Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

DickEmery posted:

RDS?

It's at the Aviva

Great win for Scotland! Now, let's all move on with our lives..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Well, that sucked. See you next week for our annual loss to England :v:

Time to get ready for the Super Bowl.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Scotland's grand slam begins!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol @ the denied try in the last minute. The whole pub was falling over itself laughing at that. A shame it wasn't awarded :(

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 2, 2014

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Has there ever been a good Sunday game in the 5/6 nations? Apart from April 11th 1999, which will put a smile on my face until the day I die.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gambrinus posted:

Has there ever been a good Sunday game in the 5/6 nations? Apart from April 11th 1999, which will put a smile on my face until the day I die.

Not the Welsh Coach though!

Oh Graham Henry :allears:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, just as American Football descends from Rugby, it seems that the Denver Broncos took inspiration from Scotland today.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Apollodorus posted:

So, just as American Football descends from Rugby, it seems that the Denver Broncos took inspiration from Scotland today.

Hey now, Scotland didn't give up 43 points :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Fenrir posted:

Hey now, Scotland didn't give up 43 points :v:

Yes but we Americans like to do things bigger and better.

Case in point: Americans are fatter than Europeans.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
After this weekend I now predict that France will win the Six Nations.

I will not retract this statement so you all may mock me when they lose to Italy again.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha ha, my Waratahs membership card just arrived in an envelope unironically titled "NSW Waratahs True Believer".

This is what's it's come down to.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I'm still formulating my waratahs toxx but I don't know if I should go the long odds or keep it simple. The team looks pretty good this year so my choice is hard

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

julian assflange posted:

lol @ the denied try in the last minute. The whole pub was falling over itself laughing at that. A shame it wasn't awarded :(
I wish it had been awarded purely for the way he managed to get it down. :allears:

Wasn't the most convincing win, we were pretty decent in the 2nd half though. At least we didn't balls it up against Scotland like we did last year.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

After this weekend I now predict that France will win the Six Nations.

I will not retract this statement so you all may mock me when they lose to Italy again.

After this weekend I'm also backing France to win this year. I think that win was a big win and will settle the team down a lot. I'm going to say they'll get the Slam this year as well.

Scotland sadly will be battling for the wooden spoon and judging my Italy's performance agaisnt Wales I'm fairly sure we're going to get it. The Italian back seem to be hella fast as well.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 3, 2014

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh yeah, we're definitely getting it this year. We failed to do anything against a fairly weak Irish side.

We'll be bloody lucky if England don't run up 40-50 points against us. If we play like that throughout the tournament its going to be a loving whitewash every game.

Should be fun to watch the train wreck.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
We were pretty shaky against England in that 2nd half, I'm not too confident about how the other games will go.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Eddie Butler wrote in the Guardian that England put in a perfect away performance, apart from... you know actually winning the game.

I think this Ireland side is better than a lot of people are giving them credit for. I can't really see past them or Wales; their match in Dublin is going to be great.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Raffles posted:

Eddie Butler wrote in the Guardian that England put in a perfect away performance, apart from... you know actually winning the game.

England look a lot better than they did last year, despite losing. Their attacking play in particular is looking much better, and general defence (barring Nowell's two fuckups) is excellent. If the pack continues in the same vein they're going to be an equal to the 2003 vintage, and remember that the three best backs (Tuilagi, Wade, Yarde) are out of action at the moment.

Basically Lancaster got things the wrong way around; last year should have been experimentation, this year should have been about embedding. Still, at least Ashton is out for the moment.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
England is a bunch of boring assholes.

Do the right thing and support Real Cool Man™ teams like Italy. :patriot:

Pretty boring matches overall. Nice to see France do things, I guess. Plisson I want to gently caress him seems cool.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pylb posted:

We were pretty shaky against England in that 2nd half, I'm not too confident about how the other games will go.

I tend to feel France always look a bit shaky, just sometimes they're shaky and score 3 tries and sometimes they're shaky and can't get the ball past stand off.

quote:

Oh yeah, we're definitely getting it this year. We failed to do anything against a fairly weak Irish side.

We'll be bloody lucky if England don't run up 40-50 points against us. If we play like that throughout the tournament its going to be a loving whitewash every game.

Should be fun to watch the train wreck.

The Scotland performance was just dismal, I usually look for the positives but we were outplayed in pretty much every area. Usually you can look at it and think, well we tried hard and if it wasn't for that missed tackle we would have been ok. That game the tries were coming, they felt inevitable.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Quite happy with that Ireland performance.I wasn't expecting for us to get that far ahead,especially with our 2 best wingers,our best second row,and our best flanker missing.The big question now is whether they can keep the momentum from this win,which is something Ireland have always struggled with.

I'm especially happy compared to last year,as this has been haunting my memories since last year.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
England and Ireland could have been made to look good by an under performing French or Scottish team.
You can't really tell much after the first week.
Except about Wales.

Wales were poo poo.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
This tournament already seems to have degenerated into a "which of these fragile teams will poo poo the bed the least" game.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Aramoro posted:

The Scotland performance was just dismal, I usually look for the positives but we were outplayed in pretty much every area. Usually you can look at it and think, well we tried hard and if it wasn't for that missed tackle we would have been ok. That game the tries were coming, they felt inevitable.

Yeah I didn't see much of anything positive to take away from that match - especially since the Irish team wasn't even at full strength.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It's been confirmed that Maitland's out of the Calcutta Cup game with a concussion and a right leg injury.

:suicide:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Vagabundo posted:

It's been confirmed that Maitland's out of the Calcutta Cup game with a concussion and a right leg injury.

:suicide:

Being a back in the Scottish team is pretty much a death sentence, even when they're not on international duty the curse gets them eventually. Just hope Maitland's leg isn't too bad but from seeing the injury on TV, I'll be surprised if he's back at all.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

Being a back in the Scottish team is pretty much a death sentence, even when they're not on international duty the curse gets them eventually. Just hope Maitland's leg isn't too bad but from seeing the injury on TV, I'll be surprised if he's back at all.

He should hopefully be back...he did walk off instead of being stretchered off.

[quote]Swinson might be sweating over his place in the starting line-up, as the second row is currently the most fiercely contested area of the side, but if Scott Johnson wants his team to be driven along by a bit of Braveheart spirit then his name should probably be the first on the teamsheet. Certainly, he is unimpressed by the praise that has been heaped on England since their narrow loss to France in Paris.

"England are a team for the taking," said Swinson, a line that was assuredly not lifted from the Official SRU Handbook of Stock Cliches and Platitudinous Waffle. "France played well in parts, but they didn't put in a whole team performance and still beat England."

He has a point. There were bright spots in England's performance, but not so bright as to blind anyone to the fact they still lost to a misfiring French side. And yet, England got a heck of a lot closer to France in their 26-24 loss in Paris than Scotland got to Ireland in their 28-6 defeat in Dublin. "The result was not good for Scotland and there is quite a big gap," Swinson acknowledged. "You've got to take some of the positives from it, and we can see there are some, but there is also a lot of stuff to work on."

Such as a failure to make more of field position, that old Scottish inability to turn vigour on the field into any sort of action on the scoreboard? "There's a bit of that," he admitted. "Our possession in the first half and our attacking intent was really good.

"We may have been a bit naive at times but that's something we can improve on and there's some base we can work from there."[quote]

It takes a lot to be this wonderfully optimistic. :allears:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Why isn't John Barclay being selected? Is he in poor form?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Why isn't John Barclay being selected? Is he in poor form?

He's been out of the side for a while really, since Glasgow just dropped him like a brick. He had some surgery at the end of last year as well. He's been playing for Scarlets though and getting regular games in. I think perhaps his fitness is in question.

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008
Wales team to face Ireland:

Jenkins back in for James, Coombs in for Charteris, Warburton for Tipuric and a dramatic and exciting selection at flyhalf.

Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, Scott Williams, Jamie Roberts, George North , Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips, Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard , Adam Jones, Andrew Coombs, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Seriously, did Dan Biggar gently caress Gatland's wife or something?

Is there a reason everyone's started calling Faletau by his full name recently?

edit. Ah fair enough if that's what he prefers I guess. Does that mean I have to stop calling Dylan Hartley "cheating scumbag piece of poo poo" though?

Tragic Peculiar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 4, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Tragic Peculiar posted:

Wales team to face Ireland:

It's really frustrating, he should own that 10 jersey by now, he should have cemented his place after a fantastic time in the last 6N

Regarding Toby Taulupe Faletau, he's specifically requested the media call him his full name, apparently.

quote:

An email from the Welsh Rugby Union before the Wales v Italy game indicated that Toby Faletau wanted to be known by his birth name of Taulupe Faletau from here on in.

It doesn't sound an unreasonable request but the WRU later clarified the position by saying he didn't mind people calling him Toby to his face but in print he preferred Taulupe.

When asked by the press how he should be addressed during interviews, the man himself said: "Toby is fine."

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/New-Faletau-remains-strong/story-20548442-detail/story.html#ixzz2sMosmqjS

:3:

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Easier to spell correctly than pronounce correctly, I assume that's why.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Tragic Peculiar posted:

The only explanation I've ever heard from inside the camp is that someone with a lot of power in the team doesn't like receiving passes from Biggar.

What kind of impact he'd have on the Welsh team right now is up for debate, as well. His biggest strength is being able to say "Hang on, gently caress the playbook", and make a run or throw a cut-out pass on the spur of the moment. The way the team functions right now, Mike Phillips controls everything, and directs players into position before he picks up the ball from the scrum. By the time he snaps the ball to Biggar, he's just a cog in the works, and the only thing he really gets to bring to the Welsh team is more accurate kicks to touch.

I'm sure his time will come, but instead of waiting for Priestland to retire in order to a permanent spot at #10, he's waiting for Mike Phillips and Jamie Roberts to retire.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 4, 2014

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

Tyma posted:

The only explanation I've ever heard from inside the camp is that someone with a lot of power in the team doesn't like receiving passes from Biggar.

They don't like it because they don't like him personally, or because they think he passes wrong somehow? If it's the former, then holy poo poo I didn't realise player power had got that bad, if the latter, I'm surprised because everything Priestland does these days seems panicky and desperate. Even that kick that led to the early try last week seemed to be more of an "Oh God getridofitgetridofitgetridofit" than anything planned, although that might just be what his face looks like.

Tyma posted:

What kind of impact he'd have on the Welsh team right now is up for debate, as well. His biggest strength is being able to say "Hang on, gently caress the playbook", and make a run or throw a cut-out pass on the spur of the moment. The way the team functions right now, Mike Phillips controls everything, and directs players into position before he picks up the ball from the scrum. By the time he snaps the ball to Biggar, he's just a cog in the works, and the only thing he really gets to bring to the Welsh team is more accurate kicks to touch.

I'm sure his time will come, but instead of waiting for Priestland to retire in order to a permanent spot at #10, he's waiting for Mike Phillips and Jamie Roberts to retire.

Again though, I thought Biggar was just really neat and well disciplined last year, and accurate kicks to touch seem like exactly what you'd want from a flyhalf in a that kind of team (feel free to correct me if that's bollocks though).

Is there something which Priestland does really well?

Tragic Peculiar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 4, 2014

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
He really knows how to tease a man's shaft.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
According to the BBC, Murrayfield is looking to replace their pitch with a hybrid one.

I, for one, will be sad to see the recreation of WW1 trench warfare that happens every time a match is played there.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey remember Sonny Bill Williams? England may have their own SBW now:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...z-1226819363565

Really though, I think Burgess knew SBW was going back to Union and didn't want to miss out on the chance to do this to him again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_RYjbq_BI

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Looking forward to seeing him getting sent off for a should charge in his first match.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Scott Williams has turned down a central contract, and re-signed with Scarlets.

Newport Dragons have signed Boris Stankovich from Leicester.

Cardiff Blues have signed 6 players in the space of a week.

.. They must know something we don't, right?

edit : Oh, righto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who the heck is Lewis Gatland?

• Locked thread