Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

nutranurse posted:

So does this bundle have Conquest of Paradise included?

I'm looking at it on the mobile site but it looks like it's $10 for just the base game, but some of the DLC is also on sale for 75% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright, stupid question time. If two mods change the same file, is there a way I can tell which one will override the other? Like is there a 'depends on' tag for the .mod file or anything like that?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, I was just trying to avoid that since the mod I am changing something from is from the Workshop. Rather not have to deal with manually updating it if there was an easy way to just have a proper mod load order.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zeron posted:

It just goes alphabetically I believe, rename the mod folder and then chance the path in the .mod file so that the one you want overwritten is below the other and it should work(if both files aren't Workshop I mean).

Yeah that did it, thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

The Ottomans or Muscovy.

What are some good Ideas to take early on with Muscovy? Or if there's a good guide to read about how to prioritize Ideas in general, I would love to know more about what's good/terrible/etc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thanks guys, that helps a ton.

firestruck posted:

Just remember to convert provinces before you core them after conquering them.

What difference does that end up making?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Two quick questions today.

- If I start a someone like Moscov, I have two different types of cavalry to pick from right at the start, one with 1 Shock Offense and one with 1 Shock Defense. Does it really matter much which I pick?

- The game kind of changes the color of everything when winter rolls around, makes it all more muted and such. It's kind of weird because this effects even the Political mapmode and such, which makes it a little harder to tell the difference between colors some of the time. Is there a way I can turn that off? Or just turn it down? Modding is fine, I can do that. Just not sure where that tint is applied or if there's a variable for it I can just set.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Probably also a stupid question but doesn't have those big fat doomstacks rack up a ton of army maintenance? Or is there some way around that as well?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Editing Mipmaps by hand sure is a pain in the rear end, but I think I finally got borders to look pretty nice on a variety of mapmodes. I liked the solid black borders of Thick Borders but wanted to have the color 'bleed' effect of Revolutionary Borders, sort of like how HOI4 looks. I think I got pretty close: http://imgur.com/a/i4nvZ

Had to do the Mipmaps by hand because I wanted the borders to transition to solid black as you got far enough out (instead of a weird mess like they do if you just auto generate mipmaps). It still looks slightly weird at specific far zoom distances, only so much I think I can do with editing .dds files. Any opinions? Suggestions?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Trujillo posted:

I don't have any suggestions and don't know anything about mipmaps so can't help you there. Those borders look pretty sleek though. Would you mind if the goon mp mod used it?

Sure go nuts: http://www.filedropper.com/eu4-betterborders
I left some dummy files in there, the only things you actually need to take are border5.dds and border5data.dds, I believe. The border0 and border1 I believe are for county and water(?) divisions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Couple of quick questions from my Moscovy game.

- I'm almost entirely inland right now, colonies seem out of the question entirely. Is there any way to explore the Terra Incognita to my east without unlocking the Explorer idea group (or should I be looking to take Explorer at some point anyway)? I know I slowly get reveals from other people's discoveries, but there's some big nations to my East I'd like to have a better eye on, among other things.

- Are there any hidden penalties for growing big I should know about? I've seen that other big nations get a negative opinion of me because we are both competing super powers. Any other things, like harder to maintain stability or anything like that?

- I can't figure out why but a number of dialog boxes aren't showing up sometimes. Finishing a siege, or an adviser dieing. I checked the message settings and they're set to show up, but they aren't. Bug?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

sloshmonger posted:

Terra Incognita gets revealed if you have a core next to it, so you can slowly migrate east without Exploration. It just takes a while, and you'll probably still want to get it at least the first two ideas (refund later) so you can beat up some Eastern countries.

One of the worst parts (to me) of growing big is the logistics of spanning Asia. Even if you're Force Marching, you will need to plan a year worth of travel going from one edge of your empire to the other.

Makes sense, I left Perm as a Vassal instead of annexing them so I need to fix that ASAP then. I don't have Art of War yet so I can't abandon idea groups yet, hopefully it goes on sale soon.

The movement time is definitely a thing I didn't consider. I should probably pick up Offensive before I get too large then.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'd been holding out for a sale because I know as soon as I buy AoW at full price there will be a Midweek Madness 50% off. It's getting pretty hard not to pick it up though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doesn't Muscovy have an idea that makes this happen instantly, as soon as you control a territory next to terra incognita?

Looks like they do, dunno how I missed that considering I looked over all of them several times :downs:

Sounds like that will not effect vassals either way though, so I'd need to either annex Perm or work around them which could take a very long time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just to double check, there isn't any way to offer to buy a province from someone is there? Poland is my ally and they are massively in debt (-500 gold and counting), I would love to take some of their stuff.

(Anything else I can do to help them out since they are good buddies of mine? Or just let them sort their own poo poo out?)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I keep trying to read those changes to trade steering but I don't think I even understand how trade works well enough to make heads or tails of it.

I've been operating on the 'move merchants around until the trade value is the highest' method and it seems to be working reasonably well. :goleft:

For that new feature in AoW where you can give objectives to other people in a war with you, does that only apply if you are the warleader? Or all the time? What if you aren't the warleader but bring a bunch of vassals with you?

PittTheElder posted:

But no, you can't offer to buy provinces. Again, to prevent exploits by the player.

Yeah that's what I figured it was. You'd think Poland would want to sell me their one bizarrely out of place province that's adjacent to my land, especially when they are so heavily in debt! Remember folks, always double check who a province is going to when negotiating for peace.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but is the Nation Designer and Random Nations coming bundled with the El Dorado DLC or will they be separate?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone catch the Arumba streaming with Paradox? I missed a bunch of it, mostly sounded like a bunch of QoL changes and such. The only big one I heard was that they are talking about overhauling Espionage to make it more useful and less obtuse, which is cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Speaking of pretty maps, I tried the Transparent Political Map mod and ended up not liking it because the underlying ground textures aren't very high res, usually stuff like Trees and such help to mask that but they don't show up in Political mode. Has anyone seen a good mod that just makes the ground textures significantly nicer? Every one I found on the workshop ended up screwing with a dozen different things and some of them weren't even Ironman compatible (what). I suppose if not, I'll just find the best looking one and rip the textures out.

The other problem I had though, was that the winters had a tendency to make the map look even more washed out than normal, which was kind of annoying. Might have to figure out how to turn down that effect, pretty sure I spotted that in a lua file somewhere at one point.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fuligin posted:

I'm a big fan of Graphical Map Improvements although you need to download the version that includes terrain shadows if you want it to work in Ironman. Which is annoying, but still a vast improvement imo, especially in conjunction with A Proper Sea.

Yeah that's one I was taking a look at, I'll take a look at how the textures look and just rip out all the rest of the crap from it I guess.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fuligin posted:

I'm a big fan of Graphical Map Improvements although you need to download the version that includes terrain shadows if you want it to work in Ironman. Which is annoying, but still a vast improvement imo, especially in conjunction with A Proper Sea.

Gave this one a closer look tonight, and while I like the way it looks, there are a bunch of weird graphical issues caused by it. Some strange white areas around rivers and bays that shift when you zoom in/out. And there are stitches in the map geometry in places (zoomed in to the african desert it's very obvious). Not sure what's causing that, but it's definitely this mod doing it.
Edit: NOPE, turns out I'm getting it in Vanilla too? Hrm, that's really weird, wonder what's causing it. Never noticed it before.

That being said, I actually figured out why I thought the map was looking kind of bad before. Turns out the Thicker Borders and Recolored Water mod does a whole lot more than it claims, it screws around with the ground textures, tinting, and a bunch of other poo poo. I noticed when I just tried running vanilla that the game map looked a whole hell of a lot better. Seems that the constant desire for modders to cram a bunch of unrelated poo poo into their mods extends to Paradox games I guess.

Unfortunately the default terrain texture in vanilla has that kind of awful look I was mentioning with the Transparent Political Map, so I'll have to see if I can't figure out the right textures to use.

Question on this note, if a mod doesn't effect the game's Checksum, can you use it for multiplayer too?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah, I use pretty mods and my friend doesn't

Great, that's what I was hoping.

Turned out the reason for the weird heavily repeating texture patterns with Transparent Political Mapmode was easy to fix, it was a problem with the normal mappings being too harsh on those textures. Just stole the atlas_normal0.dds file from TBARW since it was fixed in that. Map looks great now!

Here's that other weird bug I'm noticing, it happens even in vanilla:

That weird offcolored section in the circles. It actually 'snaps' when changing zoom levels, not a smooth transition, so it's not a problem with the textures/mipmaps most likely. Maybe a terrain LOD issue with the 3D mesh? Anyone else see this problem?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Good to know it's not just me at least. I'm guessing it must be an LOD issue with the lower detail terrain mesh clipping into the water.

Now if I could just figure out how to reduce the moire effect on the water normal map. :shepicide:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SeaTard posted:

Isn't it just based upon what percentage of your land is covered in them? If you have 100% coverage you would end up with 0.1% inflation reduction per year, so you'll need 30% of your land covered with them.

Quick question on this note, I'm probably blind but is there a quick way to see what % of provinces currently have a building built? Or total count at least? Counting manually on the map or in the ledger is a little annoying, and it seems strange that it wouldn't be in a tooltip somewhere or something.

Question #2, is there any plausible way I can sort of math out what the ideal army composition is related to Inf/Cav? People have said that early on, having as much Cavalry as possible is ideal, but later it helps to switch to a heavier balance of Infantry. I've looked over the Army Composition stuff on the wiki and got a better idea of how the mechanics work out now. But it specifically mentions that non-western tech groups may still end up wanting to be heavier on the Cavalry later in the game?

Basically I'm just trying to understand the mechanics for why Cavalry are stronger earlier on and what causes Infantry to become better later. Is it specifically related to Unit Pips, Bonuses, etc? Does Effectiveness VS Cost play into that?

Also thank you EU4, now I know what LERP stands for and what Vector Normalizing means.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

The casualties and morale damage you deal are based on a whole host of things. The Land Warfare covers it. Note that Tactics for the 'defending' unit is also multiplied by Discipline, so Discipline both increases damage dealt and reduces damage taken.

The reason why cavalry are so much better in the early game is because of Shock and Fire Damage Modifiers.

I get why Cavalry is much stronger in the early game, but I don't get why Infantry becomes much stronger in the late game. Based on that chart, it looks like Shock has a much larger damage modifier in general. So what makes Fire end up better?

And followup, what the heck does Flanking actually do anyway? I get how it works, but I can't find anything suggesting what it actually does. Like, is it just a big damage boost, or does it hit targets in the rear line? Or what.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImPureAwesome posted:

Infantry are just meatshields for your cannons late game, in my experience.

If the answer is as simple as "Cannons are more efficient use of gold and landforce than Cavalry" then that makes sense to me. It'd just be nice to have a better understanding of the underlying mechanics so I could understand when to start transitioning my army compositions optimally.

Randarkman posted:

In the mod's folder, go into "common", then "ideas" in there you should find .txt files that define the various national ideas and idea groups and their effects. What you want to do is change the trigger of the national ideas for Israel, which I'm guessing has the trigger "tag = ISR", you want this to trigger for your Abyssinian empire, so you have to find that country tag for the Abyssinian empire and have the ideas trigger for that tag as well (if the tag is "ETH" or something that exists in the base game you might have to make sure that some other national idea set does not trigger for it first). Same general idea for giving Norse GB Jomsviking ideas (though there I'm thinking it is really likely that GB has the "GBR" tag, which triggers the english ideas, so you will have to disable that).

I wonder where the data for Jomsvikings even are? I don't see their ideas in the \ideas folder, couldn't find anything about them with a text search.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I'm only ~Tech 10 in my current game, I've mostly just been bringing just 1 cannon with every stack for siege purposes, and filling the rest with a 50/50 of Inf/Cav. It'd be nice if the Battle Results screen told you how many kills each of your unit types was responsible for.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

I believe you want to look in your CKII/DLC directory in DLC30.zip for all the converter stuff.

Yep you're both right, looks like it's in:
\dlc\dlc030.zip\eu4_converter\copy\common\ideas\

And also it puts it into the converted save/mod itself.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

50/50 is a pretty bad idea, because if a battle breaks out, your infantry are likely going to take more damage than your cavalry, by virtue of being in the middle of the line, and then you'll immediately be suffering a Tactics penalty for having more cavalry than infantry (for a Western tech nation anyway, others can get away with more).

Yeah I'm Eastern so I can support 60% cav, so I aimed for 50/50 to help keep it safe. Most of the battles I've watched I never ran into issues, though a couple of nasty larger battles the penalty kicked in after a while. So I'll probably lean towards 60/40 in the future, it's cheaper anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

I am consistently impressed that Paradox keep making EU4 better even if you don't buy the DLC. The new terrain looks pretty, maybe I'll actually use the terrain map for a change (and then immediately switch back to political because I am a grognard and information > attractiveness).

You can use the Transparent Map Modes mod and see the terrain while using those other map modes, including snow/ice and such. I think they finally got the idea and have done something like this by default for HOI4.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How do you all decide between spending your monarch points on Technology or Ideas? It seems tough to keep up with both, do you usually just make a plan around which National Ideas, Regular Ideas, and Policies you want to beeline for?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I would actually be very surprised if we didn't get a weeklong or midweek madness sale on EU4 considering the expansion.

Have we got a preview of the patch notes for 1.10 yet? I'm thinking I will probably make a safety copy of 1.9 on the (fairly likely) chance that 1.10 breaks something horribly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sorced posted:

You don't need to make a safety copy because you can access every major patch from 1.4 onwards as a "beta" in steam.

True, but then I'd have to redownload it by rolling back, and then redownload the new version when I wanted to play it. This way I can keep both and save bandwidth.

fool_of_sound posted:

Make some vassals and feed them provinces from neighbors, then diplo-annex them once they've cored everything for you and they're getting too big to safely keep feeding. PUs are nice but in practice aren't that common.

This does seem to have the negative effect of giving you a much higher Local Autonomy though. You get 75% after annexing a vassal, but only 40-50% from taking it yourself after conquering it. I suppose it could be easier to lower after annexing if they happened to convert it to your religion/culture for you though? Haven't really done the math anyway, but if you were interested in a province for the income, wouldn't it be better to handle it yourself?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

I suppose, but I've always found that the trade power I get from conquered provinces gives me much more money than tax income. And yes, a major reason to vassalfeed is that they will convert religion an culture for you.

Yeah and I guess the point being, the Admin+Diplo cost for doing it yourself is probably rarely worth it for the extra gold income of doing it yourself. Plus you aren't dealing with overextension or revolt risk so you can immediately get back to taking other people's stuff.

I'm still completely terrible with trade (and building upgrades, in general), I can't figure out an easy or accurate way to figure out how Trade Power (or Value) will translate to income. I usually buy up Temples since they seem to end up being the most obvious and cost efficient way to increase income directly. As Russia my income right now is something like, 30 from taxation, 30 from production, and only 20 at best from trade. I could really use a lot more money but I have a hard time figuring out which things translate the best to actual monthly income.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Like clockwork, EU4 is on sale for 75% off.

However, none of the DLC is on sale :saddowns:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Noooooo. I was looking to get into this game and give the good people over at Paradox a boatload of cash for the previous DLC when the new expansion hit :/.

There's a decent chance they'll show up as Midweek or get added to the sale later so keep your eyes open.

I've been playing without AoW and the game is still great, definitely worth getting into even if you're playing without all the DLC, so don't let that stop you.

Dibujante posted:

The DLC is cheap. Just go knock over a gas station or somethinga crumbling Mesoamerican empire full of gold.

e: edited for thematic appropriateness.

If it doesn't go on sale by the time this week is up I'll probably pick up AoW at least, since there are obvious features from that that are very appealing and I'm sure I'd get $20 worth out of it.

I like the cosmetic stuff too, but not for what the full price is. I just know if I buy stuff at full price it will go on sale at the next earliest possible time so I try to avoid that. :goleft:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

Off the top of my head, the main advantages to vassal feeding:

-You can conquer more provinces without going over 100% Overextension which is when Really Nasty Events start to fire
-Feed them back cores, PROTIP: using the "return core" peace offer option means you don't take any AE. Some CBs allow you to Return Cores for free or at a discount, notably Expansion. This is really useful for feeding, say, Persia.
-They'll handle religious conversions, especially for off-culture provinces and vassals with missionary bonuses
-Get rid of Nationalism for you
-Coring cost starts at 20 ADM per basetax, diplomatic annexation is 10 DIP per basetax. It's almost always a good idea to split your expansion between coring and vassals if for no other reason then what are you gonna do with all those DIP points? Worth pointing out that coring cost discounts are additive while integration discounts are multiplicative. I make a point of conquering provinces with +coring costs by vassal feeding as it's much cheaper than coring directly.
-Especially early in the game, a vassal army is more valuable than the manpower/forcelimits from directly controlling that territory

Good writeup, thanks for that. Question on "Gets rid of Nationalism for you" though, does it actually make Nationalism just go away entirely? If so, what actually triggers that, selling the province to them, or doing the annex?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

One thing I am not a huge fan of is investing 50mil or 50 dip points in a general or admiral only for them to be dogshit awful, and I dont even play Ironman so I really could fix the issue with the console if I wanted. I just think it would be great if every army and navy had a 'captain' or something and you could promote them to a full time general/admiral for a few MPs, and it would cost MPs to fire bad generals/admirals.

Could be pretty cool, I don't really like the way hiring leaders works right now.

Maybe another way to handle it would be that, if you have a stack of sufficiently large size without an assigned leader, and it fights against another stack of sufficiently large size, there's some chance you get 'a potential leader proves himself" event, which lets you see the stats of the leader and decide if you want to promote him to a full time position or not. The idea being, every stack does have a leader, but you don't really care about them on a national level unless they are exceptional in some way.

Probably don't make it a Pop-up, but make it one of those little flags saying "Hey you have x Months to decide to keep this guy or not."

I wonder if you could actually mod in something like that? Sounds reasonably within the bounds of how the mechanics currently work.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So wait, what did Innovative get in replacement for Knowledge Transfer?

Looks pretty great all around, best line for me though:

quote:

- Autonomy macrobuild interface will now show true unrest number instead of setting negative unrest numbers to zero.
This got on my nerves so hard because it was such an obvious and weird oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Something that kind of annoys me about the UI, I love the outliner and I love the 'quick' messages window, but they are competing for space. Anyone have any clever ideas how to handle that? I'd just close the quick messages window and use the regular message log, but for some reason you can't seem to click on the messages in the regular log to get more details, and it's kind of messy to read since nothing is clickable or color coded. I'd love to see the message log color code the names of countries (acording to Player/Ally/Enemy/etc) and have them be clickable.

I guess it's a weird complaint, I just wish I could get more info at a glance without it fighting for screen real estate.

• Locked thread