Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Ill be streaming tonight's MP session if anyone wants to watch: Stream is over

Nothing to see for the next 20 or so mins though as it takes a while to set up.

Vequeth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Trujillo posted:

Since I know some people appreciate the pretty borders that mp leads to:

I prefer my MP game map, I painted it myself, called it 'Blue'

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Also keep an eye out for the mission to 'fortify X' , it can be a pretty cheap way to get 5 army tradition.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

Whats the theory behind picking England for WC?

Ive been meaning to try but in Ironman games I feel I dont expand fast enough.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
It was hard to get rid of origionally, you could only use admin points to reduce it when you went into Economic idea tree. That has since been nerfed though.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Do protectorates count towards the owning India achievement?

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Working on my England World Conquest attempt in Ironman, Europe has been slower going than I would like, France is under PU, Castille and Porgual are vassals. Fairly worried about HRE progress but im fairly close to 3 of the electors. Through marriages I have the same dynasty as Austria and Hungary but have had no opportunities to claim throne yet.

Colonial wise things are going a bit faster, sadly when I vassalised Castille and Portugal their nations just went independent, and I have no CB against them, so I probably just have to hope my colonial nations swallow them up at some stage. Still a long way to go.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Gort posted:

It bugs me more than it should that when you're Great Britain all your colonies are still "English Mexico" and so on.

Yeah lack of foresight from me there, I debated sticking with the England tag for a while, but Scottish werent accepted culture so it made more sense to go GB.

Its even worse when it doesnt change colour, had a Burgundy go to Netherlands in MP, pink colonial nations next to orange ones.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Last Emperor posted:

Hopefully the new patch makes Hotjoin work better once again?

Since the release of CoP Hotjoining hasn't worked unfortunately (though previously it had worked perfectly!)

Nope

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Update on my WC attempt. Went from

to

New world isnt worth a screenshot now as it is mostly mine, apart from the colonial nations that were released from Portugal/Castille when I vassalised them, I have no CB to take them so they are mostly a headache.

HRE: Vassalised 3 of the smaller electors and have been the emperor for about a year. Need to think of new ways to really start gaining imperial authority since they removed one of the methods this patch I think.

Aragon is now my vassal, went up to around 250% OE holding their provinces while getting them down to vassal size. Will probably leave Castille as a vassal for a while as they are doing a nice job colonizing Africa, maybe I should of let Portugal live for a while longer. Worried about integrating Savoy now as the huge -relations hit with HRE people might stir up some more coalitions.

Austria had a small window of 1 month when they had no heir, was able to get my claim throne CB in just in time, now under a PU. Managed to snag Norway as a vassal so can start feeding them cores soon.

Ottomans and Russia are already huge, but I just finished expansion ideas so really should start looking east soon. Starting to get the feeling I wont make it before the 1821 deadline.

Finally a diplomacy mapmode screenshot:

Vequeth fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 22, 2014

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Its happened to me, only when the other nation has 0 chance of coring the province.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Here's a tl;dr:
Denmark gets good internal stability and a very strong navy.
Sweden gets great armies and leaders.
Norway gets free explorers and colonizers.
Finland has nothing to recommend it.

Denmark the only nation to start the game at -1 stability :(

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
If anyone is interested im going to be streaming tonight's Goon eu4 Multiplayer game: (Stream over! Vod is http://www.twitch.tv/vequeth/b/509338223 )
Its using the Europa Gooniversalis mod, around 1600 in game and usually has 15 or so people. Due to start in 5-10 mins.

I can read chat so feel free to ask any questions, the session usually lasts a few hours.

Vequeth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 9, 2014

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Dickensian Aspect posted:

They are much worse. -25 settlers per year, -25% bonus settlers chance (assuming the wiki is up to date - it's still a significant penalty at any rate). You spend a lot of time with that settlers chance at, like, 0-1%.

Which is why I tend to hate random new world. In our saturday goon MP game, 2/4 of the new world is tropical, 1/4 is arctic, leaving 1/4 that colonizes at a reasonable speed.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Steam name: Vequeth

1. Brandenburg
2. Wessex
3. Kiev

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Rumda posted:

The problem I see with it is with out permanent allies a smaller power will get crushed and removed from the game by larger ones that they thought were neutral towards them in a surprise attack with no time to arrange alliances.

Thats why you make friends.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Trujillo posted:

(Mecklenburg isn't a vassal of Brandenburg anymore)

Wat.. Kind of a big deal.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

goodness posted:

How is Portugal in EG?

They dont start off with the islands that they do in Vanilla, those can be colonized by anyone with range.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

I would absolutely love if electing a new ruler gave republican tradition, its just too hard to come by.

At least power projection gives a nice tradition boost.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Sheep posted:

Perhaps if they doubled it. As it stands 0.1/year if under 50 projection and 0.2/year if over is pretty insignificant when low MTTH random events are constantly tanking you for 5-10 tradition. I'm finding it very hard to get above 70 tradition unless I take the options that hit my stability or cost me 150 monarch points, and keeping leaders is out of the question.

On the upside tradition doesn't seem to matter much at all unless you go below 50 since stability isn't much of an issue with republics so it's not a big deal, but it does suck that you can never have a 'monarch' with more than a combination of 4/1/1 unless that's a road you want to go down. I do like the fact that I have to consider more things from a situational standpoint and there isn't such a 'this is what you always do' type situation anymore.

Edit: in other words I don't mind the new tradition system in its current form, more like it's just something new to adjust to and ho boy do we hate change to core mechanics!

Im getting 0.5/year at 100 projection.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Allyn posted:

I'm pretty sure Irish minors don't get the RT bonus anymore. I'm not even sure the Italian ones do, actually...

Ireland does, at least in Vanilla.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone else tried the 500 heavy ships achievement? Im sitting with 510 but no achi :(

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Being 8 mil techs behind any neighbor at any time is requiring 10:1 odds to kill any army of theirs. Id like to see someone defend that in a war, while dealing with super new rebels in the westernizing period.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
I thought your progress was usually capped by AE decay, rather than truce timers anyway.

Ive seen back to back war decs in multiplayer the moment truce is up and it isnt pretty. The defender usually leaves by the third time.

The changes like increased AE for vassalising, and westernizing not getting western units anymore, sucked a lot more.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
For anyone interested in Multiplayer, the goon Saturday game ended recently and the new one starts this week. Its full up but we tend to get no shows/drop outs now and then.

Have made an imgur gallery of player mapmode screenshots I could find of the last game: http://imgur.com/a/JpEmZ

Its in chronological order, game lasted till 1700ish.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Looks like Art of war will be 20$

Brief list of things talked about (on stream) stolen from another thread:

quote:

Highlights:
No PU's and altered royal marriages for Muslims
Can view anyone elses' battles now as they progress
Battle Screen is not very big or intrusive so that's good
Broken statues and churches on map are centers of reformation
Centers of reformation convert nearby provinces over time. You can view the provinces' conversion progress by icons on the map
Reformation seems more historical and regional, less sporadic
Curia buttons: Get money, legitimacy, prestige, stability, reduce inflation, missionaries, manpower, mercantilism in exchange for papal influence
Abandoning idea groups gives only 10% refund of cost.
New Mapmodes:
Local Autonomy (shows only yours)
Fort Level (show's everyone's')
Simple Terrain Mapmode (1 color-->1 terrain type)
Revoltrisk mapmode changed to unrest mapmode
Can increase and decrease local autonomy from production interface--just click on provinces like building troops
Generals with higher maneuver than the opposing general do not get river crossing penalties
Each province lists all river crossings
Optimizations
Can compress save games
General optimization
Multiplayer: Can kick players
Old saves should work
Launcher tells you if a mod supports the correct version
MAP IMPROVEMENTS
added ~150 new nations
Amazonian nations--New South American techgroup
Amazonian tribes are migratory if you own conquest of paradise
Many have unique ideas
Lithuania has more provinces, releasable Kiev, Chernigov, Galicia which can take the decision to form Ukraine/Ruthenia
North America has more provinces, more spread-out tribes, more tags
Spanish Siberia acknowledged, possible new "Iberian Siberia" achievement for having a line of provinces from Iberia to Caucasian Iberia, to Kamchatka
AINU MAYBE ADDED TO HOKKAIDO
Dev Diary about 1618 bookmark and napoleonic stuff
Converter updates
National ideas have been updated including a SRBJA STRONK serbia buff
Costs $20
LOTS OF NEW MUSIC
New trailer
Stream is over now.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
The only reason you'll ever need to vassal-feed instead of taking it yourself is you avoid the (15?) year nationalism revolt risk.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Really happy to see that, after it killed my Ireland achivement attempt.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Multiplayer post!

As our usual Saturday game finished last week, we will start a new Art of War game in Vanilla. It will have a lot less rules than usual for a more relaxed affair. Expect it to last 4-5 weeks while the mod is sorted out for the next EG game.

We are letting people pick anywhere they want this time. If you want to join its at 8pm BST / 4pm EDT Saturdays and will go on for 4 hours. You can join the group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EUGoons) and ill send out a notification 30 mins before the lobby goes up.

Remember the host (probably me) is the only one who needs the DLC to play it, and ill have Art of War.

Edit: Oh right the group is invite only, post your steam nick in the private thread and ill send you an invite http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577057&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Drone posted:

Thoughts on Art of War so far:

1.) Those new battle report screens are kickin' rad.
2.) I started a game as Majahapit with the intention of forming Malaya. The addition of those new SEA nations really make it much more interesting (and goddamn Mexico/South America look fun as hell to play as now).

Its kind of annoying that all the colonizable in that region is now tropical :(

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Teddles posted:

Has the AI worked out that transports are a thing with this new patch?

Have paradox finally made England a good ally?!

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
In the process of updating the OP for the new DLC with LE. The Hundred Years War and Byzantium guides seem a bit dated, would anyone like to have a go at re-writing current strategies for those starts?

Or any other nation that has a really tough start for that matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Looking for a couple of more players for Goon Multiplayer this weekend!

Player Map

Not included in the above but still a player: Kiev and Ireland.

Places where I would recommend a new player: Mamlukes, One of the Persia Minors, Eastern Europe (but you should check the save for a good idea beforehand)

Here is the save so you can have a look around: https://www.mediafire.com/?u7wyqro7uk0pv94

You will need the mod we use: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196097309

If you need an invite to the group to play, just post in the private thread with your ID and I will throw you an invite: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577057&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=80

• Locked thread