Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

HellCopter posted:

When does this LP update anyway? I need to see more of Sully.

Sully is like a fine wine and is to be savored. Don't guzzle it all down in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Geemer posted:

Sully is like a fine wine and is to be savored. Don't guzzle it all down in one go.

....Ew. :ohdear:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

Yeah it was a lame boss fight but it's the climax of Drake's internal struggle, not the larger struggle of the secret society, Francis Drake, the Queen, etc.

I was actually happy that (end game spoiler, I guess) there was no real boss fight like the second game. I hated the fight with Lazaravic in Uncharted 2.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Two videos in, and we're already discussing the last ten minutes of the game.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Well yeah, you can't expect goons to actually respect one of the two simple requests of the OP, can you?

This game's opening looked so goddamn good, and going back to watch the previous Uncharted LPs made me realize I've apparently missed out on a really good series. :catstare:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

bathroomrage posted:

This game's opening looked so goddamn good, and going back to watch the previous Uncharted LPs made me realize I've apparently missed out on a really good series. :catstare:

I played through the whole series in a bit over a week this fall after finally getting a PS3. I wasn't really that interested in them initially but 3 was free on PS+ and I like to play game series in order, so I figured I might as well play through the whole thing since the older ones are pretty cheap these days.

Turns out they're really loving great games. After powering through 2 in three days I thought I should really take a break before I burn myself out here.

The next day I started 3 and finished it in two days. 1, while being the shortest of the three, took me the longest in real time because it wasn't until well over the halfway point of that game that I had gotten completely into it and just had to see what's Nathan Drake up to next. Uncharted's great, Nate's great, Elena's great, Sully's great, everything's great.

I watched the previous two LP's immediately after finishing the games, so I'll definitely be following this.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I hear the Pope's a catholic, too

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
I have a feeling that if one where to sit down and listen to all of Sully's strange and mildly disturbing tales, you would not only learn how to please any woman you meet but also learn the secrets of the universe. Albeit the greasy, sticky secrets, but secrets of the universe all the same.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

I was actually happy that (end game spoiler, I guess) there was no real boss fight like the second game. I hated the fight with Lazaravic in Uncharted 2.

I feel like every shotgun dude in Uncharted 3 is basically a mini-Lazaravic. They're worlds tougher in 3.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Hey all, remember the OP - we're only like 2 videos in, we don't have to discuss endgame spoiler stuff right now.

Thanks,
The Mgmt

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Once I found out about Cutter being Lazarevic's mocap actor, I couldn't stop seeing him as some sort of distant, slightly paunchy relative :v:

I gotta agree with the sentiment that this wasn't as good as Uncharted 2. It felt like there were a few layers of polish which were just, well, missing. A few encounters early on (and later in the game) got me kind of grumpy with the title as a whole. As it stands, I played this only once, but Uncharted 2 roped me in for 5-6 full playthroughs. I can't think of the last time I wanted to play through a game that many times :psyduck:

Geop fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 4, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
3 was definitely a letdown from 2, but it was still pretty drat fun for most of it.

Also, I really, really hope we get to see more Doughnut Drake.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
This game has the best set piece ever in it but right before that set piece is the worst part of the whole game. I've played this game three times and every time I remember my favourite part and forget about the awful, awful lead up to it. I like this game, though, because even though a bunch of it is kinda bad it has the best Drake out of all the Drakes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sully is the human embodiment of the gristle and oil left behind in the pan after you cook bacon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ViggyNash posted:

3 was definitely a letdown from 2, but it was still pretty drat fun for most of it.

Also, I really, really hope we get to see more Doughnut Drake.

I think along with most extras, 3 does not feature doughnut Drake. They were behind schedule towards the end of development iirc.

nope wrong

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think along with most extras, 3 does not feature doughnut Drake. They were behind schedule towards the end of development iirc.

nope wrong

I made sure to check before posting. 3 did remove Zero Gravity, which was also pretty fun to gently caress around with in 2.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I got this game well after they'd patched the weird aiming poo poo and I enjoyed it immensely--the action set pieces were much better than those of the second game. Or at least I felt that way.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I missed the train on the Uncharted series so maybe this thread can explain to me why people seem to love this series so much. Is it the generic cover shooting? Is it the movie cliche vomit story? I watched some of chip's lp of the first one and ND still hasn't made Sully the main character with Drake being the sidekick (preferably with his mouth sewn shut) so it can't be the characters. I can understand someone liking the series but why is it so lauded?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

You can understand why people would like this game that you personally think looks completely awful?

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 4, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fingers of Fury posted:

I missed the train on the Uncharted series so maybe this thread can explain to me why people seem to love this series so much. Is it the generic cover shooting? Is it the movie cliche vomit story? I watched some of chip's lp of the first one and ND still hasn't made Sully the main character with Drake being the sidekick (preferably with his mouth sewn shut) so it can't be the characters. I can understand someone liking the series but why is it so lauded?

Probably the setpieces, which look great but are also just fun to play through (usually). That and the general attention to detail and great graphics attached to a third person shooter without major problems and a likeable cast. It has plenty of detractors, btw.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 4, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fingers of Fury posted:

Some people like to shoot the bad mans and some people like to punch the bad mans, but this game lets you both shoot AND punch lots of bad mans.

Bahustard
Jul 5, 2008

Fingers of Fury posted:

I can't really vouch for how the game actually feels to play, as I've only ever seen these LPs and lack the appropriate consoles to play them myself. However, from sheer spectacle, few games manage to look quite as... I guess 'high-budget' is the best way I can really describe it. There is a level of detail, polish, and heart here that just doesn't seem to happen very often in nature, from the superlative mocap and casting to the little details that no right-thinking person would actually pay much mind (the freaking water engine Chip mentioned being a sterling example). One of Chip's strongest points is bringing out the little details in games, which serves the Uncharted games nearly as well as it does Metal Gear.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The two things that really made me wish I had a PS3 to play UC2 were the bit where you were riding a collapsing building under attack by a helicopter, and the Sherpa village packed with detail.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

The series is has great environment design, excellent animation and voice acting, a cinematic plot that isn't really genius but is still enough to give some character motivation and development, has amazing art direction and good use of color, and is generally just fun to play. Saying it's a "generic cover shooter" is technically accurate, but it's really missing the forest for the trees here.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fingers of Fury posted:

I think with the exception of 2 being cool the Uncharted series is Just Okay so I can't really answer your question but I'm pretty sure there's better ways of finding an answer than going "hey fucktard idiots why the hell do you all love this pile so much"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fingers of Fury posted:

It Is Fun

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

The only reason we would have to buy a PS4 is if you guys intended to do a LP of Uncharted 4 and we would have to play through it first so she could watch your LP afterwards!

HEY INSANE TOTORO BUY YOUR WIFE A PS4 AND HAVE A BOX THREAD ABOUT IT

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've never much cared for the gameplay of Uncharted, but I can't deny that I love the characters. That's why I'm so glad Chip LPs them!

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
I'd really love to see you guys play a card game based on this series.

That would just be the bee's knees.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I've never played an Uncharted game, but I love their attention to detail and their setting choices. Most games would have made the Tibetan section a single temple level. ND models and animates an entire village, then models a destroyed version of said village, creates a sprawling ice cave to serve as an extended exposition sequence, and finishes off with a beautifully created temple level for you to climb all over. Plus UC2 really is a beautiful game.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I absolutely adored Uncharted 2, and was shockingly let down the follow-up. There was just something off about the game, like all of the pieces never quite came together. For one thing, the shooting in 3 feels somehow slower and clunkier than in Uncharted 2, and it really messed up my flow while I was playing it.

Also, as good as an effort as it was, the cargo plane sequence doesn't hold a candle to the train battle from Uncharted 2 when it comes to sheer spectacle :allears:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fingers of Fury posted:

Not really fair to judge a series if all you've seen of it is part of the 1st game(which is the weakest of them).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I hope Naughty Dog flips around at the last second and reveals that Uncharted 4 was just the working title for Unkarted.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers of Fury posted:

It's Indiana Jones, the game, with a fun cast of characters and gorgeous setpieces.

Why you're basing your denouncement of the franchise off of an lp of the weakest game in the series (which isn't even as bad as you're describing) is beyond me.

Jul 22, 2013

Happy New Year!

ViggyNash posted:

Why you're basing your denouncement of the franchise off of an lp of the weakest game in the series (which isn't even as bad as you're describing) is beyond me.

Mass Effect 3 Syndrome?

I love Uncharted 3, It is my favorate in the series and I am not sure why, I just remember how blown away by it I was when I first played it, it is just so GOD drat beautiful... Maybe I just forgot the worst bits and that made everything a little bit better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Uncharted 3 is a pretty good game, it's just that Uncharted 2 was an amazing game. I guess 3 just felt like it didn't hang together as tightly. We'll see later in the LP.

Also I got stuck way more times in Uncharted 3. They made the combat tougher.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Uncharted 3 is a pretty good game, it's just that Uncharted 2 was an amazing game. I guess 3 just felt like it didn't hang together as tightly. We'll see later in the LP.

Also I got stuck way more times in Uncharted 3. They made the combat tougher.

If I recall, they had less of an idea for the story in UC3, just setpieces.

spoilin poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So did y'all forget the whole thing about "no spoilers" or something?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

I think with the exception of 2 being cool the Uncharted series is Just Okay so I can't really answer your question but I'm pretty sure there's better ways of finding an answer than going "hey fucktard idiots why the hell do you all love this pile so much"

I don't know it seems people like talking about the reasons they like stuff.

Anyway I think I understand the why of it a bit better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well, I guess this thread is as good a reason as any to finally buy Uncharted 3. I feel like I'm playing it wrong, though, rotating the camera around desperately trying to find the loot while missing all the pretty scenery.

I did learn something from the Uncharted 2 LP, though: You can just run toward the bad guys firing your gun and letting auto aim hurt them and then brawl them to death. It makes the fights a lot more fun than pistol sniping from cover. And with a shotgun you might not need to use your fists at all.

• Locked thread