Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Northwestern just rallied from a 10-run deficit at the 7th inning stretch to beat Iowa 14-13. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So today was fucken rad as hell. Got to enjoy the Egg Bowl on the diamond with the largest on-campus crowd ever for a baseball game (15,586), and see us rally from a 5-2 deficit in the bottom of the 10th to beat Ole Miss. All while gettin fucken throwed.

I don't think college baseball gets better than what you get at Dudy Noble.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So South Carolina is in the middle of a really, really bad slump right now. After dropping a hard-fought series to Florida, we promptly lost to Charleston Southern and The Citadel, which are both sub-.500 teams. The injury bug has hit us hard -- we've been without our second baseman, third baseman, shortstop, and rightfielder for most of the past week and a half. We got a couple of those guys back for the Auburn series, but we just dropped Game 1 of today's doubleheader, so who knows how things will go from here.

e: Finally snapped our five-game losing streak with a come-from-behind win in Game 2. Thank god. Really need that series win tomorrow.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 20, 2014

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

And meanwhile, TCU is close to being 9-1 this month and close to sweeping Texas in Austin. Our pitching rotation is absolutely killer, and we have some young folks (such as the impossibly-perfectly named Boomer White) that our making our offense much more alive than it's been in the past few years.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
LSU's finally coming around, especially at the plate & on defense. Starting to build up steam with a 2-1 series win over Ole Miss this weekend; just need to fix the baserunning woes.

Oh, someone had a run-in with an Ole Miss ball girl:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gamecocks thankfully hang on and take the series from Auburn. This could very well end up being a season saver.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
UNC loses two of three to #1 UVA, continuing what is shaking out to be a tough season. All three games were close, and UNC outhit UVA in one of the losses, but it's just been that kind of season for the Heels. Carolina lost so much of last year's talent to the professional ranks that this team simply has been no room for error. Yet errors are precisely the problem for this team, as they're committing them at a truly alarming rate in the field. Last year's offense was a little shaky but counteracted that by being insanely clutch. It's just not the same this season due to roster turnover. The pitching has been okay overall, but the offense simply hasn't been able to click consistently and, when the bats actually have gotten going, the team has been hamstrung by mental errors, particularly in the field.

In any event, Mike Fox has earned a down year and what better time to have one than 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LSU's left fielder made a sick catch last night to force extra innings.

http://deadspin.com/lsu-outfielder-makes-one-of-the-best-catches-youll-ever-1571191086

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Indiana just swept arch rival Purdue in 3 games, winning by a combined margin of 19 runs and setting a couple of IU baseball attendance records. I went to two of the games, they were pretty fun.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia took 2 of 3 from South Carolina somehow.

gently caress South Carolina.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

We got a win today but still, gently caress this season. :smith:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston has won the UH-Rice season series for the first time since 2000 and swept Rice for the first time since 1991. It's looking better and better that the city of Houston will host two regionals.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Made it up to Corvallis this weekend for the Saturday/Sunday wins over UW.

Beavs RPI should be solid enough now to secure a national seed. If we win out should be a top 2 seed. Hopefully my buddy can get me tix for the regionals.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Georgia took 2 of 3 from South Carolina somehow.

gently caress South Carolina.

Yeah, that was really loving embarrassing.

Thankfully, we finished the regular season strong by taking two of three from Vanderbilt on the road, which put us squarely in contention for a national seed. We'll probably need to further solidify that position with a win or two in Hoover, which is easier said than done -- we tend to sandbag the SEC tournament and save our arms for the NCAAs, but we may not have that luxury this year. We at least got a first-round bye and will face the winner of Mississippi State-Georgia, so hopefully we can pay Georgia back for that series loss. I would certainly prefer seeing them again than facing a solid MSU club.

Tomorrow I'll be in Greensboro for the UNC-State play-in game, so that should be fun. Go Heels, etc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
LSU just 10-run-ruled Vandy.

:catstare:

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Kibner posted:

LSU just 10-run-ruled Vandy.

:catstare:

It was glorious. I was at the game and couldn't have asked for a better result. Poche pitched a gem after the first inning and we didn't have to use anyone else and the bats were alive. Weather was perfect too. Baseball owns.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After the best season in program history last year, NC State finished not the worst, but definitely the most disappointing yesterday, losing in the play-in game of the ACC tournament.

Of course it was to UNC by a single run, and of course State scored the actual tying run on a call that the home plate ump totally blew because he was too buy making a theatrical strikeout call. Shouldn't matter, the Pack had plenty of other chances to score runs, and they had no business being near the play-in game in the first place. What's worse: they had to have a decent end-of-season run just to make that game, period.

Anyway, thus ends the careers of probably the two best players in program history, Carlos Rodon and Trea Turner, and a pretty good supporting class goes with them. Was fun watching them, but totally lovely that all the gains made from the Omaha appearance last year have been pissed away now.

In the meantime the ACCT continues on, looks like 3 national seeds for the ACC, FSU UVA Miami, unless one of them totally bombs this weekend.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I wish I'd checked the thread before driving over yesterday morning, Rumblefish, I was at the game as well.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska just came back from 3 down in the bottom of the 9th to win their first game of the Big 10 tournament 7-6 against Ohio State. Also, Nebraska is hosting the tourney this year and the unofficial attendance total for this game beat the attendance of the entire 2013 tourney.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

swizz posted:

I wish I'd checked the thread before driving over yesterday morning, Rumblefish, I was at the game as well.

Nice! Couldn't have asked for better baseball weather and the Grasshoppers have a great little venue. I went with a State fan and was sitting right behind their dugout, and man that was a bloodthirsty group after that call at the plate. Really enjoyed seeing Trent Thornton wiggle out of that 2nd/3rd, no outs jam and Skye Bolt's home run was cool as well. Weird rollercoaster for both teams this season.

e: Very favorable results for the Gamecocks today, with both Vandy and Ole Miss losing and set to play each other tomorrow. That could simplify the SEC's national seed race.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 21, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

elentar posted:

In the meantime the ACCT continues on, looks like 3 national seeds for the ACC, FSU UVA Miami, unless one of them totally bombs this weekend.

Miami dropping their first game in pool play might have pushed them back on the bubble for the national seed. Ugh.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

1 seed Indiana is having trouble with eighth seeded Iowa right now. 2-2 in the 4th.

E: As I say that, three Indiana batters put up two runs to make it 4-2.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 22, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

To the surprise of no one, the Gamecocks currently look like a JV team in Hoover. The loser's bracket should wind up being a pretty impressive group of SC, Florida, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt. Geez.

I've grown to expect us being a no-show in the SEC tournament, but we actually needed a solid performance this year -- plus I'm just tired of watching us trip all over our dicks there. Maybe we can get some revenge against Florida, but I won't hold my breath.

e: Hahaha wow, we're really gonna get run-ruled. If only we could just go home now and skip tomorrow's game entirely.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 22, 2014

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Yearly reminder that those in Hoover for the SECT should head the few miles up the Montgomery Hwy to Vestavia and get Cuban sandwiches at Kool Korner.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Since winning the SEC tournament in 2004, the Gamecocks are 8-20 in Hoover. :c00lbutt:

I assume we're out of it for a national seed, but who knows. We might get some breaks depending on how far some other teams go in their tournaments (namely Ole Miss and Miami).

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Georgia Tech won the ACC Tournament, defeating Maryland and preventing them from taking an ACC championship with them to the Big Ten. Bonus: UNC beat them yesterday.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
San Diego State just upset UNLV to win the MWC Tournament and a spot in the CWS for the second year in a row :cheers:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
LSU comes out of nowhere & absolutely skull-fucks the SEC tournament. Closest game was the final; 2-0 against UF today. LSU hit more HR's in their appearances this tournament than were hit in last year's tournament by all the teams combined.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston wins the AAC tournament. Hopefully with a top 10 RPI they can host a regional.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

LSU comes out of nowhere & absolutely skull-fucks the SEC tournament. Closest game was the final; 2-0 against UF today. LSU hit more HR's in their appearances this tournament than were hit in last year's tournament by all the teams combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if they increased their season total for HRs by a non-insignificant amount, too. I don't know where this offense has come from when compared to earlier in the year, but it is awesome to see.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they increased their season total for HRs by a non-insignificant amount, too. I don't know where this offense has come from when compared to earlier in the year, but it is awesome to see.

It's official: LSU will be hosting a regional and (unofficially) is likely a top-8 seed if the gods smile upon them. My dream is that Houston wins their regional & travels to Lafayette for the supers and ends up downing the Cajuns. ULL's looking great this year.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 26, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Coral Gables gets a regional, which isn't too big of a surprise. 42 years in a row in the NCAA tournament. With the weak tournament from the ACC top seeds, I suspect Miami fell out of national seed contention as I doubt there will be 3 from the ACC.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
I was at the LSU/UF game today. Like always, it was 90% LSU fans and there is no doubt in my mind they had a nontrivial impact on the game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TCU is also set to secure a regional after beating Okie State today in the Big 12 championships.

This team seriously looked nothing like it did in the first half of the year, and we have a seriously scary pitching trio right now.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The IU Hoosiers are Big Ten champs for the second year in a row, beating Nebraska 8-4 in front of an overwhelmingly pro-Huskers crowd.

Bloomington will be host to a regional.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

San Diego State just upset UNLV to win the MWC Tournament and a spot in the CWS for the second year in a row :cheers:

I don't care about baseball but we'll never be able to beat you in anything ever anymore :negative:

Lessail fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 26, 2014

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

UNC has been relatively down this season but I believe they've done enough to make the NCAAT. It was close there for a while but they seem pretty solidly in. This team never fully clicked but they weren't so bad as to be embarrassing or anything. We'll probably get shipped down to Columbia where we are generally disliked and don't stand much of a chance of making it out but it's okay. Hopefully next year's group of new dudes will be able to swing the bat a little better and cut down on the errors.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's official: LSU will be hosting a regional and (unofficially) is likely a top-8 seed if the gods smile upon them. My dream is that Houston wins their regional & travels to Lafayette for the supers and ends up downing the Cajuns. ULL's looking great this year.

Nope. The regionals are:

quote:

@KendallRogersPG: Hosts: #LSU #Indiana #Virginia #Miami #OregonState #SouthCarolina #TCU #UF #Rice #Louisville #CalPoly #OKState #FSU #Vanderbilt #OleMiss #ULL

:secsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

I don't care about baseball but we'll never be able to beat you in anything ever anymore :negative:

Man you demolished us in football just this year

• Locked thread