Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

schmarson posted:

Just discovered this thread and finished marathoning the videos. Loved this game a lot in high school. I think I got pretty far in it, but never finished because I was really really bad at that the game and would use a bunch of sea monks and fairies and recycle all of them to get through the stages. I really wish I knew about not having any consequences for aborting a mission.

Can you demo a spin card? Not the carbuncle though. I actually really liked using the juggernauts to run over a bunch of guys. Are there any good spin cards?

It's been ages since I've played this game, but I remember being fond of the whip worm. It's short lived but can really wreck poo poo.

Although in general I was fond of independent type cards and tried to always have one out. If you choose independent types at the right time, you can be very efficient with you cards, and when it's no longer working to your advantage you can just recall them and use it later. I had a lot of success dropping a Caterpoker next to something slow in the mid game, killing the rest of the monsters, and coming back to an unharmed Caterpoker and a dead enemy monster a minute later.

I'm noticing PAMaster isn't cycling his cards though? If you discard a card, you can use it again in a later battle. Personally if I plan on capturing something I'll sit there and discard everything until I find a dark raven or lizard man to use for the capture, so I don't have to waste a dragon knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Renegret posted:

I'm noticing PAMaster isn't cycling his cards though? If you discard a card, you can use it again in a later battle. Personally if I plan on capturing something I'll sit there and discard everything until I find a dark raven or lizard man to use for the capture, so I don't have to waste a dragon knight.

Usually if I capture cards using Dragon Knights or similar cards it's a matter of safety. Using more high-powered cards deals more damage with the capture throw (though I'm not entirely sure what the scaling is) so it's usually an attempt to waste as few cards as possible. Alternatively, it's from a run of the level where I didn't try to use cards as optimally as possible since I planned on aborting the stage and starting over.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If you're still accepting deck gimmicks, you should go through a level with nothing but independent monsters in your deck sometime. No summons, no weapons, just things that run around while you run away from everything.

Also, I see you've filled your deck with 3 crystal roses now, even though you said they were garbage earlier in the LP. I told you they're good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

gnome7 posted:

If you're still accepting deck gimmicks, you should go through a level with nothing but independent monsters in your deck sometime. No summons, no weapons, just things that run around while you run away from everything.

Also, I see you've filled your deck with 3 crystal roses now, even though you said they were garbage earlier in the LP. I told you they're good.

This is so much fun with skeletons.

Hilariously ineffective, but hilarious nonetheless.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I had no idea that LK was made by Fromsoft! I rented the first game maybe once or twice but LKII was a blockbuster staple for me, one of my favorite games that I never technically owned. I'm glad you started playing it because it is a much better game :)

That isn't to say this one isn't good too, and you are doing a fantastic job showing it off. I never played it as much as the sequel, as a result I am learning a lot of new things. Thanks for doing this.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 11: Pick a card

This episode we're joined by TieTuesday for a card-hunting tiger-finding well-herbing fog-clearing hyphen-using good time. We're tasked with tossing some sweet herbs into wells in order to fix the errors made by a scientist that we never see and only hear about.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I remember this game. It was the second thing I played on the GameCube. I didn't play it very well though... I had no idea there were side quests! Thank you for showing all the thing I missed and bringing me a good dose of nostalgia.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

I really liked your guest this episode. :3:
Thanks for playing this, I loved the second game, but couldn't get into the first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's really been the only level with buffing enemies? Huh. It might be interesting if they actually hid them in a corner of the battle map or something but it seemed like they were out in the open.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Independent monsters are my fav thing in these two games, although obviously they had way more utility in the second game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I hope that this is still going, I was starting to get really interested in what was going to come next. I also want to see more fun card battle action! (and more misses with giant dragons)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Independent monsters are my fav thing in these two games, although obviously they had way more utility in the second game.

It's been said time and again, but it's hard to understate just how much better the second game is. The first game is a fun but clunky experience (which the LP has done a fantastic job of showing off), but the second really smooths out a ton of the first game's poor design decisions and adds so much.

Wow, I didn't realize there had been such a big gap since the last update. Yeah, this has been a pretty nice LP, so here's to hoping.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

SystemLogoff posted:

I hope that this is still going, I was starting to get really interested in what was going to come next. I also want to see more fun card battle action! (and more misses with giant dragons)

Hey, yeah, sorry! School Finals had me really caught up for a bit, as did some issues with Sony Vegas. But we're definitely still going, and on that note...

Episode 12: Playing the Field

Bernden Field is a pretty short level, but the midboss fight is pretty good for grinding experience and capturing some powerful cards. The actual boss of the level is fairly difficult in comparison, though.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The first game is a fun but clunky experience[...] but the second really smooths out a ton of the first game's poor design decisions and adds so much.
Absolutely! The more I play LK2, the more I really appreciate just how much of a mechanical improvement it is.

Story-wise... well it's not FromSoft's most amazing work, but I love it to death for what it is. And it's hilarious, is what it is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it prohibitively expensive to use all these three-star cards you've been getting, or are some of them pretty cheap crystal-wise?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Love me some Decoy Pillar. Just the idea behind it makes me laugh.

"I MUST ATTACK THIS HIDEOUS FURNITURE INSTEAD OF THE PERSON TRYING TO KILL ME"

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Love me some Decoy Pillar. Just the idea behind it makes me laugh.

"I MUST ATTACK THIS HIDEOUS FURNITURE INSTEAD OF THE PERSON TRYING TO KILL ME"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5768WalZqM

"So... tacky... can't look directly at it"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Tetrakarn posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5768WalZqM

"So... tacky... can't look directly at it"

This is exactly what I was picturing.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Glazius posted:

Is it prohibitively expensive to use all these three-star cards you've been getting, or are some of them pretty cheap crystal-wise?

Truth be told, we've about gotten to the point in the LP where we have enough crystals and health play whatever we want. With that said, our deck will be pretty static going forward. Maybe changes from level to level, definitely for some of the secret dungeons at the very end of the game, but otherwise we'll be making small tweaks on the way out.

Quick note on the LP: I've got the next episode recorded, but it probably won't be online for at least a week or two until I get back from a brief vacation.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 13: Tiger Guild

I realized in editing that I never really mentioned what the Megaman Battle Network reference I was thinking about was. It was something called "sub-folders" and there was a part of the game when you had access to multiple premade decks but the more powerful ones were further away behind multiple challenges.

I do think that a full=blown draft deck mode would be rad as hell though.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

PAMaster posted:

Episode 13: Tiger Guild

I realized in editing that I never really mentioned what the Megaman Battle Network reference I was thinking about was. It was something called "sub-folders" and there was a part of the game when you had access to multiple premade decks but the more powerful ones were further away behind multiple challenges.

The way the sub-folder gimmick worked was that sometimes you were FORCED to use those sub-folders, and often they were bestowed by plot. They also all kind of sucked.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

PAMaster posted:

If FROM ever answers my prayers and makes a Lost Kingdoms 3, a deck-drafting gimmick area would be one of the most amazing things to add in. Maybe as a PvP mode, with a PvE area that happened to have it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Tiger Mage is half Mage half Tiger! Read the description! Not to mention, just look at 'em! The mage bit flings fire at ya.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

bathroomrage posted:

The way the sub-folder gimmick worked was that sometimes you were FORCED to use those sub-folders, and often they were bestowed by plot. They also all kind of sucked.

You mean the N1 Preliminaries? Yeah, that sucked.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You know, I think there was an episode of Yugioh with that plot. A new rival showed how great he is by buying a bust of card packs, taking the random cards inside and using them as a deck against the main character.

...At least, I think that happened. It's been a while.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of laughed at all the things that flying tigers should be able to do that the Tiger Mage cannot.

Does that card evolve into, like, a lion sorceror or cheetah wizard or something?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I hate to revive a nearly-dead thread, but is this still going? It just seems like it'd be a shame to let it drop into archives without actually hearing one way or another.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Unknown Quantity posted:

I hate to revive a nearly-dead thread, but is this still going? It just seems like it'd be a shame to let it drop into archives without actually hearing one way or another.

Next update will be up within 48 hours as a matter of fact, just got back from RTX!

The Unasked Question posted:

But why didn't you update it for the past month if the only thing stopping you was going to RTX that's kind of a lameass exc-

Shaddap

PAMaster fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

PAMaster posted:

Next update will be up within 48 hours as a matter of fact, just got back from RTX!

Shaddap
Hehe. I'll wait as long as it takes for updates. This game is such a diamond in the rough.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 14: Mediocre Demons

And now that we've actually found a Golden Goose ingame, a quick note on the difficulty in catching it: They are notorious cowards, and will run whenever you get near. If they hit the edge of the arena they can run from the fight which denies you both experience and the chance to catch the goose. The Crystal Rose is actually great for this, since it deals a small amount of damage with enough range that the goose won't try to run away from you.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I remember the Vampire giving me a lot of trouble when I was younger. Guess I was just bad.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That was the least outrageous church puzzle in any video game. Also, nice capture of that extra golden card. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, wait. Does the vampire card have a chance to instant-kill you too?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Glazius posted:

So, wait. Does the vampire card have a chance to instant-kill you too?

No, no, not you. You're immune to this particular instant-death card, it only applies to most regular enemies in LK1.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 15: Give a Hoot

Final sidequest time. I kind of wish they did more with the sidequests in this game than just giving you extra levels to play, but it's extra content and the game is pretty punishingly short as-is so I suppose it sort of makes sense? The fact that it's so easy to miss all of them by never talking to Gurd doesn't help much, though.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

PAMaster posted:

No, no, not you. You're immune to this particular instant-death card, it only applies to most regular enemies in LK1.

I know of one Instadeath card that affects everything....and I do mean everything.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

PAMaster posted:

Final sidequest time. I kind of wish they did more with the sidequests in this game than just giving you extra levels to play, but it's extra content and the game is pretty punishingly short as-is so I suppose it sort of makes sense? The fact that it's so easy to miss all of them by never talking to Gurd doesn't help much, though.

I discovered them completely by accident before I was heading to the final mission. That was a pleasant surprise.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Question: Do you have that "Special" card yet PA?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Silegna posted:

Question: Do you have that "Special" card yet PA?

I have every card, I've actually finished recording the game at this point.

This is why I said "this particular insta-death card".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

PAMaster posted:

I have every card, I've actually finished recording the game at this point.

This is why I said "this particular insta-death card".

Oh. Wow. I really need to think sometimes. But that card really is the only way to get all cards, I think. I think certain cards you can only get from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Childre Inarabitta
Jul 22, 2007

Frozen Funeral Death Rabbit
I feel so bad for caring but, if I am remembering right

The giant hole gets filled up magically after you beat the final boss and the Bhasea kingdom in the second game is what all is on the other side, which honestly isn't that much. This still doesn't explain why monsters are about but hey, fantasy game.

• Locked thread