Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What a great chapter :unsmith:

So is possible for the handsome guy to be legit?

I don't know if I could stand another wolf on sheep clothing :ohdear:

I'd like to think that he's just an air head and is too dumb to be actively malicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Realllllly don't trust these three at all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I don't get their deal. Like, why are they hanging around with the ~loser crew~ who want to include the loving CRIPPLE instead of doing their own thing? Unless it's Uena dragging the rest of them along.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I don't get their deal. Like, why are they hanging around with the ~loser crew~ who want to include the loving CRIPPLE instead of doing their own thing? Unless it's Uena dragging the rest of them along.

Handsome guy wants to hang out with the MC for unclear reasons. Formerly glasses girl wants to hang out with handsome guy, but is too awkward to ask him out alone so she prefers group activities. She invited Ueno to round out the female-male ratio and to hook her up with MC (two birds with one stone). Only handsome guy's motivations are really mysterious at all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man I just want to believe that handsome guy is just a legitimately nice dude who just wanted to hang out with no ulterior motives, just so we can have one character who isn't two-faced outside our core group of friends.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It's obvious that they're supposed to be viewed with suspicion because Shouya has the worlds biggest Trust Issues. Really, Mashiba is just Some Dude, Kawai is just Some Girl That Does Whatever Her Crush Does, and Ueno is a breath of fresh air after Loathsome Paternal Family

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
After Oregairu, I'm willing to accept that sometimes a nice, popular, good-looking guy in a story about awkward social outcasts is actually exactly as nice as he appears.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think Kawai is two-faced, she's just insensitive. In that she doesn't realize what she's poking around in. She thinks they're just teens hanging out with no baggage at all. I also implicitly trust handsome guy because it would be a bit contrived for him to be up to something.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back

Clarste posted:

The Deaf Community isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. I'm reminded of the deaf parents who didn't want their child to be able to hear (there was some surgery or hearing aid or something available) because they thought it would distance her from their community. Deaf people literally have their own language, so it's not much of a surprise that they've developed their own isolated subculture.

You talking about Sound and Fury? They did a follow-up and they all have implants now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I didn't know there was a film, but I guess that's the same matter I was thinking of.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't trust Kawai or the guy, but they put up with Afrogoon remarkably well.

John Carstairs posted:

Also, Nagatsuka being a startlingly good artist.
Yeah, that was cool. I'd be creeped out by it if I were Shouya though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Oh Ueno, you spiteful, horrible creature. 10 million dollars says you haven't even read the letter.
Also Kawai can go to hell.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Count me in for (tentatively) trusting Mashiba. So far, I don't think he's given us any reason to think he has an ulterior motive beyond wanting to hang out with that wacky guy in class that jumps off bridges. Plus, he did (:siren: Chapter 33 Spoilers :siren:) support Nagatsuka's decision to let Shoko help with the movie when the others were just sitting there kind of slack-jawed, even if you want to interpret those ellipses in his dialogue as some hesitation on his part. At this point, it's probably down to how optimistic you personally feel. :v: (And, boy, do I want some more genuinely nice supporting characters in this comic besides, like, Sahara.)

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Chapter 34 is pretty much all about Mashiba, your questions will soon be answered!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

ok i actually went and read Can't See and this comic has absolutely nothing on that. when even the loving dog has a tragic backstory you know things are getting sad.

also where the gently caress is the conclusion

You're in luck!

A new chapter just dropped!

:smith:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Chapter 34's up on Crunchyroll now.

Man, Mashiba seems like a really decent guy so far; I wonder where this is all going to lead.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
This week in Koe no Katachi, Shoko reveals she has been playing the long game and, after five long years, finally exacts her revenge:

(This does not actually happen.)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Should be interesting to see Mashiba's reaction if he ever finds out about Shouya's past, which will probably happen given they're going to the elementary school. They'll probably run into that old teacher too..

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

Man, Mashiba seems like a really decent guy so far; I wonder where this is all going to lead.

Nowhere good, obviously. There's so many ways this can go wrong and I love that they're doing it without having to introduce some new villain.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well poo poo, Mashiba does seem like a good guy if somewhat 'intense'. He'd probably chew out Ueno were to know the poo poo she pulls.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Gee, I guess he's a good guy after all, but man, Mashiba just has eyes that look like they're always mocking you, somehow.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Gee, I guess he's a good guy after all, but man, Mashiba just has eyes that look like they're always mocking you, somehow.

I wonder it's because of the perspective. Our dude is pretty paranoid

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I sense a beatdown coming.

I'm pretty curious about Kawai's script and I hope there'll be a chapter showing what the film actually looks like. It'd be pretty cool if they made it a silent film or used sign language for the dialogue.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Most probably here:

Allarion posted:

Should be interesting to see Mashiba's reaction if he ever finds out about Shouya's past, which will probably happen given they're going to the elementary school. They'll probably run into that old teacher too..

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, after finally reading the newest chapter, I got the feeling that Mashiba's just generally an alright guy but if he stays that way after inevitably finding out about Shouya's elementary school days or not depends on whether he believes that Shouya's turnabout is legit I guess. If he thinks it's just a con to hurt Shouko more, he probably won't stay cool for long. :ohdear:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just started reading this, and it really didn't take long for the bullying to start. It's almost painful to read. Everyone is a dick, all the time, and even that one male teacher is an rear end in a top hat. As great as the story is, I hope it doesn't stay as oppressive as it's started out.

e: And just after I post that, I get to chapter 6 and a wonderful breath of fresh air.

e2: Ch 7: gently caress you, mom.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 20, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I just started reading this, and it really didn't take long for the bullying to start. It's almost painful to read. Everyone is a dick, all the time, and even that one male teacher is an rear end in a top hat. As great as the story is, I hope it doesn't stay as oppressive as it's started out.

If you think that's all, wait till you get to Ueno! :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just got to 32:

Oh what the gently caress? I want to punch that guy's whole family.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, after finally reading the newest chapter, I got the feeling that Mashiba's just generally an alright guy but if he stays that way after inevitably finding out about Shouya's elementary school days or not depends on whether he believes that Shouya's turnabout is legit I guess. If he thinks it's just a con to hurt Shouko more, he probably won't stay cool for long. :ohdear:

Agreed. I don't think it'll be that extreme though. There will definitely be a bit of tension and conflict when Ishida tell him, but I doubt there'll be a lasting schism between the two. At the very least, I think we can trust him not to be another Ueno.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 20, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
New chapter is up in Chinese. Shouya's face during the most awkward conversation ever is fantastic. Mashiba continues to be the anti-ueno. Overall one more thing resolved (old school memories).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter 35's out on Crunchyroll. I slightly worry about Mashiba, but he seems to be an all right dude overall. If there isn't any conflict between him and Shouya, then it'll probably come up with Kawai when the story decides to focus on her.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

Chapter 35's out on Crunchyroll. I slightly worry about Mashiba, but he seems to be an all right dude overall. If there isn't any conflict between him and Shouya, then it'll probably come up with Kawai when the story decides to focus on her.

Mashiba's too reckless and that could spell trouble down the line but he's a cool guy. And as always, Shouko steals the show every time she shows up :allears:

Funny thing I just realized, a few chapters ago we were talking about that 'handsome guy' and now we call him by his name, just like Shouya and his Xs! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gently caress yeah, Mashiba's a total bro. :respek:

This was one of the few chapters that didn't give me an ominous feeling of apprehension. I guess things really are looking up for the pals!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mashiba is righteous to the point of self destruction, I believe. It is definitely going to cause him and I am sure others plenty of trouble in future chapters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It is going to be the best trouble though :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Mashiba is righteous to the point of self destruction, I believe. It is definitely going to cause him and I am sure others plenty of trouble in future chapters.

That's the best way to put it I think. His head's in the right place, but he's got a very short fuse and doesn't bother with diplomacy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

That's the best way to put it I think. His head's in the right place, but he's got a very short fuse and doesn't bother with diplomacy.

Not that teacher guy really deserved diplomacy, though. He's kind of an unrepentant shithead.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Slime posted:

Not that teacher guy really deserved diplomacy, though. He's kind of an unrepentant shithead.

Keep in mind that Mashiba got the idea than Shouya and Shouko were 'victims', I'm sure he will change his tune were to know what Shouya exactly did.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Slime posted:

One of the themes of the story so far is that communication is the way to solve problems. If Shouya hadn't gone to apologize to Shouko, he would have committed suicide, which would have solved nothing and only caused problems for everyone around him. All Mashiba did was satisfy his own impulses and make the teacher tell him and Shouya to gently caress off.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 23, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know, throwing a water bottle in someone's face is a form of communication.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Keep in mind that Mashiba got the idea than Shouya and Shouko were 'victims', I'm sure he will change his tune were to know what Shouya exactly did.

Here's the thing, the teacher's problem is that he doesn't realize he hosed up, and actually credits himself for stopping it when he saw it. Shouya is the exact opposite, placing far more blame on himself than he deserves. I expect a conflict between them to explode brightly but be cathartic in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the end, they were both victims, particularly of this awful teacher. Mashiba's clearly got a short fuse but he can probably see the difference between the teacher saying "all that bullying you received sure turned you into a swell guy" and a guy who has a palpable cloud of guilt over his head day in and day out. Guilt so strong that he nearly committed suicide, and learned sign language on the slim chance that he ever happened to run into the person he bullied sometime before that happened.

It will manifest as a conflict, and Shouya will very likely say he deserves whatever comes to him in that event, but there's a clear resolution there.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread