Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recommendations, if I end up reading any of them I'll post my impressions in more relevant threads.

I'm curious about the inspiration for the series, eg: is the author deaf herself, or is it based on real attitudes towards disabled kids in Japanese society/schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Bullying in japan comes to mind. I haven't the faintest clue how bad it is but then, young teenagers are hosed up anywhere.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It must be pretty accurate since there was a campaign to keep the story from being published since 'it painted the japanese society on an unflattering light'.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Japan, from what I have seen so YMMV, has a real issue of forcing every square problem through the same round hole with a who-cares attitude to the actual concerns and aftermath.

Bullied because you are deaf? Just stop being deaf! :bang:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 21, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Suben posted a link on page 3 about bullying in Japan from an American(?) perspective

http://thisjapaneselife.org/2013/06/12/japan-ijime-bullies/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Translation of the next chapter floating around on /a/

drat everyone in this family loves Shouya now.

Incoming mom suicide :unsmigghh:

e: vvv cripplingly low self-esteem doesn't count as a disability :colbert:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You know, at this point I'm starting to feel like this series is 'Can't see, Can't hear but Love' all over again :smith:

Edit: ^ I was thinking about how 'I can't hear..' mixed funny and lighthearted chapters with soul crushing despair.

The chapter is already up on Crunchyroll or your reader of trust, the author keeps sending curveballs :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 27, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ok i actually went and read Can't See and this comic has absolutely nothing on that. when even the loving dog has a tragic backstory you know things are getting sad.

also where the gently caress is the conclusion

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
New comic is up in Chinese. Pretty cute chapter after a kind of heartbreaking intro to how Shouko's mom got such a bad break. Pretty much only Shimada left to humanize? Well Ueno too, but she might be a lost cause. Reaction to Shouya and co. trying to cheer up Shouko's sister is classic.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Haha, oh my god. This comic is some sort of olympics for most loathsome human being ever. Can we have Ueno back now?

Also, Ishida continues his streak of most awkward dude ever

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=763&chapter_num=32.00

Chapter's out

Man, and here I thought Ueno was bad...

Shouko's dad is a loving rear end in a top hat :argh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=763&chapter_num=32.00

Chapter's out

Man, and here I thought Ueno was bad...

There's always someone bigger, better, or more dickish than you, I guess?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I guess they don't have any child support laws in Japan?

And now Shoya is starting to act like a cat. "I got you a present. It's a dead bird. Do you like it?" :catstare:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not just that. His entire side of the family are a bunch of unmitigated unlikable shitheads. Them all running out when they did was probably the best result for Shouko and Yuzuru, honestly, even if it still wasn't good.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

gently caress everything jesus christ. That family. Still a heartwarming end but still.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Not just that. His entire side of the family are a bunch of unmitigated unlikable shitheads. Them all running out when they did was probably the best result for Shouko and Yuzuru, honestly, even if it still wasn't good.

Given that the event made Shouko's mom subscribe to the Heihachi Mishima school of child rearing...

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I don't know if that's a realistic stance over there but her father and relatives acted way too cartoony evil for this series, I mean, even people who hated Ueno's guts had to admit what she said had some degree of sense even if it's wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The saddest part about it is that it's NOT that unrealistic. And not Japan-exclusive, even. They didn't want to taint their pure family blood with a defective child so they disowned it and the mother who gave birth to it. My grandmother was similar, outright refusing to speak to partners of her children that she didn't approve of. My sister once told me about a child with downs syndrome she babysat, whose parents got a divorce because the father was disappointed that they produced "damaged goods". It's unfortunate, but it happens, though maybe not as often to the extent shown here.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The divorce over Shouko isn't the unrealistic part, it's that the husband's family was so loving evil about it and went as far as to blame Shouko's mom or say that it was karma or something. The thing is, this is hot blooded shonen romance we're talking about. Scenes that could have suggested something through subtext instead bring everything to the surface, and while no characters are really evil their actions are unquestionably either bad or good. Considering that this is an all ages story about a topic that really doesn't have anything other than obvious right or wrongs, this is exactly how it should be.

While they might have gone too far in this chapter, I'd rather they do that than suddenly try to make things "realistic" by adding moral grey areas. That simply isn't what kind of story this is.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Devil Tesla posted:

The divorce over Shouko isn't the unrealistic part, it's that the husband's family was so loving evil about it and went as far as to blame Shouko's mom or say that it was karma or something. The thing is, this is hot blooded shonen romance we're talking about. Scenes that could have suggested something through subtext instead bring everything to the surface, and while no characters are really evil their actions are unquestionably either bad or good. Considering that this is an all ages story about a topic that really doesn't have anything other than obvious right or wrongs, this is exactly how it should be.

While they might have gone too far in this chapter, I'd rather they do that than suddenly try to make things "realistic" by adding moral grey areas. That simply isn't what kind of story this is.

People are like this, my sister have special needs and when I used to accompany her an my mom to therapy I met plenty of kids that suffered things like that. Is easier to bail and blame the other party than face things and work towards the kid well being.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

People are like this, my sister have special needs and when I used to accompany her an my mom to therapy I met plenty of kids that suffered things like that. Is easier to bail and blame the other party than face things and work towards the kid well being.

Oh I know, but were they all told it was divine punishment or something like that? Actually wait that probably happens a lot ignore me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh I know, but were they all told it was divine punishment or something like that? Actually wait that probably happens a lot ignore me.

You have no idea :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Devil Tesla posted:

It does, here in a the UK a famous football manager and noted religious nut got into a lot of trouble for suggesting that disabilities were some sort of divine punishment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Even though I'm sure it happens in the real world a lot of the time, and having a deaf child is no doubt a serious challenge but doing everything you can to abandon your own child just because things didn't go the way you want is beyond scumbag. I'm glad the grandmother pointed out it wasn't the end of the world.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nitpicking here, but this better have the happiest damned ending of all time. I want my computer screen to shine so brightly I am burned away by the overwhelming sense of saccharine.:colbert:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The thing that makes this seem cartoonishly evil is that she's deaf, and I don't want to :goonsay: at all and belittle the challenges faced by parents of deaf children, but it could be orders of magnitudes worse. If that's all it took to detonate the family, there can't have been much of a family there to begin with, you know? I don't doubt that this sort of thing happens more often than I'd like to think about in families with disabled children, though. It's far more off-putting given the context because when it's bullying at school, kids are stupid and don't have a moral compass calibrated yet, but when it's coming from adults it's completely reprehensible.

If there's anything I'm glad for, it's that the whole thing was very condensed and got the point across very clearly. It's a necessary step in the characterization of the mother, but didn't need to be lingered on lest it drag everything down with it.

That aside, I like how every time compliments fly in this manga, they're like a bullet pointed list that gets more ridiculously hammy with each point. I was half expecting another "This bread is also good bread".

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 3, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, the parents are pantomime villains. It was interesting to read the latest chapter after watching the first few episodes of Switched at Birth*, which features a deaf girl as one of the main characters. The reaction to her deafness isn't nearly as bad as in this, but there's a similar scene where the girl's parent is blamed for 'allowing' the child to contract the disease that causes the deafness. In the case of SaB it was meningitis, which is slightly different to a virus during pregnancy, but obviously blame is inappropriate in either situation.

*I'm three episodes in and probably won't watch any more since the acting (deaf girl aside) is hammy and the writing has a certain sentimentality that puts me off. The usual ABC Family stuff. It's interesting to see the similarities and differences between the two stories, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, the parents are pantomime villains. It was interesting to read the latest chapter after watching the first few episodes of Switched at Birth*, which features a deaf girl as one of the main characters. The reaction to her deafness isn't nearly as bad as in this, but there's a similar scene where the girl's parent is blamed for 'allowing' the child to contract the disease that causes the deafness. In the case of SaB it was meningitis, which is slightly different to a virus during pregnancy, but obviously blame is inappropriate in either situation.

*I'm three episodes in and probably won't watch any more since the acting (deaf girl aside) is hammy and the writing has a certain sentimentality that puts me off. The usual ABC Family stuff. It's interesting to see the similarities and differences between the two stories, though.

The big difference would probably be that in SaB, being set in an American environment there will always be a huge network of support for people like that. Its openly acknowledged and parents are encouraged to get help from other people dealing with the same issue.

In Japan its probably more like "keep it as hidden as possible and don't talk about with anyone"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

The big difference would probably be that in SaB, being set in an American environment there will always be a huge network of support for people like that. Its openly acknowledged and parents are encouraged to get help from other people dealing with the same issue.

In Japan its probably more like "keep it as hidden as possible and don't talk about with anyone"

ahahahahahahahaha that's just precious. Maybe if you're lucky enough to be middle class in the northeast

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

pentyne posted:

white people.txt

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

I cannot believe you wrote that

KoB
May 1, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

ahahahahahahahaha that's just precious. Maybe if you're lucky enough to be middle class in the northeast

Its nice that so many people still think so highly of humanity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Deaf Community isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. I'm reminded of the deaf parents who didn't want their child to be able to hear (there was some surgery or hearing aid or something available) because they thought it would distance her from their community. Deaf people literally have their own language, so it's not much of a surprise that they've developed their own isolated subculture.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Clarste posted:

Deaf people literally have their own language

More than one, even.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
What ever happened to Sho's mom's Brazilian boyfriend?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
It was his sister's boyfriend; they had a kid and then he left her. Shouya picks up his niece in one of the chapters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The implied teen pregnancy drama happened offscreen.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
New chapter's up on Crunchyroll

Compared to last week we have less outright evil and more everyday selfishness from our antagonists.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

jackofarcades posted:

New chapter's up on Crunchyroll

Compared to last week we have less outright evil and more everyday selfishness from our antagonists.

Also, Nagatsuka being a startlingly good artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What a great chapter :unsmith:

So is possible for the handsome guy to be legit?

I don't know if I could stand another wolf on sheep clothing :ohdear:

• Locked thread