Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«55 »
How excited are you for the new season?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 83 25.15%
Words cannot express how excited 72 21.82%
Cautiously optimistic 93 28.18%
Not at all excited, my team sucks 82 24.85%
Total: 330 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I do martial arts and eat pizza, I'm basically a ninja turtle.

Love and Spring are in the air!

February 1-21
Salary arbitration hearings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

February 13, 2014
Spring Training opens

(Yes, I know that February 13th is not two weeks away, shut up)

Some other baseball threads:
That thread in Coupons you should click on for MLB on your computer in 2014
Last Month's thread
Offseason Planning Thread
Lurker/Newbie Thread
Hall of Fame Thread
Baseball Photo Archive - A ~goon project~ to collect high quality photos from every era of baseball in one place. Come help out or just to enjoy the pics.
Baseball Card and Memorabilia Thread
SAS MLB Census - Why do you root for that dumb team, anyway?

e: Team coupons/deals/promos thread!

kensei fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2014 around 17:23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

Cautiously optimistic. This bullpen is garbage and the Fister trade sucked.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Catching is a perversion of God's Will

Why is "Really excited, my team sucks" not an option?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Only weeks until high-definition photos of millionaires enjoying weather a billion times better than what I've got.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I was just surfing through 2013 games on mlb.tv and had forgotten how badly the Pirates stomped the Reds in the wildcard game. Then I remember that Choo is with the Rangers now and we are supposedly bringing up Billy Hamilton to replace him in the leadoff spot.

I am excited about the beginning of the season. Not as excited about what Cincinnati has done in the off season. I keep feeling like they are a team that has been almost great for the past few seasons but not great enough.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

After I listen to the first Spring Training game on the radio it is impossible to feel cold until the season is over.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

"If I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear; and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy... do I swear inextinguishable hatred."

Later on in this thread we'll be talking about pitchers and catchers reporting today.

Baseball

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Spoeank posted:

Later on in this thread we'll be talking about pitchers and catchers reporting today.

Baseball

This month the first games will be played! Possibly enough that many like me get sick of it and just want meaningful baseball to start.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

i like to read while i think, your idea is good but its not quite there yet, this plan is getting more filled but still needs alot of planning and work done to it

Crazy excited, even though who loving knows who's going to be pitching for the Rangers besides Darvish and Perez. I just want to see baseballs go over fences and I don't want to see Yu lose 1-0 ever again.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

Hekk posted:

I was just surfing through 2013 games on mlb.tv and had forgotten how badly the Pirates stomped the Reds in the wildcard game. Then I remember that Choo is with the Rangers now and we are supposedly bringing up Billy Hamilton to replace him in the leadoff spot.

I am excited about the beginning of the season. Not as excited about what Cincinnati has done in the off season. I keep feeling like they are a team that has been almost great for the past few seasons but not great enough.

Billy Hamilton is going to strikeout a ton of times.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Rand alPaul posted:

Billy Hamilton is going to strikeout a ton of times.

Yes he is. I mean I know the guy is indescribably fast but that doesn't mean a drat thing when you can't get on base.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002
Never drive a car when you're dead.

Rand alPaul posted:

Cautiously optimistic. This bullpen is garbage and the Fister trade sucked.
Cautiously optimistic. The bullpen is garbage okay I guess but the Fister trade ruled.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how to feel about the Nats. They look even better than last year, but have no bench and I worry about the bullpen. Rumors had them trying to move Storen, who appears to be broken since that last game in '12, and losing faith in Soriano.

Also, the promotional schedule came out the other day. There are seven(!) bobblehead days and a Jason Werth garden gnome day, too! Good or bad this year, guess I'm gonna see'em eight times anyway.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

I honestly have no idea whether the Brewers will suck poo poo again this year or not. I have a hard time believing they'll ever achieve anything above mediocrity again.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 22, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

To connect back tot he previous thread, I am super excited to see what my new ticket design is this year and spend another ten evenings in the bleachers with my dad. I maintain this is the way baseball was meant to be watched.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

A place where powerful dog creatures rained misery and joy on the humans!

Casnorf posted:

Cautiously optimistic. The bullpen is garbage okay I guess but the Fister trade ruled.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how to feel about the Nats. They look even better than last year, but have no bench and I worry about the bullpen. Rumors had them trying to move Storen, who appears to be broken since that last game in '12, and losing faith in Soriano.

Also, the promotional schedule came out the other day. There are seven(!) bobblehead days and a Jason Werth garden gnome day, too! Good or bad this year, guess I'm gonna see'em eight times anyway.

The Nats bench added Nate McClouth, which I think is much better than trotting out Lombardozzi or Moore into left field in case of an injury (Werth in particular hasn't been the healthiest). I guess bench players always have this sort of unpredictable factor, but I'm also cautiously optimistic about how guys will compete for spots. If things really pan out, maybe Danny Espinosa will remember how to hit a baseball again.

At least Zach Duke and Henry Rodriguez are gone. Don't know what a Jerry Blevins is quite yet but I also don't know how Nats expected to get far through the year without more reliable lefties.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

THAT'S MY PURSE I DON'T KNOW YOU!

That boy ain't right...

Twins gonna suck as much as the last 3 years. Hopefully this will be the last terrible season before ~*the prospects*~ finally come up. Yay baseball.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DAMMIT WESLEY!!!

Hard to be excited when your owner is Satan himself and the team hasn't really improved much since last year. We're basing all of our hope on the rookies, which could very well backfire this year since some of them could have bad sophomore years.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

I feel like the White Sox will only win ~75ish games, but I'm pretty excited about the decisions they've made.

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004
Appalachian Hillbilly Dumbass, Fucked in the Head, Needs Help

I'm so loving happy the Pirates blew money on Volquez and lowballing Burnett instead of just giving him a QO.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 22, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

This is random, but I was looking around the internets at overpriced rubble priceless mementos from the Old Yankee Stadium. Apparently, the Good and Gracious Yankee Overlords have smiled upon even you, the lesser fans of subservient teams. For a mere $525, you can have a four foot tarp covered in dirt, stale beer, and probably feces featuring the logo of YOUR team. Of course, to make it worthwhile, it carries that inexorable link to the House That Ruth Built.

Otherwise who cares about your lovely team and their lovely logo?

http://www.steinersports.com/toront...ee-stadium.html

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

The tastiest goal I've ever scored!

I'm excited for the new season, even though the Giants might still be their 2013 selves.

Baseball will forever remain my first true sports love.

Abel Wingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Cubs are going to win like 73 games and bring up one or two of the prospects. I'm perfectly fine with that. Next year...

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

bradzilla posted:

Twins gonna suck as much as the last 3 years. Hopefully this will be the last terrible season before ~*the prospects*~ finally come up. Yay baseball.

The Curse of the Fourteen Black Spruces.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Even though the White Sox stink, I'm still excited to see Sale, Eaton, Davidson, Abreu, Semien (if he can win the 2B job), and Erik Johnson.

Probably the most excited I've been in a while.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

Next year...

Went to the home opener 2 years ago against the Nationals. Guy yelled this at the end of the 7th inning and it was all too true.

Also I'm really really excited for MLB 14 The Show on PS4, they are modelling THOUSANDS of individual hairs! Gonna be mashin' dingers with Anthony Rizzo all year. To bad Launch Ballman isn't in this year, I would love to see that mullet waving around.

Popete fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2014 around 16:56

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I mean, it's pretty much a given that every single Cubs prospect is going to bust horribly or look really good for a season and then get mangled by wolves or something.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Here stands baseball's perfect warrior.

Here stands baseball's perfect knight.

Who cares about your bad teams' prospects when we should be talking about Tracy McGrady pitching for the Sugarland Skeeters and allegedly throwing 90+

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...baseball-a-try/

ayn rand hand job
Sep 10, 2008

'Cause she's so high
      High above me,
       she's so lovely

- Everclear

R.D. Mangles posted:

I mean, it's pretty much a given that every single Cubs prospect is going to bust horribly or look really good for a season and then get mangled by wolves or something.

Come on. This is baseball.

Horrible mascot accident.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Who cares about your bad teams' prospects when we should be talking about Tracy McGrady pitching for the Sugarland Skeeters and allegedly throwing 90+

e: or rather

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

I hope this somehow ends in McGrady striking out Big Papi to win the World Series

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"He's a great baker. He's Betty Crocker. He makes the best peanut butter cookies ever."

I'm cautiously optimistic for the Yankees, which seems to be a rarity given the amount of dirt already shoveled on their grave.

However, at this point I just want baseball. Give me one of those interminable mid-season games between two teams nobody cares about where even the announcers are checked out and not paying attention, please.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

SAVE IT NERDS

For the Rays I'm hella excited, I'm a pretty big fan of what they did this offseason aside from a few things (the Torres trade, re-signing Loney was questionable but 1B FAs were trash this year so eh) and sentimentally I'm thrilled they kept Price. As for the Cubs

R.D. Mangles posted:

yeah that

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Royals DFA'd Emilio Bonifacio. Hoping the Dodgers pick him up given their utter lack of infield depth.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

SAVE_US.CHR

R.D. Mangles posted:

Believe in Kris Bryant! Everyone else? yeah, probably.

Scott Gomez Addams
Feb 10, 2008

This was supposed to be a huge year for the Mets, but a certain injury obviously has pushed that back a little bit.

If they can end the year with a record around .500 it's probably a sufficient step forward.

ozymandius1024
Mar 14, 2006

Santa Cam bringing fake smiles for all the good little boys and girls

Declan MacManus posted:

I hope this somehow ends in McGrady striking out Big Papi to get out of the first round

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Believe in Kris Bryant! Everyone else? yeah, probably.

To be traded for one Carlos Marmol.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kris Bryant will wash out of the majors within 4 years.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

SAVE_US.CHR

R.D. Mangles posted:

Kris Bryant will wash out of the majors within 4 years.

Don't crush my hopes and dreams of having one good player on the team, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

can't stop
won't stop
ing

I'm pretty sure that the Pirates' process of acquiring an aging, all glove backup catcher and the corpse of Edison Volquez, while simultaneously not extending a QO to arguably the best starting pitcher on the team last season or addressing the glaring hole at first base, are the kind of genius moves that will really put them over the top this year. Buc Lyfe 2014.

«55 »