Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So the 360 version has local splitscreen, right? My GF and I need to blast some bugs while never moving from the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
IGN did a series of videos on this last week. The first two are missing the in game sound for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQTYAb0vjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBREc2RrBYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICGuSFQEGk

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Jonny Retro posted:

IGN did a series of videos on this last week. The first two are missing the in game sound for some reason.

Background guy sounded way more knowledgeable about the game than the product manager, who was clearly looking at notes, did.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Background guy sounded way more knowledgeable about the game than the product manager, who was clearly looking at notes, did.

Yeah that kind of drove me nuts. I swear there's a point where they stop and google something about the game.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bleusilences posted:

I am holding on to which version I should buy, which ever have the highest frame rate wins.

You clearly don't understand EDF. The worst part of EDFIA was that there was never frame rate loss. That by itself showed that the devs didn't "get" EDF.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Inzombiac posted:

So the 360 version has local splitscreen, right? My GF and I need to blast some bugs while never moving from the couch.

It does. I imagine both versions do but they only had the 360 version at pax

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

CzarStark posted:

You clearly don't understand EDF. The worst part of EDFIA was that there was never frame rate loss. That by itself showed that the devs didn't "get" EDF.

Well, if it's the same enemy counts and physics, then better fps is fine. But really, getting stable performance should just mean that you didn't put enough giant robots and exploding spiders on screen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Medicinal Penguin posted:

Well, if it's the same enemy counts and physics, then better fps is fine. But really, getting stable performance should just mean that you didn't put enough giant robots and exploding spiders on screen.

There's something really charming about watching the game at 5 FPS as a spider wafts off into the distance and a building gently falls to earth.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I've heard the ps3 version's framerate is horrible from people with the JP version. They supposedly released a performance patch that did little to help. Really disappointing as my 360 has been in a closet since I bought my ps3.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I've already preordered the 360 version, cannot wait. Some of my questions..

1. When you pick up a weapon, does everyone get it? That's something IA did right at least, don't need griefers stealing everyone's guns.

2. Will the vehicles be worth it? of the vehicles in 2017 only the Vegalta was remotely usable, but still died quickly once it got surrounded. From videos I've seen it looks like the vehicles will have good controls, one fellow did pretty good with one of the Air Raiders small attack choppers.

3. Any pictures of this 4 person mech?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Rabidredneck posted:

1. When you pick up a weapon, does everyone get it? That's something IA did right at least, don't need griefers stealing everyone's guns.

2. Will the vehicles be worth it? of the vehicles in 2017 only the Vegalta was remotely usable, but still died quickly once it got surrounded. From videos I've seen it looks like the vehicles will have good controls, one fellow did pretty good with one of the Air Raiders small attack choppers.

From watching gameplay footage the battle suit the air raider can call in is quite punchy, and I've seen other vehicles take one hell of a beating too.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That's true I guess. But that second line was my point - EDFIA was fully stable in the framerate department, meaning there weren't nearly enough enemies on-screen.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Awesome! posted:

I've heard the ps3 version's framerate is horrible from people with the JP version. They supposedly released a performance patch that did little to help. Really disappointing as my 360 has been in a closet since I bought my ps3.

I played the PS3 version, and while the framerate wasn't exactly good, it wasn't unplayably bad, especially for THIS series. Nothing like EDF2 first stage happens. I have no doubts the 360 version probably had better framerate, but if you're a fan of this series and only have a PS3, you should still get it. If you have a 360 though, apparently that one is the actual better version.

Rabidredneck posted:

1. I think everyone gets a weapon drop, at least. Not sure if both people get the same WEAPON though.

2. Well, the Air Raider is basically all about summoning various kinds of things, from airstrikes to orbital lasers and giant four-player controlled mechs. The vehicles heavily vary in utility, but then again, so do most other weapons. Some of the later-game mechs are hilarious engines of destruction, especially if you can get all four players to cooperate. Plus, an Engineer with some kind of car or tank is a Fencer's best friend, because the Fencer can stand on top of it and remove his typical penalty of being the slowest thing alive.

3. Here's a link with a bunch of vehicles. I don't know if the Velgata is actually the 4 person mech though, I never was the one actually playing Air Raider so I don't know the vehicle names. EDIT: No, the 4-player mech is called the Proteus. It looks like this:

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 5, 2014

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Jonny Retro posted:

Certainly nice of the game developers to hire a cartoon squirrel to explain their game.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Infinity Gaia posted:

EDIT: No, the 4-player mech is called the Proteus. It looks like this:

That thing is awesome and I will play an Air Raider as long as it takes to get it. Stomping around the battlefield with three other players firing at everything would cause untold amounts of hilarity to ensue!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Have some more footage and comparisons to earlier EDF titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEgK2-oc0g

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

Sweet, they brought back the ability to paint your troopers. You can also have separate colors for your helmet and your body now which is nice.

Netflix

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

All I saw there is that the PC Master Race needs to demand their access to the Game of the Generation.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
How goofy are your teammates? Are they anywhere near 2017 levels of being chatty dorks?

Edit: Also, any word on the pricing?

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 6, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Drakenel posted:

How goofy are your teammates? Are they anywhere near 2017 levels of being chatty dorks?

Fiddy bucks.

I'm assuming it's the same as the pax demo where they were constantly yelling EDF!! TAKE THIS YOU BUGS!! I NEED TO RELOAD! Then they died to ants.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

randombattle posted:

I'm assuming it's the same as the pax demo where they were constantly yelling EDF!! TAKE THIS YOU BUGS!! I NEED TO RELOAD! Then they died to ants.

In the Japanese version, squads would periodically sing something to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (perhaps the actual lyrics, I was never sure since I don't speak the language), but it never ceased to entertain me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is "Fencer" a big armored tank of a guy with a shield in Japanese games? I think they use the same word in Valyria Chronicles or something too.

Do they have a different kind of fencing than we do? Because if so I want to watch it forever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Neo Helbeast posted:

2025 has over 700 guns in it, two of which are an Orbital Laser and a 4 person coop Mech. Pack it in other games, it's GOTY 2014 already.

SEVEN HUNDRED GUNS?!

Ahem.

I don't know it sounds more like Game Of The loving Whole Of Time And Space to me.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Drakenel posted:

List price is $50, amazon is $44 right now. New copy of 2017 is $80 on amazon, :lol:.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mister Adequate posted:

SEVEN HUNDRED GUNS?!

Ahem.

I don't know it sounds more like Game Of The loving Whole Of Time And Space to me.

Keep in mind a pretty significant portion of them are just upgrades (i.e. the Slow Hard Hitting Shotgun v1, v2, v3 vs. the Fast Weaker Shotgun v1, v2, v3 is like 6 guns right there)

But still. 700. There is going to be some gems in there.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
The cheapest price I've found for 2017 is actually the downloadable copy from the Xbox 360 store itself.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Keep in mind a pretty significant portion of them are just upgrades (i.e. the Slow Hard Hitting Shotgun v1, v2, v3 vs. the Fast Weaker Shotgun v1, v2, v3 is like 6 guns right there)

They claim to have toned that down with this version, but yeah - there's just no avoiding it.

I want to convince my friend that we should avoid sequence breaking the game as much as possible. That was a big part of our experience with 2017, but I argue that we'll get the most enjoyment out of it if we aren't skipping past swaths of guns and going into levels where half the new guns we find will be useless.

Also, we'll end up having to do less armor grinding towards the end of the game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hopefully the higher gun count will mean less getting 20 weapons in a level and they all end up being the same 3 guns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh yeah, but even so 2017 had around, what, 180 weapons if I'm remembering? And I know many of these will be equivalents for different classes, but just the act of collecting all these weapons is going to keep me happy.

I do sort of wish that if you got a duplicate of a weapon that it would give a minor upgrade to it or something. Normally I'd care about balance in a situation like that but this is EDF.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If I could change two things about EDF 2025, it would be: armor applies for all characters, and duplicate weapon pickups instead become armor. That would make it p. much perfect imo.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

DrManiac posted:

Hopefully the higher gun count will mean less getting 20 weapons in a level and they all end up being the same 3 guns.

Remember that you still have to divide those 700 weapons across four character classes, assume that 1/5th of them will be useless gimmicks or jokes, and that you still need to divide them across however many missions x 4(?) difficulty levels. Normal and Easy both share the same weapon sets across all the Sandlot games, right?

dis astranagant posted:

All I saw there is that the PC Master Race needs to demand their access to the Game of the Generation.
The question is - would we be happy with a Dark Souls-esque straight port of the 360 version? Which would be even harder for them to do now that GFWL is being shuttered.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Guys.... seriously... is this game really worth $50? For real? I can't bel-- hey.. my hand is instinctively reaching for my wallet... OK goons what gives...

Kind of wish it was the 18th already.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
Pretty hyped for this. Recently bought EDF 2017 for the Vita so I can shoot Godzilla's dick on the go but I'm wondering, how many goons are getting this for PS3?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I'm gonna be on ps3 because I'm sure as poo poo not pulling out my 360 and buying a year of live just for a better framerate in one game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mechathief posted:

Guys.... seriously... is this game really worth $50? For real? I can't bel-- hey.. my hand is instinctively reaching for my wallet... OK goons what gives...

Kind of wish it was the 18th already.

If anybody is seriously wondering if this is worth it I highly recommend them track down 2017 for the 360. Despite the janky graphics EDF is legit one of the most purely fun games and is absolutely worth retail price.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
A new EDF thread?! I've been dying for some proper new levels and bugs to annihilate since IA stomped on my hopes and dreams.

EDF! EDF! I need some steak tonight.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

List price is $50, amazon is $44 right now. New copy of 2017 is $80 on amazon, :lol:.

EDF 2017 owns thats why!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

general chaos posted:

Remember that you still have to divide those 700 weapons across four character classes, assume that 1/5th of them will be useless gimmicks or jokes, and that you still need to divide them across however many missions x 4(?) difficulty levels. Normal and Easy both share the same weapon sets across all the Sandlot games, right?

The question is - would we be happy with a Dark Souls-esque straight port of the 360 version? Which would be even harder for them to do now that GFWL is being shuttered.

I would be happy with a Devil May Cry 3 level straight port if it got me a real EDF game on PC.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The only good thing about IA was that Gamestop gave me a discount on their single gutted copy because the manual was missing (there was no manual, you had to download it :laugh: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Insect Armageddon was the biggest gaming disappointment in sequel releases I think I've ever experienced.

It would take a lot, and I mean a LOT, to make up for how bad IA was. I'm going to pass on 2025 because IA ruined the series for me and asking $50 for an EDF game is hilarious, but I hope we're not burned again.