Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Scotland have dropped Richie Gray for his little brother and Kelly Brown for Fusaro.

Nice way to get your first cap, a Calcutta cup game that nobody expects you to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

goatface posted:

Scotland have dropped Richie Gray for his little brother and Kelly Brown for Fusaro.

Nice way to get your first cap, a Calcutta cup game that nobody expects you to win.

Nobody expects Scotland to win, but everyone apart from the English want them to win.

Lancaster hasn't changed his squad, which sucks as I was really hoping George Ford would have a chance.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Went to the Waratahs Blues trial tonight. Both teams went well, Kurtley was good coming back at fullback and we had some crazy dude on the wing I didn't recognise. Charles Piutau ripped up for the Blues but Benji Marshall has a ways to go before he's a union player. Too flat, a bit directionless. He organised the runners a bit and mainly acted as a distributor of the ball.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hope y'all are ready for a really bad game of rugby tomorrow at Lansdowne. The weather is currently lovely and probably won't improve, so conditions will not be good.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I feel like I have a grasp of the game enough to enjoy it, however I have questions.

When the ball carrier is tackled he has to release the ball immediately, right? Do the rules dictate he can release it in any direction he wants? I usually see the carrier release the ball behind him to his own team. That's cool?

Are union rules the same as league when it comes to kickoffs? If the ball doesn't go out on the full the kicking team gets the line out?

Is stripping the ball allowed? I thought it was banned in NRL but that's a different game of rugby I know.

Is collapsing the scrum a penalty due to safety issues?

Sorry, that's it for now! Also, not that anyone cares but my cousin in Rome plays rugby, he says a lot of kids his age in Italy are picking it up. He's 16 and built like a forward (as much as Italians can be). When I was a kid it was all association football and volleyball.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Funkysauce posted:

I feel like I have a grasp of the game enough to enjoy it, however I have questions.

When the ball carrier is tackled he has to release the ball immediately, right? Do the rules dictate he can release it in any direction he wants? I usually see the carrier release the ball behind him to his own team. That's cool?

You have to release immediately (my coach always told us immediately is how long it takes you to say "immediately"). Players release it backwards for two reasons - first you'd want to put it towards your own players to give them a better chance of retaining at a ruck, and second and probably more important if you released it forward it'd be a knock-on.

quote:

Are union rules the same as league when it comes to kickoffs? If the ball doesn't go out on the full the kicking team gets the line out?

If the ball goes out on the fall from a kickoff, it's a scrum at centre-field to the receiving team. (there might be a choice of a line-out to the receiving team, I forget, but if there is most teams take the scrum as it's a bit easier to maintain possession than with a lineout).

quote:

Is stripping the ball allowed? I thought it was banned in NRL but that's a different game of rugby I know.

Yes.

quote:

Pretty much yeah.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Thanks butros!

Just thought of another one, when the ball is released from the ruck the players can't let it sit there forever right? They need to continue play quickly?

Example:

I'm dropped, I release to you. You just let the ball sit while waiting for players to get wide or to get a look at the defense. Is that ok? Do you need to play the ball quickly?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Funkysauce posted:

Thanks butros!

Just thought of another one, when the ball is released from the ruck the players can't let it sit there forever right? They need to continue play quickly?

Example:

I'm dropped, I release to you. You just let the ball sit while waiting for players to get wide or to get a look at the defense. Is that ok? Do you need to play the ball quickly?

They actually just changed this rule during the 2013 season. As long as a ruck was formed and the ball was still inside the ruck (i.e. someone had their leg stretched over it or something), a scrumhalf could just wait forever. The Bulls would actually do a move where they would have about 5 players bind on each other and heel the ball back to each other, to give their scrumhalf enough space to do a box kick forward.

However, that is now illegal, and from the time a ruck is formed, the ball must be passed out by the scrumhalf or a player acting as scrumhalf within 5 seconds - you'll often hear the referee start counting if the ball is in there a while and the scrumhalf generally gets the point and will move it out. The whole point is to keep the pace of the game up, rather than slowing it down.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
It's why Nigel Owens keeps shouting "Ewzit!"

Was one of the most ridiculous sights in Rugby seeing a scrum half standing over the ball for 30 seconds with an opposing player a foot away not being able to touch him or the ball.

Next, sort out the clusterfuck that is "dummy runners" in midfield please.
It's like crossing never existed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dropping a scrum deliberately is boring (because scrums already take too loving long with all the resetting, refs moving around to get a different view, and bullshit games that props play) but generally just really dangerous. There's a lot of people with their necks and backs in odd positions driving all their body weight in weird directions. Drop it the wrong way and suddenly someone's got one guy's bodyweight pressing down on his head while three other people are driving his body in another direction.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

DickEmery posted:

Was one of the most ridiculous sights in Rugby seeing a scrum half standing over the ball for 30 seconds with an opposing player a foot away not being able to touch him or the ball.

I always did enjoy though when some frustrated front rower would finally just plow in from the side and get penalized for it.

DickEmery posted:

Next, sort out the clusterfuck that is "dummy runners" in midfield please.
It's like crossing never existed.

I don't mind the dummy runners really - defensive structures now are often so solid that it's one of the most effective things that teams can do to add an element of unpredictability to their attack. And really, unless the players are running very closely together even if there is a bit of crossing, it's on a defensive player who likely wouldn't be able to make a tackle on the player receiving the ball anyway.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Was at Ulsters 10-7 win over Ospreys tonight in 80 minutes of shitey cold rain; if it's like this down in Dublin tomorrow Wales-Ireland will be awful.

Ospreys 10 (Morgan?) was really good tonight though, I've a bit of a hardon for running 10's who can cut inside and break the line and he had a really nice step.

I'm hoping Ireland get the win tomorrow, but I'm also hoping that the rain stops so it isn't a borefest.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Was at Ulsters 10-7 win over Ospreys tonight in 80 minutes of shitey cold rain; if it's like this down in Dublin tomorrow Wales-Ireland will be awful.

Ospreys 10 (Morgan?) was really good tonight though, I've a bit of a hardon for running 10's who can cut inside and break the line and he had a really nice step.

Urgh, soooo close :{

I found you some Matthew Morgan "material" for you to peruse, though. It's kind of depressing to think how good he is, because he's never going to be able to compare with Dan Biggar when it comes to selection. They've given him a few games at #13 recently, but the impact he has on the game in that position just doesn't seem like it's worth it over just having a bigger, stronger ball carrier :[

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Tyma posted:

Urgh, soooo close :{

I found you some Matthew Morgan "material" for you to peruse, though. It's kind of depressing to think how good he is, because he's never going to be able to compare with Dan Biggar when it comes to selection. They've given him a few games at #13 recently, but the impact he has on the game in that position just doesn't seem like it's worth it over just having a bigger, stronger ball carrier :[

Ulster were lucky enough in the end, Ospreys looked good in really bad conditions and they were unlucky not to get the win.

I really do love how Morgan runs, he has a step and real outside pace and I'll definitely keep an eye on him in future. Also, I can't confess my love of fancy-dan showboat 10's without posting some Carlos Spencer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8LZgO3QB2k
:fap:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
What the hell was Tebaldi thinking at the end?I'll never understand kicking possession away when the clock's gone past 80.How does a professional rugby player ever have a brainfart strong enough to think that's a good idea in any way?

Darren Cave was pretty good tonight.It's a shame he's not in the Ireland squad,but he should get into it for the summer tour.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I felt like these weren't fully addressed, and they're two of the biggest distinctions from League:

Funkysauce posted:

Yes, it is allowed. HOWEVER, when a runner goes into contact and stays on his feet, if more players join it becomes a maul, which is sort of like a scrum and sort of like a standing ruck. The attacking team, as long as their players are bound together, can pass the ball back in their train of players, and the other team has the same offside rules as at a ruck - i.e. they CANNOT strip the ball by running into the side and grabbing it, but instead must drive the maul back, head-on.

Also, stripping the ball when a player is tackled IS allowed, BUT who can strip and when is very complicated and different depending on the referee. Moreover, if a ruck is formed, NO ONE who is inside the ruck can use their hands - but they can use their feet.

Funkysauce posted:

Partly safety and partly playability, to encourage strong scrummaging. If your team's forwards are total studs and keep knocking my team down, you get awarded a penalty for being awesome/my team gives up a penalty for being poo poo. The trick is to intentionally collapse the scrum in such a way that it looks like the other team's fault, but referees are wiser to that than they were a few years ago.

Funkysauce posted:

Sorry, that's it for now! Also, not that anyone cares but my cousin in Rome plays rugby, he says a lot of kids his age in Italy are picking it up. He's 16 and built like a forward (as much as Italians can be). When I was a kid it was all association football and volleyball.

Fantastico!

I lived in Italy for a year in high school, my host-father was a rugby coach and his son played. My introduction to rugby consisted mostly of Italy losing a bunch in the 2003 Six Nations, but now I always pull for Italy against anyone but the USA.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The Canadian Sevens side has a guy called Johnny Moonlight. I can't think of much more to add to that.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vagabundo posted:

The Canadian Sevens side has a guy called Johnny Moonlight. I can't think of much more to add to that.

What the Canadians lack in talent,they make up for in great names.The Ospreys have Tyler Ardron and Jeff Hassler.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Canadians had the coolest lineout in the 2011 world cup. Not-straight 10 metre NFL pass :rock:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
There are a lot of tries awarded in Sevens without the ball actually being grounded. Also I think the commentators must be IRB paid because they never ever question a refereeing call even when it's blatantly incorrect.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New Zealand are tackling South Africa into the ground. 21-0 to NZ, 3:30 to go in the 2nd half.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wales/Ireland just about to start, go Wales I guess!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good to see Ireland playing more like Leinster. First half last week was weak and hesitant

E: OW :pwn:

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 8, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Haha, gently caress off O'Driscoll, you whiny crybaby.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Wales are making so many little mistakes :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a pretty great try by Ireland!

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ireland playing some nice rugby so far! Both sides are giving away silly penalties, could swing either way unless Ireland kill it off soon.

Good to see Trimble having a good game after being dropped from the squad last year.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sexton's kicking has been fantastic today

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Smart, territory orientated rugby from Ireland. Schmidt has obviously learnt from last year where Ireland played a high tempo possession game that blew teams away in the first 50 or so minutes, but would then fade dramatically in the last 30.

He might have played differently if SOB, Bowe, Zebo etc. were fit. But if you've got Trimble and the Kearneys in the back three who are good kick chasers; POM, Heaslip, Henry and Best to win turnovers; and Toner and POC to put pressure on a dodgy Welsh lineout it makes sense to play for territory and not value possession so highly.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 8, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
God I loving hate Keith Wood

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Please make Sam Warburton go away :[

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ireland still look like they're lacking big ball carriers but they're making it work, the line out has been brilliant so far.

Is that the first completed scrum?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
loving hellll this is getting comically bad now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Answers Me posted:

loving hellll this is getting comically bad now

Well the rain isn't going to do anybody any favors. I think we've probably seen the best of this game now.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I might try shove into Kay's Bar today to watch our destruction.

Depends on how busy it is.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One more try please lads

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wales actually shitter than last week.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Just listen at that rude young man! 2 Penalty trys, please.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Priestland loves kicking away good ball doesn't he?

There's been a few times I've thought Ireland were looking light outside and he's just kicked it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't shake off this feeling that Barnes is in fact trolling us and he will engineer a win for Wales in the last 10mins

• Locked thread