Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Childre Inarabitta posted:

I feel so bad for caring but, if I am remembering right

The giant hole gets filled up magically after you beat the final boss and the Bhasea kingdom in the second game is what all is on the other side, which honestly isn't that much. This still doesn't explain why monsters are about but hey, fantasy game.

And all that wouldn't be so bad, if the second game didn't just forget that it had ever happened and move on anyway. It just retreads ground that we've seen in game 1 in a new way.

Like, I think this game definitely had some ideas about where it was going but it just kind of made the world and put a story in it. And that's OK, but when they try to do backstory and then drop the subject it gets pretty notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Lost Kingdoms is kind of notable for just how badly it uses its plot. It sets up loads of cool things and does nothing with any of them and it's frankly incredible.

LK and LK2 aren't games you play for their story, you play them for the super rad card game summoning system.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That lake is where you fall into to get into Drangleic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's like Demons/Dark Souls, where the story is there only if you poke at the details! Except then you also get to fill in all the details! Such immersive storytelling, fantastic.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That lake is where you fall into to get into Drangleic.

Cue somebody trying to make Princess Katia in DSII.

Let's see... Desert Sorceress Skirt, either the Falconer armour or the Bandit one...

Maybe modding is in order.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you have to do all the sidequests to get all the Red Fairies or are there extra ones kicking around in the main campaign?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Glazius posted:

Do you have to do all the sidequests to get all the Red Fairies or are there extra ones kicking around in the main campaign?

THAT is technically actually a really good point that I didn't consider while making the video.

I mean there's no reason to tuck away the sidequests like they did but you can still complete the game (not 100%, but complete) without them.

With that said, getting all the Red Fairies is incredibly important for completion. Unlike most of what Alexander has given us so far, the 100-fairy card is super important! Also the 100-fairy conglomerate is incredibly chufty so we have to see it anyway.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 16: Duel

Our final battle with Helena, and a couple twists to the plot that send us off in a new direction entirely.

That's right it's time to face off in the Coliseum this episode, dueling cards in a challenge of minds and wits in which the victor will only be the one that might best display their knowledge of the subject at ha-oh I'm not kidding anyone we're just gonna throw cards at her until she falls down.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Oh thank god. I was afraid this thread had died. Yeah, Helena was a fun battle. I remember dying to her a bunch, though, oddly, I never felt bad for her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Once again, a tragedy that could have been avoided by just loving asking for help. It's not like we're allied with the Enchanter or anything.

Er, we're not, right?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I liked playing as Helena, my friend liked playing as "generic soldier". When both people don't have lovely movement mechanics, the multiplayer is pretty fun! Playing as the Princess (in both games) is a joke, since you stagger.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
WOO ANOTHER SKELETON CARD FOR THE THUMBNAIL

WHY DO SO MANY LEVELS HAVE SKELETONS

Episode 17: Repetition of a Stage

Despite the title, most of the repetition is done offscreen! We're finally getting to the endgame, but there's still a fairly large chunk of the game that is (surprise) entirely optional!
It gets us absolutely broken cards though, so... there's that.

Also as a quick note, I've lost access to the Wii that I recorded the LP on. I don't actually have footage of Card #105 (The 'secret' one for the Red Fairies). I'm probably going to have to pull out my Gamecube and get footage of it off of that, but it's just a minor setback.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wahey! The LP is back!
I cant get enoguh of FromSofts games, theres that weird quirk that all their games share that endears me to them.

And skeletons are hip.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Hurrah for skeleton!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wahey! The LP is back!
I cant get enoguh of FromSofts games, theres that weird quirk that all their games share that endears me to them.

And skeletons are hip.

FromSoft...that rings a bell for some reason. I seem to remember seeing on a game I played recently.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dunno bout you but ive been a fan since the armored core days.

Im not hardcore enough for Kings Field though :smith:.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 16, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Our poor hero.

The invisible wall is the most painful to run into.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Our poor hero.

The invisible wall is the most painful to run into.

I didn't even know there were invisible walls in this game.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The skeletons in this game have a very "spookyscary" quality to them.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

The skeletons in this game are absolute asskickers if you use them right. Seriously, Steel Skeletons were the backbone (:rimshot:) of my decks in later levels, because even when their insta-kill didn't trigger they could hold their own against drat near anything. In hindsight, I'm now wondering if the newbie-brutalizers just after the prologue in Dark Souls are From Software's little in-joke or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The skeletons in this game are absolute asskickers if you use them right. Seriously, Steel Skeletons were the backbone (:rimshot:) of my decks in later levels, because even when their insta-kill didn't trigger they could hold their own against drat near anything. In hindsight, I'm now wondering if the newbie-brutalizers just after the prologue in Dark Souls are From Software's little in-joke or something.

Skeletons wielding moonlight swords.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose it is time to start backtracking for ultimate power. Hope the other backtracks aren't basically a joke like all those goblin lords.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
You know it's funny that you guys mention Steel Skeletons, because here's where we start using 'em a bit and where I call out how useful they are overall.

Episode 18: Forest Maze

Personally, I think these hidden stages are some of the best in the game. They're all unique in style and setup, the bosses are all pretty cool, and it's just a huge pity that they put such a wall in front of them that a lot of players never even saw them for the card limit. 20 out of every 22-24 cards is no joke, especially when the card that you get from the stage is one of the 22-24. You can only miss one or two cards total if you want to get in to this place. Earth element is particularly nasty, since you have to transform a card or two if I'm not mistaken (decoy pillar, gorgon, and sphinx all need to be transformed by this point in the game).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Four Sacred Beasts, one is a tiger... gosh, I wonder what the other ones are going to be?!?! :rolleyes:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Four Sacred Beasts, one is a tiger... gosh, I wonder what the other ones are going to be?!?! :rolleyes:

Hey, at least the boss wasn't named "Byakko"

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That battle was pretty rough.

I also had to capture this moment, because I laughed a little.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

these are all really good but I'm a huge fan of this one in particular

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ouch. Getting pinned in a corner and rushed down repeatedly looks kind of like a death sentence, and it seems to be how you start that fight. Great job getting out of it.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 19: Ancient Pyramid

If I'm being honest, I really dig the visual style of the Pyramid level. Of course, it's really short and there aren't many assets used in it so... maybe it's just a case of 'less is more'? One thing is for sure, though, most of the bonus stages are centered around very small areas that you have to solve a 'puzzle' in and this one is no exception.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I never really had a problem with this temple, because the Unicorns and Mind Flayers were always a staple of my decks. Having a bunch of those in your deck lets you re-use powerful cards over and over and keep your deck self-sustaining forever, no matter how much crap the game throws at you. Going through this level with the ability to use 1 or 2 Fenrils every combat really makes the place a cakewalk.

Deathguise
Jun 11, 2008
You seem to really disdain Independent cards, and that's a shame. I played through this game again last month, and I was surprised just how effective Caterpokers were in this temple. They chewed through the zombie dragons amazingly well, and because they can be just unsummoned when their job's done I still had a lot of cards left for the boss after a fair few dragon fights. And, as you mentioned, Tricksters are just awesome.

Really enjoying the LP though, keep it up!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm not gonna lie, I was expecting a Dragon Boss here. I'm excited to see the rest of the game, though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww yeah, the Great Turtle. Love that card.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It must really be annoying to have to chase some fast-moving rear end in a top hat down and waste your cards trying to peg it.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
]
Episode 20: Touch the orb

And we're back! New update with another one of the secret god card levels. This time, we're off to the water palace to find the Blue Dragon. This is probably my favorite visual design of a stage in the game, which is only slightly undercut by the level seeming a bit short.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, Blue Dragon is why my friend went from "Fair Play Rule? that's stupid" to "yeah we're turning this on from now on".

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Those Red Fairies must be so bored in the chests, I guess when you open them they spit out the first thing they can think of.

"Hey, did you know back in World War Two..."

I want to make a joke about the Blue eyes white Dragon being one of the most broken cards, but Yugioh broke that long ago.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 19, 2015

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 21: Out of the frying pan

The very last one of the legendary elemental gods is in the middle of a volcano, that is also somehow being plagued by shin-high water a bit.

Like really we are in a giant volcano and I can literally walk through this water with only a slight effect on my movement you really think this is a huge influence on the general fire-spewing ecosyst-gently caress it whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have you always got to plant your feet to use a card, or can you use them while free-running?

It seems like you could use that phoenix to really get stuck in with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If I recall correctly Pheonix also gobbles up all the damage you'd take by using the Black Dragon. So, you know. That's cool.

• Locked thread