Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

coyo7e posted:

The best way to get a goon metatag up and going, is to not start one until the game is out, otherwise 70% of the people who sign up will never get/play the game.

Then don't sign up?

I dunno. I just wanted to help. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

FuSchnick posted:

On 360 yes. On PS3 no (unless they have patched it in since launch?)

Awesome! Had it preordered for the 360 for 6 months now, and needed to know whether I need to pick up a gold card for my wife or not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played and loved IA but haven't played 2015. IA is fun as hell and I currently think all of you are crazy. I'll probably continue to think that until next week when I pick up 2025.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played and loved IA but haven't played 2015. IA is fun as hell and I currently think all of you are crazy. I'll probably continue to think that until next week when I pick up 2025.
Once you play a REAL EDF, you will see how bad IA was.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Detective No. 27 posted:

IA is like Sonic Advance 3... sure, it's fine if you don't know the rest of the series and all the core elements are there, but once you play one of the real ones you'll see what garbage it is comparatively.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did they copy IA's one good addition to the series: the Air Burner?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The OP doesn't cover PS3 versus 360 features. Will the PS3 version of Earth Defense Force 2025 have everything the 360 version does? I would rather have it on that platform if it's comparable in features.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

IA was the only game I got to actually co-op with friends and the other EDF game I have access to (2017) only has the Infantry. IA has some problems, sure, but it also has bugs, the shooting of bugs, and the Heavy and his ridiculous shotgun mortars.

It looks like 2025 will have all those things and a longer campaign with more bugs to shoot, so I am pretty goddamn pleased to be getting it when it arrives.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Many of you probably know my opinion on this already but EDF4 owns. It owns. I needed to say that twice. It's everything I ever hoped for and more. I had like 100 hours in it, and then started up a new game with a new PSN profile and I'm at about 30 hours now. I only have one question though: with the foreign versions interact with the Japanese version for multiplayer? You can never be sure about those things.

edit: The OP needs to be changed to reflect that there is not "an" orbital laser, there are at least six different orbital laser systems that do somewhat different things. And cruise missiles, and bombing raids, and air to surface autocannon attacks...

edit: IA is an absolute piece of poo poo compared to EDF4. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 14, 2014

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone know if the US version is region free? I imported the Japanese PS3 version a while ago but would really appreciate a version in english so I can get my melodramatic on and understand it.

e: should clarify, I'm in Australia so I'm wondering if the NTSC version is PAL compatible.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: The OP needs to be changed to reflect that there is not "an" orbital laser, there are at least six different orbital laser systems that do somewhat different things. And cruise missiles, and bombing raids, and air to surface autocannon attacks...

Also important to mention is that, at least in the Japanese version, the firing of each variety of orbital laser was accompanied by a hotblooded, anime as gently caress shout by your operator calling out that particular orbital laser's name.

EDF 2025 is SERIOUSLY GOOD YOU GUYS. I played up to the end of Hard in the JP version, and I want to do it all over again in the US one, when I'll finally be able to understand the specifics of how out of ammo my companions are, and also the english version of the EDF anthem.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Many of you probably know my opinion on this already but EDF4 owns. It owns. I needed to say that twice. It's everything I ever hoped for and more. I had like 100 hours in it, and then started up a new game with a new PSN profile and I'm at about 30 hours now. I only have one question though: with the foreign versions interact with the Japanese version for multiplayer? You can never be sure about those things.

edit: IA is an absolute piece of poo poo compared to EDF4. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

I honestly thought that there was only one orbital laser, I think it's called God's Wrath/Anger, I dunno I'm bad at japanese.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

I honestly thought that there was only one orbital laser, I think it's called God's Wrath/Anger, I dunno I'm bad at japanese.

That's Satellite Blaster A through E, and then Ragna Blaster, then Sprite Fall A through C, then Rule of God.

edit: the operator gets so loving excited about satellite weapons, I hope that makes it across into the English.

edit: the Japanese wiki that is from

http://www50.atwiki.jp/edf_4/

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 14, 2014

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I feel like at this point the only thing that could possibly go wrong would be the English voice acting. Everything else has been confirmed as perfect and it would be so hard to live up to the original.

How well does the Air Raider play throughout the game? I'm attracted to the late-game vehicle shenanigans and will probably be playing as one almost exclusively. Do they suffer at all adapting to underground levels? You'd think the flying class would have the hardest time in cave levels but the tunnels provide a great choke point for rapier-type weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

general chaos posted:

I feel like at this point the only thing that could possibly go wrong would be the English voice acting. Everything else has been confirmed as perfect and it would be so hard to live up to the original.

How well does the Air Raider play throughout the game? I'm attracted to the late-game vehicle shenanigans and will probably be playing as one almost exclusively. Do they suffer at all adapting to underground levels? You'd think the flying class would have the hardest time in cave levels but the tunnels provide a great choke point for rapier-type weapons.
Obviously the air raider loses all support and vehicle functions underground, but they do have lots of mines and traps and auto-turrets and sticky bombs and stuff. I only ever use wing diver underground though, because their lightning weapons travel along the edge of the cavern if they hit it. Firing a lightning bow or whatever down a tunnel repeatedly will kill everything in it no matter how much it twists and turns. It almost feels like cheating but gently caress it, the enemies outnumber me a thousand to one.

edit: I loving love this stage. Ants, ants, ants, red ants, ants, drones, ants, red ants, BIG loving ANTS, ants, high speed red drones of death. Also watch what happens starting at 1:34 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le47rENndy0

Also, look at what you can do with the fencer if you use a weapon exploit that greatly reduces the cooldown between dashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCHH6ODvXY

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 14, 2014

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, look at what you can do with the fencer if you use a weapon exploit that greatly reduces the cooldown between dashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCHH6ODvXY

I remember reading that the idea with the fencer was to create a character with a very high skill ceiling, and the DMC-style animation canceling was 100% intended.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Holy shiiiiiiit I just now realized that they also break apart and gib from explosive weapons, not just ragdolls. This is going to be the greatest thing

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I've been out of the 360 live meta tag poo poo for a while. If someone knows of what the best way to gather goons for bug squashing, lemme know and I'll add it to the OP.

Same goes for the PS3 owners out there. Whatever is agreed upon will go in the OP.

I think we don't need a metatag on PS3. You can have 1000 friends on PS3 thanks to PS4 (it'll only show the most recent 100)

Depending on how many people get this on PS3, we may just all add each other.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Obviously the air raider loses all support and vehicle functions underground, but they do have lots of mines and traps and auto-turrets and sticky bombs and stuff. I only ever use wing diver underground though, because their lightning weapons travel along the edge of the cavern if they hit it. Firing a lightning bow or whatever down a tunnel repeatedly will kill everything in it no matter how much it twists and turns. It almost feels like cheating but gently caress it, the enemies outnumber me a thousand to one.

Are auto-turrets still broken inside of tunnels? Tracking nearby enemies with no line of sight?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

The OP doesn't cover PS3 versus 360 features. Will the PS3 version of Earth Defense Force 2025 have everything the 360 version does? I would rather have it on that platform if it's comparable in features.
This is all information I've gotten from reading reviews and watching videos of others. Someone who already owns the PS3 version (like Saunders?) might be able to clarify if any of this has changed over time due to patches.

The PS3 version has a worse framerate, especially in split screen.
The PS3 version cannot combine split screen with online play, the 360 version can.
The PS3 version does not "sign in" the second account for split screen play, so the second player does not save progression for weapon unlocks etc. The 360 version tracks both players progression.

I'm not trying to dump on PS3 here, so if anyone has more accurate information feel free to correct me.

What I would like to know: Does this game have any equivalents to the Genocide guns? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere yet. The Japanese wiki is impenetrable to non-speakers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FuSchnick posted:

The PS3 version cannot combine split screen with online play, the 360 version can.

To clarify, doing this with the 360 version would require both accounts to have Gold, correct?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

univbee posted:

To clarify, doing this with the 360 version would require both accounts to have Gold, correct?

Not necessarily, in some games only one of the players in a mixed online game must have gold. Some, but not all, so there's no way to tell with EDF, but it's a possibility.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

univbee posted:

I don't actually know. It depends on how the developers implemented it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If the PS3 framerate issues are the same as 2017s I'm going to get the PS3 version, if they are really bad and hamper gameplay I may have to find a used 360 cheap...

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

MassRafTer posted:

If the PS3 framerate issues are the same as 2017s I'm going to get the PS3 version, if they are really bad and hamper gameplay I may have to find a used 360 cheap...

If you see the PS3 having framerate issues, compare with the 360.

There is no EDF game that doesn't have massive framedropping, with Global Defense Force being the extreme example with like 8FPS during the first level.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

haveblue posted:

Not necessarily, in some games only one of the players in a mixed online game must have gold. Some, but not all, so there's no way to tell with EDF, but it's a possibility.
In Insect Armageddon, you could bring in a guest via split screen with online players. Only the primary player needed Xbox Live Gold.

This may be different in 2025, but if they're using the same engine, I don't see why it would be different.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

In Insect Armageddon, you could bring in a guest via split screen with online players. Only the primary player needed Xbox Live Gold.

This may be different in 2025, but if they're using the same engine, I don't see why it would be different.
They aren't. IA was different developers and (I'm pretty sure) a different engine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Infinity Gaia posted:

I see you forget underground caves levels. If you've never had a weapon drop get inexplicably stuck on the ceiling of one of those, you did something wrong.

Oh yes. Those.

:staredog:

This must be what 'Nam vets feel like.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
FuShnick, what about that change to gold accounts tied to a console? Has that not gone live yet, or was it only for XBones?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Underground cave levels owned in GDF.

Most of them were a huge vertical shaft and the soldier class got obscenely powerful dynamite, so you could spout like 20 over the edge in each direction, push button, and have like 2 ants alive and a party of free loot at the bottom

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Hog Butcher posted:

If you see the PS3 having framerate issues, compare with the 360.

There is no EDF game that doesn't have massive framedropping, with Global Defense Force being the extreme example with like 8FPS during the first level.
EDF always has frame drops, and this is a game where the gameplay is locked to framerate, so the slowdowns actually *help* with dealing with overwhelming odds. But too much of it can still be irritating.

I don't know how 2025 handles it. I have not played the game yet on either system, so I'm only going off of what I've heard people say in multiple videos and commentaries. Just about everyone has mentioned that the PS3 frame rates are worse, but nobody has said that it is gamebreaking.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

coyo7e posted:

FuShnick, what about that change to gold accounts tied to a console? Has that not gone live yet, or was it only for XBones?
That's an XBone thing. 360 still behaves the way it used to.

It is really going to depend on whether or not the game devs use the "Allow guest accounts" code path for setting up multiplayer. Someone with the Japanese 360 version might be able to answer this, but since it was region-locked I don't know any english-speakers who have talked about it in that level of detail yet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh dang. I wish I could justify throwing my tax refund at a new console but I think some energy efficient windows will be a more prudent investment this year. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh awesome, EDF2017 Portable is on sale for $10 on Vita. Guess I'll play a bit of for the time being.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope this plays nice with Dual View. Split-screen EDF but with full screen real estate is the best of both worlds.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I got my friendly local game store clerk to break release date for me. Let me assure everyone that the voice acting is EXACTLY as good as you'd hope and expect.

Also, the EDF anthem is still in, and better than ever before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the dynamic death flag saying system left in? In the Japanese, other EDF soldiers will say randomized things like "When this is over I'm going to get married!" and then another will respond with randomized things like "I'm not so sure about that..."

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone mentioned the dynamic death flag saying system yet? Other EDF soldiers will say randomized things like "when this is over I'm going to get married!" and then another will respond with randomized things like "I'm not so sure about that..."

There's a quote where a soldier says "Saying things like 'When this is all over, I'm going to get married' is a sure-fire way to get yourself killed!" He then got killed accidentally by me firing a grenade launcher near him.

So what I'm saying here is, GOTY.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yes, please right loving now see if the online system hooks you up with Japanese players. If not I might need to buy a second copy just so I can play with y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't access online at all today for some reason, my PS3 is bugging out and not letting me connect to PSN. Once I can test, I'll let you know.