Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
The important part is being able to punch the other player for friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

FuSchnick posted:

The important part is being able to punch the other player for friendly fire.

I think you mean, "fire that prominence MA/Stampede XM right at me, I'll stall them with my body".

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
As long as there is an ICBM-sized Air Tortoise missile that I can outrun on foot... :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUdzin-yXWQ

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 12, 2014

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Alright, the awesomeness of EDF2015 kept me up till 4 am last night and I promptly overslept for work today and didn't come in until noon. Oops! In any case, there is no dickpunching necessary. Not for any of you guys and not for myself either because I love the gently caress out of this game. The only tiny thing that makes my inner OCD nerd cringe is that they won't give you all the pickups once the mission is done. STOP FADING TO BLACK! THERE'S MORE poo poo TO PICK UP I CAN'T WALK THERE FAST ENOUGH ARGHHH.

I already loved it pretty much after 5 minutes of play time but I think what pushed me over the edge into "Hnnnggg this game is amazing" was me firing off an early Air Tortoise that I found somewhere, running next to it all excitedly while it flew (or crawled) at a bunch of giant ants. I really wanted it to be an epic, blow-up-all-the-ants moment. Unfortunately the missile caught a lightpole right next to me and immediately killed me. drat you, really slow auto-aiming missile! But really, I love you :shobon:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You have seen the light. Welcome, brother. Play on, and be ready to cheer "EDF! EDF! EDF!" with the rest of us, come the 18th.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

abraxas posted:

The only tiny thing that makes my inner OCD nerd cringe is that they won't give you all the pickups once the mission is done. STOP FADING TO BLACK! THERE'S MORE poo poo TO PICK UP I CAN'T WALK THERE FAST ENOUGH ARGHHH.
You'll soon get used to leaving one solitary ant/gunship/robot behind at the end, while you traverse the entire map looking for pickups.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Are pickups randomly placed around the world or are they more like random drops from dead enemies?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Are pickups randomly placed around the world or are they more like random drops from dead enemies?

The latter.

But considering the level of destruction you can cause, they can end up all over the place or on top of buildings and stuff.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aphrodite posted:

The latter.

But considering the level of destruction you can cause, they can end up all over the place or on top of buildings and stuff.

The ones in 2025 have physics! Which makes them less likely to get caught on random bullshit, which is nice.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
gently caress this game needs to come to PC/Steam, I ain't buying a console even for something this loving awesome.

(I played and EDF on the xbox once, not sure which one but it was loving awesome)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Infinity Gaia posted:

The ones in 2025 have physics! Which makes them less likely to get caught on random bullshit, which is nice.

Aside from the cliffs in that one canyon map, I've never had a problem with things getting caught on random bullshit because you just blow that bullshit the hell up. If things are still standing at the end of a mission you've got to ask yourself what you really achieved.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mister Adequate posted:

Aside from the cliffs in that one canyon map, I've never had a problem with things getting caught on random bullshit because you just blow that bullshit the hell up. If things are still standing at the end of a mission you've got to ask yourself what you really achieved.

I order to save the city we had to level it. :clint:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mister Adequate posted:

I see you forget underground caves levels. If you've never had a weapon drop get inexplicably stuck on the ceiling of one of those, you did something wrong.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Anyone have an idea what console the majority is going to be playing this on? I'd enjoy a good 4 player air tortoise romp.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Is it four player or two players for local split screen? This will pretty much determine if my purchase is now or in a couple months.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I'm buying 3 copies on the 360.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Chickenfrogman posted:

Is it four player or two players for local split screen? This will pretty much determine if my purchase is now or in a couple months.
Two player split screen local co-op, four player online co-op.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

WhiteHowler posted:

Two player split screen local co-op, four player online co-op.

Can the two split screen players go online and play with two other people?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Douche4Sale posted:

Yup, I'm fairly certain they said this is possible.

Nubian Sasquatch
May 3, 2007

back dat ass up
Nap Ghost
Please god bring back turrets and Impulse claymores as weapons and not class abilities. I dealt with it as best as I could through EDF:IA, but a man can only take so much.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So I'm about to preorder a copy and I just wanted to confirm that the PS3 has couch co-op in it or is that just the 360 version?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Neo Helbeast posted:

I'm buying 3 copies on the 360.
And I owe you a great deal of thanks for letting me have one of them. :shobon:

As a filthy poor plebeian who's never been able to sample the series, what's the learning curve like?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

And I owe you a great deal of thanks for letting me have one of them. :shobon:

As a filthy poor plebeian who's never been able to sample the series, what's the learning curve like?

There's bugs, you shoot them. Sometimes you dodgeroll or jump over kneehigh obstacles.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
If it's anything like 2017, the learning curve is all in driving the helicopter and that stupid hoverbike.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Play easy mode if you must on your first run through - enemies have the same drops as normal mode and you can make more mistakes. Difficulty is like Diablo - you usually run through the entirety of normal before tackling hard and so on. Better weapons and tougher enemies on each difficulty setting. Sequence breaking to higher difficulties for high-powered weapons may seem like a good idea for a speedy run, but you'll end up having to grind for armor eventually and you'll end up skipping over a lot of great weapons.

Never play solo. Coop or bust.

If you find a lovely weapon and hate it, and then find an upgraded version of that weapon - give it a shot. Sometimes the engineers mess up the prototype before they strike gold.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Father Wendigo posted:

Air Raider is a ridiculously fun class in co-op, but frustrating in single player. The biggest thing to learn, and this took me longer than I'll readily admit, it that his bombardment and vehicle drops don't work underground.

Everything else is "See alien: shoot alien." This is not a complicated game.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Total Biscuit playing 2025 from back in September:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMGb5_8Rg1g

When you revive someone in multiplayer it splits your health down the middle and gives the fallen player half, so you at least won't be able to spam it to keep each other alive while being munched on by a swarm of ants.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Revolver Bunker posted:

So I'm about to preorder a copy and I just wanted to confirm that the PS3 has couch co-op in it or is that just the 360 version?

It does have couch co-op.

I don't think anyone is sure it can do couch co-op with two online players or something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Now that the thread's not got such an embarrassing title, I got my copy on Pre-Order from amazon and will be seein' ya'll late Tuesday Night for some BUG STOMPIN'!

What are the pre-order bonuses, anyway? Did I not get the most min-max gun? I just watched Pacific Rim and now I'm all jazzed to defend the Earth from stuff. :ohdear:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think anyone is sure it can do couch co-op with two online players or something.

I'm sure you can do two player couch co-op online on the Xbox 360. Like Borderlands 2. There's a Japanese video of it somewhere on Youtube.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Now that the thread's not got such an embarrassing title, I got my copy on Pre-Order from amazon and will be seein' ya'll late Tuesday Night for some BUG STOMPIN'!

Eh, I don't know man. Not sure we want to play with someone with number-letter substitution in their username. We have standards, you know?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The fifteen character limit on gamertags is busting my balls here. (Most good names are sixteen) But I finally got the metatag up.

360 owners send friend requests to HOWCANYOUMISS and I'll check it nightly to accept it and you all can use the dummy silver account to find each other on the promised day.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Having never played an EDF game, I just bought 2017 Portable on PSN because it was on sale. Is there anything I should know starting here?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Having never played an EDF game, I just bought 2017 Portable on PSN because it was on sale. Is there anything I should know starting here?

singleplayer is kind of boring

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Knightmare posted:

singleplayer is kind of boring

That is mostly what I've noticed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked the single player...

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Douche4Sale posted:

On 360 yes. On PS3 no (unless they have patched it in since launch?)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Drakenel posted:

The fifteen character limit on gamertags is busting my balls here. (Most good names are sixteen) But I finally got the metatag up.

360 owners send friend requests to HOWCANYOUMISS and I'll check it nightly to accept it and you all can use the dummy silver account to find each other on the promised day.

I've been out of the 360 live meta tag poo poo for a while. If someone knows of what the best way to gather goons for bug squashing, lemme know and I'll add it to the OP.

Same goes for the PS3 owners out there. Whatever is agreed upon will go in the OP.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I've been out of the 360 live meta tag poo poo for a while. If someone knows of what the best way to gather goons for bug squashing, lemme know and I'll add it to the OP.
The best way to get a goon metatag up and going, is to not start one until the game is out, otherwise 70% of the people who sign up will never get/play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I forgot that you need Xbox Live Gold to play online with people. Probably going for the PS3 version and hoping it isn't crazy inferior/slideshowy.