Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given Ueno's doing a violent version the "Just stop being depressed" thing to someone who she in part inflicted said depression upon and part of the reasoning for her wanting to put a line under all this is just so bloody selfish I'm still not inclined to give her much quarter.

If she doesn't react violently to the letter I'll eat my hat.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given Ueno's doing a violent version the "Just stop being depressed" thing to someone who she in part inflicted said depression upon and part of the reasoning for her wanting to put a line under all this is just so bloody selfish I'm still not inclined to give her much quarter.

If she doesn't react violently to the letter I'll eat my hat.

She's not saying "stop being depressed" she's saying "Stop being fake and actually be honest in how you communicate to others." Which, actually, is a valid and perceptive criticism to make.

Still a shithead for a bunch of other stuff though.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Ueno raises a point in that there should be honesty in relationships, but she goes about it in the completely wrong way: "I know that I and many others used to torment you for days on end for the simple act of existing on this planet and you had to build up a defense against it, but just get over it already and put trust in my incredibly rude, blunt and unfriendly self!" Again, even when raising a good point taken out of context, she is totally pushing all responsibility and guilt on the victim. Still, interesting character development from this chapter. If there is one thing I like about this story, it's the fact that there is no absolute evil, no black and white; it's always uncertain in how people feel and judge each other. Looking forward to see what happens with the letter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems that Ueno's more pissed at Shouko's turtling than at her as person. After all, she did admit than she was being antagonical on purpose to get a reaction out of Shouko.

I still can't decide what Ueno's deal is but I'm certain that she's also dragging some serious issues.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

---she was being antagonical on purpose to get a reaction out of Shouko.---

If someone could, I'd like to get verification on this. I was just reading the chapter again but it was from another translator, and they didn't phrase it in a way that she was being the 'bad guy' on purpose. I know translation is a tricky business, and they are similar enough without being incredibly different between the two, but the lines have gone like this:

"Is that the only thing you have to say, after I've been standing here spilling my guts to you and letting you know how I feel?"

vs

"You, listen. I went to the trouble of letting it all out like this, and was hostile like this on purpose...and you got nothing else to say?"

I wonder what the original line was...

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

FutureCop posted:

If someone could, I'd like to get verification on this. I was just reading the chapter again but it was from another translator, and they didn't phrase it in a way that she was being the 'bad guy' on purpose. I know translation is a tricky business, and they are similar enough without being incredibly different between the two, but the lines have gone like this:

"Is that the only thing you have to say, after I've been standing here spilling my guts to you and letting you know how I feel?"

vs

"You, listen. I went to the trouble of letting it all out like this, and was hostile like this on purpose...and you got nothing else to say?"

I wonder what the original line was...

The original line is "わざわざこんなにも敵意を出してやってんのに," which does say she was intentionally being hostile ("敵意" literally means "hostility").

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, intentionality is definitely expressed there. She went out of her way to be particularly hostile.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Clarste posted:

Yeah, intentionality is definitely expressed there. She went out of her way to be particularly hostile.

Yeah, maybe I should have done わざわざ as well. It literally means "on purpose."

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 6, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Oh god, when Shouya said 'this bread is also good bread' I burst out laughing. Never expected that from this manga. Keep on going, you awkward boy :allears:

Ueno might be the strongest villain right now, but the one I'm honestly afraid of is Nagatsuka, the broccoli-haired friend. He's...unstable. I know all his clinginess might just be a joke and he'll mellow out as the time goes, but I can't get rid of the feeling that he's a ticking time bomb.

EDIT: 'AnonBlack', one of the translators in one of the scanlation team, shows how Japanese Sign Language is used in this comic over at his or her tumblr. Check it if you find JSL interesting.

To those who bought the tankoubon, does it come with a glossary of sign languages? It's not necessary, sure, I was just wondering.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 6, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

toanoradian posted:

To those who bought the tankoubon, does it come with a glossary of sign languages? It's not necessary, sure, I was just wondering.

It doesn't, and, at least in volume one, I think it was better for it. Because unless you know sign language yourself, you probably didn't realize Shoko was attempting to ask Shoya to be her friend back in that soul-crushing scene in volume one until it's revealed in the first chapter of volume two, where it can hit you as yet another time-delayed gut punch.

Edit: Though I will add that I still think it would be neat to have one.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New chapter.

Nice to add a legitimately cool new character right about now only to most likely kill her off instantly. :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

New chapter.

Nice to add a legitimately cool new character right about now only to most likely kill her off instantly. :smith:

Given that she seems to be the only thing that is stopping Shouko's mom from going full bastard then it seems to be the going trend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really hope that death flag's a fakeout. It'd be lovely for them to axe her like that. If she's sick or had a heart attack or something and is in the hospital, cool, but I hope they didn't just introduce her and kill her off in a single chapter.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
What's the deal with the mom anyway? Of course she's cold towards Ishida, but why her own daughters too?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Franz von Dada posted:

What's the deal with the mom anyway? Of course she's cold towards Ishida, but why her own daughters too?

She's probably a single mom just like Ishida's, and it seems like from her point of view that her kids need to be "normal" or else society will judge them like they do her. It's something that probably started as love but ended up being pre-emptively enforcing the harshest expectations of society. Sign isn't "normal", so she does her best to ignore or suppress its use. Taking pictures of dead bugs isn't "normal", so she threatens to take Yuzuru's camera away.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Gyre posted:

She's probably a single mom just like Ishida's, and it seems like from her point of view that her kids need to be "normal" or else society will judge them like they do her. It's something that probably started as love but ended up being pre-emptively enforcing the harshest expectations of society. Sign isn't "normal", so she does her best to ignore or suppress its use. Taking pictures of dead bugs isn't "normal", so she threatens to take Yuzuru's camera away.

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. She's probably had a lot of stress piled onto her plate from dealing with everything by herself as a single mom: learning a new language and behavior for Shouko, dealing with the cost of hearing replacements and the ridicule from society, and probably a ton of anger/revenge thoughts from how the world has treated Shouko. All of these negative emotions have culminated into her trying to "hammer down the nail that sticks out", which is a constant theme in this manga. I definitely think she is doing this with good intentions from her point of view, as a way of saving them, because, as Dr. Haim Ginott said, "No parent wakes up in the morning planning on making their child's life miserable." However, it's a fruitless effort, because children will always refuse such commands as it threatens their own autonomy, and will result in rebellion, which we can clearly see in Yuzuru's actions. It's unfortunate that most parents end up being prosecutors in their child's life, when they should really be a defense attorney; a safe haven.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I really, really hope that death flag's a fakeout. It'd be lovely for them to axe her like that. If she's sick or had a heart attack or something and is in the hospital, cool, but I hope they didn't just introduce her and kill her off in a single chapter.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did. It's pretty ham-handed and stupid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Law Cheetah posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did. It's pretty ham-handed and stupid.

The author has showed to be better than that so I'm hoping is something else what is afoot. Shouko's mom is a bitch, I can get things are hard for her but all things considered she got it easy with Shouko it could've been a lot more difficult.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Could also be a fake out and she's crying because her mum deleted all the pictures? Right? Sigh.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Chas McGill posted:

Could also be a fake out and she's crying because her mum deleted all the pictures? Right? Sigh.

She's also wearing her school uniform, which would imply that she went to school, and we were made aware this chapter that she had been skipping. Maybe there's a reason for that. Doesn't explain Shouko's absence, but that could just be a MacGuffin? :sigh:

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 14, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or She could have gone to school and the mother could have deleted the photos anyway.

That sounds like the sort of "Do as I say, not as I do" sort of narrative that seems to be going on with that character.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't see anyone mention it yet, Crunchymanga has picked this up for simulpub.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh good, we should hopefully get some better quality translatons this way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Hmmm, what are the chances of seeing this manga in print now?

I'd love having the volumes around to lend to my friends and family.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So far, so good, Crunchyroll. Now pick up I Am A Hero and Boys on the Run please~ :allears:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Edit: Eh whatever.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 15, 2014

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Looks like it will be only have 3 more volumes.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-15/a-silent-voice-koe-no-katachi-manga-to-end-in-3-more-volumes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On the one hand, that's kinda disappointing, on the other, that means the series is only half over, and hopefully means the author has had it all planned out from the start.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm actually glad it's a planned series instead of a lets-see-how-long-can-we-milk-it series.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's nice that it'll be on CR. I don't really like their reader, but if it means a more accurate translation and the author is getting some renumeration I'll probably end up reading their version.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It also means no more annoying logos plastered all over the new chapter.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Captain Invictus posted:

On the one hand, that's kinda disappointing, on the other, that means the series is only half over, and hopefully means the author has had it all planned out from the start.

She's said from the start she wanted it to go between 4 and 10 volumes without dragging things out so 5 or 6 (I think) is right in that number. It's definitely planned because it's way too popular to be suddenly cancelled. And I'm glad that means either there's no pressure from editors, or she's not bowing to said pressure, to drag the series out. She's telling the story she wants to tell in the length she wants to tell it.

Chas McGill posted:

It's nice that it'll be on CR. I don't really like their reader, but if it means a more accurate translation and the author is getting some renumeration I'll probably end up reading their version.

I doubt any money the author gets from Crunchyroll subscriptions, after that money goes to CR and the publisher, is anything other than a small amount. Honestly if you want to support the author you'd probably do a better job buying the tankobons. IIRC royalties for tankobon sales are something like 10% so for a series that's sold 700k on three volumes (the third of which isn't actually out yet) that's probably a decent take.

GoatLord posted:

It also means no more annoying logos plastered all over the new chapter.

IIRC the reason for the logos is because it somehow gets published in a Chinese magazine a few days before Weekly Shonen so the scans all come from a Chinese scanner.

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 15, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Suben posted:

She's said from the start she wanted it to go between 4 and 10 volumes without dragging things out so 5 or 6 (I think) is right in that number. It's definitely planned because it's way too popular to be suddenly cancelled. And I'm glad that means either there's no pressure from editors, or she's not bowing to said pressure, to drag the series out. She's telling the story she wants to tell in the length she wants to tell it.

I doubt any money the author gets from Crunchyroll subscriptions, after that money goes to CR and the publisher, is anything other than a small amount. Honestly if you want to support the author you'd probably do a better job buying the tankobons. IIRC royalties for tankobon sales are something like 10% so for a series that's sold 700k on three volumes (the third of which isn't actually out yet) that's probably a decent take.

IIRC the reason for the logos is because it somehow gets published in a Chinese magazine a few days before Weekly Shonen so the scans all come from a Chinese scanner.

Yeah the chinese scans come up super fast, but sometimes there are some weird translation issues from what I have noticed (or maybe my chinese just sucks, but like the ferris wheel scene from earlier was not clear what Shouko was saying at the very end, leading to me being very puzzled). So for instance the Chinese translation came up earlier today, and usually comes up on Sundays late in the evening. It would make sense that the English translation effort piggybacked off their work.

Which brings me to the current issues, not nearly as depressing as we were led to believe from the end of last chapter? oh no everyone was right about granny dying, but... just the tone dances around it the whole time until you get to her taking pictures of dead things and then granny pops up... :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Chapter is already out at Crunchyroll and well...

:smith:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They pulled it off, they introduced a character only to kill them off in the next chapter and it worked, it really did. This is in a large part due to the conversation at the fast food place, where Yuzuru acted talked around the issue in such a way that everyone knew what was up, but it gave Shouya an interesting shell to break. It's a little bit exhausting how intense this series is every week but god I love it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm still really disappointed that's where they took it, but I am extremely impressed at how they handled it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I was disappointed that they went through with it, but the conversation in the cafe was really well done. Yuzuru's attitude was so true to character, too. The visual metaphor with the creamers was actually really effective.

I paid extra to get crunchyroll all access so I could read this in higher quality. Just a shame there isn't much else to read on there except Inside Mari or whatever it's called.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They also have Spirit Circle, Attack on Titan, Fortress of the Apocalypse, and Soredemo Machi, all of which are at the very least good, if not outstanding. Spirit Circle doubly so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chas McGill posted:

I paid extra to get crunchyroll all access so I could read this in higher quality. Just a shame there isn't much else to read on there except Inside Mari or whatever it's called.

Spirit Circle is pretty good, but of course they're missing most of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They've been getting better at filling in the backlog. They tend to put up older chapters simultaneously with new chapters, more or less a volume worth at a time.

• Locked thread