Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Last Emperor posted:

Updated the thread with some of the new guides/country strategies so thanks for all of those.

What's the current strategy for surviving the Byzantine start?

I'd assume that most of the stuff from 1.3 still works? (like deccing & vassaling Albania right off the bat etc.

Flee to America through Ireland, proclaim a reconquista once you have the entire continent. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

AI only mission probably? Normal WS cost for Scotland is 112% I think, but I know from my Novgorod games that the AI seems to get screwy missions; while Muscovy had the 'Subjugate Novgorod' mission that would give the human player claims on all of Novgorod, the AI would always declare war on me as 'Reconquest of Novgorod' implying they had a core on my capital, which they did not.

The subjugate Scotland CB for the player doesn't reduce the cost IIRC, so it must be AI only. Like someone said earlier, as England you can just declare war on Scotland for Ayrshire which brings it down enough to do in the second war.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The Subjugate Scotland CB is basically a normal Subjugation CB, so it does decrease the vassalization cost. But yeah, not the province costs, hence why I suspect it's an AI mission only type of thing.

Huh, gonna try it again, I'm sure that mission required two wars in my last WC attempt.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So I have an issue. I'm playing as England and I've nabbed France and Castille through personal unions. I've currently vassalized multiple HRE members and was thinking of starting to annex them. Will the emperor demand return of HRE provinces even if I annex the nations entirely? I don't want to get into a war with them yet because I'm too busy rampaging through Asia, and I'm thinking of starting a campaign in North Africa and the middle east, and bringing down the Ottomans will be hard, since them and their allies have an ungodly amount of manpower.

No, if you diploannex someone you will get a core automatically, so the Emperor can't do his 'return my provinces or heads on pikes fire and brimstone yada yada yada' event.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly though, if you are England with France and Spain in PU, you might as well do one campaign against the Emperor just to dissolve the HRE...unless you want to do a WC anyway.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Vodos posted:

Why would you do that, just become Emperor and get a diplomat, free leader, cheaper cores, bigger adviser pool, more taxes and eventually free vassals!

Because technically at that point you are France and it's kinda your job to gently caress the HRE. :colbert:

Although I must admit my GB/Low Countries/France/Iberian Union with all of the New World, controlling all of the Far East trade had enough bonuses that I could just say gently caress it to the Empire.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

So, I fancy playing an African or Arabian nation for once, anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking of Kongo for the achievement, but also thinking I might give Najd a go.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Soviet_Russia posted:

Morocco is probably the strongest African nation in vanilla, all the Sub-Saharan tech group nations suffer from an extreme case of "wait ~100 years for Euros to show up. Dont get Annexed for 5-20 years as you westernize. Then you can start playing the game."

Edit: though if you dont care about achievements so much, Europa Gooniversalis really opens up the non-European locations with new/better ideas and smaller tech disparity.

Usually I don't care about achievements, but I've started to collect them for this game because some of them are literally insane to get.

I was thinking about trying for Jihad, but from working it out, I would basically need all of Africa, Asia and Oceania as Sunni and I don't see a way to realistically do that without HRE exploiting.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Soviet_Russia posted:

How would you even get Najd into the HRE?

I can think of a few ways, but it would require me to go Christian, which invalidates the achievement.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Poil posted:

If you can survive it you can grab as many provinces as possible and leave them uncored until your enemy is small enough to vassalize and sell them back. Or just fully annex them and release them again.

My favorite strategy now is to get two rather large blobs, feed one blob to the other blob, then turn your cloak and feed the big blob back to the small blob, then vassalize the newly small blob and give them everything on the new large blob.

It took about 100 years, but this is how I took over North Africa as Castille for 0 admin points spent on coring.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, sorry if this is a common question, but in my CotNW game as the Zapotec, am I really unable to get native ideas (that the North American natives get, like in my MP Pawnee game)? Since yeah, if that's the case, I'm basically stuck being unable to colonise any of my surrounding provinces until I eventually trudge my way up to admin tech 4, aren't I? :( So is there a way around this, so I can actually expand somewhat, or should I just start a new game as a different native American civ?

Thanks

When they said native americans, they means native north americans.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Traxis posted:

Enjoy the reduced AE while you can because it is going back up next patch.

Time to do that Ottoman world conquest then.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Vodos posted:

How the gently caress do you get Lancasters with those stats? I celebrate when mine have average stats higher than 2 early on. I really thought they were hardcoded to be poo poo but apparently I have just bad luck.

After the 0/0/0 I got a 0/0/1 heir. :downs:

Luckily, he died mysteriously in a boating accident on the way to the Azores and his younger brother took over aged 16!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I'm new to the post DLC EU4. Is Lithuania supposed to be able to make a protectorate out of Crimea? I thought that was for the new world colonies?!

Protectorates are basically the new vassal system for those nations that are far below you on tech, it's not just the new world.

e.g. For westernised nations, any nation below the 140% Muslim tech group can be a protectorate.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I'm about 10 years behind schedule, at this point I had planned to have all of Iberia but that's five years away still. I do have 2 elector vassals though and I'm plotting to remove a third. Muscovy is almost totally gone and I am the only colonial power (and it will probably stay that way). Current objective is to conquer enough of the low countries to move my capitol into a HRE province and to secure my trade node and stop any Dutch revolt events (if you have your cap in the Dutch Region, you will not get the Dutch revolt events). Oh and I have all 7 cardinals now, and all 5 future cardinals, while still having the statute in restraint of appeals, church taxes and monestary dissolution. Basically I am the Pope.

I also started my traditional 'make the berbers massive and cut them down again for my vassal' trick about 20 years ago, I should have all of North Africa in 100 years.

Not pictured: British Mali, British Russia, explorers heading down to Mutapa for all that gold and Ivory and a partridge in a pear tree.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That's all leveraged off a 100YW win I imagine?

Yeah, I wanted to see how far I could get with that before trying Orthodox Ottomans for my real WC attempt.

My goal is basically all of Europe + Russia + Africa, though if I get all of Europe, making the rest protectorates probably won't be overly hard.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You can still do this!? I thought PDS fixed the March Into the Sea exploit?

Nope, I was just using a 'take care of him' euphemism, he died naturally.

Vequeth posted:

Whats the theory behind picking England for WC?

Ive been meaning to try but in Ironman games I feel I dont expand fast enough.

Leveraging the complete control of Western Europe and colonialism in general to afford massive armies to crush all the 500% overextension penalties. You can still get 60% or so off cores for when you eventually become the HRE as well.

Also, you are in a much better position to smother colonizers and Russia than the Ottomans IMO, at least I found it easier anyway.

Mainly, I am playing England to get myself used to being incredibly aggressive, which I am not normally, before trying the Ottomans.

Zurai posted:

There are two reasons to convert to Orthodoxy. One is that high Patriarchal Authority removes the worst penalties from off-culture provinces which you'll have tons of in a world conquest. The second is that, as a Christian, you can enter the Holy Roman Empire and become Holy Roman Emperor.

If I could do this playthrough again, I would try to find a way to use my Russian Orthodox provinces to convert England.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Sorry to be dumb but how does the Shogunate system work?

One Emperor with lots of vassal Daimyos. The Daimyos are free to declare war on each other to expand within the system.

Once a Daimyo reaches 10 provinces he can challenge the Emperor for rulership and vice-versa (they get a CB on each other).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

So basically a massive collection of couple province nations under a nominal banner of Rome? That could be interesting, given my realm has been beset by vassal in fighting.

How well does that system hold up in game wise? Like, doesn't it risk being eaten away at, province by province or does it generally hold itself together.

Eventually, the system will unite one way or another. I have never seen Japan NOT unite in eu4.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Things I have discovered today.

1. The east coast of Africa (Mutapa and Kilwa) have some insanely good provinces, including but not limited to FIVE gold provinces. :stare:

Combined with Sus, Toledo and the couple of gold mines you find in North-West Africa, I have a hilarious pure gold income of 50.

2. Controlling the Ivory trade is the best bonus ever.

3. Conquering Africa is surprisingly fun with advanced armies.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

DStecks posted:

Doesn't having a lot of gold production eventually bite you in the rear end via inflation? Or am I thinking of another Paradox game?

Not really no, as has been mentioned it was bad in EU3, but it's barely even a penalty in EU4.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

It scales based on percentage of your yearly income. So two gold mines would be an absurd amount of inflation if that's all you had for income, but by the time you get more than one gold province as a colonizer, you've got buckets of trade/tax coming in so it's not like a quarter of your budget or something.

Yeap, the aforementioned 10 or so gold mines provide me about 20% of my total wealth and give me about +0.09 inflation iirc?

PittTheElder posted:

Only in the ledger. It's unsurprisingly under Military->Armies.

I love the ledger, it's basically like cheating. Oh you mean Austria has no manpower and 8 regiments? Sure I want to invade Lubeck.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Abandoned my England game, it's given me a lot of decent ideas to use for my next proper WC attempt.

Now, to use the Ottomans or make a God-King Venetian Italy hmm...

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

I've run into this too and have never been able to figure it out. GB had like 150 ships patrolling, but I wasn't able to send any despite having a merchant there and being well within range.

I have had this bug as well, fixed it by breaking up that fleet, sending it to Cape Verde, then sending it back in another fleet, then I could collect there again.

Don't know which part of that actually fixed it, but it did.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Evacuating your starting armies and boat-bombing smaller French siege stacks works just as well as it's always done. You may need a bit of luck, but there's no need for gamey alliance shenanigans.

Yeah, the AI is goddamn terrible at responding to boat bombing still.

Just alternate between hitting Normandy and Aquitane, the French will keep small stacks on all 4 of your provinces, but move their large stack between the two, often too late to come back up while you boat bomb the other region.

Once you get them down to like 0 manpower, it's pretty easy to raise a mercenary force and wipe out their armies and siege them before 1450. The alliance stuff just makes it easier, you spend less money and less manpower in achieving the same goal.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I love you Paradox. :unsmith:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Is there anything out there like a 'beginners guide to modding Paradox games'?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

What in particular are you aiming to do? Add in another country as a revolter? Add in another country and plop it into the map? Change the map? Etc.? There's a lot of ground to cover?

Modify the map in particular, I was also thinking about adding in a few more nations to flesh out Africa etc.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Is it possible to win it if France is controlled by a reasonably good human player?

England has basically no chance whatsoever to win if France is controlled by a human, unless they somehow manage to arrange a dogpile.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Do the Dutch revolts stop happening at some point? Playing as Prussia, I conquered a good chunk of the Netherlands and I'm getting sick of Dutch rebel whack-a-mole.

Also, is it true that moving my capital to a Dutch province will stop the revolts? I feel like I read that somewhere.

If I remember correctly, these are the conditions that stop the revolts.

- You culture shift to Dutch or Flemish.
- You move your capital province to the Dutch Region (good choice actually, considering Antwerpen).
- The game year hits 1650.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Can you stop the Dutch revolts in a province by culture shifting it so it's not longer Dutch?

I don't believe so, If I remember right the events are coded to the Dutch Region rather than by culture.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Alikchi posted:

Progress on Dark Continent:

I'm now running into the trickier gameplay/balance issues. Should only the Christian remnant states be Natives with the ability to migrate, or should the Muslim colonizers (Ruma in Italy, Magyaristan in Hunagry, etc) be natives too? What about tech groups - should I attempt to balance them and their units, or would it be easier just to create a "Standard" tech group with no flavor for everyone? Input appreciated, I'm not sure what would be most interesting & fun.

I love how even in the apocalyptic end of the world scenario, Scotland still survives. :allears:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

1.5 is out.

lovely AE mechanics are back in. :smith:

Took Ghent and Flanders from Burgundy and instantly got a coalition against me consisting of most of the German nations up to Brandenburg.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Schwarbage posted:

Is it worse than in the beta patches, or just 1.4?

2 provinces outside the HRE taken, no previous AE with anyone in Europe, total base tax of these provinces 16. 10 Taken from fabricating a claim on Artois. Released Flanders beforehand to clear out the initial bullshit AE.

People who went into the coalition after that.

Burgundy (understandable as I took the provinces off them)
Lorraine
Austria
Savoy
Provence
Switzerland
Friesland
Trier

This is far, far worse than it even was in 1.3 and I quit the game in 1.3 out of frustration with it.

Edit: Pic of the coalition after taking another two provinces (Barrois and Dauphine), getting caught once in the process of claim fabrication. For a total of 5 provinces taken in about 15 years.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 20, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

At least it gives me an excuse for endless, total war with the rest of Europe I guess.

Should be amusing.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Releasing vassals doesn't reduce AE any more, it's not in the patch notes so it may be a bug but it could be an intentional change.

That explains it I guess, that AE is from taking about 8 provinces in a decade or so then, which is far more understandable.

dublish posted:

If you were trying to RP as Louis XIV, I think you succeeded.

Well, if I am the Sun King, I guess I should start expanding more in Africa and Asia, seeing as they don't share European AE!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno, given that you're a mega Great Britain that has conquered France, apparently some of Aragon(?) and is now aggressively expanding on the border of the HRE, I think your neighbors are probably right to be worried. :ohdear:

They don't have reason to worry though, all I want to do is protect those loveable scamps from Austria! Ok, so maybe I want to annex the Low Countries and possibly Italy as well, but that's just a tiny chunk right?

Also, I prefer the term 'Emperor of Western Europe, Africa and the Americas, King of England, Scotland, France, Aragon, Castille, Leon, Portugal, High King of Ireland, Lord of the Isles, High Chief of North Africa and Mansu Musa of Mali DOTF. :colbert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Unfortunately I have a bug in my head that prevents me from understanding the trade system, no matter how many guides I read. So I dont really know what those "50% trade power" are adding to me.

The thing I do know is that my trade income doest not seems to be much affected by all those protectorates I own: I never seem it raise much after getting one.

You have the trade power, but you probably aren't funneling it out of the node with a merchant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I like that it's back really. Previously AE could basically just be ignored entirely (unless you were huge, at which point it AE was huge but the effects only annoying), now it's something you should be thinking about. Move slowly, avoid annexing large swathes of territory in one go.

Honestly, I just want a middle ground when it comes to AE, they made it too much in 1.3, too little in 1.4 and too much again in 1.5.

Surely, if they can't balance the mechanic, they should be removing or rethinking options to limit player expansion?

• Locked thread