Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Also, Nthing Star Wars Novels, although I maintain to this day that the Timothy Zahn novels are still top quality.

Truth. The only part of the EU that deserves to survive the impending canon-cide, but it inevitably won't since it directly clashes with Disney wanting to make Episodes 7-9.

They'll always be Episodes 7-9 in my heart. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

Truth. The only part of the EU that deserves to survive the impending canon-cide, but it inevitably won't since it directly clashes with Disney wanting to make Episodes 7-9.

They'll always be Episodes 7-9 in my heart. :unsmith:

Truly, they will be the Dune Encyclopedia of the Star Wars series.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

William Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet. Antiquated dialogue (by even Shakespeare's standards), obnoxious flowery descriptors, and one hell of a reach in terms of a moral. So much so, loving everyone in grade school thought it was true love until they heard Shakespeare wrote it to be against the precepts of young love, specifically that it makes you blind enough to commit suicide if things don't go like you want them to.

Basically, everything R&J has created for the past hundred years is the opposite of its intent, which makes it not a timeless classic but a bloated mess of a story that falls on deaf ears unless the audience knows what "wherefore" actually means.

But in grade school it was the most romantic play ever and everyone wanted to be a young lover because of it. :suicide:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gen. Ripper posted:

The thing: NationStates.net

What is it? A nation-simulator game, sort of like CyberNations, except much more simplified; you just answer little questionnaires (called "Issues") every day and those determine the makeup of your nation. The heavy focus is on role-playing in the forums.

I played that for a bit, but never even looked at the forums. Seeing what happens to your nation as you make different choices is fun for a while. Also, the whole thing is an ad for the book Jennifer Government, which somehow gained a life of its own and is probably far better known than the book it was created to promote.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I also got heavily into Black Metal, including the stuff made by honest-to-God neo-nazis.

:negative:

The rise of NSBM was what made me drop the genre alltogether, actually. I still return once every blue moon when Darkthrone releases a new album, but other than that, I'm done.

I used to be heavily into death and thrash metal, and for the longest time didn't wear anything but worn-out band sweaters and leather jackets. I even frequented a whole ton of metal forums, until I realised the common attitude there was "we're all better than everyone else". They also attracted a lot of nazis.

Like everyone else in this thread, I was also into anime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rollersnake posted:

Gargoyles, though, used to be my favorite show. I'm hoping it's held up well like Batman: The Animated Series, but it was just another Ninja Turtles, right? With occasional Shakespeare references to make the precocious kids feel smart.

No, it's actually very well-done. I think it's probably one of the better supernatural soap operas ever made, actually.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

I played that for a bit, but never even looked at the forums. Seeing what happens to your nation as you make different choices is fun for a while. Also, the whole thing is an ad for the book Jennifer Government, which somehow gained a life of its own and is probably far better known than the book it was created to promote.

I played Nationstates because a few of my friends did too, and it wasn't too time consuming. Then I read a sample chapter of Jennifer Government and never played it again. The FYAD parody of Jennifer Government is better written than that steaming pile of crap.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Rather Watch Them posted:

William Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet. Antiquated dialogue (by even Shakespeare's standards), obnoxious flowery descriptors, and one hell of a reach in terms of a moral. So much so, loving everyone in grade school thought it was true love until they heard Shakespeare wrote it to be against the precepts of young love, specifically that it makes you blind enough to commit suicide if things don't go like you want them to.

Shakespearean literature is kinda my thing and while I agree that R&J is one of his poorest plays, I'm actually going to defend old Shakesy for a brief moment! The play itself is largely based on The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke which predates Shakespeare's adaptation by around 30 years, itself translated from earlier novellas. Shakesy's revision expanded the world of R&J somewhat (Mercutio, for instance, was nothing more than a dinner guest at the Capulet feast in Brooke's original and only spoke a small handful of lines!) and made slight alterations to the course of several minor characters in the play.

The main point I'd like to make though is in regards to the rationale that Shakespeare "wrote it to be against the precepts of young love" ^^. In my view, this is an oversimplification of Shakespeare's objective. Consider the work in its historical context - Catholicism dictated that one who commits suicide surrendered themselves to hell, and yet Romeo and Juliet are undeterred by such a fate. Their suicide is out of passion for one another - their love exists outside of the bounds of religion. Why? Well, without going into a neverending derail, there is an astounding amount of evidence throughout Shakesy's folio that would suggest that he is greatly skeptical on the subject of religion (for one, many of his most evil/duplicitous characters are unequivocally religious eg. Macbeth). I actually believe that Shakespeare in fact sides with, and has some admiration for, Romeo and Juliet's 'suicide pact'. When Juliet declares "O happy dagger! This is thy sheath, there rust, and let me die" the association between the act of love/sex and death is, for mine, anything but incidental. Shakespeare does not intend to banish the lovers to hell so much as he aims to spare them from a Christian 'heaven' in which such love is forbidden. Knowing how Shakespeare typically operates, this interpretation resonates more closely with the idea of 'tragic love' - as opposed to the rather simplistic explanation that R&J symbolise the apparent dangers of two young lovers who think the world revolves around them.

e. I should contribute a terrible thing that I used to love! I'm going to go with retro videogames that I used to think were awesome but actually were just real bad. Examples being the original Street Fighter games, the early Earthworm Jim/Rayman games, the entire Mortal Kombat series on SNES/N64, dumb shooters like Turok/Doom/Contra, most of the Need for Speed series, and any sports game that EA Sports has ever made (except the SSX series which kinda rocks).

Homestar Runner has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Dec 18, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

AcetylCoA! posted:

As I recall - every nationality had a stereotype - the Arends were hot-headed; some other nation was populated by Ren-faire rejects. I found Silk incredibly obnoxious - especially since I was supposed to identify with Polgara and Ce'nedra. How come the boys get this cool badass whatever dude and I get the most useless immortal witch ever.

Oh yes true but they still are all stereotypes of white European cultures. What I found funny about Polgara is that she spent a thousand years raising kids yet fails to actually treat Garion with any sort of respect or even attempt to justify the stuff that happens. I mean poo poo, the first time the kid uses "magic" is to burn a guy to death and her response is "hurf durf, get over it sissy I just spent a thousands years looking after your ancestors so you could be born so you better loving suck it up". Really reprehensible poo poo you dont pick up on as a kid.

Stairs posted:

It got even worse in her biographical stand alone novel "the sorceress Polgara" because one of her defining traits was the fact that she hated her father for leaving her mother, who then died from childbirth. In the original novels eventually it reveals that her mother actually survived and reconnected with her family, but in the biographical novel it was also revealed that Polgara was in lifelong constant psychic contact with her mother, never told her dad she was still alive and let him grieve over her for hundreds of years. Also her father didn't leave her mother, but was instead forced to be away on a quest, which Polgara also knew. So there was literally zero excuse for her hating him all her life, and in fact it was HE who deserved to hate HER for keeping this information to herself. I used to love these books as a teen, but now I realize they are just Xanth with loving.

To be slightly fair, Belgarath fucks off for like 15 years in a nervous breakdown of sorts which is more why she hates him. But yeah, the way she treats him when a lot of the bad stuff was beyond his control was pretty awful as well.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

To be slightly fair, Belgarath fucks off for like 15 years in a nervous breakdown of sorts which is more why she hates him. But yeah, the way she treats him when a lot of the bad stuff was beyond his control was pretty awful as well.

Well, if she had said to him "Don't be sad father, mother has left on a mission for the Gods and will be with you again some day, want to send her a message through my psychic wolf Internet?" he wouldn't have lost his poo poo as hard as he did.

Polgara was always trumped up as being perfect at everything, and that pissed me off more than anything else. Literally everything she did was better than everyone else ever. Another character can sing? Well Polgara can sing with three voices at once. Character can cook? Well Polgara is such a good chef she can make a gourmet meal in the middle of the woods. Character is an excellent dancer? Well Polgara is an immortal half wolf psychic animagus Earth mother martial artist sorceress master gardener who is Also so beautiful in every way that literal legends have been written about her beauty and the suitors that have come from all over the world but she's so very humble that she instead chose a simple farmhand as her mate because she's that wonderful. The only thing missing is urple eyes and she'd be a Harry Potter fanfic OC.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
All this David Eddings stuff is breaking my heart. I haven't read those books in so many years and now I'm pretty sure I don't want to. But at least no one's said anything about the vastly superior Elenium. Those ones are fine. Right? :sigh:

Even as a teen I thought the Sparhawk/Ehlana thing was weird. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I read it now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I used to think Gamefaqs message boards were pretty cool when they were the only forums I had ever seen, in like 2000. I was a VET in the Poll of the Day forum :smuggo:. Then I found out about any other forum anywhere.

I still post on GameFAQs music boards, mostly the metal board, out of habit I guess (I've been doing it since 8th grade. Same with IMDb, which has some of the most hilarious forums drama you'll ever see made worse by the fact that half the users are middle-aged). It's actually a fairly knowledgeable board, at least as much as NMD, if not more. It's just brought down heavily by being GameFAQs and it's kind of slow-moving. I avoid the rest of both sites like the plague.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Also, Nthing Star Wars Novels, although I maintain to this day that the Timothy Zahn novels are still top quality.

The X-Wing novels weren't too bad either, mostly because they stayed away from the existing characters for the most part.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm curious what prog-metal you're talking about, because a lot of prog is still awesome. If you mean the symphonic/theatrical kind that basically sounds like a Broadway musical threw up on the Trans-Siberian Orchestra fronted by a guy in a train conductor's coat, I'm with you there.

Definitely a lot of the really, really cheesy stuff. Bands like Symphony X, Edguy/Avantasia, Rhapsody of Fire, etc. Thankfully I lost interest in the genre around the late 2000s right before Dragonforce was starting to become really popular.

I was also really into a lot of the less fantasy-nerd-geared stuff, like Pain of Salvation and Evergrey. I'll admit that that sort of prog-metal does have some redeeming value, I'm just burnt out on it.

While I still enjoy a lot of non-metal prog - mostly Yes and The Flower Kings and that sort of thing - the only prog-metal I throw on anymore is Porcupine Tree, though mostly their earlier music, and Devin Townsend, because Devin Townsend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

I used to think Gamefaqs message boards were pretty cool when they were the only forums I had ever seen, in like 2000. I was a VET in the Poll of the Day forum :smuggo:. Then I found out about any other forum anywhere.

I used to post on one of the social boards when I was in middle school, like 10+ years ago. After this post reminded me of it, went back to see if it still existed, and not only did it still exist, but a lot of the regulars are still there, a decade later. :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for reminding me that I was a regular on "Random Insanity" once upon a time. That's embarrassing.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
You pussies listened to Mudvayne, Linkin Park, Korn, etc?

HAAAA! Slipknot was way more hardcore. :colbert:

(8 years ago, this statement wouldn't have been ironic)

cname has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Feb 4, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I used to think chuck palahniuk was a good writer. Ha.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Speaking of terrible books, I used to absolutely love the Sword of Truth series. I read the first few a half dozen times over, but once I hit the point in the series where the author writes a 600 page rant about how COMMUNISM IS BAD! I stopped reading them. Then years later, I started to re-read the first, and it was just unbearable. I have no idea why I liked them so much.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
What is awful about Dragonlance? I haven't read them in 15 years of course, but when I was 13 I remember they were pretty cool.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ayn "vomit" Rand

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Fishy Joe posted:

What is awful about Dragonlance? I haven't read them in 15 years of course, but when I was 13 I remember they were pretty cool.

There is nothing inherently bad, at least I don't remember any outright misogyny or racism or whatever, but lets not kid ourselves, it was not exactly highbrow. I actually still have all the books I bought in my bookshelf(about 15 or so :smith:) and I wouldn't throw them out or anything, and I have considered it but I don't think I will ever revisit them.

Another thing: MMORPGs, goddamn... I wasted so many of teenage years lost in a world where I thought the bare minimum of human contact was a solid base for friendship. First playing Tibia, and then WoW. There was a period of like a year or something during my WoW era where I would literally log on and stand around doing nothing while actually spending most of my time looking at videos on youtube or some other random poo poo, even playing other games with WoW open in the background.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fishy Joe posted:

They're just fairly generic fantasy, but better because :black101:MOTHERFUCKING DRAGONS:black101:

And unlike everyone here, I knew libertarianism was dumb when I was a teenager, because it was objectively worse than communism :smug::hf::ussr:. I also did the usual dumb nerd stuff, like being obsessed with anime, Star Wars books and 40k. At least I got out of anime really quickly because holy gently caress weaboos are loving creepier than usual when they realize that you're Japanese.

Oh, and I wasted like 5 years playing WoW every night until the sun came up. I'm exaggerating, but not much.

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Feb 4, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thank you for reminding me that I was a regular on "Random Insanity" once upon a time. That's embarrassing.

I'm very happy that the genMay subforum over at hardOCP were closed and deleted, and equally happy that I didn't spend much time on the standalone (and moderated by far less sane) version that popped up later. It resembled the impression I've gotten of GBS ca 2001.

I don't really mind my WoW phase, though. I stayed in a single guild my entire raiding career, and I've met the core people a number of times by now. Great people, shame about the sheer number of hours it took. Oh, and I think there was a game in there somewhere.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Feb 4, 2014

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I went through this phase when I was like 11-12 where I refused to read any book that wasn't about animals. I have a massive number of horrible psychic/talking animal books under my belt for that. Weirdly enough I never got into the Redwall series, but everything else was fair game--Silverwing, Warrior Cats, The Sight, any number of weird clinical narratives about a regular fox/wolf/whatever doing fox/wolf/whatever things. They were always the darkest poo poo for some reason, too, full of horrible animal murder :stare:

As far as music goes I was all about Evanescence and Nightwish back in the day. I can't even think about the latter now without getting the creeps.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Edguy/Avantasia

They, however, are still awesome :colbert:

Bluish
Sep 13, 2011

:h::h: Love em! ;) :h::h:

Coulrophobia posted:

Embarrassing animal books

Holy poo poo haha did you ever read any of the books by Jean Craighead George? I loved My Side of the Mountain and wanted to be the next Samantha Gribley with a loving awesome pet falcon. A couple of her books were in the perspective of wolves or falcons and to 10 year old me that was the coolest thing ever. I lost interest once I was like halfway through middle school but a couple of years ago I visited a wolf sanctuary while visiting my brother, and the folks running it were nice and all, but it was like witnessing an alternate timeline of myself where I never got over that "wolves are so loving cool and mysterious, like me??" poo poo.

Music-wise, I refused to jump on the bandwagon when my girlfriends were head over heels for Fall-Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco.
Nope, instead I was all about the My Chemical Romance, Evanescence, System of a Down, and Yellowcard. Oh, and Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, and Reliant K. Good times :lol:

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Kevin Smith movies. I matured as time went on. His skill as a filmmaker did not.

Oh, and Frank Miller. Specifically after 9/11 broke his brain.

Kevin Smith Oh Lord how I hate Kevin Smith now, but I loved everything he did back in the day.

I also used to love Evil Ernie and Lady Death comics went well with my Marilyn Manson phase I guess. I still like listening to Antichrist Superstar. Also my wardrobe no longer consist of black t-shirts and jeans only.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

In my defense it was the 90's and I was like 11 years old. I hit my teens and moved onto better music, like Marilyn Manson :negative:

I also had a necklace that looked like this and I thought I was the coolest girl in the world for wearing it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ulvir posted:

The rise of NSBM was what made me drop the genre alltogether, actually. I still return once every blue moon when Darkthrone releases a new album, but other than that, I'm done.

I used to be heavily into death and thrash metal, and for the longest time didn't wear anything but worn-out band sweaters and leather jackets. I even frequented a whole ton of metal forums, until I realised the common attitude there was "we're all better than everyone else". They also attracted a lot of nazis.

Like everyone else in this thread, I was also into anime.

Oh God, the sympathy for Nazism and the whole generic more-reactionary-than-thou attitude in metal communities was (and still is?) downright shameful. Metal Archives especially was notorious for this (although they at least banned people consistently).

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

kannonfodder posted:

Speaking of terrible books, I used to absolutely love the Sword of Truth series. I read the first few a half dozen times over, but once I hit the point in the series where the author writes a 600 page rant about how COMMUNISM IS BAD! I stopped reading them. Then years later, I started to re-read the first, and it was just unbearable. I have no idea why I liked them so much.

Most I recall is Goodkind's thing for female domination. You had the pain stick ladies; nuns with electroshock colors and a lady who could touch a man and turn him into a drooling Renfield sort. I gave up once I noticed that the series ran like a crappy cop show - bad guy does bad/creepy thing using gimmick power. Richard is immune; naturally - because he's a Rahl. Zed wanders in and out like a store-brand Gandalf. Richard kills bad guy/other people.

Wizards First Rule - Wear red to hide the blood stains.

The Runelords series. Good premise - steal other people's attributes; become a demi-god. Cross-species attribute robbing has interesting side-effects and is frowned upon. If your donors die; you're SOL. No idea what the plot was; lost interest.
The Ill-Made Mute. The author kept misplacing the plot in the scenery. A Pied-Piper was involved. And horses with anti-gravity shoes.

Anything, essentially by that dynamic duo of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Nora Roberts... half/all of the appeal was the (mediocre) sex. But I was 11.

AcetylCoA! has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 4, 2014

WhyAmINaked
Nov 24, 2013
Shiny shirts. :negative:

...shiny shirts.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

IamnotJoe posted:

Kevin Smith Oh Lord how I hate Kevin Smith now, but I loved everything he did back in the day.

I don't hate him, but the flaws in his filmmaking are more apparent to me now. While some of those flaws may have served him well in the beginning by helping him save money on a small budget, he continued to use those techniques even when given millions of dollars.

I think the worst example was probably the poo poo Monster scene in Dogma. Why show the actual fight when you can save time and money by just showing people mugging their reactions to the fight into the camera!

At least his Q&As are usually entertaining, or at least the ones I've seen. The man can spin a yarn for sure.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Collect-a-thon games (Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, etc.) and any game that takes an assload of grinding to level up, make stuff, advance the plot, whatever. Maybe the times have changed and we've all just come to expect immediate gratification or I realize how many things I could be doing instead of killing virtual skeletons over and over for days.

Pet stores. Some chains like Petsmart are pretty good about not stocking dangerous species, puppies, or rare exotics, but I get sad nowadays whenever I see smaller pet stores selling macaws, cockatoos, big tortoises, anacondas, most saltwater fish, funky mammals like coatimundis, and reptile dealers selling venomous snakes. The pet industry is a horrible beast that contributes to so many problems and there are very few laws preventing any common guy from spending $75 on an animal that can kill him just for the novelty of looking badass.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oh God, the sympathy for Nazism and the whole generic more-reactionary-than-thou attitude in metal communities was (and still is?) downright shameful. Metal Archives especially was notorious for this (although they at least banned people consistently).
My brother is an admin on Metal-Archives and what you don't see is far more terrible than what you do.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

kannonfodder posted:

And the rape. So much rape. I stopped about five books in because it was like there was someone getting raped every other chapter and it was just gross.

My terrible books are everything Jacquelyn Carey wrote. Bad porn with magic and gods and a "quirky" take on Christianity and Europe/Asia Minor, and lots and lots of BDSM. Main character blah blah god of pain blah blah Chosen One, culminates in :nms: her getting brutally raped on a table by a crazy Zoroastrian, in front of her husband and her 12 year old son and a bunch of other dudes, with a gigantic metal spiked dildo that's covered in dried gore and rotting bits, and she is forced to enjoy the whole thing, because Chosen One makes her feel pain as pleasure. I got a tattoo from one of the designs in the book well before I got to the gorefest poo poo and am going to go get it, ahem, altered this month so that nobody can pin it to that loving book.

She also has one that's literally about a super magical Incubus named Sebastian, who marries a woman who wears a cheetah-print catsuit on the regular. There's apparently another one in that series but I gave up on reading anything she wrote a while ago.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Rollersnake posted:

I made the mistake of trying to rewatch Captain N and the Super Mario Bros. Super Show a while back, and I have no idea how I found those entertaining even as a Nintendo-obsessed child. They're cringe-inducing to the point of being unwatchable.

Gargoyles, though, used to be my favorite show. I'm hoping it's held up well like Batman: The Animated Series, but it was just another Ninja Turtles, right? With occasional Shakespeare references to make the precocious kids feel smart.

I also had an awkward pre-teen crush on Demona:

But nowadays that's so normal it's downright boring.

The animation is a little sloppy at times, but the storytelling more than makes up for it.

Also, Xanatos remains completely awesome.

He Who Wears Pants
Mar 18, 2007

Who's the 'King of Pop' now, bitch?
Oh man...here's just a selection of the massive pile of regretful choices known as My Adolescence

-Nth+1'ing Star Wars novels. At one point I had nearly all of them up to Timothy Zahn's second set. Eventually I got tired of lugging them around and sold all of them to a Half Price Books, with the exception of Zahn's original trilogy. Those I've kept, and they're worn all to hell from being read so much. As far as I'm concerned, they're the sequels that should have been, but could never be, and I'm OK with that.

-Again with anything anime, back when the only anime you could get as a broke teenager was whatever aired on Toonami and on Saturday nights on the Sci-Fi Channel. I also had a more well-off friend who was able to buy DVDs for that new DVD player. I watched everything I could, I didn't care, it was all good to me, because it was so different from American cartoons, and it was in my mid teenage years when more sex and violence meant more mature. Eventually I came to realize that a lot of it is pretty formulaic crap and weeaboos are too embarrassing to be even remotely associated with, so I turned a hard 180. I still have a soft spot for AKIRA, Cowboy Bebop and Hayao Miyazaki's stuff, though.

-Cargo pants with zip-off pant legs that became cargo shorts. Ugh...I just...ugh... Right next to the Large T-shirts on my Medium frame, I had the fashion sense of a...well, an awkward teenager. Except this fashion rebellion continued into college, where I finally realized it was a large part of why I wasn't getting laid.

-Musically, I only listened to classical music, big band and movie soundtracks. Granted, these are still great and I still love them, but not because I'm unilaterally opposed to everything else, aka, "devil music." Ostensibly I was supposed to be into Christian rock, but even as a fundie that poo poo was unbearably bad.

-Oh, and while we're on the subject...Fundamentalist Christianity. Oh yeah, I went there :smugbert:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lolitas Alright! posted:

And the rape. So much rape. I stopped about five books in because it was like there was someone getting raped every other chapter and it was just gross.

My terrible books are everything Jacquelyn Carey wrote. Bad porn with magic and gods and a "quirky" take on Christianity and Europe/Asia Minor, and lots and lots of BDSM. Main character blah blah god of pain blah blah Chosen One, culminates in :nms: her getting brutally raped on a table by a crazy Zoroastrian, in front of her husband and her 12 year old son and a bunch of other dudes, with a gigantic metal spiked dildo that's covered in dried gore and rotting bits, and she is forced to enjoy the whole thing, because Chosen One makes her feel pain as pleasure. I got a tattoo from one of the designs in the book well before I got to the gorefest poo poo and am going to go get it, ahem, altered this month so that nobody can pin it to that loving book.

She also has one that's literally about a super magical Incubus named Sebastian, who marries a woman who wears a cheetah-print catsuit on the regular. There's apparently another one in that series but I gave up on reading anything she wrote a while ago.

THis post reminds me of how embarrassing the whole Game of Thrones series is. I cannot understand how it is so enormous now with all the incest and rape and oh god it's all so stupid. Also gently caress him and his stupid book release cycles, I'd probably still be reading this if there wasn't 15 years between books. hell, Robert Jordan *died* and still finished his series faster than GRRM writes.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Dukes of Hazzard. One of the cable channels we have was showing it and I figured I'd watch it because I loved it as a kid. It was not good. The first scene I was presented with had the Duke boys staring at a woman getting off a bus, then arguing about who she belonged to before they jumped out of their hastily parked car and surrounded this perfect stranger in order to get her to pick one of them. I couldn't watch it after that.

Oh, and games like Everquest. I enjoyed it but now I'm older and married and I cannot figure out how the hell people kept their relationships going let alone raised kids while dedicating 90% of their free time to those sorts of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

Lolitas Alright! posted:

That's Anne Bishop, a completely different BDSM fantasy author! She's the one that writes the series about Jaenelle, the Mary Sue to end all Mary Sues. You know, the beautiful part-human, part-cat, part-unicorn, part-fawn, part-wolf, part-elf Queen, who's the most powerful witch in all the realms, and also the adopted daughter of Satan.

• Locked thread