Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I actually watched this over the Christmas period, as I had a couple of long trips going to various friends/family's places for the holiday period. Really enjoyed it.

My main issue with Season 2 is that it literally repeats the formula of Season 1, more or less, with characters dying off ~for real~ to undersign how serious everything has gotten.

I felt like Lelouch's whole reason for fighting could have been better explained too. He literally goes "I just want Nunnally to be able to grow up happy" and never really touches on how their lives in the high school under the wing of the Ashford's seems perfectly good. Hell, its not even like they are outlaws or criminals, they were just presumed dead, and I think just about every royal who isn't Charles is happy to see that Lelouch/Nunnaly is alive until Lelouch massively fucks them over for one reason or another

I still enjoyed it, but those two points niggled at me a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

a) While Lelouch definitely has a more human side, he probably also considers Nunnaly and Kallen better off without him, and thinking he is dead is better then them fretting over the idea he is alive (see the beggining of R2, when Kallen and CC were hunting him down even into obvious ambushes)

b) Suzaku was Lelouch's friend, but he also hated Lelouch for what happened with the Euphinator, theres no way that Suzaku would approve of a plan where Lelouch got off scot free after effectively causing that whole massacre at the first Special Sanction ceremony.

c) I don't see how Lelouch sacrificing his happiness for that of the entire rest of the world who now has a figurehead to rally behind and start a new world with is not "character development" and is cheapened by his surviving. If anything, him allowing himself to die when theres a perfectly viable way for him to live would be a greater sign of lack of development (i.e. grandstanding for no plausible effect) then using the Code to get the result he wants (i.e. the villification of his name being used to unite the world) and live. Lelouch is not a atoning paladin, even with character development, saying he should eat his cake but not have it even though its entirely possible just because he developed as a character makes no sense. You are talking about not character development, but character dumbing down, a universe where Lelouch becomes a sentimental idiot who would rather willingly stab himself on a sword and die then to do the same thing but live.

Of course, this is all based on the idea that he took the Code, but its hardly headcanon based on wanting a character to be alive. Its one of multiple interpretations for the end.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Again, it isn't. It's based off a single reading of a single line without anything else to back it up. Everything about "he took the code" is literally made up out of thin air. Not a single iota of it is shown onscreen or hinted at in interviews or mentioned in errata material or anything. If that isn't headcanon then I don't know what is.

Except the producer (I believe that was Okouchi's role, please correct me if not) has directly said before that there are ambiguos parts to the ending of R2, and that he actually feels there was too much explanation, which makes a rather liberal interpretation of the end actually somewhat reasonable.

quote:

-----Some unresolved mysteries still remain.

Okouchi: From the very beginning, [I/we] never planned on explaining everything. In fact, if you ask me, I think we might have overdone the explanations. While it's undeniable that Lelouch's story has ended with a full stop, the other characters' stories are still on-going, and it's not like the world [of Code Geass] itself has come to an end either. [I/we] didn't want to end it by closing it up for good."

Again, up to interpretation, but putting a full stop in Lelouch's story doesn't sound to me like "He's dead you nerds get over it", but rather a ambigous answer that he won't have a further role in the stories of other characters, which would fit perfectly with a Lelouch who has faked his death and resigned himself to a quiet life.