Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The closure is that these horribly broken children were able to come to terms with their flaws and start their journeys to a normal existence. I don't see how it gets anymore satisfying than that without turning into some gay rear end fan fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd a very japanese ending. I'm not saying this as an excuse or a codnemnation or anything, I'm just saying it's a very commont ype of ending in japanese media.

My own feelings on it are mostly ambivalent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno what you guys are talking about, we got all the closure we needed: we saw Ishida's sister.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From the jaw down, anyways.

I liked it. I don't really need big fat wrap-ups like a lot of folks do anymore, and I thought it was powerful enough that the Shou's were willing to face the most traumatizing part of their lives despite being scared. What they do in the future, whether they get together or not, that's entirely moot. The series was a romance fifth, maybe sixth, and a trauma-based drama about learning to cope with it and move on first and foremost.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fine ending IMO. The kind of ending I would've hated the gently caress out of would've been some hacky 10-year time skip to everyone paired off with kids or some poo poo. :iamafag:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For me this felt like it was just the ending of the arc and not of the series. Past chapter would've worked way better as ending if they were going for an open ending.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Fabricated posted:

Fine ending IMO. The kind of ending I would've hated the gently caress out of would've been some hacky 10-year time skip to everyone paired off with kids or some poo poo. :iamafag:

I'll take Naruto for 500. No, I wasn't pissed at that ending, I was mostly delighted by all the butthurt and how it pisses on a decade's worth of fanfic.

The ending for this could have been a little meatier, but honestly it was nice!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It was a very "And life goes on" ending. While there could of been one or two things I'd have liked to see a bit more proper closure on, it wasn't bad in the least. Just very... standard and safe as far as an ending point goes. All the actually important things had resolution already, so final chapter being about everyone moving on and their plans after school is fine by me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think something that people may be missing in the latest chapter is that the Coming of Age Day ceremony they're attending is for people who turned 20 that year. There was a non-obvious timeskip, which makes it all the more significant that these guys are still keeping in touch a few years after graduation.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think Punpun had a better 'and yet life goes on' feeling for it's ending. It's probably because the chapters are so short here.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Nipponophile posted:

I think something that people may be missing in the latest chapter is that the Coming of Age Day ceremony they're attending is for people who turned 20 that year. There was a non-obvious timeskip, which makes it all the more significant that these guys are still keeping in touch a few years after graduation.

Yeah, this is basically something that wouldn't be obvious to people not familiar with Japanese customs like that. An explanation might've been nice for the English readers.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What a good series.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
As endings go this was pretty safe and by-the-book, but the manga was great and it climaxed a while back and has just kinda been puttering around the last few chapters anyhow so that's fine.

I'm happy there's an anime but I'm not all that excited about watching it at this point. Probably just the whole "Literally finished reading the manga 10 minutes ago" effect. In a few months I might be more interested in revisiting the series in another format.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The ending gave me all the closure I needed. The final scene is a metaphor about them facing the future together, and that's good enough for me.

Also looking forward to the anime. I think that seeing the sign language animated will give this a breath of fresh air.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
So, er, who was the blonde lady with the kid near the end? People here and there are saying it's Shimada, because they have similar eyes, and that the fat guy she was with was probably the 3rd guy in Ishida's old group of friends, but that would have really came outta nowhere since there was nothing leading up to it either.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
People have bad memories. Tubby Hirose got a girlfriend. Here's all three of them onscreen together:

John Carstairs posted:

That is not him in the picture. I would assume it's his girlfriend.

Edit: In fact, here they are onscreen together:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 20, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

He was one of the buds

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I think I've figured out what I wanted in an ending, that would of course never happen because it's too far against the manga grain even for this manga.

I'd like to see that 10-year timeskip mentioned earlier; a class reunion, where the cast is barely recognizable. They get to talking, and it's immediately apparent that they haven't all kept completely in touch, nor have their lives continued on as they were; maybe Sahara is working for a non-profit, Nagatsuka sends his regards because he had to stay home with his three kids, that sort of thing. Someone (probably the blonde one, let's be honest) brings up "the good old days", and everyone just kind of shifts uncomfortably, and then it clicks: this is a happy ending, because this group of hosed-up kids actually moved on. They've stopped letting themselves be defined by their pasts, high school included.

Of course, that'd require something in Japan to not consider high school the Alpha and Omega of life. So, like I said, never gonna happen.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

drat thanks for pointing this out i wouldn't have figured this out.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

We got closure on the moms and that's all I wanted out of this.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There might be an epilogue, y'never know!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I think Punpun had a better 'and yet life goes on' feeling for it's ending. It's probably because the chapters are so short here.

that's more because in the context of Punpun, "and yet life goes on" is a tragedy.

As for the chapter, while I feel vindicated in the absolute-lack-of-romance ending, i gotta say that it was kind of an :effort: way to end the series. I'd def say that the comic is weaker post suicide attempt, barring a couple chapters here and there.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i read this story over the week and i think it would have been better if the mom's kissed.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That is a good idea, yessir!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

but i really think the story should have just ended at like chapter 5 when he went to see her at the sign language class and just been open ended because honestly the next 57 chapters were terrible

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like the ending

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i read this story over the week and i think it would have been better if the mom's kissed.

:agreed:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

oh god this is getting me hot and bothered

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my honest opinion a week after the story ended is that i'm not too crazy about the whole thing in general

it regularly had some good chapters so i don't regret reading it, but as a whole i don't think it ever really came together into a cohesive whole and it felt kinda aimless

basically the one shot really was enough, i'm not sure it needed a full series

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

my honest opinion a week after the story ended is that i'm not too crazy about the whole thing in general

it regularly had some good chapters so i don't regret reading it, but as a whole i don't think it ever really came together into a cohesive whole and it felt kinda aimless

basically the one shot really was enough, i'm not sure it needed a full series

I think it's a case of a weak ending dragging the rest down a bit. Ultimately most of the drama and character hangups past the first few chapters never really went anywhere. Everyone just sort of collectively went "Whelp, I'm terrible, better fix that poo poo off-panel" and then time-skip everyones happy yay.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Overall, it was one of the more interesting mangas I've read, but it was still a missed opportunity, particularly in terms of Nishimiya's characterisation in the second half of the story. I feel like Kawai or Eyebrows could've been cut out of the story entirely without much detriment to its themes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Guess the anime might pick up the ending better. Or up the fanservice. Eh.

Risky business.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been a week.

I still liked the series and the ending.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The series was good but then it just kinda died with a whimper.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They were willing to face the most traumatic period of both of their lives head on, together. I think the ending was fine. It wasn't a romance series to begin with even if the series had elements of it, so hopefully people aren't harping on it for not having a tied-with-a-bow pairing up ending.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
For a romance series there's a major lack of communication between the two main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

's how you build tension, isn't it? How much of this could have been resolved if Nishimiya had gotten her message through at the bridge?

• Locked thread