Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I make jokes about Summer Glau being perfect in this show because she's great at acting like a robot (:rimshot:) but seriously she and the writers/director really did great things with Cameron.

Also the often-mentioned THAT scene with Derek was loving amazing and horrifying all at once, it was just perfect.

I still really love Linda Hamilton's acting in T2 but I think Lena Headey gives her a good run for the money. So many great moments like when she confronts her old buddy (the guy who played the chieftain dude in Stargate and is in every loving show but I can never remember his name) for selling them out to the feds and just blowing him away, or the way Sarah and Cameron had this series-long 'battle' over John going on, it was amazing I just can't say that enough.

I also really, really wish we knew where they were going with the season 2 cliffhanger, everything about John Henry and the T-1000 lady had me on the edge of my seat. Especially seeing Cromartie's body being so peaceful and childlike, that was just loving creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Coca Koala posted:

You've also heard his work for the soundtrack of Battlestar Galactica, right? Because if you haven't, it's probably worth watching that show purely for the music and sound direction.

McReary's version of All Along the Watchtower in that one episode was magical.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It certainly changed it, but not in a good way. It made no sense at all. How did brain reprogramming lead to the end of civilisation? It made no sense.

It was weaponized reprogramming. Think of it like terrorist bombings, only instead of killing people the bomb turns everyone who hears it into slavering madmen that attack anything that moves. Then imagine the escalation as more and more nations/factions start using this technology.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think terminators are a perfectly legitimate use of the term 'cyborg' - they're just not the stereotypical cyborg (fully human except has a robotic arm or whatever). Nothing about the term makes it have to be 'a human with mechanical grafts/parts'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

I'm sure its only a matter of time before someone shows up with a loop or infinite timelines theory they read in a Terminator comic, but I like to think of the future in TSCC as a single, infinitely mutable state of existence. Every change made in the relative past rewrites the future and the people who were left behind along with it.

NowDerek goes back in time, and changes the future so that that one dude ends up torturing FutureDerek. This doesn't effect NowDerek because he's 'upstream' but this means that Jesse's timeline has now changed so when she goes back in time, she remembers her Derek (FutureDerek) being tortured. It's basically the 'new futures are being created all over' thing except it's only the one future that keeps being rewritten like a VHS casette being taped over repeatedly. So even though FutureDerek is tortured NowDerek doesn't remember it because HE wasn't tortured when he was in the future.

gently caress now I have a headache.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Astroman posted:

And they're bringing back Heroes.

This is meant to be a good thing?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

I think what I hated most about the new films (well the last one anyway) was that Skynet spoke to the protagonist. I always liked it being this distant evil who is playing a game so big that it doesn't personally bother interacting with humans. Made it much more scary.

SkyNet speaking to people is dumb just like giving the Borg a queen was dumb. The faceless, monolithic, alien threat is a better one IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

The Borg Queen wasn't dumb, but the explanation for why there was a Borg Queen was dumb. The Borg were just handed their asses twice by a virus/rogue borg infiltrating their ranks, so it makes perfect sense for them to create a semi-autonomous unit capable of overriding malicious code/influences in the collective. However, it makes sense only in response to the Federation's actions (and, more specifically, Picard's memories). Having her "always been there," though, was just stupid.

No the Queen was dumb as an entire concept. It immediately gave the Borg a face and voice that characters could relate to. The entire reason the Borg were scary was that you couldn't reason with them, you couldn't bargain with them, because they were alien. As soon as you add the Queen all that uncaring malice evaporates. The whole point of the Borg was that there were no individuals within it.

• Locked thread