Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Phobophilia posted:

Okay, I get pretending that your back is against the wall, making the eunuchs say something stupid, start a revolution in a neighbouring nation so you have an actual power base.

But the Knights of the Round joining the school is just too much.

Don't worry, it doesn't get weirder or more over the top than that, just keep pushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just watched the Student Council President start a loving riot and one of the Knights ramming a robot hand through a wall, and a Chekov's gun just an extra gun and is going to wipe all of Lelouch's progress clean.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I just watched the Student Council President start a loving riot and one of the Knights ramming a robot hand through a wall, and a Chekov's gun just an extra gun and is going to wipe all of Lelouch's progress clean.

Yes 12 is the best episode of R2, you're right.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
You know, I kinda wished Valvrave had worked so that Code Geass wouldn't be the only not-Gundam thing that's had success for Sunrise. Like, as bad as Valvrave was, I genuinely think things are set up well for a sequel in that. Shoko is at least more interesting than Haruto, and there's still bad guys roaming about, and stuff that was meant to be explained but never was, and also I wanted Akira to pair up with Shoko :(

But on a more relevant note, I would indeed approve of Sunrise throwing their hands up and going all 'okay we're making a show after Code Geass and there's someone mysteeeriously like Lelouch hamming it up but we'll decide who he actually is once we're halfway into the show and the fans have a unifying theory we can take' because I feel like that's how Sunrise operates. You've gotta admit that it seems like they only actually write the first half of the show and then read someone's fanfic for the rest. Still, Code Geass revels in ridiculousness, and making a weird sequel to Geass would probably be more profitable than anything else they put out, sooooo

...for once I want Sunrise to actually plan everything out before starting a show. Buddy Complex almost succeeded but they're setting that up for an R2 as well :(

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

You know, I kinda wished Valvrave had worked so that Code Geass wouldn't be the only not-Gundam thing that's had success for Sunrise. Like, as bad as Valvrave was, I genuinely think things are set up well for a sequel in that. Shoko is at least more interesting than Haruto, and there's still bad guys roaming about, and stuff that was meant to be explained but never was, and also I wanted Ao

To be fair, there's also Tiger & Bunny and at least a couple of other things that could be classified as non-Gundam successes from Sunrise. You're still right in that Valvrave has a more sequel-friendly setup though, all things considered, given everything they've left open. It's just highly doubtful we'll ever get to see any more of that show.

On the other hand, I'm actually glad Sunrise isn't taking the obvious route you've outlined. Not that I'm incapable of enjoying ridiculous things, far from it, but I'm also a fan of balance. The current ending has the benefit of working both ways, in my opinion. We don't know what the future will bring, but I think there's still other options to keep making Geass money -including using Lelouch- without necessarily making such a direct sequel. There's a lot of weird ideas that would work best in alternate universes, for instance, and you could ostensibly go crazier without any continuity baggage.

I'd say Buddy Complex is mostly a case of keeping to a simple formula. Perhaps too simple to be exciting, arguably, yet it's relatively okay so far.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess on the bright side, outside of the time travel stuff Buddy Complex has been really derivative of Gundam so it's not like it's a huge loss if the writers go crazy for season two.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can honestly say a series starring Shoko is one of the few things I'd like less than Geass starring Suzaku. In part because I've read Geass starring Suzaku. Like, pretty much the entire Valvrave cast was bad (except THUNDAH) but Shoko might have been the absolute worst.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
At least Shoko, like...did stuff, she leapt forward all 'sure I will be the prime minister of Worst Idea-istan' and is generally pretty proactive. She and L-Elf would make badass nation builders, with her handling the diplomatic stuff and L-Elf in covert operations, especially if they worked together in the crazy Geass-like plans that were supposed to happen had the writers not completely forgotten about actually using the whole body swapping thing.

Plus, you know, she's in the main Valvrave, and I am reasonably sure Sunrise designs these shows around the robots first and the people in them secondary.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I just finished a rewatch of season 1 and drat are those final few episodes good. Geassing Euphie by accident is still probably in the top ten of dumbest anime moments but everything after that is solid gold. Watching Lelouch kill her tears in his eyes then immediately turn around and frame her and by extension all of Britannia as evil incarnated is some loving realpolitik that would make Bismark blush. Top that off with some great battle scenes that show just how much the black knights have grown, from a rag tag group of terrorists to a shitload of ragtag terrorists sweeping up the entire Japanese populace and hellbent on taking Tokyo. Which they drat near do. Then when all the conditions have been cleared as Lelouch would say, everything falls apart, despite his tactical brilliance, because of Nunally's kidnapping, Suzakus release, and Viletta regaining her memory. It's one of the greatest reversals of fortune I've seen, right up there with breaking bad.

I watched the show originally back when I was in high school, right after the first season had finished I believe, and one thing I found interesting was just how jumbled my memories of everything were. I remember being surprised that Sayoko was a black knight in R2 and yet she clearly joins and then even helps disable the Lancelot. I coulda sworn that the mudslide Zero caused was way towards the end of the series and yet it was withing the first ten or so episodes. Relatedly I seriously don't remember Shirley realizing who zero was, was in the first season and yet there it was.

Overall I'd rate the series as a must watch and a must rewatch once you forget all the poo poo that happened like me.
Some final thoughts.

I didn't hate Suzaku nearly as much this time around, hopefully that holds into R2 because I remember liking him a whole lot more in the second season my first time through.

Mao really should've been handled better I realize he's there both to explain some geass poo poo and to show that Suzaku plus Lelouch is an unstoppable combination but having an entire police force unload on you should probably kill you.

I feel like season one at least, works in the school breather episodes better than most animes I've seen, there's usually at least something else going on.

It's a drat shame that Geass only got three model kits.

The Gawain is rad as hell and I'll be sad to see it replaced by the infinitely inferior Shinkirou.

I really wish this show had some more background poo poo. Like why all the Britannian areas are built on giant stilts and at least an attempt to explain energy shields, and sakuradite, and scanning sphere things, and the swords the Lancelot uses and all kinds of other dumb poo poo I kept wondering about.

Lelouch takes way longer than I remember to form the black knights I figured it'd be done by episode three or so but it takes nearly a third of the series to form them.

Watching Lelouch gently caress over the JLF is hilarious. I wonder what Toudou would think if he knew how many comrades of his Zero killed.

The animation in the show was actually really good and it pains me to see more and more shows move away from traditional animation and to CG.

Soon I will be moving into Round 2 and I'm honestly apprehensive. I watched the show more or less as soon as the non speed subs dropped and watching like that is a very different beast than binge watching 5 or so episodes at once. People have different opinions on the matter but watching week to week seems to magnify pacing issues to me and I remember there being a hell of a lot in R2. I also hated the shift to seed style aerial battles from VOTOMS style ground battles. And the endless series of upgrades and custom suits that infested R2. Seriously the show got three kits what the hell was sunrise trying to push. That and all the wasted potential of characters like Xinge or however you spell it. I'll probably post my thoughts on R2 once I'm finished. Hopefully binge watching it will smooth out some of it's issues but I guess we'll see if it's better or worse than I remember. Spoiler alert it'll probably be prefaced with gently caress YOU OUGI. (Not since Wufei has their been a more permabenched character in my Super Robot Wars Games).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
R2 15 down.

Aw, I was hoping that the Emperor would have a cooler motivation, but no, he's just a power mad wizard who wants to live forever. So he's some random guy who used his memory powers to take over an empire, turned it into a source of absolute power, and then goes and tries to steal CC's immortality power as well. Well, he went and took VV's power instead because he's also an impatient rear end in a top hat.

And Nina really is the worse girl. Not only was she designed to be super shrill and annoying and a giant racist, but she's going to nuke Japan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

R2 15 down.

Aw, I was hoping that the Emperor would have a cooler motivation, but no, he's just a power mad wizard who wants to live forever. So he's some random guy who used his memory powers to take over an empire, turned it into a source of absolute power, and then goes and tries to steal CC's immortality power as well. Well, he went and took VV's power instead because he's also an impatient rear end in a top hat.

And Nina really is the worse girl. Not only was she designed to be super shrill and annoying and a giant racist, but she's going to nuke Japan.

You need to post these reactions more often.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
R2 19 down. There's something satisfying about all of Lelouch's chickens coming home to roost, a ton of tension has finally been resolved. And he did kind of win, Schneizel traded the Black Knights Japan for the rest of the planet. Good going Schneizel, you're really loving good at this. He needs to die.

Also I still can't believe Jeremiah's Chekov's gun suddenly boomeranged around into Lelouch's hand.

And Rolo is still worst boy.

Edit: Can I say that Tamaki is totally loving useless? He only wanted a position as Minster of Finance just so he could go and embezzle a shitload of money.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 12, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hahaha, Marianne is back? What the hell is this? Is she going to turn out to be the true bad guy?

Also, Marianne's line about initially suspecting someone to alleviate their suspicion off you (aka acting loyaller than thou) might just be a useful ruse in general.

Edit: STOP TRYING TO PULL OFF INTRUMENTALITY YOU JERKS

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 12, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hahaha, Emperor Lelouch. Movin' up in the world. And Knight of Zero. Was this one giant set up for that one line?

Edit: Welcome back Nunnally.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 12, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Hahaha, Emperor Lelouch. Movin' up in the world. And Knight of Zero. Was this one giant set up for that one line?

I like to think that the entire deal with the Knights having assigned numbers to them was an excuse for that, yes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That last arc (from R2-19 on) is super loving terrible, but at least Lelouch gets to pose more often and wear dumber outfits than ever before. Vote Lelouch for Jojo Part 9 character.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Suzaku's entire character was just to set up his smug as gently caress face when introduced as Knight of Zero.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah it kind of depresses me that Lelouch is losing more and more sympathy as time goes on after he makes it to the big leagues. I've been spoilt that Lelouch dies at the end, and on some level he desires it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I always thought differently about Zero Requiem personally. Up until the end, it always seemed that Lelouch was pretty hesitant and afraid to die even though he had planned it out, and it was Suzaku was the one who kept pushing him and forcing to stick to the plan, because Suzaku has that kind of complex. Like if Lelouch wasn't cornered like he was by Suzaku, I want to say he would have backpedaled into an alternate option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suzaku totally has an impact on Lelouch's choice because Suzaku, even by the end, is basically the only real friend Lelouch has ever had. that said, I don't think Lelouch was ever not going to sacrifice himself, it may have just have taken a different from than it does.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
EDIT: V You know I have no idea if you're kidding or not, but eh. This joke isn't as funny as I thought it was 20 minutes ago anyways.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 13, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Huh, I always thought that posting fanfiction was a bannable offense on SA.

E: ^ haha dude, sorry, I was kidding

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 13, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku totally has an impact on Lelouch's choice because Suzaku, even by the end, is basically the only real friend Lelouch has ever had.

I mean, if you pretend C.C. doesn't exist, yeah, sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Or Milly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The thing is, Suzaku and Lelouch have a longer history together, both as enemies and as allies, which is what makes their friendship more complex. They've arguably seen each other at their respective best and worst states. C.C. became his accomplice and confidant, but for a long time her primary role was simply that of a self-interested observer who was just using Lelouch. Milly wasn't in a bad position at the start, knowing Lelouch and Nunnally were political pawns, but was kept in the dark about too much afterwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, if you pretend C.C. doesn't exist, yeah, sure.

C.C's relationship with Lelouch is many things but they're not friends in the same way Lelouch and Suzaku were. She's more like his partner in crime when she isn't being aloof self-interest or potential love interest.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

C.C's relationship with Lelouch is many things but they're not friends in the same way Lelouch and Suzaku were. She's more like his partner in crime when she isn't being aloof self-interest or potential love interest.

Is she even this? Lelouch doesn't seem to even consider her much of a woman aside from the beginning at a point and she doesn't seem to consider him that way at any point either. Just the crew assumes she is Zero's concubine for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Is she even this? Lelouch doesn't seem to even consider her much of a woman aside from the beginning at a point and she doesn't seem to consider him that way at any point either. Just the crew assumes she is Zero's concubine for some reason.

Totally.

Also goddamn that art style and people trying to kiss is all kinds of hilarious.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes french people do what french people do.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Finally finished. Haha, poo poo was great. Schneizel wasn't as good as I'd hoped to be. But Zero Requiem was everything I'd expected.

And nope, Lelouch is dead for good. Lelouch suddenly appearing with the Code immortality would undo everything he had done and render all the blood on his hands meaningless. And I don't think he could trust himself to not run to Nunnally's side at the first sign of trouble.

As for CC having her Geass partner reset so she couldn't pass on Code? I don't think she really cares for that anymore.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So what is your interpretation of C.C. just lying in a ball of hay and speaking to Lelouch like she spoke to Marianne throughout earlier in the series?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
She's just talking to the ~sky~ because even if he failed to take her Code, he's still ~special~ to her.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

She's just talking to the ~sky~ because even if he failed to take her Code, he's still ~special~ to her.

Well, since they haven't made any sequels your interpretation is the correct one.

I still feel it's a decent hook for a sequel if they decided to go for it.

Though as you say, I don't think Lelouch would seek to come back to life, so he'd at best support a new main character through C.C.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
drat it, this thread got me to re-watch the show.

4 episodes in so far, but I don't really have any good reactions to post. I guess I just remember it too well.

KoB
May 1, 2009
After all this time I only just now got "Knight of Zero."

Lelouch is Zero, Suzaku is his knight, the Knight of Zero :negative:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is a real shame that Lelouch is dead. For if he had lived long enough to have a son then, going by both himself and his father, his son would be the most hilariously over the top character in anime. On a more practical note at the end of season 1 when Charles vi Birannia starts laughing after the tragedy starts, the one he is so proud about is Lelouch right.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It is a real shame that Lelouch is dead.

Or....is he?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

In random Code Geass spin-off news, the Oz manga (Aldrin side) is ending next month. The Oz photo story (Orpheus side) from a different magazine seems to still be continuing, at least for the time being. It's hard to talk about these projects without a proper translation, but it's interesting that they seem to have given some of the less important characters from the anime more attention.

For instance, Monica, the blond Knight of the Round from R2 who talks with Charles for a little while and eventually gets shot down ridiculously quickly, is using an actual custom KMF created as a result of the events of Akito 2. We never actually saw what she was piloting when Suzaku did what Suzaku often does, but I guess this might be a retroactive answer to that question.

Hunt11 posted:

It is a real shame that Lelouch is dead. For if he had lived long enough to have a son then, going by both himself and his father, his son would be the most hilariously over the top character in anime. On a more practical note at the end of season 1 when Charles vi Birannia starts laughing after the tragedy starts, the one he is so proud about is Lelouch right.

Yes, I would think so. On a semi-related note, the Japanese cast used to joke a lot about Fukuyama sounding more and more like Wakamoto as the show went on, which is also pretty appropriate. Like father, like son.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 24, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is an ideal comedy series waiting to happen in just having a show about FukuJun and Sugita being locked in a room to yell and pose at each other about dumb poo poo for 25 minutes or so every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureCyndaquil
May 29, 2014
has anyone built the model kits for the knightmare frames in Akito? I've built Guren, Lancelot, and vincent. curious about the Alexander.