Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Background

Long Live the Queen is a hybrid between a visual novel and raising sim created by British developer Hanako Games. It was originally released via the developer's website on June 2nd, 2012, and later on Good Old Games. On November 9, 2013, it was released on Steam through Steam Greenlight, and it received a major patch adding new content.

Long Live the Queen follows a 14 year old princess named Elodie. The player decides her classes and what decisions she makes. You need to both choose good classes and make good decisions in order for Elodie to make it to coronation. The game has gained notoriety for its deceptive nature. Despite it's cutesy art style, the game is brutally unforgiving and has some darker plot points.

The Lets Play

I will allow the thread full control over which classes Elodie will take. The thread will also control the visual novel style choices made. In order to keep the LP moving at a decent speed, I may ask for votes for the next week's class/weekend schedules ahead of times when I deem it necessary. Voting will close everyday at 4 PM EST.

If Elodie fails, we will start again from the beginning. If we get more than 3 failures, I will allow the thread to use saves to back up a few weeks and work for a different skill. After the game is beaten, I will start 2 more playthroughs where I'll show off a couple of interesting paths. The thread can vote for which two I will show.

:siren:Thread Rules:siren:

1) Absolutely no spoilers. No links to spoilers. No spoilers behind spoiler tags. No vague hints. Nothing.

Edit: Now that we are nearing the end of the LP, anything that hasn't been shown can be discussed with spoiler tags.

2) Remember, this isn't FYAD. Fan art for the game is fine, but don't post anything :nws:. Don't post links to anything NWS either.

3) Don't do anything else against the Let's Play thread rules.

4) All votes must be in bold. If it isn't in bold, then your vote doesn't count.

5) You change your votes by editing your post, unless it is less than an hour from the time voting closes, in which case you can make a comment about you changing your vote. If you make a comment about changing your vote before that time, the announcement can not be in bold, and you need to edit your original post.

Week 0

Playthrough 1

Weeks 1 - 3 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Weeks 4 - 8 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6

Weeks 9 - 11 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Weeks 12 - 15 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Weeks 16 - 21 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8

Weeks 22 - 24 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Weeks 25 - 28 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7

Playthrough 2 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Playthrough 2.1 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15 Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19

Part 20 Part 21 Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26

Playthrough 3

Weeks 1 - 3

Weeks 4 - 6

Weeks 7 - 9

Weeks 9 - 10

Weeks 10 - 12

Weeks 12 - 15

Weeks 15 - 17

Week 17 Part 2

Week 17 Part 3

Week 17 Part 4

Week 18

Weeks 19 - 20

Weeks 20 - 21

Weeks 21 - 24

Week 25

Weeks 25 - 28

Weeks 28 - 29

Weeks 29 - 32

Week 33

Week 33 part 2

Playthrough 3.1

Week 33

Week 34

Week 34 - 35

Week 36

Week 37

Week 37 Part 2

Week 38

Week 39

Week 40

Bonus Series 1 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Disney/Game of Thrones Elodie - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Bonus Series 2 - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Hella Yuri Playthrough by Feinne

Evil Elodie Moments - Part 1 (Alternate ending to Part 1 by Pittsburgh Lambic) Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 by Bookworm

Adventures with Briony - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 - by zonohedron

Bonus Scene with MegaZeroX

Pretty Princess Dress Up Time by yamiaainferno

Elath Succession Crisis - Alternate Decisions by yamiaainferno

Duel with Banion by yamiaainferno

Marrying Ancient by zonohedron

"Sailor Briony" by Princey

Talarist Squid Poem Epilogue by miasmacloud

Angering Talarist by MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Elodie's potential Classes

Royal Demeanor

Composure: The ability to bear pain, fear, and surpise without flinching

Elegance: The ability to be beautiful and dignified under any circumstances

Presence: An aura of confidence and command

Conversation

Public Speaking: The ability to use words well under pressure

Court Manners: Proper etiquette for all situations

Flattery: The ability to tell someone what they want to hear

Expression

Decoration: Drawing, painting, arranging flowes, dressing well

Instrument: Skill with musical instruments such as the harp and flute

Voice: The skill of singing beautifully

Agility

Dance: Knowing the steps and carrying them out with grace

Reflexes: The ability to respond quickly to surprises

Flexibility: The ability to stretch and contort without pain

Weapons

Swords: The ability to use a blade both for formal duels and deadly force

Archery: The ability to strike a target at range

Polearms: The ability to wield a long taff or ceremonial weapon

Athletics

Running: Ability to move swiftly and surely across land

Climbing: Scaling ropes, rocks, and walls

Swimming: Endurance and speed when crossing water

Animal Handling

Horses: Riding and grooming

Dogs: Training, hunting

Falcons: Training, hunting

History

Novan History: Notable events and locations within this domain

Foreign Affairs: Notable events and relationships between ths domain and its neighbors

World Hitory: Long-term information about the world in general

Intrigue

Internal Affairs: What the nobles and other citizens are up to

Foreign Intelligence: What other countries are up to

Ciphering: Learning ot read and write secret information

Medicine

Herbs: Knowledge of helpful and harmful plants

Battlefield Medicine: First aid, dealing with immediate injuries

Poison: Ability to recognize and counteract dangerous substances

Economics

Accounting: Treasury, profits, and expenditures

Trade: How goods are bought and sold between locations

Productions: National resources and how they are made into goods

Military

Strategy: The skill of achieving victory on land

Naval Strategy: The skill to achieve victory at sea

Logistics: Being able to move troops and supplies in a timely fashion

Faith

Meditation: Finding and maintaining your own inner piece

Divination: Interpreting signs from nature of what the future might hold

Lore: The magical history of Nova

Lumen

Sense Magic: The ability to detect mystical power at work

Resist Magic: Defense against mystical powers

Wield Magic: Knowledge and control of your own magical powers

Mood Boxes

:siren:Minor Spoilers unless caught up with the let's play:siren:

Profiles

Official Art

Fan Art

Creator: Hyper Crab Tank

Creator: Super Jay Mann

Creator: Shaezerus

Creator: Bro Enlai

Creator: Zonohedron

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

This is the title screen. The checklist shows the different things you have done, and "bonus" has some art in it. For now, let's just hit "start game."

I know it's hard to leave your school and all your friends, but I've arranged the best possible tutors for every subject. You'll have to work hard this year to prepare yourself before your fifteenth birthday, but I know you can do it. You'll learn quickly and you'll make a wonderful queen. It's what your mother would have wanted.

This is not what Mother would have wanted!

She wouldn't have wanted to die and leave me.

No. She wouldn't. But sometimes bad things happen. We have to pick up and carry on. All of Nova depends on us. On you.

*sigh*

I will be here to guide you until your coronation, but the decisions you make are ultimately up to you. Come. Your maids are waiting.

I'll let the tutorial explain the basic mechanics.

You will be controlling Elodie, the almost-Queen of Nova, as she tries to prepare for her coronation. To do that, she needs to take classes every week in order to raise her Skills. The skills she learns will provide different choices in the ongoing plot. Learning the right skills can mean the difference between life and death! You also need to keep an eye on Elodie's Mood. With her mother's tragic death, Elodie is not very happy right now. The Mood button will take you to the emotions screen for more details.

Elodie's current mood affects her ability to learn. It will give her a bonus to some skills and a penalty to others. Let's take a look at the Skills screen now.

Every week, Elodie can study two skills. Normally, she earns 2 points in a skill for every weekday that she studies. So if she studies History, she will earn 2 points x 5 days = 10 points. Because Elodie is depressed, she has a -2 penalty to the Social skillset Conversation. She doesn't feel like talking to people right now. If she studies Conversation, she will earn 2 - 2 points per day: that is, 0 points! However, she has a +1 bonus to the Expression skillset. If she studies one of the Expression skills, she will earn 2 + 1 points per day. Which means 3 points a day, 15 points for the week. If you study a skill you have a penalty for, you could be wasting your time and not learning anything. If you study a skill you have bonuses for, you will learn much faster than normal. All of these bonuses and penalties will change when Elodie's mood changes. She can also gain bonuses to skills by studying related skills. Check the skills screen every week to see your current bonuses! Once you know your mood, skills, bonuses, and penalties, you are ready to choose your classes for the week.

Choose a class option for both Morning and Evening classes, then click the 'Done' button which will appear in the lower-right corner. As you play through the story, you will sometimes see feedback bubbles appearing over the text. These tell you what's happening behind the scenes.

This feedback is very helpful in figuring out different options to try! But if you don't want to see it, you can turn
the bubbles off in the Preferences menu. Now, get ready to become a Queen!

Thanks tutorial! The tutorial didn't mention everything, so I'll cover the gaps.

This is the screen you will see when preparing for the next week. It is the only place where we can check Elodie's skills, assign her classes, and change her outfits.

This is the full list of skills Elodie can learn.

This is the full class selection system. You first select a set of skills (such as royal demeanor), and then select the specific skill (such as composure). Elodie can choose one AM class, and one PM class. Whether a class is AM or PM does sometimes matter, because a skill can't be raised above 50 until all of the other skills in the set are at 25 or higher. So, if you wish to raise a skill that is at 50 (or very close to it), you should raise your other skills in the set to 25. If you raise the last skill to 25 in the AM class, you can then raise the skill at 50 in the PM one.

Here we can change Elodie's outfit. Right now all we have is her boarding school uniform, but that will change. These outfits increase all stats in a skill set by 10. You unlock outfits in the same way you unlock the skill cap of 50; by getting 25 or more points of each skill in a set.

There is also a Log option. This allows you to see all dialogue that has been said and what choices you made. Neat! This is has been especially useful for creating this screenshot let's play.

Vote for what skills (or skill sets) you want to increase! Choose 2, and explicitly state which is for the AM Class, and which is for the PM Class. In this game, doubling up is often a good strategy, so it needs to be set up this way. You can find the in game description of each class in the second post.

Voting is closed!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 10, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I could never play this game because I would always turn into a save scumming tard instead of just taking the deaths as they came. I'm looking forward to plenty of fuckups.

For now I'd say level up Dogs in the AM and PM.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Recently bought this game and played a couple of hours through it, really fun game but I agree that it's really unforgiving.

I'll vote for Novan History in the Morning and Military Strategy in the Evening.

(Also, Economics is misspelled in the 2nd post) fixed

French Accent fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 1, 2014

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Elodie's depressed; let her sit in her room and write emo songs about her dead mom all week. Instrument in the morning then Voice in the evening.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I'll vote for double medicine the hands of a queen are the hands of a healer

Edit:
Let's start with herbs for both of them as knowing the proper herbs to numb (or kill) are the basis for the other two

dereku fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dereku posted:

I'll vote for double medicine the hands of a queen are the hands of a healer

What type of medicine though? You need to differentiate between Herbs, Battlefield Medicine, and Poison.

Update: I didn't really think about how spread out the votes would be. I'm going to institute a point system. Points are assigned like this:

1) You can still vote for any specific subject, which gives that subject +2 points for the skill.

2) You can vote for skill set instead (ie, Intrigue) and all skills it contains will be given +1 point.

3) Voting for a specific skill will give all of the other skills in the set +.3 points automatically.

4) Voting for anything in a category (social, physical, etc.) gives skills in the category +.1 point automatically.

This should change little for you guys. You can now vote on a skill or skill set. The rest of it is just mechanical calculations on my end.

This may need to be balanced somewhat. If you have any suggestions, run it by me!

French Accent posted:

(Also, Economics is misspelled in the 2nd post)

Fixed

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 24, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Foreign Affairs because those who don't learn about the past are doomed to get totally thrown in prison or beheaded, and Falcons because why would you not?

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Put my vote toward Dogs and Divination. I actually liked this game quite a bit. It's actually a lot more challenging than you'd think. It's really unforgiving if you want to actually "win."

Mr. Kettleman
Apr 17, 2013

Major Lame-Ass
I got to lay my vote down for double Dogs! Every aspiring queen needs an animal buddy, and what's more trusty and awesome than a dog? This game is fairly ridiculous fairly quick, can't wait to see how this all turns out.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Accounting and Battlefield Medicine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Kettleman posted:

This game is fairly ridiculous fairly quick, can't wait to see how this all turns out.

It's remarkably satisfying to create Teenage Anime Stalin.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Dogs and Novan History

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's kind of weird when a character has multiple lines (with the same expression), you double-space them. It breaks the flow and looks the same as the narration/your commentary, so at first look it's hard to distinguish it. Character dialogue can mostly stay without linebreaks unless their expression changes.

Voting Dogs and Poison. Because dogs. And poison is fun.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

OK. I changed the dialogue spacing. I broke it up that way because that is how the lines are broken up in the game with the dialogue boxes. It somewhat felt like it was just a big run on when I put it all in one chunk.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2014

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Mother just died?

Horribly depressed?

Clearly the solution is long, boring sessions of studying Economics(x2) to take her mind off of things.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Intrigue - Internal Affairs and Medicine - Poison to better deal with rebellious subjects.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Dogs and Internal Affairs is the way to go.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Accounting and Trade. I want to see a queen who actually knows what the gently caress money is.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
When you're depressed, the best thing is to play with your Dogs and Horses

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'm going to go ahead and vote for Accounting and Production for the same reason as a few posts above me. I want to see a queen that knows something about the economy!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Accounting and Trade. I want to see a queen who actually knows what the gently caress money is.

Given how Elodie's stats start, she may literally not know what it is right now.

"I-I thought you just asked for things and servants brought them?"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Given how Elodie's stats start, she may literally not know what it is right now.

"I-I thought you just asked for things and servants brought them?"

I have to wonder what they were teaching her at the boarding school. Was it basically an overgrown daycare center for the children of nobles and the grotesquely wealthy, rather than an actual school where people get actual educations?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 2, 2014

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Weapons. Double weapons. Let's see this princess kick rear end.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, this game's basically princess maker, right?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, this game's basically princess maker, right?

Princess Maker with a plot, basically.

Anyway, since the last LP of LLtQ went full :parrot:, I'll cast my votes for Intrigue and History off the bat.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Depressed while mother just died? The easy solution to that is doubling down on FAITH! :catholic:
It'll turn her into a zealot, that'll open up some paths at least \/:shobon:\/

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've played some of this game, and I remember wanting to get agility a lot. After that, faith.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I have to wonder what they were teaching her at the boarding school. Was it basically an overgrown daycare center for the children of nobles and the grotesquely wealthy, rather than an actual school where people get actual educations?
I give the game some benefit of the doubt in that everyone was assuming she'd have several years to learn this poo poo, but her mom's death threw everything for a loop. Emphasis on "some" - there are things she really ought to know by now but doesn't, like basic court manners, what money is, and some of the history of her country.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

As far as I can tell in this game, Elodie was not expected to have to assume the crown for a very long time and it turns out that her handlers were bad at planning for contingencies. I assume the curriculum at boarding school would have covered much of Elodie's forthcoming education over a period of a few years. As it is our princess can read, write, perform simple math and speak the local language without immediately embarrassing herself. Baby steps! (oh poo poo, what's in this falcon? Poison?)

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Dogs and Decoration.

Nothing says "coping with loss" like dressing up your dog in hilarious outfits.

Jackster
Nov 10, 2012
Divination and Ciphering.

Maybe our dead mother is trying to communicate with us, we have to find out!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have already watched a full playthrough of this game, so I'll abstain from voting; I will, however, follow this thread and comment on what happens.

People that have never played this will understand just how shamefully ignorant the princess is, as Haifisch says, once she gets her first lesson and we find out what she learns from it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Princess Maker with a plot, basically.

Anyway, since the last LP of LLtQ went full :parrot:, I'll cast my votes for Intrigue and History off the bat.

There was a previous LP of LLTQ? It isn't in the Master List. What exactly happened?

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

There was a previous LP of LLTQ? It isn't in the Master List. What exactly happened?

It went quite well, here's the link; it still hasn't slipped into archives.
Link removed.

sureaboutthatthing fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 2, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

^
OK. Can you remove the link for now though? I had presumed it was a failed LP, because the Master List usually mentions ongoing and recently finished Lets Plays too. Since it wasn't, I don't really want it linked to yet as it contains spoilers. Obviously, whoever clicked on the link would know that, but the thread rules still need to be observed. Removed

Also, the 3rd music link is now fixed. I didn't realize it wasn't working. As it turns out, I accidentally uploaded it as a .wav file.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 2, 2014

kitwew
Jul 23, 2013
Dogs and Voice

Who needs family, when you've got a puppy?!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Dogs and Intrigue. We're out to find out who's really Man's Best Friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MegaZeroX posted:

People kept voting for Falconry in lieu of things like court manners, strategy, weapons, etc. Going into more detail would probably be considered spoiler territory.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2014

• Locked thread