Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

I hated the dumb power/tech level spikes that occur during R2.

I am of the same opinion and overall didn't really like R2. The upgrades to the Lancelot and Guren were neat, but the first season's ground battles and slightly higher emphasis on tactics rather than just overwhelming power was refreshing.

Though I do like how R2 made Karen the hugest badass in that she was a completely unaugmented person with no magical powers who was able to beat a guy who was cursed to survive basically anything and knew how to use that fact to his advantage. She was hotblooded as hell and easily my favorite character in the series. She and Graham Aker were clearly parallel universe versions of each other, complete with being in love with their respective series' protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ "Get hosed, Suzaku" is basically the secondary theme of Geass, so that wouldn't really be out of the show's character. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who actually liked the guy. There's some part of me that wants to imagine a happy ending for Karen and Suzaku, since they both got kinda screwed, though Suzaku certainly worse.

XboxPants posted:

I agree that makes the most sense, but I can see it going the other way. As you say, he definitely has to die at the end for the story to work, but "death" doesn't have to be literal. Even if he lived on, the human being named Lelouch is gone forever, good as dead. He can never go back to that life. So, rather than taking his survival as "happily ever after" ending, he's accepted a CC's curse of immortality in the same way he's taken on all the hatred from the world. In a way, it's even worse than death; he doesn't get to just escape from his sins, and has to continually suffer indefinitely in a sort of living-purgatory.

I don't think he'd really be suffering if he was immortal, since he'd get to just leave the world to its devices after he set it up. He may be living a lie in that case, but it's not a specific one he's forced into. He could pretty much just do whatever he wants in that case, including take over the world again if he felt it necessary. Faking his death would pretty much mean he gave up little and just had ultimate victory. I agree with others saying Lelouch surviving would cheapen the whole thing. Suzaku is more the one who is screwed by having to keep on living as someone else, with probably only Karen, Lloyd, and Cecile knowing the truth. They both essentially were to give up their freedom as atonement. Lelouch living directly contradicts that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Karen definitely gets skeezed on a lot, but she's awesome enough otherwise to make up for it. Also her body type is pretty much just the standard "Female Code Geass character" body type, so you can't really criticize her specifically for that. But she's a strong enough pilot (as a normal human being, to boot) to fight to a stand still a guy literally cursed to survive and who knows very well how to exploit that.

And Suzaku gets more hate than he deserves. He's a mirror to Lelouch, in that they're both "Ends justify the means" kinds of people, but you don't really get the same window into him that you do into Lelouch. Also his love interests weren't as cool as Lelouch's were. Should've gone after Cornelia, Suzaku!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The China arc is kind of emblematic of the whole second season for me. It's not terribly coherent and feels really tacked on while adding nothing new. There's nothing really new that we get about Lelouch or the black knights, so I wish that the second season had focused more on Suzaku's side instead, giving more of a view into his thoughts and motivations and more characterization of the other knights. Were they all true believers in Britannia (obviously not) or did others have motivations similar to Suzaku's? Also give them a chance to look competent rather than get chumped by the super lancelot later. The conclusion would not have to be changed at all, but they wouldn't have to shoe horn in unnecessary stuff like Rolo or the unfortunate things that happened to Viletta. Also there would have been more Lloyd and Cecille, and that would have been a good thing. And maybe Karen wouldn't have been locked up for 2/3 of the season.

Really I feel worse for Viletta than Karen in terms of how skeezy the show gets with her. She could have been an interesting character and sort of counterpart to Suzaku as an honorary Britannian questioning the system she's part of, but instead she just ends up existing primarily for, well, what you see above.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knightmare frames were so much cooler when they were all ground bound.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I enjoyed R2 a lot more in my second watch, and I was expecting to hate it. The final act is legit good, which helps.

Nothing of value would be lost if they dropped the China arc and the part where Karen is in jail (except the part where she beats the poo poo out of Suzaku).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My hope is that Karen gets to do cool things.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If episode 1 is Lelouche blowing up all the magic uranium so that knightmare technology reverts significantly back to when they were cooler then the show will be off to a great start.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

did anyone even watch the geass ovas, what were they even about aside from skintight fanservice.

Perhaps the same could be said of Code Geass itself...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

The last fight between Kallen and Suzaku was pretty cool since it came down to them scooting around like s1.

It was also cool because it showed Kallen was better than the guy with a curse to survive who knows how to exploit it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zasze posted:

The mechs stopped roller blading and everything started flying and shooting beams at each other is obviously the worst offense of season 2.

Second worst. Karen being in jail for half the season is the worst offense.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The plot point are basically nonsense. I mean frigging Jeremiah Gottwald returns as a cyborg with an anti-geass eyeball only to promptly switch sides and join Lelouch the moment he's caused enough forced drama plot points. Kallen gets randomly shot down so she can be captured for multiple episodes so they can upgrade her robot for no reason. The entire plot just kind of meanders along hitting random points because it's super clear they had "Lelouch the Emperor" in mind as the endgame but not enough content to fill everything leading up to it.

If you liked it that's cool but I found it a large waste of time until the last 3-ish episodes where it finally got back onto the plot it clearly wanted to have. I certainly disliked basically every new character R2 introduced.

I can accept the guren being upgraded while Karen is captive as Lloyd just wanting to make a newer, better robot because that's just who he is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta say I'm not really getting the hate on Viletta. She generally felt more like a victim as a person from the underclass trying to buy into the system than genuinely evil. Interactions between her and Suzaku could have been interesting if they had ever happened, but instead Ohgi happened. He deserves all the hate he gets.

Edit: Hell, I think that was even supposed to be a character element of some of the knights of the round, but I guess there was never a way to write that in.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am not entirely opposed to Kallen/Suzaku.

But then I am also the only person in the world who has some sympathy for Suzaku.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

really you can't "comfortably" ship Suzaku with anyone by the end because he's done something unfortunate all across the board.

I think Cecille still works.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I will fight those who oppose Lelouch X Kallen it is important civilization

What if I oppose it with Kallen x Moving on and finding her own happiness?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah the universe conspires to poo poo on Suzaku pretty badly. Not that that excuses the bad poo poo he consciously does, but he is a pretty sympathetic character, and certainly more so than Lelouche. At least he does have a sort of family with Lloyd and Cecille.

Also keep in mind that the one time he did rebel things turned out incredibly badly. That would have happened anyway and he likely knows that, but that's a rough scar to try to heal.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think there was a commentary or something that hinted that Kallen's older brother was supposed to be alive.

That would have been lame and I'm glad they didn't do it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Command Ant posted:

I want a movie that's entirely about the girl Lelouch controlled into carving a mark into a wall every day.

Orange saved her, in my canon.

Lord Koth posted:

Clearly they're going to make it obvious Marika actually survives her encounter with the SEITEN Eight Elements with these movies.

Who?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 28, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm curious as to what gives us that Kallen in a Chinese Dress. :syoon:

Thirst, primarily.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I guess I was more hoping they get killed but at least viletta is handled a lot better in general.

Viletta spends most of the series as basically a victim, so it's kind of messed up to want her killed.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 25, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Writing the China arc and the majority of Karen being in jail would be big improvements.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Enjoyed it!

Boy Kallen lost super definitively though boooo

This is a more or less recap movie for the last act of the show, right? Why would they rewrite that? I assume with super definitively you don't mean killed off, since that changes the ending a lot, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lancelot's ground-locked state early on was cool because it was still clearly a cut above the rest without going full on flight and hyper beams yet. Same deal with the Guren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

He shows how adept he is during an off-screen test which considering the lore of Code Geass doesn't make much sense for him to have taken.

Wasn't it Lloyd specifically who tested him? Lloyd wouldn't give a poo poo about whether he should have done it or not.