Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Maryland eliminates South Carolina in its own regional to advance to the supers.

The Gamecocks stranded nineteen runners in a fitting end for a somewhat frustrating season, though it should be noted that we passed the 40-win mark, swept Clemson, and came within spitting distance of a national seed. It's just that we haven't stalled out in regional play since 2009, and given our recent accomplishments, such a performance is jarring. In some ways, Holbrook got this group to overachieve, but in others, they never quite lived up to their potential. We've been on a slight but noticeable slide since losing the 2012 title series, so I think that's what has me more nervous than anything.

Basically I'm spoiled and not used to feeling sad after home games in the postseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
South Carolina has basically waved the white flag here, drat. Down 9 runs to Maryland in the bottom of the 9th, lose and go home. :psyduck:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

First time we've been eliminated at home since 2000 (that was a super) and first time we've lost a home regional since 1976.

:negative:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^^ Sorry about SC this year, y'all are always one of my favorite SEC teams to watch. :smith:

In other news, TCU is set to win their regional. Sam Houston is exhausted after the 22 inning marathon last night, elimination game against Siena today, and then this game.

Edit: It's over. TCU's hosting a super regional.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 2, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Houston allowed an in-park homerun due to not knowing some obscure park-specific rule and have since just fallen apart. Three players converged on a blooper in right field and none of them caught it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Of course I say that, and now Houston has bases loaded, no outs, with the tying run at the plate.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kibner posted:

Of course I say that, and now Houston has bases loaded, no outs, with the tying run at the plate.

drat, Houston just tied it up.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God drat I have missed playing the aggies so much that I'm riveted by baseball. Absolutely no offense intended to baseball fans it just hasn't been a sport I've ever paid much attention to especially at the college level. But this Houston tournament has owned enough that I'll probably end up watching next year too

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Gotta love the commentary. "Now there's a lot of people that haven't been to Lafayette"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Clutch strikeout by the LSU pitcher. Runners were on the corners with 2 outs, tie game, top of the 9th.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Gotta love the commentary. "Now there's a lot of people that haven't been to Lafayette"

What a shame too: the prettiest girls in the state hail from that area.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Houston took a 1 run lead in the top of the 11th.

:ohdear:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
drat, Houston with the comeback win. They scored the last five runs to win 5-4. Final game is tomorrow night.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
The umps hosed over UCI in the top of the 3rd, calling Chris Rabago out at home despite him getting under the tag easily. So instead of UCI tying it 1-1, OSU got the chance to break things open with a 3-run rally in the bottom of the inning and it's 4-0.

Those "experimental" instant replay things had better be adopted next year for regional play, especially because they have ESPN cameras everywhere.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

drat, Houston with the comeback win. They scored the last five runs to win 5-4. Final game is tomorrow night.

Put that all on Paul Manieri. That stubborn son-of-a-bitch has made a career at LSU out of leaving pitchers in the game way too long. Should've pulled McCune before regulation ended.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So ULL thumped us tonight 14 - 8. We didn't quite get the game we expected out of our "ace" not to mention ULL has got some serious bats in their lineup. We've got three really solid arms left for tomorrow in Lindgren, Laster, and Holder, though, so I've still got a little optimism. If ULL hits anything like they did today it won't matter, unfortunately.

Lindgren is looking at potentially breaking a national record as he's sitting close to 17 K's per 9 innings pitched. Hopefully he's on point tomorrow and we can actually hit against whoever the hell ULL has left.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
The completion of UNC-LBSU is postponed until tomorrow at noon. The game was delayed due to storms like four times today, and you could never tell which team was going to come out of the given delay with momentum and ready to play baseball. Hitters were thrown off, pitchers were warming up and sitting down constantly, the whole day was just a mess. The teams have traded the lead several times thus far, but LBSU is up 5-4 with two runners on and one out in the top of the seventh. I'm not optimistic but I'll take what little shot we have, the circumstances being what they are

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA cruised again today against Arkansas. They're looking good for now but I'm still worried about their bullpen depth against the better teams. Still, they're in a better position than any other national seed right now besides TCU, and it took them 42 innings to win their 3 games.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
UCI falls to Oregon State 4-0 and we get to do all this dumb crap again tomorrow night. Bleh.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Kibner posted:

:getin:

Still bitter that we didn't get to host a regional this year despite winning the AAC tournament and finishing 11th in RPI. Sweeping Rice in the season series was pretty nice, though.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

SporkOfTruth posted:

UCI falls to Oregon State 4-0 and we get to do all this dumb crap again tomorrow night. Bleh.
Going to be pretty exciting. I will probably be there.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

elentar posted:

UVA cruised again today against Arkansas. They're looking good for now but I'm still worried about their bullpen depth against the better teams. Still, they're in a better position than any other national seed right now besides TCU, and it took them 42 innings to win their 3 games.

We're good but I have never gotten the feeling about this team that I did in 2011, when we were #1 most of the year and finished #3. We'll beat Maryland and go to Omaha, it's a crapshoot once we get there though.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

My 100% biased opinion says LSU has at least looked fine.

Haha gently caress. Rubber game today at 7.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

paperchaseguy posted:

We're good but I have never gotten the feeling about this team that I did in 2011, when we were #1 most of the year and finished #3. We'll beat Maryland and go to Omaha, it's a crapshoot once we get there though.

I dunno, I keep thinking Maryland has stopped loving over my teams on their way out of the ACC but they keep getting new chances to do so. I'm expecting it to go the full three games, and preparing for the worst.

edit: OK, now Oregon State can lose. Go Anteaters!

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 2, 2014

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
LBSU small balled the ever-living poo poo out of us out of the postponement and UNC's season ends with another loss to a West Coast team. Not a bad season but not one of the best. I'm hopeful for next season, although it will be hard to say what UNC's roster will look like until well after the MLB Draft (as is the case every year).

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Haha gently caress. Rubber game today at 7.

And I expect Houston to go out in a wimper because it's a Houston team

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Korranus posted:

And I expect Houston to go out in a wimper because it's a Houston team

We're not playing Southern Miss so we might be fine

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Miami comes back & wins in extras to force a Winner Take All with Texas Tech in about half an hour.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Officially all-in on the CofC bandwagon. Go Cougs.

PWI
Jun 1, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
It is loving pouring in Bloomington right now but we have a 3-0 lead last I saw. ESPNU is switching between Stanford-IU and TTU-Miami.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
TTU gets screwed out of a potential win last night by the rain (come back with an arm that isn't ready, no momentum), but Cameron Smith pitches his first game over 100 pitches, his first complete game, and a shut out to beat Miami 4-0.

Supers are going to Lubbock!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wow, this Cartwright kid is doing horrible. A beaned batter and then 8 straight balls, I think.

e: yeah, 2 strikes, 8 balls, 1 beaned batter

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And he has been pulled after loading the bases.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Yeah he looked pretty loving bad when I saw him at the SEC championship game but Florida couldn't hit poo poo so it didn't matter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Holy cow, all the LSU pitchers are making GBS threads the bed.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
9-2 right now, gently caress this I'm going to go drink until I die.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Welp that does it for us, ULL won 5 - 3. All things considered, making it to a Regional championship isn't too bad for a down year. Sure wish we could figure the whole "batting" thing out.

Sure would have been nice to have an Egg Bowl Super, though.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Sports are dumb and I hate them. :(

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Wow. Stanford with a walk-off in the 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Sports are dumb and I hate them. :(

Me too buddy.

A walk-off homer means two consecutive losses for IU and the Hoosiers are eliminated at home.

• Locked thread