Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Angry with swords flailing everywhere with even more swords. Screw the kid, unload him on your uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Wait-- these states are surely fiefs of ours already, aren't they? There's no need to have a figurehead running something we already own. Why should we marry this kid, exactly? Off to grandfather (or uncle - all this splitting the vote is bad) he goes. We stay angry, and learn angry accounting and angry trade.

E: Switched vote to whatever's the majority non-marriage option like a dirty insert party you dislike here.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Grandfather, sense magic, wield magic.

Also to the people voting swords, don't forget we're already at like 32 swords with no skills in the other two weapons categories. 2x Swords would more less be a waste of a class, since we'd only get 5-6 points before we hit the soft cap of 50.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really enjoyed the implications of the latest classes.

So what are you studying for early classes this week?

Swords!

Being able to protect yourself is-

So I can stab people!

I see... And in the afternoons?

Court manners.

Ah, an excellent choice. I was a bit worried that-

So I know when it's appropriate to stab them!

?

I'll be in the wine cellar.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Grandfather. The kid can't be a good figurehead considering we're already the ruler and he'd be at best a consort. And we need more knowledge. So far, we're ignorant and unprepared of ruling. So we need Accounting and Novan History.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best.

Lets Mary the poor boy, and finish off Internal Affairs so we don't get any more of those taunting partial success messages.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Send him to his grandfather, and do more composure and sense magic

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Not marry him, anything else is fine.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wear the school uniform because it has to have some secret stat boosts.

Research Lasers.

Sockpuppet the kid indirectly through your uncle and execute his stepmother.

Get angrier, go berserk, and scream obscenities at your accounting+production instructor. :black101:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have the urge to turn Elodie into Lizzie Shinkicker from the Princess Maker 2 lp. There has to be a way to make her super evil and want to burn everything.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

ViggyNash posted:

I have the urge to turn Elodie into Lizzie Shinkicker from the Princess Maker 2 lp. There has to be a way to make her super evil and want to burn everything.

I'll be doing that as a bonus at the end.

hieropants
Aug 31, 2012
Archery and polearms, we don't want to hit the weapons level cap.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Sounds like it's time to force the boy into marriage as a political plot to claim regency and control his lands. That's probably why mom married such a lovely dad; she was doing the same thing. Wear your catsuit to the wedding too, to drive home the point that he's just a pawn in your game.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 1, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Sounds like it's time to force the boy into marriage as a political plot to claim regency and control his lands. That's probably why mom married such a lovely dad; she was doing the same thing.

We're the Queen, we already control those lands (or at least their lords swear fealty to us). Also, it's a matriarchy so our future husband will just be expected to stand next to us and look pretty; I don't think it has much political power.

If anything, what's happening is that the kid's family is making a bid to marry into the royal family and gain more power for themselves. We're the one being used here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Send to his gramps so he can learn to be a man.

Become angry to fuel the dark side.

Swords and Polearms to kill assassins.

Cat suit for stealth and monocles.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

We're the Queen, we already control those lands (or at least their lords swear fealty to us). Also, it's a matriarchy so our future husband will just be expected to stand next to us and look pretty; I don't think it has much political power.

Actually, it isn't a matriarchy, it is an absolute cognatic based succession. It is based on who is the oldest to inherit, and who is the closest in blood relations. Gender plays no role.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Grandfather and Archery x2

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Clarste posted:

(or at least their lords swear fealty to us)

That's basically it. Elath is just a vassal state; we can't directly meddle in its administration for our own benefit. Yet.

So the vows are going to go something like this:

quote:

:catholic: Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent by repeating after me: I, Princess Elodie...

I, Princess Elodie...

:catholic: ...take you, Lord Adair...

...take you, Lord -- wait, that's how that's pronounced?

:catholic: ...to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward...

...to be my husband, to raise the census tax on Elath fivefold...

:catholic: ...for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer...

...to launch a series of raids along Shanija's coastline and pin the blame on him, disgracing him as "The Pirate Prince of Nova..."

:catholic: ...in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part.

...in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until I get bored and put a milk viper in his chamberpot when he goes to take a poo poo.

It will be a happy marriage.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The thing is, Elath's succession is a problem: his parents are both dead, there's no mention of any younger siblings, his stepmother controls the neighboring duchy, and we know nothing about his grandfather. (We don't even know if he's Adair's recently-deceased father's father, or his less-recently-deceased mother's father.) So if we're not going to let his stepmother control two duchies at once, we might not want to have his grandfather controlling Adair's duchy either.

(Elath borders Talasse - we'd be having "The Pirate Prince of Nova" raid them, not Shanjia.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Actually, it isn't a matriarchy, it is an absolute cognatic based succession. It is based on who is the oldest to inherit, and who is the closest in blood relations. Gender plays no role.

Then why is Daddy making us do everything? Why is our 15th birthday so important? Surely we wouldn't really become Queen until he dies.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Clarste posted:

Then why is Daddy making us do everything? Why is our 15th birthday so important? Surely we wouldn't really become Queen until he dies.
Titles don't pass to spouses when someone dies, they pass to children (and then the deceased's siblings). There's a reason Joslyn is always referred to as King Dowager instead of just, y'know, King.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

The father doesn't have a blood relation to the crown. The queen was where the noble bloodline was, and Joslyn was just her husband. He has no claim to the throne, but is regent until Elodie comes of age (her 15th birthday). It was common to have regents in the middle ages (and in classical and ancient times). Obviously there is an issue if the heir is a child, so family members would often rule until whenever the heir reaches the age the culture considered them an adult.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess I was thinking in terms of property instead of titles. I knew about regents, but I usually assumed them to be when both parents died, and it would be like an uncle or something.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
I voted for angry previously and I'm sticking with it. archery x 2 and send him to Arisse

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grandfather and Novan History x2.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Send him to his grandfather and take Archery x 2 to avoid the level cap in Weapons. Wear the catsuit.

Also, MegaZeroX, are you certain the outfits don't affect the rate at which we learn skills? Because they're giving us a +1.00 to their respective modifiers on the Skills list.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Full list of Things we know at this point in time

New things we’ve just learnt

Skills posted:

Resist Magic

10: You increase your awareness of your own thoughts and emotions, making it more difficult for more-affecting magic to twist your reactions.
20: You learn to consciously project a magical field through your thoughts, blocking outside magic from touching your mind – but only when you have the energy to consciously resist.

30: You gain innate resistance to light and dark – you can now see in the blackest caves or stare into the sun without going blind.

40: You learn to consciously project a magical shield around your body, blocking intrusion; a powerful technique, but you can’t keep it up for long.

50: You gain increased resistance against heat and cold, becoming comfortable in different weather and environments (and able to sip hot soup without burning your tongue!)

Naval Strategy

10: You learn that the sea is not something you hold, it is something you travel across. Naval strategy ensures you free travel while denying it to your enemies.

Swords

30: You drill with a partner, attacking and blocking in carefully timed patterns.

Internal Affairs

What you learned from King-Dowager Joslyn aka Elodie’s father: After Fabian (Earl of Titan and Duke-Regent of Elath) passes away, the heir is young Lord Adair, who will not reach his fifteenth birthday for over two years. His step-mother is Arisse the Duchess of Lillah. The Duchies of Lillah and Elath are neighbouring territories.

What you learned from a failed Novan History check in Week 22: Lillah and Elath comprise almost the entire eastern border of the Kingdom of Nova.

What you learned from a partially successful Internal Affairs check in Week 22: Duchess Arisse’s previous husband was supposed to be a nasty piece of work. He may even have attacked Adair’s mother before her untimely death. He’s gone now, of course, but she (Duchess Arisse) is still the sort of woman who married a monster.

What you learned from King-Dowager Joslyn aka Elodie’s father: Lord Adair has a living grandfather, the Earl of Ishtar.

Skill Checks posted:

Week 20
Sense MagicSkill Level 27.3 was not enough to pass
Choosing “Imprison” => The self-proclaimed demon-possessed murderer escapes during the next week, together with other “dangerous criminals”

Week 22
Novan HistorySkill Level 27.3 was not enough to pass
Internal AffairsSkill Level 70.4 was only enough for a partial success

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Can we just finish up our intrigue here, please? Getting only partial successes on these tests is getting irritating.

Intrigue x2. Also catsuit, I guess.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Happy Blue posted:

Send him to his grandfather and take Archery x 2 to avoid the level cap in Weapons. Wear the catsuit.

Also, MegaZeroX, are you certain the outfits don't affect the rate at which we learn skills? Because they're giving us a +1.00 to their respective modifiers on the Skills list.

I'm certain. The bonuses are from learning the skills enough. When you take a class, you give a bonus to the skill set. The more classes in the set you take, the bigger the bonuses get. From all of the time I spent in the game, the outfits have never gotten a learning bonus.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The bonuses are equal to the skill level in each of the three skills, not counting the costume, divided by 100, and then plus or minus any applicable bonuses or maluses. So in the latest all-our-skills image, we had 70.4, 52.4, and 37.2 in the various Intrigue skills, and our intrigue bonus was 1.60. We're wearing the Lumen outfit, so our three Lumen skills are increased by 10 each, but the bonus is nevertheless 1.37: 37.3+69.8+59.5-30 = 136.6.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm adding a new system where you can vote to not do something. I will elaborate at the end of the next update.

Choice

Send him to his grandfather: 9

Marry him: 8

Send him to your uncle: 2

Leave him with Arisse: 2

Outfit

Catsuit: 3

Magical Girl: 1

Boarding School Uniform: 1

Classes

Swords: 12

Archery: 8

Novan History: 4

Accounting: 4

Sense Magic: 3

Dogs: 2

Internal Affairs: 2

Polearms: 2

Intrigue: 2

Composure: 1

Court Manners: 1

Trade: 1

Wield Magic: 1

Production: 1

Winners

Send him to his grandfather

Catsuit

Swords

Archery

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

As you wish.

It will take Elodie 3 weekends to get angry, presuming no mood changes from the story get in our way. She will be willful in the interim.

You visit the royal treasury and check your available funds. You have nine thousand, seven hundred and forty-five gold lassi and thirty-one silver tilassi.

(Which means money.)

Musician: Your Royal Highness! If you accept me as a member of your court I will immortalise you in word and song. I have dabbled in musical styles from many countries, and can entertain your guests and lighten your evenings.

(Musicians are often used as secret agents and messengers. They can be useful - and dangerous.)

The musician sings a little ditty to demonstrate her skills with the lute.

(She's actually pretty good.)

The game doesn't make this clear, but the "Hire her as court musician" option really means hire her as a musician. Since the music was good, Elodie doesn't think the woman is an agent. :downs:

While it won't affect this choice, you can now vote to not do something. It will essentially subtract a vote from the option's total. If you do this, you can't vote for something in the same category. Also, you can't vote to not do more than one thing. Using last week's vote as an example:

Bad: Let's not marry Aldair, and instead send him to Arisse.

Bad: Let's not marry Aldair and not send him to our uncle.

Good: Let's not marry Aldair.

Vote for the same things as always.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 1, 2014

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
This rhymes are getting lonely
So hire her or give me a pony
Speaking of which train some horses
Resist magic should be among our courses

((Please don't give me a pony))

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Reject her. Come the gently caress on, Elodie.

e: Oh, uh, also Falcons and Resist Magic

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Lets hire her, see where this goes.

Also, lets train... horses and ciphering.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Reject her, and study Foreign Affairs and Accounting.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Let's hire her - we didn't invest in the book machine or the sick person house, and we didn't hire extra guards, so we have money to spend!

Also let's study sense magic and then more sense magic.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Reject her cus she probably sucks at music and wants us dead.

Whatever we have a bonus too, I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Reject and eject! We probably shouldn't keep a possible agent around who isn't at all loyal to us. Double up on archery.

• Locked thread