Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Alright you COD try hard cry baby pussies, its time for a real mother loving game. Its god drat EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2025. The sequel to the GOTG (Game of The Generation) Earth Defense Force 2017. If you haven't already played EDF 2017, what in the gently caress is wrong with you? Are you literally a loving dipshit? Buy it.

Ok. So we all know EDF 2017 was the best loving game on the 360. Well get this poo poo, EDF 2025 is coming out on the 360 AND the PS3. So all you Sony fans who missed the previous GOTG can now enjoy an amazing sequel. How cool is that poo poo?! So what the gently caress is EDF even about :

Giant gently caress you Spiders!

Flying Valkyrie super soldiers who will make you lick their shiny metal boots

Goon Bee squad? More like goon pee squad. HERE'S SOME ACUTAL MOTHER loving BEES BITCH!

Anime as gently caress! Don't shame, I've seen you watch Naruto when you think no one is watching. Anime owns!

poo poo's awesome. Alright, so what does EDF 2025 bring that's new to the table:

Soldier Classes

FENCER

Holy gently caress look at this poo poo! God drat its awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWSh21JINM

Air Raider

God drat this game owns...fuuuuuuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVRZAKWhhk

Wing Diver and Ranger

SSHHHIIIIIITTTT FUUUUUUCK PIIIIIIISSSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GJiYk3Vi0

-----------------------------------------------------
Q & A Time

Reviews? gently caress you if you care.

Achievements? Eat poo poo and die.

Guns?

Neo Helbeast posted:

2025 has over 700 guns in it, two of which are an Orbital Laser and a 4 person coop Mech. Pack it in other games, it's GOTY 2014 already.

BF4? COD Ghosts? Halo? SUCK A DEEEEYYUUUUCK!

Split Screen Couch Co-op multiplayer?
YOU BET YOUR GOD drat rear end!

Online Multiplayer? Sure thing you scrotum-smelling, green toothed, bitch face, anti-social gently caress! Join up with 3 other online strangers!

When can I buy this second coming of video games? Now if ya want. But the game won't be release until Feb 18, 2014.

You ready to join soldier? Lets go destroy those alien scum! EDF EDF EDF EDF

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

[TRY HARD OP]

I WANT TO PLAY WITH GOONY GOON GOONS

Use the spreadsheet below for both 360 and PS3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai90Eh9UuJjudHQ0NE5JVFRkQ19yOGt5X1dFQWhsbFE&usp=sharing

Metatag: HOWCANYOUMISS

STORY
The Earth Defense Force, a unified multinational military sponsored by nearly every country, is founded after detecting an impending alien visit in case the aliens prove to be hostile. In the year 2017, that proved to be true and the EDF fought against the Ravagers, an alien race that attacked Earth with giant insect-like creatures, UFOs, robots, and gigantic, 120 foot tall lizard-like creatures. Eight years What the gently caress are you doing reading this? Buy this loving game it owns holy poo poo!

Character Classes
Ranger

Composed of foot infantry capable of using several vehicles and mechas.

Wing Diver

Airborne class composed exclusively of women who use high tech weaponry and jet packs.

Air Raider

A class specialized in the assistance of infantry and airborne soldiers, capable of:
  • Deploying health recovery field generators and force shields.
  • Summoning vehicles into the battlefield.
  • Ordering air raids over designated targets.

Fencer

A heavily armored class with a variety of weapons, such as:
  • A deflective shield that cuts all damage taken while readied, although it overheats and goes offline if used for too long.
  • A blast-hole spear that fires high-pressure plasma into anything you can stab it into, destroying it from the inside. It also has a side thruster that lets you thrust-dash around at high speed.
  • A handheld Gatling gun that your suit is just powerful enough to carry around. It takes time to spin up and doesn't boast tremendous accuracy, but its rapid-fire properties are reliable in a pinch.
  • A vibro-drive hammer that smashes anything in the vicinity.
  • An armor-piercing hand cannon that deals a powerful blow, but leaves you unguarded for about a second after firing due to recoil absorption.

How do I move faster?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Watch the thrusters on your back when you dash. They'll fire, flare up, and then fade before vanishing. Just before they disappear you want to hit your shield's reflect. You can then pretty much just mash dash again, I find the trickiest part is the timing to hit the reflect.

It is massively easier (and more useful) with the Ion Shield. The normal shield might be okay with it, and it's actually slower than just repeatedly dashing like normal with the tower shield.

ENEMIES

Biological Units
  • Black Ants: giant black ants that attack in vast numbers. Known attacks: bite, acid shoot.
  • Red Ants: giant red ants, with stronger attacks and resistances than the black ones. Known attack: bite.
  • Flying Ants: winged giant black ants. Known attacks: acid shoot.
  • Spiders: giant tarantula-like creatures. Known attack: spider web shoot.
  • Retiarius: giant spiders. Known attack: spider net.
  • Bees: giant flying bee-like creatures. Known attack: sting shot.
  • Giant Spiders: larger version of the spiders. Known attack: spider web shoot.
  • Dragons: giant Chinese dragon-like monster that can fly at high altitude and walk in four legs. Known attacks: mouth flames, bite.

Mechanical Units

• Gunships: flying mechanical units. Known attack: energy shots.
  • Red Gunships: flying mechanical units. Known attack: energy shots.
  • Hectors: large bipedal robots with an assorted variety of weaponry carried on their arms. They can be deployed by carrier airships. Known attacks: energy shots, plasma shots.
  • Giant Hectors: larger, stronger version of the regular Hectors. It is hinted that some may carry new defensive measures, such as force shields. Known attacks: energy shots, plasma shots.
  • Unidentified flying vehicles: flying winged mechanical units. Not much is known about them.
  • Shield Bearer: four legged unit capable of generate large force fields that can be penetrated only at slow speed (i.e. walking inside the protected area). Known attacks: none.
  • Walking Fortress: giant four-legged, heavily fortified vehicles that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: Plasma shots, laser shots.
  • Carriers: giant airships that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: none.
  • Red Carriers: giant airships that can deploy biological and mechanical units. Known attacks: none.
  • Mothership: gigantic airship that can deploy gunships and are armed with several laser cannons and a super cannon at the bottom. Known attacks: energy shots, laser shots, giant beam.
  • UNKNOWN: mysterious ground mechanical unit. Known attack: laser shots.

Q & A

Reviews? Still gently caress you if you care.

Achievements? Keep eating poo poo.

How many guns do I get to play with?

Neo Helbeast posted:

2025 has over 700 guns in it, two of which are an Orbital Laser and a 4 person coop Mech. Pack it in other games, it's GOTY 2014 already.

A lot.

Split Screen Couch Co-op multiplayer? Yup!

Online Multiplayer? Up to 4 players

When does it come out?
Feb 18, 2014

When can I buy this second coming of video games? Right here.

I own every console ever. What are the differences between the PS3 version and 360 version?
360 was the main SKU so it has less-ish slowdown
360 allows for online + couch co-op simultaneously while the PS3 does not
360 saves all couch co-op data to player one, not to two different accounts (so you can't get achievements on two accounts but if you care about this you should prolly look at your sad little life and realize how much of a waste you really are).

I WANT TO PLAY WITH GOONY GOON GOONS

Use the spreadsheet below for both 360 and PS3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai90Eh9UuJjudHQ0NE5JVFRkQ19yOGt5X1dFQWhsbFE&usp=sharing

Metatag: HOWCANYOUMISS

[/TRY HARD OP]

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 8, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

All that bullshit in the OP and loving huge table-breaking images, and you don't even show the launch trailer? loving low-effort scum. I bet you even liked Insect Armageddon.

Rub your eyes all over this poo poo:

Also, fun facts:

EDF: Insect Armageddon was bad. Mainly because it was only 15 missions long and ended the moment you saw the alien mothership.
EDF 2017 was rad, and huge. It was 53 missions long and you threw down with a city-destroying alien ship that blotted out the sky at the end.
EDF 2025 is loving enormous. It's 85 missions long, there's another 45 coming as DLC, and (read this gameplay spoiler if you want a huge alien-murder-boner) you fight the EDF2017 mothership less than half-way through. How's THAT for escalation?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dominic White posted:

All that bullshit in the OP and loving huge table-breaking images, and you don't even show the launch trailer? loving low-effort scum.

You literally linked the same vid I did. Also, its 2014, who doesn't have a 1080p monitor by now? Tables shouldn't hold this game back. It loving owns!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

2nd post updated with more info for those that need it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also includes hilariously fun ragdoll and the basic enemy type can grab and throw you 200 feet in the air, where you flap around limply before (usually) landing a safe distance from the battle (there's no falling damage)

Pack it up, Infamous and Evolve and The Order and your next gen crap. I'll be playing EDF with my buds and getting into insane, epic Rangnaroks with bizarre weapons and vehicles long after the glamour of your shaders and your lighting and particle effects have worn off.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Did you make this game up or are those truly giant spiders and bees in a real game

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Also is it only on console maybe thats why I've never heard of it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

EDF Insect Armageddon is on PC, the games used to be PS2 games before the next gen hit and then it was 360

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If this doesn't get a PC release I will literally poo poo my pants and then wear those pants as a hat.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
EDF 2017 had a really weird, profound effect on me. I bought it in the bargain bin for like 10 bux and popped it in not knowing what to expect other than the game LOOKED liked the type of game you would expect to see in a bargain bin. 10 minutes in I was like, "are those buildings covered in giant ants?!??!?" Fast forward a few hours later, I was fighting laser godzillas and it was a toss-up which one of us leveled the entire city more...

There's something magical about the game. There's just nothing like it out there. It boggles the mind that there aren't a bazillion knockoffs of EDF vying for the "city-destroying, bug-invasion" genre throne like every brown military FPS is trying to dethrone Call of Duty.

Everything in the game looms so large and over-the-top in my mind. And I have really fond, vivid memories of it that every other game on the 360 combined doesn't match.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, I did not know 2025 was coming out this month. Right on time for spring break too. Totally unplugging my brand new ps4 when I get home.

I wish the vita version of 2017 was on psn plus because you can never find anyone online.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrManiac posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not know 2025 was coming out this month. Right on time for spring break too.

I wish the vita version of 2017 was on psn plus because you can never find anyone online.

It went on sale for I think $15 not long ago, and seems like the kind of thing they might put on sale again once 2025 is out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Fffuuuccckkkk I sold my 360 and got a PS4 how else can I play this tour de force

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Global Defense Force also owned and is for PS2, it introduces the Pale Wing/Wing Diver who has a separate weapon tree which starts with a laser that randomly fires in a half-sphere in front of you 180 times a second

It also has the lowest framerate for a game's first mission I've ever seen, like, no mission gets as bad as it until the final boss, which I think would have chugged a 360.

pro edf 2017 things:
-Enemies can't swim, but you can, so if a mission has water you can swim out in it a little, wait for enemies to mass under you, and surf on top of them while shooting into the mass. if you pick off stragglers on land while surfing dudes you can get weapon drops usually and you can theoretically do Inferno the first time you hit the fire ant beach mission
-pro sniping tactic: Fly in the helicopter as high as you can and jump out, snipe all the way down, land next to your helicopter, get back in, repeat

pro gdf thing:
the collision detection is hilarious and the giant robot pillbugs will often punch you through the level, causing your z-axis to revert to maximum height and give you like a 3 minute fall. this can be exploited against the final boss which is a giant saucer that takes up the entire sky by playing as two soldiers, having one get on the jetbike, and another get on the helicopter. Then land the helicopter on top of the jetbike and it'll punch through reality and land on top of the boss, where high enough explosives will let you take it out with ease.

edf series best series

edit: do not import/japanese psn the EDF 2017 for psp, it is an abomination

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

EDF2017 was one of my favorite 360 games ever, and this looks pretty much the same but cranked up to insanity. Insect Armageddon was incredible in its own way because they somehow managed to kill the spirit of fun 2017 had despite being almost the same game.

I think this company also made Robot Alchemic Drive aka best giant robot game ever for the PS2. These dudes know how to make fun poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Eurogamer review of EDF 2017 is one of the finest pieces of game journalism every created.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, the Wii EDF spinoff - Zangeki No Reginliev - (commonly known as Norse Defense Force) has a translation patch now, if you've got a homebrew'd Wii.

It doesn't do everything, but it makes it clear enough so that you can jump in and start playing without difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4K6hVURpg

ZnR is basically Earth Defense Force with motion controls for really satisfying giant melee weapons and with huge enemies that you can/have to dismember. Apparently it also runs well on Dolphin now, so PC folks can try it too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, the Wii EDF spinoff - Zangeki No Reginliev - (commonly known as Norse Defense Force) has a translation patch now, if you've got a homebrew'd Wii.

It doesn't do everything, but it makes it clear enough so that you can jump in and start playing without difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4K6hVURpg

ZnR is basically Earth Defense Force with motion controls for really satisfying giant melee weapons and with huge enemies that you can/have to dismember. Apparently it also runs well on Dolphin now, so PC folks can try it too.

Thank you for this, I need more EDF in my life so this is something I absolutely have to try out if I can get it to work.

I've only played EDF a couple of times with two friends, but either one of us knows if anything that even sounds like EDF is said, it's time to descend into EDF quotes for a few minutes. EDF!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Did you make this game up or are those truly giant spiders and bees in a real game

Did you not play EDF 2017? You know, the GOTG EDF 2017? If you haven't, fix your life by purchasing it right away. If you don't, you'll die a worthless, pathetic husk. EDF 2017 owns.

Its console only as well due to the developers being Japanese. If it does come out for PC (we can only pray to the anime gods), I will buy that poo poo ASAP.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 31, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did you not play EDF 2017? You know, the GOTG EDF 2017? If you, fix your life by purchasing it right away. If you don't, you'll die a worthless, pathetic husk. EDF 2017 owns.

Its console only as well due to the developers being Japanese. If it does come out for PC (we can only pray to the anime gods), I will buy that poo poo ASAP.

I don't own xbox! or playstation!

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
gently caress yeah a new good EDF!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

EDF 2017 is 360 only so you prolly should correct that! You can get a now 360 for something like $50 or a handjob. It's cheap. Buy it!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Added to the OP.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kewpuh posted:

The 360 is worth it just for this game and 2017.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
"Uh,... gently caress YOU BEES!!!!"

and umm. "BIG BITCHES YEAH LOL!"

Pff, nice try dork but it's DOOM Week.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Look, I enjoy Doom more than any other FPS to date, so I get it, but EDF is basically japan's doom and it owns.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Look, I enjoy Doom more than any other FPS to date, so I get it, but EDF is basically japan's doom and it owns.

I've never played a Doom, so I wouldn't know, but can you accidentally kill you and your friend at the same time by firing a massive rocket that moves slightly faster than a dead sloth but explodes with force great enough to level several city blocks at a mass of ants but one that you didn't see accidentally walked in front of it and you both said "Oh poo poo no!" but it was too late to stop it in Doom? Because that's the best EDF experience, and it's the only one experience worth having.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've never played a Doom

Ok you should fix that. Its cheap as gently caress and can run on a calculator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN2JIRGHAo

Think of it like an early EDF. Then play some more EDF.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Uh OP I think those are hornets.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Holy poo poo a sequel? I put a ridiculous amount of hours into the 360 and Vita versions of EDF2017, and now that this has online co-op there's no more reason to ever play an online multiplayer game again that isn't EDF2025

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What a lot of people don't realise is that 2017 was a huge step down from EDF2 and that it only came to the 360 because Sony America are a bunch of little girls who can't handle a game with a single digit fps.

EDF2 is a loving tour de force. Over seventy levels the game does not stop stuffing new stuff in your face. The game was so good they had to delay it's already crippled PAL only release until a month after 2017 came out.

2025 is EDF2 squared. I cannot loving wait.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2014

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Hog Butcher posted:

edit: do not import/japanese psn the EDF 2017 for psp, it is an abomination

I only saw it being played briefly for a short while, and it seemed fine enough for a downport of a game that already brought the ps2 to its knees. I would have loved to try getting a four-player game of it going if this game hadn't already been announced.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

EDF2017 was one of my favorite 360 games ever, and this looks pretty much the same but cranked up to insanity. Insect Armageddon was incredible in its own way because they somehow managed to kill the spirit of fun 2017 had despite being almost the same game.

I think this company also made Robot Alchemic Drive aka best giant robot game ever for the PS2. These dudes know how to make fun poo poo.

I always loved the idea of RAD (it's basically Tetsujin 28 the videogame right?) and have wanted to play it badly, but none of the 3 copies I bought over the years ever worked on my ps2 and it's one of the few games that emulates like poo poo on the pc.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
As long as it lets me do this again, I'm happy:

Well, that and "accidentally" blow up my friends.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

DrManiac posted:

I always loved the idea of RAD (it's basically Tetsujin 28 the videogame right?) and have wanted to play it badly, but none of the 3 copies I bought over the years ever worked on my ps2 and it's one of the few games that emulates like poo poo on the pc.

That sucks, because RAD is awesome. At one point you're fighting a godzilla ripoff that can do a big charging headbutt. I timed it just right and caught it square in the dome with a robo-uppercut that sent it flying through a few buildings, and then I went super saiyan mode and shot a drill-fist at it.

It also had the most incredible voice acting ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kNwwQH5rk

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh man, EDF 2017 was the poo poo. My dad and I co-oped all the way until we were halfway done with Inferno. Now with online co-op we can do this all over again and not have to share the same screen.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Well, that and "accidentally" blow up my friends.

Nothing like running into the slowest nuke in the world.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm going to play it while listening to this non-stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mmTDT6W7E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.
Just preordered this from Amazon, I've heard sometimes they actually ship stuff a day early? Here's hoping because it has been far too long since I've shot up a city full of giant ants.