Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The choreography of the fights in Akito is pretty slick (though I do wish they wouldn't do that thing with the CG where they cut frames out to make it look like it has the same framerate as the handdrawn stuff. That's one of the main reasons to use CG! It just looks clunky when you do that). Shame the cast has been dull as molasses so far.

Also the 2nd episode had a rocket launch sequence that took around 9 minutes. It was incredibly self-indulgent and even though the fights at the end were cool, that bloated scene really put a damper on things. They could have easily done that scene in a fraction of the time and maybe use some of those extra minutes to actually bother developing the cast or something crazy like that?

I'm not going to say that there's no potential at all for a spinoff, since while Lelouch did carry the show, I'm sure people said the same thing back in the day about a Gundam spinoff that didn't have Amuro or Char in it. But Akito's writing just isn't good enough to capitalize on such potential (Though it's a big enough success sales-wise, which I guess is the most important thing for Sunrise).

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess on the bright side, outside of the time travel stuff Buddy Complex has been really derivative of Gundam so it's not like it's a huge loss if the writers go crazy for season two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fansubs in general are pretty dead, these days

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also there's some English subs on the blu-ray or something? I know with the other episodes a subbed version was out fast, so

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's also very hosed up to think about, but next year Geass turns 10 years old.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Season 2 has a strong finish but there's a good chunk of the show that drags in such a way that makes it come across like they're focusing on buying time while setting up the final arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cergos posted:

I honestly can't imagine anything good coming out from continuing the Code Geass franchise.

I hope at the very least it doesn't mean that it's gonna be the only thing Goro Taniguchi works on for the next 10 years. He's a fascinating director and I'd much rather see some new projects from him.