Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Last Emperor posted:

DLC
Paradox is attempting to emulate the same successful dlc strategy that it used in Crusader Kings 2, that is to say, to continue releasing small and cheaper unit & music packs as well as also offering larger 'expansion' type content. Alongside this they will continue to things into patches that are free and, like before, if you play multiplayer only the host needs to have access to the dlc for you to be able to play with it.
On the (inevitable) question of "which DLC should I buy":
  • Conquest of Paradise - buy if you want a randomized New World or to play as Natives or Colonies (ie Cuba or Thirteen Colonies, not Castile)
  • Flavor Packs (American Dream, Purple Phoenix, and Star and Crescent) - worth a couple bucks if you want to play as USA/Byzantium/Muslims and have a few special events.
  • UI Packs (National Monuments, Unit Packs) - they look nice, but they don't really impact anything. Grab them on a 50% off sale (should be one a few times a year).
  • Music Packs - It's only a few songs (about 10 minutes) of music. If you like the EU4 score, grab them, otherwise don't.

Last Emperor posted:

As I mentioned in the other thread if people have anything they want me to include let me know. I'd love to see some more useful guides/strategies to put in as well as cool mods, or questions/answers for the FAQ. Any neat screenshots would also certainly be welcome, I've still got a few I'd like to post up too.

My most recent games have been Gelre->Netherlands, Great Britain, and Portugal, so this is all from that perspective. Feel free to chop this up/remix it/generalize it in whatever OP or guide.

The "beat up on Mali/Aztecs for 5000g" strategy is dead, but 1.4 has sort of brought part of it back. You can now beat up on American Native OPMs for 400g-1000g. If you're England/Spain/Castile and you're first to colonize over there, you can grab a Conquistador and a 6-7 stack and just chain declare on them. Then you wait your 5 year truce and re-declare and annex them (or let your colony do it). If you're big enough, the inflation hit won't be bad because it's a function of your tax base (and a few thousand gold is worth 75 Admin Points to reduce the inflation). Also on colonizers and gold, the gold provinces in North and West Africa are Sus (Morocco), Bambuk and Bure (both Mali). They're Sunni and so hard to convert, and since Bambuk/Bure are high tax base while Sus has Berber Traditions, they can be kind of expensive to core/convert, but once you do they're worth 40g/year (more with Workshop) and are un-impacted by "distant overseas" penalties. Early game this can be painful, but if you find yourself with admin points mid-game it might be worthwhile, especially if you need land in those trade nodes anyhow. Mexican gold is worth a lot less now because it goes to your colony instead of to you.

If you're playing a trading/colonizing power, dominating your home trade node is crucial. As Spain, it doesn't do a lot of good to be dragging in trade from all over the world only to share 40% of it with Portugal. Similarly, as England if you bring trade through the North Sea and into London you need to (a) lockdown London from Netherlands spamming 900 light ships and (b) dominate the North Sea node so Norway and Hansa's fleet don't steal half your trade. You do this buy building a crapload of trade-power buildings in these nodes and grabbing the Trade Centers (+5 TP +1 navy) and Estuaries (+5 TP). As Spain/Portugal you may want to consider sucking it up and grabbing Tangiers early for this (before the other gets it) and Oran as well.

The biggest Trade Power drain is actually a cluster of OPMs. Every OPM gets 5 TP from their capital and has a merchant, so while a 3PM might have 8 TP, three OPMs will have 5-6 each in their capital node. In North America, this means that wiping up the tiny tribes is pretty clutch in terms of moving trade, and for Netherlands it means you want to cut down on the OPM/TPMs in the Antwerpen node. Also with the new Trade Nodes, Western Europe node is super-clutch, since you can park a ton of light ships there and siphon off everyone else's incoming trade. As England, you can avoid this by bringing trade along West Africa -> Caribbean -> Chesapeake -> St Lawrence -> North Sea, and Spain/Portugal can go through Timbuktu(?) to avoid Western Europe.

Now that you don't need an Idea to use ADM to cut inflation, it's a lot less scary to take inflation. I know a lot of EU players can be adverse to inflation spirals but it seems pretty manageable now.

A common diplomatic issue is "Country A is allied to myself and Country B, how can I attack Country B without Country A intervening and costing me my alliance?" Normally a country in that situation will aid the allied defender instead of the allied attacker. The trick is to get Country A (but not Country B) in a war with you first - attack some random minor power with any CB and call Country A in on your side. Wait a month and then attack Country B. So long as you don't totally screw it up (by attacking a minor who calls in France or something) you can now beat on Country B and win that war and then White Peace on Country A afterwards.

"Vassal feeding" is a key mechanic that's somewhat counter-intuitive. Basically if you conquer land you have to do the coring and maybe religious conversions and between that and overextension it can be very expensive to expand. However, if you sell the provinces to a vassal, they can do the hard work and when you diplo-annex them you get the cores for free (and maybe the religious conversions if you're lucky). Paradox has cut down on this a bit by making AIs a bit stricter in terms of what land you can sell them - vassal Brittany isn't going to buy North African provinces off you. The mechanics are complex, but if the vassal's king is militaristic or they have low over-extension or they have a core/claim on the land or it's adjacent land of the same religion they're more likely to accept. Note that you can do this to some degree with colonies automatically - if you grab land in the Caribbean off of a rival, that land goes to your subject colony down there. So now coring and converting Jamaica is your subject's problem, not yours (and they have their own A/D/M pool and missionary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Another quick thing I thought of: Rivaling matters. If you pick someone as your rival, you can embargo them without trade efficiency penalty, and you get reduced DIP costs in peace deals. You also get a solid relations bonus (grows +1/month, caps at +20) with anyone else who set that country as a rival. Rivals only cost 10 DIP to change, so remember to change them frequently. If you're taking two territories off someone, it's worth it to rival them because even if you have to swap rivals back afterwards, you still come out like 14 DIP ahead.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Your colonial nations won't build huge light ship fleets most of the time so you can easily swamp them with a fleet if you want to directly collect from St. Lawrence or funnel everything to North Sea.

Also you get half of your subjects' trade power.

I've noticed occaisonally having issue getting light ships to patrol in nodes where I don't have a merchant or provinces (but do have subjects), is this WAD?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So if I can't vassalize or make colonial nations in Africa or Asia, what's the easiest way of expanding? Is there a better way than "whelp, there goes all my ADM points and OE means I have poo poo for trading income for the next 5 years"? Or am I just expected to protectorate everything and not actually own any land?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

quote:

AI: Will now start the game with their rivals picked, to make for more consistent diplomacy.
AI: Now a bit less predictable about who they choose as rivals.

That should complicate the 100-Years-War strat a bit.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
As others have said, cash early game is supposed to be low. The whole point of money is that it's a limiting resource - you can't do everything so you've got to pick and choose. In the mid-game when you're making cash by the boatload you can be more profligate.

But in terms of real advice, I'd say you should
  • Make sure you own the poo poo out of the Sevilla trade node - it's no use steering trade in if Portugal's gonna grab half just by virtue of having a bunch of Trade Power there. A third of Spain is in Genoa or Bordeaux nodes, so don't build trade buildings there, focus them in the Sevilla node part.
  • Rival and Embargo Portugal. Don't embargo without rivaling because it hurts your trade efficiency, but if you rival and embargo you dramatically cut their Trade Power in nodes you are both in (which is probably a lot of them).
  • Once you have big +s to Missionary Strength (like Admin10 or so), go grab the African gold provinces. Ifni is Berber (costing double ADM to core) but has only 1 base tax. Bambuk and Bure are in Mali but are higher base tax. It's expensive to convert and core them, but they're each 40g/year forever (50g with Workshop).
  • Dominate the Western Europe trade node, or pull as much as you can through Timbuktu or whatever to avoid it. Again, no sense in steering Trade across the oceans if you can't capitalize on it in Sevilla.

Arcturas posted:

I've started colonizing the new world and I've taken over the Aztecs & Inca, spawning vassal colonial governments, and have one of those going in Brazil too. I'm trying to fill in the Caribbean to stop Portugal from getting a toe-hold, but they've got 5-10 spots and I don't think I can totally shut them out.

Open up the ledger. Sort countries by gold. There will be some crappy native tribes with 500-1500g. Go dunk them. Rinse and repeat - they probably have more gold than Incas did because they can't spend it on anything.

Arcturas posted:

Merchant-wise, I've only got the two that I start with and I can't figure out how to get more. I keep one in Seville to gather cash, and the other is currently steering trade from the Caribbean, but steering trade from Bordeaux seemed equally useless. I have 11 light ships working in Seville, and 5-6 working in the Caribbean.

You get more Merchants through Ideas (National Ideas for some nations, Trade Ideas, Expansion Ideas), the East India Company decision, and government form.

Arcturas posted:

Finally, how the hell do you form Spain? I've been in a Royal Marriage (formed by offer, not by event) with Aragon since about two years into the game, but we've sat side-by-side for fifty-plus years and nothing's happened. I can't get them into a PU, and they keep having heirs, so I can't force my way in. I randomly lucked into a PU with Burgundy a few years back (I have RMs with Aragon, Portugal, and Burgundy), and apparently I have to wait 50 years to do something with that.

There are two decisions to form Spain which you can see in your decisions list. Basically you have to either conquer and core major Aragon provinces, or you need to vassalize or PU Aragon. There's an event called the "Iberian Wedding" which fires if between 1450 and 1500 Castile and Aragon have heirs of different gender and puts Castile in a PU under you. This event used to be basically guaranteed to fire when it was eligible until 1550, but now that they nerfed it it's no longer a safe bet.

Sheriff posted:

Quick question here, I'm itching to play a really military-heavy game, anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of starting Brandenburg, expanding eastward and forming Prussia, then coming back and conquering the HRE by force. Are there any other interesting nations with good military ideas and a lot of potential conquering to do? Preferably in the Western tech group, I've had to westernize my last few games and am sorta sick of it.

PittTheElder suggested a lot of the good ones, but also consider France - it has +20% Manpower, +20% Morale, and +10% Discipline. However this means playing as the Big Blue Blob - you'll spend a considerable amount of your time beating on helpless countries instead of fighting even matches.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So in the new beta patch it's basically impossible for anyone (including the player) to have more than two "Great Power" allies. I could not get Bohemia, Austria and Muscovy allied with me despite otherwise great relations because once I allied two, the third would say "-100 Too many Great Power allies for Bohemia".

That dick-punches a lot of the early game strats that are some variant of "get a poo poo-load of powerful allies and…" like the Hundred-Years-War, but also screws up things like being Brandenburg and having good anti-Commonwealth defenses.

One thought on HRE expansion and vassalization (as Brandenburg for me, but probably applicable to Bavaria/Austria/Bohemia) is that if you're planning to war-vassalize, it may be worth waiting a decade or two for the various OPMs to become TPMs - you only have so many diplo points and you can only annex once a decade.

How does vassal-feeding work in the HRE? If I feed a vassal something they don't have a core in, are they going to give it up when the Emperor demands it?

PittTheElder posted:

That works, if you think you can rely on them. But I find it's tough to diploannex people with just your starting territory, so I just prefer to dump into the first two ideas in defensive, then focus on mil tech. Although now that I look at it, Brandenburg's ruler and heir aren't great in military, so I probably only did that because my heir got replaced.

Your ruler is pretty young, so having your heir lead from (way far in) the front can get you a new heir, especially if you go Diplomatic Ideas early and have like 6 RMs. In terms of diplo-vassalization you're right - I could only DV most of the OPMs once I had Brandenburg+TO+Pommerania integrated.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Soviet_Russia posted:

England always starts with an awful leader and an even worse heir. Do your best to get them killed I suppose.

Yes, because deliberately triggering the War of the Roses and probably a follow-on Peasants' War is a great way to get ahead of Castile… :)

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vodos posted:

Annexing gives you cores, the emperor only demands "Unlawful Territory". However you will get a stacking opinion penalty with every HRE member for each HRE vassal you annex. This penalty also applies to your own HRE vassals, on top of the standard penalty for diplo-annexing. If you don't annex them all in one go it might take a while to get the remaining ones' opinion high enough for annexation.

In my experience that penalty usually goes down within a decade for the first annexation, and you can Improve Relations on vassals up to +200. Toss in +50 for vassal and another +50 for RM and +25 for same religion with some "defended my territory" on the side and you should be in good shape, especially if you have the diplo-boosts from Diplomatic or Religious Ideas.

Vodos posted:

Why would you do that, just become Emperor and get a diplomat, free leader, cheaper cores, bigger adviser pool, more taxes and eventually free vassals!

As I see it, the only reason not to be Emperor is if you don't want to have defend OPMs from Denmark/France/etc. If you're England/Spain/France that's a non-issue. Though maybe having to have 2 PUs plus several electors vassalized would seriously hamper your Diplomatic Relations. But then it's not like you need those DR for alliances or anything :getin:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sockerbagarn posted:

There's a reason Bohemia and Poland starts hating you, it's because you take stuff that they want or that they decide they want your provinces. You can usually avoid this by not allying nations that border you. Since you have Bohemia as a buffer between you and Austria you won't have conflicting interests for quite some time. It also helps that Austria tends to rival Bohemia so you can rival them as well for a diplomatic boost.

As Brandenburg, when Bohemia and I went Protestant I got some scary event that made Catholic Austria get -400 relations with me. And that was pretty early in the game (like Tech 8) so it's not that long that they can ally with you it seems.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dibujante posted:

You always take 1% attrition when sieging, regardless of army size or supply limit.

Sieges are governed entirely by how high the 1-14 RNG rolls. Factors that improve this include, and are limited to:
  • Number of artillery in your army.
  • Leader siege modifier
  • Whether or not the walls are down (this can randomly happen during a siege).
  • Whether or not the province has unfettered access to the sea.
  • The passage of time.
  • The size of the fort.

Nothing else controls how likely your 1-14 RNG is to produce a siege-winning result. Infantry and cavalry do not contribute to these dice rolls. 100,000 infantry siege as fast as 2,000 infantry.

The tick speed controls how frequently the 1-14 RNG is rolled. That is mostly governed by prestige, tactics, and national ideas.

Something to add to this: Sieges don't advance linearly. You have to roll a 20 on d14+modifiers to win the siege, but a score of 5+ gets you a +1, +2, or +3 bonus to all future rolls (which stack up to +12). It's building up those bonuses which causes the displayed odds to go up, and those bonuses accumulate faster as your modifier goes up. The wiki article is actually pretty decent on this.

As a result, you spend a while sieging at -56% or -42% odds because you're getting a bunch of rolls that don't add bonuses, but once you hit 0% odds, you're more or less assured of hitting a bonus each roll (until you cap out at +12) so the siege goes a lot faster.

Cynic Jester posted:

As a consequence of this system, if you have max artillery and a high siege leader, you can topple forts hilariously fast. As adding 7+ to the roll is an absurd modifier.

Yeah, every +modifier not only gets you better odds of winning, it gives you better odds of racking up those status bonuses. A +7 modifier would give you a guaranteed +1 or +2 bonus each round, letting you skip the rounds where you don't improve your status.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 5, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So I restarted my Brandenburg game with the strat that PittTheElder posted in the thread, and it went amazingly. Something I noticed about that strat in the beta is that if you hit TO and grab enough stuff (I got Neumark, Ostpruessen and Warmia) they might enter into a Coalition against you, and because it's a smaller nation right next to that you didn't ally, Pomerania does the same. If you then hit Pomerania, you can pull a battered TO right back into war with you. In my game Pomerania had taken Danzig and had a stronger ally who became War Leader, which disables the "no separate peace for coalition members" rule. So in that second war I vassalized TO separately, and then forced Pomerania to give TO back Danzig. 4 years into the game I had the whole of TO as a vassal, and 5 years after that I vassalized Pomerania. My original ruler is still alive (it's been about 40 years) and I have Pomerania & TO integrated, and I ripped the two Saxon provinces off of Bohemia (which is now a 2PM since I freed Silesia and Austria took a bite). So consider that a solid testimonial for that strat. Unfortunately Denmark and Lithuania took my future Livonian Order provinces and Riga in an independent wars and I'm kind of running out of allies - Austria and Poland broke with me and I can get no Emperor votes because Austria's got high IA and is kicking rear end. The Kalmar Union is still intact and while Poland hasn't gotten PU on Lithuania, they're inseparably allied. So that's some bad news.

The new alliance limitations are really restrictive - it's much harder now to transition alliance sets - ultimately I need to fight Austria and Poland and Denmark and switch to new allies (France? Muscovy? Castile? Hungary?) but that transition is complicated because I have to break the old alliances first and take a leap of faith instead of picking up my new allies and then dropping the old ones.

What's the general mid-game to PittTheElder's Brandenburg strat? I assume hit Tech 10, go Protestant, become Prussia, and then continue vassalizing and integrating my way into Germany? What's the best way to become Emperor? Just vassalize two electors (in addition to myself)? Should I do that before or after I convert? Or should I just pray two Electors go Protestant and vote for me? I'm pretty set on Ideas, I think - Diplomatic (6/7 so far), Offensive (1/7), then Innovative and a truck-load of MIL ideas? Is Religious worth it over Innovative for 3rd idea given that I'm a fairly large nation converting to Protestantism and that some of those provinces are pretty high-taxbase (Danzig)?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
My Kalmar Union Danish ally is kicking the crap out of Muscovy… :-(

PittTheElder posted:

You've pretty much got it. I skip becoming Emperor though, because it seems so out of place in a Prussia game; my preferred goal tends to be to Dismantle the Empire from within. If you do want to become Emperor, Saxony and Bohemia should both go Protestant, you'll have to hope you get lucky with more. If you don't you can also just force convert electors if you can get into winnable wars with them. For Ideas I went Diplo-Defense-Inno-Offense-Quality. That's to completely maximize your military might.

Yeah, except I kind of need to eat Saxony to make Germany I think, and now that Bohemia is a 2PM it's kind of tasty… Force-converting it is. Also eating Bohemia and Silesia is gonna give me a long border with Austria - that can't possibly go bad...

PittTheElder posted:

Religious doesn't really fit anywhere, and none of the conversions are all that difficult, so I skip it. Even Danzig isn't all that bad, just get to Admin 10 and take all the +Missionary Strength decisions and you'll be golden.

This is more of a general Reformation question, but is there any merit to holding off on the "+MS, -tolerance" decisions until you have a few easy provinces converted? Without those decisions heresies don't seem to hurt that much, but with -3 tolerance is when the pain kicks in it seems. Or does the "Religious Unity" penalty to stability and the risk of Religious Turmoil make that a non-starter?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

You basically can't. If there's still unsettled coastal territory in Louisiana, and you don't have a colonial subject there, you might be able to colonize it and fabricate claims. But if not, you just have sit and hope that your colony attacks theirs, or vice-versa. You might be able to get away with Enforcing Peace on them while they're at war, but I really doubt it.

I usually just plop a settler down next to any Spanish colony in Africa/Asia or that they're still settling in America, declare on Spain, and then dunk their colonial nation before proceeding to step on them. That's probably less efficient diplo-point wise, but it works. Also I'm pretty sure if you Enforce Peace on them it calls Spain into the war. I got pulled into a colonial war with France randomly out of the blue because our Louisianas or Mexicos were fighting and mine beat the crap out of his.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Oh, sounds interesting. By forming Russia you mean an alliance with countries that geographically take the territory of ex-USSR? My first thought was just to slowly conquer everyone so that Livonian Order takes the whole map, but the more I read in this thread, the more complicated such idea looks like.

No, they mean actually turning into Russia. A number of countries have a decision where if they own and have cores in Provinces X, Y, and Z, they can change from their current country into another country. So like England can become Great Britain if it has owns and cores like most of Scotland or anyone in the Low Countries can become The Netherlands if they get take over enough of that area. In most cases (Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Spain that I know of) you get some advantages like better national decisions or automatically accepting all cultures in your culture-group as well as getting cores in any part of that country you don't own (huge for Germany/Italy, kinda irrelevant for Great Britain or Spain). You also literally change your name and flag to be that new country.

kalstrams posted:

Learning curves are nice, too many games nowadays try to hold my hand too much. I like historical strategies, but I have been only in Civilizations so far.

If you have questions as you play, ask in here. It's not always obvious unless you know what you're looking for WHY you just pissed Country X off or why Province Y isn't giving you squat for taxes or what line item Z in your budget means and why it's bankrupting you.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm playing as Gelre, trying to Form the Dutch Nation, and is the emperor having an Unlawful Territory CB against me something I should be concerned about?

Depends on his relation with you and how busy he is. If he's doing a big opening war with Burgundy or France or somebody for the first decade and then licking his wounds, you're fine. If it's Austria and Burgundy gets partitioned so he's basically right next door, you may have a problem.

I've done that start and I was a lot more worried about Burgundy warning me than Austria coming after me. That said, the penalties from Unlawful territory can be really annoying when you're small and it's basically half your territory.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zodium posted:

Not really. Burgundy doesn't lose their cores from the Inheritance, so you can immediately release them as a vassal and feed them their cores back from France/Austria, depending on who you play.

Yeah but that requires you actually get those cores off of France, instead of spending those early wars making them cancel vassals or release Toulouse or something.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Soviet_Russia posted:

It would take a dozen gold mines for the inflation penalties to even start costing much. When you compare the tiny inflation to the ~50 ducats a year before upgrades you get from a gold mine it's not a big deal.

It scales based on percentage of your yearly income. So two gold mines would be an absurd amount of inflation if that's all you had for income, but by the time you get more than one gold province as a colonizer, you've got buckets of trade/tax coming in so it's not like a quarter of your budget or something.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Soviet_Russia posted:

Where you colonize and what nodes you want to dominate depend mostly on where your Capital is, because you get a penalty to attempting to collect in any trade node that your Capital province is not a part of. If you are Morocco/Portugal/Spain then Seville is your best bet as a collection node, it usually becomes one of the richest nodes in the game without any help. Morocco will have to move their Capital north into Tangiers or some other base-tax rich province in the Seville node. Since Seville is such a well connected node you can get rich from colonizing anywhere, either pushing trade from Brazil and Caribbean back to Seville, or reaching all the way around Africa into the west indies to push that valuable trade back home.

Great Britain/Scotland/Norway/Hansa and other Baltic countries will want to expand into the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Chesapeake to bypass the 'Western Europe' Atlantic trade node entirely and just safely funnel trade into the North Sea/London/Lubeck nodes for collection.

In general a country will want to colonize and dominate as many trade nodes directly downstream of their home as possible. Especially in areas connected to the coveted 'Western Europe' node that quickly becomes the most crucial trade node for Europeans to dominate, as any trade power you create from colonial nations will carry on up stream and be added to the trade power you get from patrolling the area with light ships.

If you're in Sevilla you may want to try going through Timbuktu or whatever that node is that connects from West Africa area to Sevilla.

Also rival and embargo anyone with major trade power in one of your key nodes. If you're Great Britain then rivaling Norway (or conquering a few of their Scandinavian provinces) is pretty key - they can siphon half of the North Sea trade into Lubeck just by building a few trade improvements, since only Scotland, a few islands, and Iceland (you did conquer Iceland en route to colonizing Canada, right?) are in that node.

And keep an eye on that one trade node in West Africa that goes west across the Atlantic to the Caribbean. Every colonial nation's going to try to put a merchant there, and if nations with large trade power in a node don't have a merchant there, that power will split along all the outbound routes with merchants. So instead of pulling your trade up towards Europe, if you lack a merchant there your trade power will go with the Caribas/Cuba/West Indies merchant towards the Caribbean.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

Was there an up-to-date guide to winning the hundred years war as England or did I just confuse it with all the Byz guides? I can't find one.

They tend to break 100YW strats every patch because the strats usually highlight gamey mechanics. I'm pretty sure any existing strats are broken by the beta patches (and thus will be broken in 1.5).

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
What's the mid-game for Japan supposed to be? I did the whole daimyo=>Japan thing and I'm probably 15 years away from finishing annexing/eating all the vassals (it's 1520ish). I've colonized Taiwan and explored the Philippines. But looking at the trade map, my only incoming node is Mexico?? So am I supposed to be going South and kicking around those SE Asian island nations? My other thought was taking Korea - is there an opportune time for that or am I basically doomed to fight their ally Ming (with his 75k doomstack) for that? Just generally what's the play supposed to be here? I had a vision of re-enacting the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere about 4-5 centuries early, but the trade map seems to make that very suboptimal, no?

I've never played in Asia really (usually do the Europe => Americas/Africa route or just staying Europe). What counts as different continents in Asia?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. :colbert:

Don't worry about Ming's doomstacks, they have a big penalty to discipline basically always, you can take them. The AI is also just awful at prioritizing military tech.

Yowza, you weren't kidding on that front - I just wiped Korea and Ming with half their numbers.

When you release a vassal, is it no longer defaulting to your religion? I annexed Korea and then released it hoping it'd do the hard work of converting all those Confucian provinces for me, but the released Korea seems to have not changed its religion.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I feel that Paradox really should do something more with Japan in EUIV, as beign stuck in the Chinese tech group just doesn't feel right. I mean by the 1550s, only a few years after being introduced to arquebuses by Portuguese traders the Japanese were making their own guns, even improving on them by making guns with larger calibers, protecting the fire mechanism against rain and adding sights and such. By the late 16th century guns were in many way the decisive weapon in Japanese warfare used in much the same way as armies in Europe would operating alongside pikemen and firing by volley for maximum effectiveness. Also Japan had a huge number of experienced soldiers at the end of the civil war, also probably the most well organized and equipped armies in Asia, the armies they shipped over to invade Korea were huge and almost completely outmatched the Koreans and Chinese in every manner except artillery. They really should have a mechanism for speeding up their military technology so they can get simialr tech level to Europe and field similar armies, they should probably also have their own distinct tech group as Japanese armies were quite different from Chinese and Korean armies, but just giving them early and quick westernization wouldn't be right. Some event that significantly military tech research rate at the expense of perhaps increased revoltrisk and reduced relations with other Japanese clans, and possible spread of Christianity seems appropriate.

Japan's not exactly weak - I've been pushing everyone in SE Asia around these last 50 years post-unification. I took Korea and now I have half of Manchu with the other half vassalized, I've colonized a bunch around Philippines and I'm slowly working towards Malacca. It's 1566 and I'm getting kind of bored - but Castile just took the Cape, so I'm thinking I might plop a colony down there and Westernize ASAP (still have probably 1-2 hops to get to them). There's really nobody in the SE I'm scared of, maybe one or two nations that could make me deploy all my armies, but nothing that could win over me. And that's with me screwing up (took Exploration over Expansion) and taking it slow, and I'm a fairly mediocre player at best.

As Japan, should I be aiming to go Christian down the line, or stay Shinto? It seems like it'd be a giant PITA to go Christian. I'm considering picking up Religious ideas post-Westernization in order to deal with all the Confucian and Buddhist and Sunni provinces I want to eat (Malacca and China, mostly). Does Japan get all those +1 missionary strength decisions that the Western Christians get around Admin 10?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Are there any negative events or repercussions for vassalizing the Papal States? I want to try to grab them and feed some of Naples' provinces to them, but I don't want to get like a "-500 relations to everyone" for making the Pope my bitch.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Taear posted:

It's pretty silly that both France and England are my rivals as Burgundy at the start. In reality if Phillip came to Henry and asked for an alliance against France they'd be biting my hand off.

I think England starts with a core or two in Burgundy's territory, and I know Burgundy has a core in Calais. Ditto France/Burgundy having cores on each others stuff. Toss in border friction due to high-tax provinces and I can see why there's rivalry.

grancheater posted:

Subsidies have taken over same-rival bonuses as my go-to for vassalization, especially since increase caps at ~+11/year. On the other hand, it only goes up to +15.

How cash-efficient is that compared to gifting? It seems like you can get +25 opinion for 25-50g in gifts when you're talking about DV-sized nations.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm okay, I'll try IV this evening... I am going to get super massacred by inflation :

Not really - you can pay 75 admin points to reduce inflation by 2%. And the only things that add inflation are gold and loans, and gold inflation scales with how much of your economy gold is - if you're Spain then having a few gold provinces is fine because it's only 10% or so of your income as opposed to like all of your income if you play as that Japanese one-province nation with a gold mine or something.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gaukler posted:

Just finished a "Sweden inserting itself into the HRE to fight the Ottomans" game and I wanted to try playing as Poland, joining the HRE, and then culture shifting to Prussian and forming Prussia. Is that still doable in 1.5 or have they clamped down on some mechanics that allowed that to work? I heard the TO Subjugation mission is harder to get now, but I can't find the requirements on the wiki.

You can't get the subjugation mission unless the target is small enough that you could already subjugate them - I think it's like 30/40 basetax. So Scotland and Teutonic Order are both slightly too big at start of game. You need 2-3 wars to do it.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

unicr0n posted:

The HRE doesn't cease to exist if it's solely myself and my vassalised electors though right? The issue is that there's limited ways to gain IA in this setup?

Also Imperial Integrity requires like 25 nations in the HRE, and it's pretty clutch.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

If you don't westernize you'll eventually get trashed by armies with western units, even at equal tech levels. And it'll be harder to westernize late as a big empire - you need to fall 8 techs behind to start and revolt events will be spread around the map.
Protectorates aren't that bad, they don't use relation slots and you can easily vassal them when they themselves westernize(which they usually do if you have a border)

So then when is the right time to westernize? I'm feeling bit by the Muscovy/Russia bug that seems to be going around this thread.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How much of my time is this going to consume?

3 hours or 300 hours. There is no in-between. Either it's like snorting raw cocaine or it's like snorting ghost peppers.

Poil posted:

All of it. Seriously, think "just one more turn" syndrome except there aren't any turns.

One more province :getin:

Dibujante posted:

Despite it being somewhat gamey and probably harming verisimilitude, I'd like to see revolutions be partially a conscious choice (let's face it, many players game these already). Basically, the player should always be the protagonist. In V2, maybe you're Russia, and you've just lost WW1. Or something else, but there are now lots of communists with high militancy. So, there's this Bolshevik revolution, right? In standard V2, you just move your military to Kamchatka and wait. In more pro-active V2, the player picks which side they're fighting for - royalists or bolsheviks, and have to win.

What happens if you lose in that model? Could you permanently forestall risk of government change by siding with the rebels and moving all their armies to Kamchatka?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vodos posted:

Trying to finish my Minghal game before the DLC and I can't figure out why I can't use the "Unify Islam" decision. All the listed provinces are Sunni as far as I can tell.

Ed: Nevermind, I guess all_owned_province is for all my provinces, not just the ones listed in the decision. I still have a bunch of Confucian provinces, waiting for the +1 base tax events that convert them to Buddhist. :(

Can you spin some or all of those provinces out into vassals? That should allow you to take the decision and re-integrate them.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

I think it'd be great if calling a CN to war incurred a liberty desire bump. Makes sense and as other have said would help prevent CN spam for continental wars.

Yeah this would be pretty nice - I don't need Cuba to load up in transports and haul itself all the way over to India - I've got the war well in hand, thanks.

The flip side is that there might be frustrating incentive not to CTA in a defensive war against another colonizer, closing off like a whole theatre of battle you can't win.

double nine posted:

Also, in my opinion there should be a "let's band together" mechanic for colonial nations, where if their liberty desire reaches a threshold they'll get events/decisions that increases their levels of cooperation. When that cooperation level reaches its own threshold the colonial nations will form a super-entity against the overlord. If the war is won the super-entity remains but regional tensions will drive them to fracture back to their old CN borders and/or split in more countries, like Bolivia and Venezuela.

Plus it would be neat for colonial nations' wars. Like French Canada attacks Newfoundland who calls in Thirteen Colonies or something - makes those wars a little more interesting.

So long as we're dreaming, along these lines it'd be cool (though I imagine very difficult) if the AI could consider Balance of Forces by theatre. If the AI is weighing an offensive war against France and Austria in Europe because I have 90k troops and my vassals have another 60k and I'm expected to join, it should discount those numbers a bit based on the fact that it's not like Cuba's actually going to ship 25k troops over to Europe and also discount it a little bit based on the fact that 60k of my 90k troops are in East Africa or India and would take a year to get there. Nothing huge, just maybe only count troops from allies with capitals outside your continent as half?

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 13, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Quotetype posted:

Just pick up the estuaries and important centres of trade, and put them into a trade company. Any other expansion into not-Europe leaves you with a bunch of super high autonomy provinces, which you don't really need for trade poo poo.

What about gold in South and East Africa?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

So, the Ethiopian Republic is humming along just fine (although I'm still severely underperforming with regards to trade), but I've hit a snag - anywhere I want to expand is Sunni, and the Ottomans claimed Defender. I've got a plan but I'm not sure if it'll work - there's some Sunni OPMs way down south in Africa, like Mombasa. If I declare on them, Ottos will step in to defend, but as long as I fully occupy them as quickly as possible, the warscore should shoot to 99%, right? It won't hit 100% because allies, etc, but I don't really care. I'll just take like two ducats and make Ottos lose Defender, at which point I'll declare as many wars as possible before they get it back.

Ottomans won't get a war-invite if they're already at war with your target, and they're very unlikely to defend their faith if they're in a major war, have highs WE/debts, or rival/hate your target. Just because they're DotF doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to fight them if you time it right.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So with vassal/PU'd Electors costing IA now, what's the dominant Austria strat? Do I still PU Bohemia and feed them pieces of Brandenburg et al, or what?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Node posted:

I was looking at some of the countries that can exist if you port them over from CK2 and holy poo poo, the Roman Empire is badass. If you've formed the Roman Empire in CK2 you've already won, but their ideas are absurd in EU4. Start out with 10 Discipline, then lowered revolt risk, +5 diplomatic reputation, army force limit, infantry combat boost, production efficiency, tax income, lowered core creation cost, and their ambition is a 33% manpower increase. If your crown authority in CK2 was high, you start as an Empire government and you're one nation with no vassals.

Meanwhile, the Hashinin are weird. They have a lot of spy stuff, like an extra diplomat and increases to supporting rebels. They have, from my experience, the worst ambition I've ever seen: garrisons replenish 10% faster. Wowzers.

The Jomsvikings get the best part of the religious ideas in their national ideas; In Thor's Name. Permanent casus belli against all non believers. :black101:

Yeah, I don't think they went back and rebalanced after they nerfed some of the other Ideas.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So I recently got into Ironman (because previously I was a cowardly savescummer) and I'm taking a break from my Tuscany => Italy game to try a Malacca game. Most of the guides and advice for Malacca are written pre-1.9 (or even from like 1.2 era), so I've got a few questions.

So far it's like 1470-something I think and I've vassalized one of the OPMs (Katanda?) to the north, feed it the other OPM and Ligor, and I vassalized Pasai, Siak, and Sunda (I allied Siak to grab Pasai and beat Ayutthaya to grab Ligor, then backstabbed them). I split that P-something 3PM between Siak and Pasai, and I'm feeding Majapahit to Sunda slowly. I noticed that I had to annex/release Sunda to make them Muslim so they'd do the conversions for me. Unfortunately their missionary is slow, so I can't feed them Majapahit in fewer than 3 wars. I just annexed Siak and I'm waiting on the debuff to go away to annex Pasai.

I've got the first 3-4 ideas in Exploration and I've completed one colony right next to Siak (needed it to have reach to fab claim to hit Sunda).

My intended next move is to add a colony near where Kutai used to be (Brunei ate them), fab a claim, steal a Kutai province and release them, then feed them Brunei.

I assume I'm more or less on track here, since I haven't lost wars or made obvious screw-ups and I got some decent luck (Ayutthaya getting rough-housed in a war right before I hit them). I've also really seemed to luck out with AE - the different cultures and Hindu/Sunni religions seem to mean that I can get away with a lot, and obviously vassalizing/vassal-feeding helps.

But I'm finding myself really suffering for income - I wound up having to take out loans while founding that one colony, and I only have 2 +1 advisors. Is that going to get better once I annex Pasai and the local autonomy goes down? Should I not annex Pasai and save those DIP to rush more Ideas? What's my next target after Brunei/Majapahit? Fight Ayutthaya again and feed Katanda a few of their provinces on that thin peninsula? Just colonize like mad? What does my time-table need to be on heading westwards to make contact for Westernization? Am I correct in thinking that beyond Westernization I won't benefit from further western lands because I can't funnel trade back home? How do I Westernize if Spain/Portugal decide to make Trade Companies?

Also, is there a quick way to see what forces a given side might bring to a war besides looking up every single ally and vassal in the ledger?

alcaras posted:

Picked up Art of War.

For my first game I think I'd like to do PLC w/ Colonization. Any tips on how to go about this in the post Art of War world?

Fab something on Denmark, wait until Sweden rebels, and then attack Denmark/Norway to grab Iceland? Can you even core Iceland from Danzig?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

South Africa colonies will be added to trade companies now, and you can't westernize by bordering a trade company province even if its owner is western. So you need to actually take a colony from the euros. Once you possess a province that is also a core of a western nation, even if it was formerly a trade company, you can westernize. In my case I got lucky because Portugal dropped a colony right off my coast very early on, and I could fabricate on it.

Can I do "seize colony" on something that they're currently colonizing and then wait for it to finish, or do I have to win a war to take a full city from them?

Also how feasible is winning, can I just wait until they're distracted in Europe, or do I need a miracle? This is my first time as a non-Western in a long time.

Prop Wash posted:

As far as money goes, you probably shouldn't be having money troubles. Make sure Malacca is your trade capitol and put your merchants in Canton and Siam sending trade down. Go up to your force limit in light ships and protect in Canton and Siam, and you should have more money than you know what to do with. Also build some marketplaces in Malacca if your trade power needs some help.

OK, then it's probably just that vassals are holding most of my land. I'll annex Pasai and hopefully that'll help a lot.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Good to know. I really wish the Hessian king would just die already. Knowing my luck with these things the guy will live to be 90.

Edit

I'm very tempted, but I don't know what will happen, to attack and vassalize or annex Hesse. I have CB, they're small and only have Frankfurt as an ally.

Anyone know what will happen if you 1. Vassalize the Emperor or 2. Annex the emperor?

If you vassalize the emperor he is no longer eligible to be the emperor and a new one is selected. I assume they're selected by the electors, but IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I understand there's now a minimum time before 100% warscore kicks in if the target's allies are strong enough. When does it end, and what qualifies 'strong enough?'

I think it's 5 years, and I think you can't get 100% warscore before then unless you fully occupy all of your opponents (after five years you just need to occupy the warleader to get 100%)

• Locked thread