Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for those awesome writeups and suggestions guys, they'll definitely get put into the OP!

Also I'm hoping to start an MP in about 7 minutes or so as well so hop into the group chat if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eat my Ecumenial rear end Papist scum!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just want to chime in again on how protectorates are really dumb. There doesn't seem to be any way to force a nation to stop having one. I just want to free Ethiopia from the Mamluks and there is no way to make it happen. Also can nations break free from them? Why would Crimea choose to be under one province Poland? There is no benefit for them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm looking at it on the mobile site but it looks like it's $10 for just the base game, but some of the DLC is also on sale for 75% off.

Oh, wait, it's actually not even a bundle at all. :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anybody know if there's a mod for the Ottomans that ensures their various Janissary events will fire? I'm thinking of doing a playthrough where I try to advance as far as possible into Europe and just ignore the middle-east entirely, but I'd rather not invest a bunch of hours and miss out on super infantry.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I just want to chime in again on how protectorates are really dumb. There doesn't seem to be any way to force a nation to stop having one. I just want to free Ethiopia from the Mamluks and there is no way to make it happen. Also can nations break free from them? Why would Crimea choose to be under one province Poland? There is no benefit for them.

I was drawn into two unexpected wars in that Byz game because my vassal Georgia made a habit of establishing protectorates over the 2-3 province horde countries left without asking me.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fuligin posted:

Anybody know if there's a mod for the Ottomans that ensures their various Janissary events will fire? I'm thinking of doing a playthrough where I try to advance as far as possible into Europe and just ignore the middle-east entirely, but I'd rather not invest a bunch of hours and miss out on super infantry.

You could always just look up the event numbers and type "event ###" into the console to fire them at the appropriate time.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Ethiser posted:

Why would Crimea choose to be under one province Poland? There is no benefit for them.

I think they get faster tech.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any good music mods to add more variety? Also, if so, do they break Ironman?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Are there any good music mods to add more variety? Also, if so, do they break Ironman?

If you mod anything it breaks Ironman from what I've seen.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong :v:

Baudin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 31, 2014

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Playing the Ottomans, for a long time my goal has been to enact the unified Islam decision. At long last, I control all the required provinces and have them converted. However, I cannot enact the decision and I worry I may have made a grave error in reading the requirements. It says "All owned provinces in Islam religion group", which I thought meant all the target provinces need to be converted. Does it actually mean every single one of provinces needs to be Muslim? That would be a massive problem, as I own Rome and Venice, both utterly impossible for me to convert. I would hate to have to re-release a bunch of a provinces...

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Baudin posted:

If you mod anything it breaks Ironman from what I've seen.

Several UI mods work with Ironman. Don't know about music mods in general, since I don't play with music, but this one says it's ironman compatible: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201563266&searchtext=music
If that's correct I've no reason to believe that other music mods aren't also ironman compatible.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Nightblade posted:

Several UI mods work with Ironman. Don't know about music mods in general, since I don't play with music, but this one says it's ironman compatible: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201563266&searchtext=music
If that's correct I've no reason to believe that other music mods aren't also ironman compatible.

Thanks - I'll have to take another look at UI mods!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

How do colonial nations work with trade? I was planning to funnel from Chesapeake bay to the North Sea but I guess my colonial subjects will own all the provinces and therefore all the trade power. How do I benefit from controlling North America if I won't even be able to steer the trade?

Your colonial nations won't build huge light ship fleets most of the time so you can easily swamp them with a fleet if you want to directly collect from St. Lawrence or funnel everything to North Sea.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Playing the Ottomans, for a long time my goal has been to enact the unified Islam decision. At long last, I control all the required provinces and have them converted. However, I cannot enact the decision and I worry I may have made a grave error in reading the requirements. It says "All owned provinces in Islam religion group", which I thought meant all the target provinces need to be converted. Does it actually mean every single one of provinces needs to be Muslim? That would be a massive problem, as I own Rome and Venice, both utterly impossible for me to convert. I would hate to have to re-release a bunch of a provinces...

All of your provinces must be of an Islamic religion. So release some vassals for the provinces you can't convert.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Struensee posted:

All of your provinces must be of an Islamic religion. So release some vassals for the provinces you can't convert.

You get +2% missionary strength from the decision, too, so if you re-annex them you may be able to convert them after the decision.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Your colonial nations won't build huge light ship fleets most of the time so you can easily swamp them with a fleet if you want to directly collect from St. Lawrence or funnel everything to North Sea.

Also you get half of your subjects' trade power.

I've noticed occaisonally having issue getting light ships to patrol in nodes where I don't have a merchant or provinces (but do have subjects), is this WAD?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

Also you get half of your subjects' trade power.

I've noticed occaisonally having issue getting light ships to patrol in nodes where I don't have a merchant or provinces (but do have subjects), is this WAD?

Yes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dibujante posted:

Steam and EU4 don't play well together in that regard. To get a mod to download or update off of Steam workshop, you need to start EU4, get to the launcher, launch vanilla EU4, then open up the single or multiplayer menu, then close EU4, then start EU4, then go to the launcher and pray that it's there.

Well dang!

Thanks though, I'll see if I can get it going.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So I learned today that the Papal States can't change government type due to revolutionaries. I've conquered all of Italy and liberated the east from the Ottoman menace so when a rebel event hit I though maybe the people deserved a voice in choosing their leader. The rebel progress bar said I'd become a republic when they won but no dice. I kind of hoped I'd just become Italy. I guess the Papal Empire shall reign eternal.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Trying an Orthodox Ottoman HRE WC at the moment, is there a way to release nations that have provinces outside of HRE adding range (Mallorca, Azores, Iceland etc.) as HRE vassals? I tricked Aragon into becoming a HRE vassal by selling Mallorca to Spain before releasing them but Portugal always ends up putting its capital in the Azores.

I may also have released Portugal too early, if they found a new colonial nation as my vassal, will that one count as mine for the WC?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, it's 1550 and other than a few ships passing by along the coast, I haven't seen hide or hair of the Europeans. Ironically, I just unlocked Quest for the New World, so now I'm about to send an expedition eastward to figure out what the hold up is.

Then I got to thinking, I'd really love for there to be a Years of Salt and Rice DLC - basically if you play a non-western nation, there'd be a chance that Europe would be completely empty.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ethiopia in gooniversalis is super fun to play. Orthodox with the muslim tech group and you can colonize everything before the euros even think of going past the cape. And so much gold.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

What am I doing with my life?

I've also just worked out a full actual week of 24 hour days is only 168 hours. Someone else have more please so I don't feel so bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I've also just worked out a full actual week of 24 hour days is only 168 hours. Someone else have more please so I don't feel so bad.

412 in EU4 and 500+ in CK2. I'm not even the most on my friends list.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Mine says something absurd, like 1600 hours, so that should do it right there. :)

It's kind of a meaningless metric, though, because it seems to count when you, say, leave the game running overnight, which I do constantly.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the game logic for never ending royal marriages? It's really annoying.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
England/GB feels a lot weaker nowadays. Not only in terms of playing them but also the AI. I mean the AI has always mismanaged Eng/GB in every EU game because it's always struggled with trade, naval and islands but with all the changes to colonisation and the trade map and the nerf to their embargo efficiency (and all of that on top of Henry VI) they kinda get hosed over a lot.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Updated the thread with some of the new guides/country strategies so thanks for all of those.

What's the current strategy for surviving the Byzantine start?

I'd assume that most of the stuff from 1.3 still works? (like deccing & vassaling Albania right off the bat etc.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

Updated the thread with some of the new guides/country strategies so thanks for all of those.

I'd assume that most of the stuff from 1.3 still works? (like vassaling Albania right off the bat etc.

Yes, except you'll need to end vassalization of Albania and Athens to end the first war. Which is great, because you have cores on both, so you won't have to waste diplomatic relations slots on two OPMs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mans posted:

?? Endless potential to get a claim throne CB on your most hated enemies because you grabbed a RM when they didn't hate you yet?

How is that a bad thing? As Poland I got a personal union with Russia AND Denmark doing that! It's amazing

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Mediocre posted:

A link to the excellent country guides on the wiki might be easier. It doesn't have a comprehensive guide for every country but what is there is pretty handy.

Most of these are out of date or very bad.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Last Emperor posted:

I'd assume that most of the stuff from 1.3 still works? (like deccing & vassaling Albania right off the bat etc.

Flee to America through Ireland, proclaim a reconquista once you have the entire continent. :colbert:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mans posted:

The 1.4 patch changed it so that Royal Marriages would no longer end when of the married countries entered a Regency. Though I believe they still end when there is a change in ruling Dynasty, I've never checked to see exactly what conditions will result in the loss of a RM, or whether getting a new Dynasty will get you a new set of RMs. If you have Diplomatic Ideas maxed out or are the Papal controller you will not suffer any negative penalties for manually breaking a RM. (maybe -1 prestige?)

Last Emperor posted:

The most successful starts I've had are still permutations of the "Ally Serbia Day 1, Attack Albania day 2" strategy but there are a lot of ways to go about this, the important thing is simply to get a truce with the Ottomans at all cost to buy more time as you secure Alliances from powerful Christian countries close enough to help you. (Poland/Lithuania are probably the easiest to get involved in your wars, especially when they are combined by a Union. Austria, Aragon/Spain, Venice, and sometimes I've even heard of the Mamluks helping out but I've rarely been able to get any of them in on the crucial early wars)

Step By Step this is my most sure-fire way to start a Byzantine game.

Day 1
Load up the game, Make your leader a general, buy an admiral, and check to see if Serbia will ally you (do not accept a Royal Marriage offer from them just yet). If Serbia wont ally you or you get absolutely terrible leaders consider reloading for a more generous starting situation. When you're happy with your beginnings send Serbia an alliance offer, build 1 regiment of infantry in three provinces(you want a final total of 1k Cav and 7k Infantry), assign your leader to the army (you can use your heir if he is a much better commander but losing the heir can result in pretender wars as your leader is already a little old to make a new batch of heirs) and your Admiral to the fleet, load up the 4k troops you can fit in your fleet and sail for Zeta (Serbian coast near Albania). Declare the Ottomans as your Rival (this will get you extra prestige when you win and Poland, Lithuania, and Austria all occasionally declare them rivals too getting you improved relations) You'll have ~20 ducats left at this point, and you can either use it to queue up some galleys to bolster your fleet or to hire an adviser (early on the only adviser I find worth the money are military ones, +morale +reinforcement rate and +manpower modifier are all very good but you really just want to stay as far ahead or on par with the ottomans as you can on mil tactics/new units)
Advance one day

Day 2
Serbia should have accepted the alliance so send your fleet to land troops in their port. At this point check on Albania, 99/100 they will be unallied but as of patch 1.3 Aragon will almost always ally them eventually even as they are getting crushed by the OE, I've never seen them allied by day 2 but it could happen, if it does I would restart. Declare war on Albania DO NOT CALL ALLIES you will see why soon. Unpause and keep the game on low speed as you really dont want to be wasting any time.

The First Albanian-Ottoman-Byzantine War
I'm sure the Sultan in Edirne must chuckle to himself every time he sees the puny Greeks contest him for what must certainly be the poorest province in Europe. But Greek-Turk hostilities do not begin and a de-facto alliance against the Albanians holds for now. Get your entire 8k army into Zeta and send a diplomat to either Ragusa or Bosnia to get Military Access, as soon as your troops are safely outside Serbian territory, park your fleet off the coast of Albania blockading the coastal province. The blockade should get you enough warscore to vassalize them, make sure you have both of your diplomats at home and ready for work before you send the peace offer.

Vassalize Albania and demand as many ducats as you can get (sometimes they wont quite accept, wait a few months and let them realize the hopelessness of their war with the Turk and they'll come around.) As soon as Albania is your subject you will inherit their war with the Ottomans. This is a war you can not win so pause on the first day to lose as little as possible. Hide your money by queuing up galleys or infantries and use your 2nd diplomat to sue for peace immediately and accept their demands. Before patch 1.4 they would usually accept 30-60 ducats or sometimes even a 'concede defeat' option, since CoP came out I've never seen them accept this again. Now they seem to always demand the same thing, release Athens and Albania as sovereign nations. It may sound like a bad idea to go into a war knowing you'll only lose a vassal and everything you won from the first war, but you have cores on Athens and Albania, and this forced release ends up speeding up the re-integration process quite a bit.

The First Byzantine-Ottoman Truce
So, you just lost your only vassal, you're down to 3 provinces, the clock is ticking 5 years down until the Turks come for you, and your army is hiding with their tails between their legs in Ragusa or Bosnia, what now?

Now is when the Phoenix rises.

As soon as your diplomat returns with the Olive Branch from Edirne, you send him with a sword to Serbia. Those Balkan Bastards didnt want to march to war with you when the Ottomans attacked your vassal Albania (or so Byzantine revisionists will insist) so declare war on your first Balkan subject-to-be and make a dash right for their main army. Your 8,000 troops at full morale (your troops should never fight before this, so you dont have to keep the budget full all game, just make sure they're ready to strike when the time comes) should be able to wipe their unsuspecting stack of 5-6 almost always sitting at half morale or lower in the Serbian Capitol. When their army is dealt with split into 4 groups of 2 to siege down all their provinces. As soon as the diplomacy cooldown with the Ottomans run out, send another emmissary to Edirne to 'send a warning' to the Ottomans not to declare war, as you will have a truce you shouldn't even get called to war against them but this will prevent them from doing the same to you for the duration of the warning (10-20 years?)

During the sieges you may want to send one diplomat to Poland to begin improving relations. Check their diplomacy page for what countries they have declared as rivals, They will almost always have the Teutonic Knights as a rival, but that's not the best use of a rival slot for you. If they have Bohemia declared as a rival (50/50) this is much better because Bohemia is a common rival of Austria and Hungary as well, either way you'll need the +20 relations so set one up. You may also want to check Bosnia/Wallachia's attitudes toward forming an alliance with you, they often declare rivals with Serbia and will like you jumping in to show them what for (for a very brief window considering what we'll do next)

When you have fully sieged down Serbia you will want to only annex Zeta (gotta get those fleet limits up as fast as possible) and vassalize the rest of Serbia. If you managed to get another Balkan state to ally with you during this war, send them a call to arms. The AI will always refuse a call to arms after 60 days of war, but them refusing will still get you the same casus belli you just used on Serbia. You can then use that CB to pull the same trick on Bosnia/Wallachia. With the new changes to vassal feeding you can still feed all of Bosnia or Wallachia to your vassal Serbia if the Serbian Duke/King has a militaristic personality (you can now see the personalities in the diplomacy page for each nation, Warlike/Militaristic is a little hatchet in a box)

Depending on luck with sieges this war should have lasted no more than a year or two, keep an eye on Poland and get a Royal Marriage as soon as relations are high enough, shortly after that you should be able to get an alliance (it takes ~3 years to get the full +100 opinion boost and depending on a few variables you should need +60-90 along with the boost from common Rivals and RM but all that gets you a huge army to come defend the empire (I've seen the Pol-Lit PU machine send several 20-30k stacks at the Ottomans) If PU has not formed by this time you might consider sending a diplomat to start currying favor in Lithuania (the PU event sometimes just doesn't fire, but you can still get both of them to come to war with you, it just takes time and another diplo relations slot)

This is when the 'formula' of my opener wears thin. But the rogues gallery stays the same, it's all about picking the weakest target and pouncing on them for all they've got. Your Polish Alliance will act as a great deterrent for war with the Ottomans, the biggest mistake you can make at this point is looking at the ledger and your alliances huge troop disparity vs the Ottomans and attacking them when the truce is up. They have friends. Crimea, Algiers, the "Qunluyu" countries. And knowing your luck they probably already had the Janissary events fire. Let them come to you. Keep your manpower as high as possible, keep relations up with Poland, and when they attack for Constantinople, trap them in Europe while your allies run them through a Slavic/Polish/Belorussian meatgrinder a few times and your own troops sip daiquiris in Cyprus. Speaking of Cyprus, these are the people you should be declaring war on in the meanwhile.

Greek OPMs
These are the small islands and counties that share your Greek/Orthodox population and or you have a core on in the Eastern Med. Albania, Athens, Trebizond, Cyprus, Rhodes, Naxos, Crete, Corfu, and Kaffa

Most of these places start out under someone else's protection; Venice, Mamluks, Austria, or Georgia. They will however occasionally break off and rebel and join you without a war, this can be helped along by the diplomatic support rebels option, or just prayed for. They do warrant constant monitoring though, as with a little vigilance you will almost always find a few of these places vulnerable and it's a great opportunity to mop up prestige and an extra province or two.

The Balkans
If there are any independent states left here you should always be on the lookout to snatch them up. Not much to say here, they're easy targets who very rarely form alliances outside of each other. Early on if you get every Serbian province they will become an accepted culture but the window for that closes quickly as there just isn't enough base tax there. You may want to convert culture in a few of the richer nodes (Munteia/Serbia/Zeta/Ragusa/Dalmatia) and leave the rest.

Hungary
With Poland or Austria as an ally, it is pretty easy to put Hungary to the sword. As they often ally -> vassalize Ragusa it will be impossible to expand West without meeting the Hungarians on the field. With 1-2 allies you can just hide your armies in Greece until your friends clear out a the big armies and begin your work sieging down all the turf you want. If you already took Dalmatia from Venice I would suggest releasing Croatia as a vassal before doing this as you can easily get all Hungary's Crotian provinces in one war (including Ragusa) and maybe one or two more that could be fed to a Militaristic Serbia or Croatia.

Venice
Your first Big Boy war. Austria or Hungary sometimes help in these wars if you chose to ally them, but ultimately you will have to beat them yourself at sea to be able to get anything out of this war, and if you can do that you can probably take them 1v1. The Venetian Fleet is very competent and usually has a 0/18/10/8 stack, give or take a few ships. The best way to take them is to park your fleet somewhere in the Adriatic/Ionian or the Straits of Messina and wait until their trade fleet (and hopefully just the trade fleet) lands on top of you before declaring war. You will still want at least 18-20 galleys (trade ships will not pay for themselves this early on for Byzantium) and 6-8 cogs along with a talented admiral or naval morale advisor(the extra dip points can also be used to hire a new better admiral). But it is amazingly profitable as once you crush their fleet send a few regiments to siege down their safe harbor and kick the snot out of them a few more times. You will be rewarded with up to a dozen new ships (at this stage I usually disband the expensive trade ships to save on costs and maximize my military fleet) and free reign to siege down the numerous Venetian provinces where you have a core. If left alone for long enough, Venice will often invade either Albania, Cyprus, Athens, or diplo-vassalize The Knights of Rhodes, so depending on how successful they've been you might not even be able to fleece them in a single war. But in most of my games, the crushing of Venice is sweet payback for memories of the Third Crusade and the Latin Empire that gets me one step closer to fighting The powerful Turks. Istria and Dalmatia are rich provinces on par with Athens (5 base tax?) and still just outside the HRE's grasp to keep them off your back for another few decades. I would recommend against taking any HRE provinces this early in the game as you will have no choice but to turn them over. Rather wait until Venice is down to 2 provinces and make a vassal of them. Austria is usually fastidious about removing Venetian cores they ought to still have a few. (don't Annex Venice as it will be ages before you can affordably core+convert it.

Aragon
Unless you can get Castille on your side, never to go war with Aragon, they will shipwreck your fleets and leave you helpless to defend your home. But if you've got the allies to take them a successful war can be very lucrative, it could get you a vassal Naples or Sicily while making sure that Spain or other Western powers wont dominate the Mediterranean a century down the line.

Italy
Rome, the Ultimate target for any Byzantine Reconquista, and her surrounding provinces are within your grasp, even before you retake Greece and the Balkans, Italia is sectioned off amongst various nations, none of them any larger than you are for the moment. Tuscany, The Papal State, Ancona, Naples(independent), Siena, Mantua, and Genoa in particular are vulnerable either because they are puny or not protected by the HRE. Declaring war directly on an HRE minor is suicide this early as the Emp will almost always defend them, but there are a few tricks to get around that.

Attacking a Non HRE ally. Commonly in my games, Venice will find an Ally in Tuscany, the Papal State, or Genoa, though this makes the initial hurdle of overcoming their fleet more difficult (those extra 5-10 ships make a huge difference) this just means that you can get 100% warscore worth of provinces twice from the same war. For this to work you'll usually need enough cogs to transport the bulk of your army at once (8-12) but making a vassal out of Tuscany, taking Kaffa from Genoa, or just getting your toe in the boot is often worth it, as Italy will not stay this divided forever. If Naples breaks off it is very cheap to core and convert those poorer South Italian provinces, while anything you take north of Roma should probably be left to vassals. Having Western Tech group vassals can be very helpful. Be mindful though, as Catholic vassals who are given Roma (not even sure if they would accept such an offer post 1.4 patch) receive an event of the Pope demanding the province returned to him and seem to accept it more often than not.

The Mamluks
As they begin the game protecting the independence of Cyprus, and holding 3 of the 5 Patriarchates you will no doubt eventually go to war with the Mamluks as well.
Their fleet is comparable to Venice at the start of the game, but they are rich enough to build a much larger fleet as time drags on, even mixing in tall ships with the usual galley/tradeship Mediterranean fare. Scout them out, and if you can take them at sea, go ahead and declare war on Cyprus. If the Venetians or Mamluks have already taken Cyprus and it is no longer independent, it's best to postpone war with the Mamluks until you're more established, and either war with Venice for it, or support Patriot/Orthodox rebels in Cyprus.

The Barbary Coast
Tripoli and Tunisia aren't the most helpful of wars, but hey, with this rough of a start you should take what you can get. The +dr slots from the Diplomacy ideas tree (which I highly recommend as Byzantium as a first idea) means you can afford to keep sub-optimal vassals. Signs of weakness are usually if the Mamluks are having a bad start these two nations will either break free or stay independent of them. Both can be vassalized in a single war, and beyond the monthly revenue their fleets can really help out in a pinch. If you eventually go on to getting religious ideas it can be easy to annex them, convert them and re-release them as independent Orthodox nations, or just releasing them if you need new relations after they've served their purpose.

Whatever Muslim/Horde country that gobbled up Georgia
Georgia doesnt always get dogpiled right away, hell I've even seen it dominate the region one out of a few dozen games. But it is very common that either Crimea, Aq Qunluyo, Qara Qunluyu, or even Candar snag one or most of the Georgian provinces. If it is Candar (Northern Turkish Minor) that made it so far East they must've gone through Trebizond first, so you can declare war on them with the CB for your core province and take Trebizond + Imereti(coastal neighbor to Treb and part of Georgia) from them in a war. Fabricate a claim on the nearest weak horde/muslim country to hold a piece of Georgia. As soon as your claim is ready release Georgia as a vassal and wait for a good time to declare war. In the war you can return cores to Georgia to plump them up. Circassia is an incredibly strong province as it is the only gold mine you might reasonably get your hands on soon. (Tirol in Austria is the next closest but it'll be awhile before you can beat Austria in the Alps)

The Ottoman Empire
Every Byzantine game begins, and sometimes ends with a war against the Turk. Pray that enough of your allies answer the Call to Arms when the time comes, they must be the hammer to your fleet's anvil. When the Ottomans declare war on your, the CB will almost always be for your Capitol city, this is good! They will bring troops into Edirne or Burgas before the war begins, they know your fleets would block them out otherwise, but usually they dont bring everything over at once. Blocking the strait will prevent any retreat or reinforcements, and give your Polish/Lithuanian/Autrian allies a single target to dogpile. The biggest advantage to letting the OE declare on you is that they are less likely to bring allies. Crimea still joins in sometimes, but Algiers/Qunluyu and whatever other countries they have allied usually dont join offensive wars for the Ottomans. If Crimea joins the war, the AI Lith/Pol will almost always rush to them while Constantinople is sieged, this isnt always a bad turn of events. If you can force a separate peace with Crimea that annuls treaties with the Ottomans, they will not be able to take the long walk across the Black Sea, and whatever troops they have left in Europe is the sum total of lives you must take to reclaim Greece and the Southern Balkans.

The war isnt always this clean though, as long as you have naval superiority there is always a path to victory. If you have used your navy well early on in the war, you should have crushed their fleet entirely, this is hugely beneficial as it allows you to split your fleet and scout the location and troop movements of the Ottomans, while maximizing your blockades. With the time it takes to march across the Black sea while you are hopping back and forth in a matter of days lets you siege provinces in either Greece or Anatolia even when you cannot defeat any army the ottomans have on land. Keep them marching back and forth, blockade his ports, siege the cities back and forth until both of you are at such high war exhaustion that rebels are liberating your cities and conquering his! (dont worry about all the Turkish national rebels in Anatolia, they are stuck in Anatolia forever (will never march around the Black Sea), but as soon as you have Orthodox/Greek Patriots you can hold the Strait just a little longer and you can still pull off what must be one of the most desperate victories in the game. While you can only demand provinces you have sieged yourself (not rebel controlled seiges) rebels can make any province in the game flip to you including Edirne, so rebels capture the capitol you might want to keep the war going a year or two and you can kick them out of Europe in the first war (this rarely ever happens, and tends to be a very messy war with a lot of consequences economy/manpower wise)

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 1, 2014

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Today I learned the France can end up getting all of Burgundy and can get Naples via event. This combined with PUing Castille at random has kinda made my France game into a crazy no-lose proposition.

I'm kinda tempted to either go nuts, or to put it on observe and see if the AI can actually ruin it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

As a muslim, I don't see why I should care.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The multiplayer Europe Gooniversalis game starts in an hour, plenty of room. Check the multiplayer thread for more info!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Trujillo posted:

The multiplayer Europe Gooniversalis game starts in an hour, plenty of room. Check the multiplayer thread for more info!

Is it possible to spectate? If so how?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

double nine posted:

Is it possible to spectate? If so how?

There is an observed button, never used it though.

I suppose it's just a matter of click that when you join up and you should be able to see all our views?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So something weird has been happening in my current (mega-Burgundy: owning all of France) game.
I got drawn into 2 succession wars for electors (and I don't think I was even same dynasty, but not sure).
So of course after I got them I force-vassalized a 3rd one, to queue up to become the Emperor, though even
vassals + PU partners won't always vote for you when you're not in HRE (-50 from that cancels out +50
from vassal/partner)... So I am holding my fingers as the current HRE, Brandenburg, dies, and...
I get elected /and/ drawn in succession war over Brandenburg. Then like 100 years later, I got one
for Austria, too. It's kinda slow to pass reforms when you're not German or Italian, though I do
have revoke the privilegia available --- except a bunch of partners oppose, including my PU junior
partner Austria... What are the mechanics of the CB for that, BTW, do I have a way of forcing them back into
the HRE, or getting diplo-slot free vassalization (don't really care about the Italians, I just want the German
minors).

This is w/the beta patch --- I also kinda wonder if it accidentally gave me lucky, my rulers were just
uncommonly good, so I ended up with lots and lots of buildings.

• Locked thread