: "Sully I just pulled out this man's spine!"

Sully: "Reminds me of Mexico City but unlike this I had to deal with her the next morning!"

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013

Viashino_wizard posted:

My dream game is basically just Metal Gear Rising with Sully as your primary radio contact.

Add in a Drake one-liner button input similar to the swearing button of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Viashino_wizard posted:

Neflame posted:

Add in a Drake one-liner button input similar to the swearing button of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

Jesus where is this game? gently caress Uncharted 3

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

The moment I saw this, the only thing playing in my head was this.

So in other words, it's pretty much perfect.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

Zarah posted:

The moment I saw this, the only thing playing in my head was this.

So in other words, it's pretty much perfect.
Drake goes to high school and has a giant cell phone and can inexplicably stop time. Sully is the principal. Elena is the cheerful volleyball star love interest, and Chloe is the stylish snob. Jeff is Screech.

They get into shenanigans and steal ancient treasure and fight mummies. A lot of people die every episode.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But does he have his baseball cap on backwards?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
If I remember correctly this game came out right during Sony's big push for 3D Televisions, which, I think, is a big part of why lots of segments of this game don't exactly mash all that well in terms of story flow. When you're playing it on a regular screen, but knowing that they had a 3D screen in mind, you can really feel this sense of "wouldn't it be cool to have all these big 3D set pieces? We'll figure out how they come together after we build them".

Also one of the bonus features is a dev interview where they're talking about how they were trying to get water to render realistically, and they eventually came up with a way to create waves that were all procedurally generated. I think the quote was something like "They wanted me to spend time rendering and animating water to be realistic, so instead I just found a way to build them an ocean". Combing through the extra features and looking at the game as a flagship piece of 3D media you can really see where the project just kind of got away from them in the end.

But man what a hell of a good strong opening this game had.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Male of the Century posted:

If I remember correctly this game came out right during Sony's big push for 3D Televisions, which, I think, is a big part of why lots of segments of this game don't exactly mash all that well in terms of story flow. When you're playing it on a regular screen, but knowing that they had a 3D screen in mind, you can really feel this sense of "wouldn't it be cool to have all these big 3D set pieces? We'll figure out how they come together after we build them".

Say what you will about the game's flow, but Uncharted 3 is honestly my favorite in the series as far as the setpieces go. Individually none of them win out versus the train level, but taken as a whole, I found this game to be a lot more impressive and memorable than the other two in that regard. I could point to a few specific ones that I liked, but obviously I don't want to spoil anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't know where I'm getting this, so someone can go ahead and correct me, but I vaguely recall a date smewhere in Uncharted 2 that pegged at least the first game as being in the early 90's.

Which would mean Drake was a 70's kid, so sorry to bust the best fanart ever.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
No way that's the 70's. Mid to late 80's at the very earliest.

If kid Drake is supposed to be in the 70's then the designers had not the faintest idea what the 70's looked like in south america.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty sure present day parts Uncharted are meant to be set in the present day to their release dates.

In fact, they have to be because The Gherkin in the London skyline is there and open, so it's at least 2004+ and why would you set a game 6 years into the past?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 1, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Cleretic posted:

I don't know where I'm getting this, so someone can go ahead and correct me, but I vaguely recall a date smewhere in Uncharted 2 that pegged at least the first game as being in the early 90's.

Which would mean Drake was a 70's kid, so sorry to bust the best fanart ever.

I thought it was set in 2001, based on in-game materials. Assuming Uncharted 3 is a few years later, that could easily put it in 2004 and the flashback in 1984, but gently caress that! Drake is way better as a :krad: 90s dude with lots of 'tude! Crank up the Sound Garden, grab a Surge, and strap on your moon shoes! It's treasure huntin' time!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Everything about kid Drake's design screams '90's :krad: dudebro' to me; his clothes and mannerisms are fairly stereotypical for that mold and given the amount of thought that goes into character (especially main character) designs I doubt that is unintentional.

pillow fort cohort
Oct 9, 2012
Drake's journal in Uncharted 2 has his relationship with Elena happening in 2006, and the last girl he was with was Dec 2008, which puts the second game in 2009 at the earliest. Add however much time has passed between Uncharted 2 and 3, then subtract 20?

Anyway, really excited for this LP.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well then assuming at least a year or so has passed which doesn't seem unreasonable that would indeed put kid drake in the early 90's.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pillow fort cohort posted:

Drake's journal in Uncharted 2 has his relationship with Elena happening in 2006, and the last girl he was with was Dec 2008, which puts the second game in 2009 at the earliest. Add however much time has passed between Uncharted 2 and 3, then subtract 20?

Anyway, really excited for this LP.
Going by that (and with the lack of any evidence to the contrary) the games take place close to the time they were released. UC1 around 2006-2007, UC2 2009-ish and UC3 2011-2012. Golden Abyss is a prequel so it doesn't really fit though.

Also is one of the women (Karis) tagged with "on skype"? That's hilarious.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Also is one of the women (Karis) tagged with "on skype"? That's hilarious.

It replaces her phone number. Also, Drake: notorious womanizer. You know who else had a lot of sex? Jake Conway. In fact, Drake sounds a lot like Jake...

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
According to Naughty Dog the period between each game within the continuity is the same as the development period for each game, meaning U3 takes place around four years after the first one. This is info that I grabbed from the special edition guide for 3, but I can't seem to find the book right now.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Drake and Chloe first met at a gun show in Tulsa? Maybe they were both hired to steal the same antique rifle or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh my god I can't believe I missed this thread until now, every time I scrolled past it I kept thinking it was by some busta. I don't have a PSTriple, so I've been looking forward to a top-quality Uncharted 3 LP since I watched my friend marathon the second game while we got increasingly shitfaced and got interested in a series I'd never be able to play.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 1, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thunk posted:

Drake and Chloe first met at a gun show in Tulsa? Maybe they were both hired to steal the same antique rifle or something.

"You're gonna miss this rear endault rifle."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thunk posted:

If the official canon isn't that Drake won her over with a one liner about tickets to the gun show then I have lost all faith in Naughty Dog.

edit: By the way, Chip, I've got a question about your videos. At 720p, what's the general output filesize of your final for-upload videos? Just wondering if there's a ballpark estimate. Sorry if you answered that already on the tumblr I'm slowly chewing my way through all the Q/A stuff.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 2, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Assoonasitits posted:

According to Naughty Dog the period between each game within the continuity is the same as the development period for each game, meaning U3 takes place around four years after the first one. This is info that I grabbed from the special edition guide for 3, but I can't seem to find the book right now.

Drake gonna have grey hair in Uncharted 4. :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Gaz-L posted:

Drake gonna have grey hair in Uncharted 4. :(

Uncharted 4 will have an older Drake forced back into the adventuring life at the request of the NSA while simultaneously being forced into a caretaker role for wayward teenage son he never knew he had with the love interest of the first game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AriadneThread posted:

Uncharted 4 will have an older Drake forced back into the adventuring life at the request of the NSA while simultaneously being forced into a caretaker role for wayward teenage son he never knew he had with the love interest of the first game.
Oh god it's Kingdom of the Crystal Skull all over again

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

AriadneThread posted:

Nah, he'll run into some street rat in the middle of a heist who claims to be a direct descendant of Ferdinand Magellan - he's got talent but lacks skill, and cycle will be complete.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Nah, he'll run into some street rat in the middle of a heist who claims to be a direct descendant of Ferdinand Magellan - he's got talent but lacks skill, and cycle will be complete.

…okay I would actually love to see Drake become the new Sully.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Speedball posted:

…okay I would actually love to see Drake become the new Sully.

"Kid, did I ever tell you about the time I fought an Eastern European war criminal in the ruins of a lost city?"

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh god it's Kingdom of the Crystal Skull all over again

Almost feels like you're baiting :thejoke:

And very happy to see this, I've been trying to find someone I can lure into an excuse for me to watch/play the third game again and Chip has saved somebody else 10 hours of playing a game for mostly my amusement.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair; Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would be a lot more thematically appropriate for the universe Nathan Drake inhabits than the universe Indiana Jones inhabits. Indiana Jones and Aliens is never going to feel right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno about that. Uncharted 2 was basically a Scooby Doo mystery, dumping actual aliens would just as stupid in this series as it was for Indiana Jones. Though if Drake hides from an explosion in a refrigerator as tome point I'm sold.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno about that. Uncharted 2 was basically a Scooby Doo mystery, dumping actual aliens would just as stupid in this series as it was for Indiana Jones. Though if Drake hides from an explosion in a refrigerator as tome point I'm sold.

Yeah but Uncharted as a series is a lot more 'absurd' than Indiana Jones. Indy is crazy but all the wierd stuff he runs into is either just crazy people or interference from God (Ark of the Covenant, Holy Grail). Throwing aliens into Indy's universe which has already established the existence of the Abrahamic God is just wierd and out of place. Wheras I don't think any gods have been established to exist in the Uncharted universe (and it's a much more 'modern' styled universe) so ancient alien astronauts feel less out of place there than they do in the Indiana Jones unvierse.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
YES. IT BEGINS AGAIN.

Already played this game, but hell if I skip this LP.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

This has already begun and it's already magical. Sully seems to have been a pretty good dad for Drakelette there: he taught good habits (always keep your contact information clearly recorded and separated), prevented his bad ones from rubbing off on him (Drake isn't a bottomless hive of drugs and STDs), and kept an eye on his drinking habits.

Neruz posted:

Yeah but Uncharted as a series is a lot more 'absurd' than Indiana Jones. Indy is crazy but all the wierd stuff he runs into is either just crazy people or interference from God (Ark of the Covenant, Holy Grail). Throwing aliens into Indy's universe which has already established the existence of the Abrahamic God is just wierd and out of place. Wheras I don't think any gods have been established to exist in the Uncharted universe (and it's a much more 'modern' styled universe) so ancient alien astronauts feel less out of place there than they do in the Indiana Jones unvierse.
Indiana Jones already had the Abrahamic God existing in the same universe as the Hindu pantheon*, so if you're looking for any sort of universe-taste-test it's already toast. I mean, aliens probably contradict both of those subjects less than they do each other.

*A pantheon with actual legit powers to boot, so even if we go with old testament 'well the other gods exist but they're just fraudulent demons' that's not gonna work too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

It was just a joke :eng99:

• Locked thread