Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

We've all looked back at things we used to love and realised that we actually had really bad taste in the past and were utterly wrong to ever like them. The usual reaction is to dismiss it and move on, but I thought it might be interesting to think about why we liked things that are so obviously bad. So tell us what you liked, why it's terrible, and what made you so blind to its obvious flaws.

I'll start.

The thing: The Lone Wolf series by Joe Dever.

Why it's terrible: Lone Wolf is a series of game books, or basically single-player Dungeons & Dragons in book form. The stories are really straight-forward, the hero travels around killing a bunch of bad guys and monsters until he reaches whatever the goal was for that book and that's about it. The gameplay mechanics are wildly unbalanced, there are choices you can make that will just outright kill you, and others that will make it practically impossible to win later on. The biggest problem there is that you get advantages from having completed earlier books in the series, but he also tried to make it so that you could pick up any book and just play that one by itself, which meant that it ended up being really difficult to do each book as a stand-alone, but ridiculously easy if you did them all in order. Except for a few times when having played previous books would make it drastically harder. I'm pretty sure the only way to actually beat the entire series is to memorise the ideal path through each book, and even then you probably still have to cheat.

Why I loved it: Firstly, I'd heard of Dungeons & Dragons and really wanted to play it, but no one I knew was at all interested in it. Since I didn't have a computer that could run whatever D&D style games were around at the time, gamebooks were as close as I could get. Besides, my parents wouldn't let me play video games all day, but reading books all day was fine.

Secondly, I'm a sucker for world building. The fact that each Lone Wolf book told you more about the world and built up the mythology was a major selling point. I could probably still go into detail about the backstory and various creatures and people of Lone Wolf.

Thirdly, despite the obvious balance problems it caused (which I was aware of even then), I loved the fact that I could take the same character with the same stats and powers and equipment from one book to the next, getting stronger and better as I went on. It felt like actually achieving something. This was the main reason that I didn't like the far superior Fighting Fantasy series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone because each book in that series stands alone and has a completely different setting and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
a whole bunch of things but mostly ska

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007
A poo poo-ton of nu metal in the late 90's. Korn and Staind, mostly.

Ishmael
May 31, 2006
All Raymond E. Feist books. At the time they were titillating and engrossing. Looking back, they were all very similar and the main characters were beyond powerful, destroying any illusion of danger to them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I used to play a lot of free to play Korean games my freshman and sophomore year of high school. The only one I don't really regret playing was GunZ. Yes, with a capital Z. It was a buggy piece of poo poo game, but that was the only reason it was appealing, because the glitches essentially meant most people could literally fly up walls or pull off some anime sword bullshit blocking bullets while zipping along the ground or fire shotguns at over twice their reload speed or a variety of other crazy poo poo that wasn't intended. The downside is that the netcode was similarly lovely so it doubled the effect of ping with no systems in place to compensate, so laggy games became a guessing game of where they would be a split second in the future.

My best memories of that game were flying through the sky raining rockets down on people complaining that I was a noob/human being/hacker.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Op's mom

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Ishmael posted:

All Raymond E. Feist books. At the time they were titillating and engrossing. Looking back, they were all very similar and the main characters were beyond powerful, destroying any illusion of danger to them.

I started reading them a while back. They were okay but I stopped about 3 books in. Like you said, it seemed like the main dudes had way too much power. Also meant to edit this in with the last post, whoops.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
System of a Down. I was a teenager, all my friends were into it, raging against The Man seemed like a cool thing to do, but then I went to college and grew the gently caress up and all of a sudden their lolrandommonkeycheese lyrics sounded like a fifteen year old trying too hard to get attention to validate themselves.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
1. Hot Pockets. When I was a teen I'd sometimes eat two Hot Pockets (usually Pepperoni, Cheeseburger, or Meatball) for every lunch, for a whole week. The only thing that stopped me was when we ran out. Then my mom started going to Costco, and she'd come back with a giant box of their "Pocket Meals," which are the exact same thing, only Kirkland brand, and about 15% larger.

Looking back, I wonder how I survived and never ballooned to like 300 loving pounds. I guess my only saving grace was that I was extremely active in high school, playing two or three sports every year.

2. Vodka. The first hard liquor I drank regularly. I'd throw a few shots of it into Dr. Pepper or Vanilla Coke. Then I woke up and realized it was utter poo poo. Nowadays, other than the very occasional Moscow Mule or White Russian, I never touch the stuff anymore.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

This hairdo.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Warhammer. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the figures themselves, and the community isn't that bad, but Games Workshop is so hilariously incompetant it's not worth following the hobby any more.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Star Wars novels. I feel dirty typing that. Not like Luke-has-sex-with-a-computer dirty, but dirty.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A whole lot of people I used to be friends with. Looking back, the majority of them were shallow, self-centred people who would constantly blame myself and others for their own failings. I miss hanging out with people, but I sure as hell don't miss them.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm surprised I'm the first one to say it, but anime. I'll still defend Satoshi Kon, Naoki Urasawa and Hayao Miyazaki to the grave, but holy loving hell is the bulk of that stuff as terrible as the people who thrive on it.
I was into it because I was a teenage animation enthusiast and actually managed to pick up some good cartooning techniques through observation. I'm now a twenty-something animation enthusiast and can't name you a non-Ghibli anime post-2007.

FrankenVonVogler
Nov 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I'm surprised I'm the first one to say it, but anime. I'll still defend Satoshi Kon, Naoki Urasawa and Hayao Miyazaki to the grave, but holy loving hell is the bulk of that stuff as terrible as the people who thrive on it.
I was into it because I was a teenage animation enthusiast and actually managed to pick up some good cartooning techniques through observation. I'm now a twenty-something animation enthusiast and can't name you a non-Ghibli anime post-2007.

'Sup :smith:

I guess to be even more specific, there was a late-90s shounen manga called Shaman King. When I was about 10 or 11 I remember thinking it was the coolest poo poo, since I had, and still do have a thing for world mythology and the way the spirit fights worked seemed really cool to me at the time.

Then I grew up and tried reading it and it turns out it's the most generic anime in the entire world.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
Atlas Shrugged. Nobody can top that.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\ Oh yeah?

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

ILL ON PZONES posted:

Atlas Shrugged. Nobody can top that.

:smith::hf::smith: For about a year, as a high school senior who thought he knew everything until PoliSci 101 beat it out of me. I was also an "I'm a libertarian but not one of THOSE libertarians!" for a while, being a disciple of the Austrian Church of Economics while not having a hard on for Jesus, guns, weed and Ron Paul.

Taco Bell. How did I ever think that all those combinations of salt, grease and iceberg lettuce tasted good?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

bringmyfishback posted:

Star Wars novels. I feel dirty typing that. Not like Luke-has-sex-with-a-computer dirty, but dirty.

Is it bad that I read The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy and decided to keep going for awhile longer?

For those of you who went outside as children, BHW features a character who put his brain in a cybernetic baby bjorn so that he could replace his skull with a giant gently caress-off laser. Prior to the events of the series, he was Boba Fett's only friend.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Why it's terrible:

The racism, oh sweet mother Mary the racism! Every cocksucker and his mom is either a swarthy ratty-eyed towelhead or a straight-backed aryan. If you choose to stab the friend of the family go to page "GOOD JOB", otherwise turn to page "DEATH".

e: I'll just make a note here that the site Tiggum linked lets you play this poo poo for free online! All of it! All of the swarthy pages! Just bear the simple rules oulined above in mind, and you will prance through this magical adventure without danger to your wholesome person, just like in real life!!!!!!

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Feb 2, 2014

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

a nigga who smoke posted:

ska is not terrible

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

a nigga who smoke posted:

Check. I was actually in a ska band in highschool. That story is how I got my avatar.

TunaSpleen posted:

System of a Down. I was a teenager, all my friends were into it, raging against The Man seemed like a cool thing to do, but then I went to college and grew the gently caress up and all of a sudden their lolrandommonkeycheese lyrics sounded like a fifteen year old trying too hard to get attention to validate themselves.
Check.

Ishmael posted:

Check.
I have such fond memories of Magician:Apprentice. Jimmy the Hand was my favorite character in the later books.

Das Boo posted:

Double check.

I really wish I hadn't gotten into it as a kid, because for a while I was that horrible type of weeb. "JAPAN IS GREAT. I ONLY LIKE JAPANESE COMICS."

You know the type.

I grew out of it pretty quick, but for a while, my room was plastered in anime pictures I'd gotten from Newtype USA and stuff I'd printed off from the internet. Just cutesy things mostly, nothing creepy (I was naive and didn't understand the creep factor of some of that magical girl poo poo- I was also a young girl, soooooo...)

I'll admit, it got me into some good things like Cowboy Bebop (which is still really great), which would later get me interested in noir films, and much later, I fell in love with Otomo via SteamBoy (never got into steampunk, though.) and Tezuka by way of Black Jack. I don't like much anime these days, and couldn't tell you what is new past 07, like Das Boo, aside from Space Dandy, which was made by the director of Cowboy Bebop, so it gets a pass.

Oh, oh! I need to add this one. It is a part of the general "anime" thing, but Tenchi Muyo.

I really, really regret liking that show so much. I bought the VHSs of it and the manga and all sorts of poo poo before I realized just how vapid and empty it was. It is just stupid. I think I was blinded by the little bit of scifi that it dangled in front of you every now and again, and the cute mascot cat-things.

E: All Dogs Go to Heaven. I adored that movie as a kid. Went back and watched it... Er... The animation was good? That's all I can say good about it.

Also, I still don't feel bad about ska. :colbert: It is, however, terrible to most people. I just don't feel bad about it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

double post

Whorelord has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Feb 2, 2014

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I bet I liked shittier anime than you! Oh, to be a annoying 14-year-old weeaboo again. Now I'm just an annoying 24-year-old non-weeaboo.

I listened to nu-metal for about 5 minutes when I was 12? 2000-2004 was an absolutely horrible period for music, nearly every [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek]mainstream[/url] genre was going through some sort of dark period. Most of this stuff I didn't claim to like, but I watched music channels every morning anyway and ended up knowing most of them by heart. Mostly what I considered legitimately "good music" was equally whiny rock music from the 90s. I also liked some awful j-rock as part of my weeaboo phase.

I also dressed terribly in school. Avril Lavigne's popularity had started a :airquote:punk trend:airquote: which meant that ugly alternative-looking clothes could be found in ordinary stores, and I loved that poo poo. My only consolation is that everyone else dressed like poo poo as well, just a different kind of poo poo (bright pink tracksuits, blue eyeshadow, too much hair gel, that stuff).

I could basically go on forever like this, my early teenage years were not kind to me. The worst thing is that there was no one else like this in my school (except for a single goth who was a few years above me, and some Yu-Gi-Oh obsessive players who kept to themselves) for years. I didn't have any friendgroup of equally annoying weeaboos to encourage me, I just naturally blossomed into gooniness.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I bet I liked shittier anime than you! Oh, to be a annoying 14-year-old weeaboo again. Now I'm just an annoying 24-year-old non-weeaboo.

I listened to nu-metal for about 5 minutes when I was 12? 2000-2004 was an absolutely horrible period for music, nearly every mainstream genre was going through some sort of dark period. Most of this stuff I didn't claim to like, but I watched music channels every morning anyway and ended up knowing most of them by heart. Mostly what I considered legitimately "good music" was equally whiny rock music from the 90s. I also liked some awful j-rock as part of my weeaboo phase.

I also dressed terribly in school. Avril Lavigne's popularity had started a :airquote:punk trend:airquote: which meant that ugly alternative-looking clothes could be found in ordinary stores, and I loved that poo poo. My only consolation is that everyone else dressed like poo poo as well, just a different kind of poo poo (bright pink tracksuits, blue eyeshadow, too much hair gel, that stuff).

I could basically go on forever like this, my early teenage years were not kind to me. The worst thing is that there was no one else like this in my school (except for a single goth who was a few years above me, and some Yu-Gi-Oh obsessive players who kept to themselves) for years. I didn't have any friendgroup of equally annoying weeaboos to encourage me, I just naturally blossomed into gooniness.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Tiggum posted:

We've all looked back at things we used to love and realised that we actually had really bad taste in the past and were utterly wrong to ever like them. The usual reaction is to dismiss it and move on, but I thought it might be interesting to think about why we liked things that are so obviously bad. So tell us what you liked, why it's terrible, and what made you so blind to its obvious flaws.

I'll start.

Why it's terrible: Lone Wolf is a series of game books, or basically single-player Dungeons & Dragons in book form. The stories are really straight-forward, the hero travels around killing a bunch of bad guys and monsters until he reaches whatever the goal was for that book and that's about it. The gameplay mechanics are wildly unbalanced, there are choices you can make that will just outright kill you, and others that will make it practically impossible to win later on. The biggest problem there is that you get advantages from having completed earlier books in the series, but he also tried to make it so that you could pick up any book and just play that one by itself, which meant that it ended up being really difficult to do each book as a stand-alone, but ridiculously easy if you did them all in order. Except for a few times when having played previous books would make it drastically harder. I'm pretty sure the only way to actually beat the entire series is to memorise the ideal path through each book, and even then you probably still have to cheat.

Why I loved it: Firstly, I'd heard of Dungeons & Dragons and really wanted to play it, but no one I knew was at all interested in it. Since I didn't have a computer that could run whatever D&D style games were around at the time, gamebooks were as close as I could get. Besides, my parents wouldn't let me play video games all day, but reading books all day was fine.

Secondly, I'm a sucker for world building. The fact that each Lone Wolf book told you more about the world and built up the mythology was a major selling point. I could probably still go into detail about the backstory and various creatures and people of Lone Wolf.

Thirdly, despite the obvious balance problems it caused (which I was aware of even then), I loved the fact that I could take the same character with the same stats and powers and equipment from one book to the next, getting stronger and better as I went on. It felt like actually achieving something. This was the main reason that I didn't like the far superior Fighting Fantasy series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone because each book in that series stands alone and has a completely different setting and characters.

I played the Lone Wolf books as choose-your-own-adventures while skipping over combats (what's a book care if I follow the rules or not?) so I still like them pretty well. Also you're going to call the Lone Wolf series terrible and not bring up the racism? I literally used to think "swarthy" meant roguish, or untrustworthy.

TunaSpleen posted:

I was never big into System of a Down, but one of my exes was, and I liked them well enough. A fun discovery I recently made is that they lifted their entire sound from later Faith No More.

There's actually not a whole lot of music I used to love that I'd consider terrible today, but I definitely fell into the trap of "I love this artist, therefore I must love everything by this artist." If Frank Zappa hadn't finally broken me of this, I doubt anyone could have.

Edit: Oh yeah. Ayn Rand. I used to love Ayn Rand. :doh:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Feb 3, 2014

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Maple Story. To this day I still wonder why I have devoted so much of my time grinding this poor excuse of a MMO. Back when I played the game at around from '04 to '05 there wasn't any post game, and the grind was also a drag too at the time. Man, gently caress Maple Story and gently caress 14 year old self for playing it for so drat long.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Dragonlance. I mean, I am thankful I read them, because it helped consolidate in me a love for books, and has left me much more of a reader than 90% of the population but boy is the series embarrassing as an adult.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rollersnake posted:

Also you're going to call the Lone Wolf series terrible and not bring up the racism? I literally used to think "swarthy" meant roguish, or untrustworthy.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out III: Still Learning New Things

:saddowns:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
They Might Be Giants

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
Maddox, and angry people ranting at stuff online in general.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Myself.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

They Might Be Giants

Oh poo poo, I remember these fuckers. My first boyfriend was so in love with this band, and anyone who didn't think they were awesome was retarded, in his words.

Anime like Tenchi Muyo, which was just some poo poo harem garbage, DeathNote, which went crazy.

Can I mention deviantart? I remember when that site came out, like a decade ago, and everyone who was An Artist!!!! was on there. Horrible poems, lovely prose, insane Photoshop messes. But it's okay, man, no one appreciated Van Gogh when he was alive, it's the same poo poo for Pikachu77!

Working at the zoo. The hours were horrible, the pay was so bad only the sense of 'I don't know how to apply' kept me from going on foodstamps, and my building was falling apart, had limited air conditioning, and I was expected to deal with the eternal plumbing issues of pipes over twenty years old, sealed with CrazyGlue.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Gaia Online.

It's difficult to overstate how much I cared about those goddamn pixels. I quested for months to save up the gold to get a Dark Halo, saving and saving and obsessively checking the market price because you guys it looks so cool. I spent actual cash money to get monthly items when they came out. To what end? To become the coolest dude on a site filled with 12 year olds? I never gave a poo poo about the MMO they put out or any of the onsite games, I just wanted my avatar to be the best avatar.

I just logged in for the first time in years; it is still awful and now I am worth a lot more fake money :negative:

Bomrek has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Feb 3, 2014

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

Dragonlance. I mean, I am thankful I read them, because it helped consolidate in me a love for books, and has left me much more of a reader than 90% of the population but boy is the series embarrassing as an adult.

This. And Forgotten Realms.

They're a lot like porn. They were much more impressive when you were fourteen and you're kind of embarrassed to talk about them now.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In high school I decided I was an anglophile, at least as far as music went. If they sang with a thick accent, I loved them. I saved up my babysitting money to buy overpriced import copies of NME and so, so many bad CDs. There were some gems there, but so much mediocre crap.

Of course, American radio at the time was mostly Limp Bizkit, so ultimately I think I made the right choice.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

This goddamn movie. When it first came out, and I was 10 years old, that movie was the coolest thing ever. Rewatched it a few years ago, and I couldn't even make it all the way through (although the robot parts are still rad).

Das Boo posted:

I'm surprised I'm the first one to say it, but anime.

Same here, mid highschool I got really into anime, and that lasted about 3 or 4 years. Now I can't watch any anime TV shows, and can only stomach a couple movies anymore. It's just such trash, I can't understand how grown adults can watch so much of it.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Feb 3, 2014

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Bomrek posted:

Gaia Online.

It's difficult to overstate how much I cared about those goddamn pixels. I quested for months to save up the gold to get a Dark Halo, saving and saving and obsessively checking the market price because you guys it looks so cool. I spent actual cash money to get monthly items when they came out. To what end? To become the coolest dude on a site filled with 12 year olds? I never gave a poo poo about the MMO they put out or any of the onsite games, I just wanted my avatar to be the best avatar.

I just logged in for the first time in years; it is still awful and now I am worth a lot more fake money :negative:

Guh. I wish you hadn't reminded me about this thing. I'm in the same boat with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can I mention deviantart? I remember when that site came out, like a decade ago, and everyone who was An Artist!!!! was on there. Horrible poems, lovely prose, insane Photoshop messes. But it's okay, man, no one appreciated Van Gogh when he was alive, it's the same poo poo for Pikachu77!

I bookmarked it for cool hi-res digital backgrounds soon after it started. It didn't seem like the fanartpocalypse had happened to it yet :(

• Locked thread