Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
At the end, all comes to Mashiba willingness to listen Shouya's story. If the story comes from another source but Shouya (let's say Kawai) I doubt things will end well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Hopefully they'll become awesome bros because he's quite a righteous person. Maybe a bit extreme... but hopefully rational enough to understand the situation.

Though I don't like glasses girl and ueno getting more involved because they are both pretty terrible people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Though I don't like glasses girl and ueno getting more involved because they are both pretty terrible people.

I think that's just the attitude the school encouraged for a class president. "Everythibg is fine, everybody is friends" so she has blinders about what's going on.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That teacher is such a piece of poo poo. He's easily the worst one.

edit: Do they mention what town this story takes place in or does anyone know where the artist lives? Because I think it might be my town. The bridge where they always meet looked kind of familiar but it wasn't till later that they showed more of the area and I realized how much it looked like a park near my apartment.

I got some pictures for comparison. http://imgur.com/a/SfwzQ

I think they mentioned taking a trip to Nagoya at one point which is only about 30 minutes by train so it would fit too.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 27, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks like we'll finally be getting a new chapter after three weeks of nothing come this Tuesday. Golden Week!!! :argh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Can't help but think the teacher's reformed himself, at least a little.

It honestly sounded like he was goading just to get a reaction from the kid so he could gauge it and see if he'd changed his opinions of our little deafskirt.

It'd be nice, at least. Nothing like a 'Other people can change, too. Even adults.' lecture/revelation to give a kid some perspective.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatman was here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

WarpedNaba posted:

Can't help but think the teacher's reformed himself, at least a little.

It honestly sounded like he was goading just to get a reaction from the kid so he could gauge it and see if he'd changed his opinions of our little deafskirt.

It'd be nice, at least. Nothing like a 'Other people can change, too. Even adults.' lecture/revelation to give a kid some perspective.

He already missed his chance. The teacher ignored the bullying either because having her in class was inconvenient to him, or because he just couldn't be bothered. When things got so bad the the principal started asking questions, he just threw Shouya under the bus. There was no effort to fix things, or address the problem at all.

His big opportunity to redeem himself was lost when he did the exact same thing to Shouya. He ignored the whole situation since he knew they'd all graduate before it became a big enough problem. I'd argue it was actually worse this time since he told the rest of the class that what they were doing was fine and it was just this one kid who was the problem.

Any redeeming conversation should have started with "Sorry for almost driving you to suicide."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I don't see the teacher being redeemed at all. He works really well of an example of everything going wrong.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, I see his approval of Ishida standing up for his more rebellious friends as a sign of his guilt.

Also, he learned sign language. The teacher learned sign language. Just like Ishida did.

See, you did grow into a fine young man after all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, I see his approval of Ishida standing up for his more rebellious friends as a sign of his guilt.

Also, he learned sign language. The teacher learned sign language. Just like Ishida did.

See, you did grow into a fine young man after all.

I feel like that's more to sate his guilt than to actually make amends because as far as we know he's never bothered to contact her once.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The fact that he actually feels guilty over that is still a step in the right direction, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Maybe him learning sign language was a directive from his superiors in case a similar situation happened again. Either that, or he had another deaf student and decided not to make the same mistakes. I could definitely see the introduction of another deaf character soon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Where are you guys getting that the teacher knows sign language? He's surprised to see her at the school but I don't think he knows what they are saying.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well, there was a bit near the end of that chapter where it sure looked like he was reading their signs:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Or that he was surprised that Shouya knew sign language and was friends with Shouko?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, there really wasnt anything there that you could infer about him actually knowing sign language. I can tell people are communicating with sign language without knowing the peculiarities of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dragonatrix posted:

Or that he was surprised that Shouya knew sign language and was friends with Shouko?

It sounds like he's translating to himself. What he's saying aren't exactly exclamations of surprise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The new chapter was... a little odd. I didn't see point of that chapter until he outright said it at the very end.

e: He certainly does, but it felt contrived. He's never been this much of a shithead before now so his sudden change in demeanor gave me whiplash.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 14, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

The new chapter was... a little odd. I didn't see point of that chapter until he outright said it at the very end.

:psyduck: You weren't kidding

Nagatsuma really has issues though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter.

I actually wasn't able to read it off crunchyroll's manga reader, just from their iOS app, so you might have to go to other sources to read the chapter. Well, looks like we'll get to finally see what Kawai's been writing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
God drat Ishida is really starting to lose it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like this is going to end with him sitting everyone down and letting it all out, and some will accept he has changed while others will hate him for it. They also mentioned a bully being one of the movie characters right? Bet it's based on him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, I bet Ishida will made something stupid by being paranoid and I didn't expect for Mashiba to been bullied on the past

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I dunno, in this situation I cant help but feel that he could be right to be paranoid. The people from his old school have proven they can be lovely people on more than a few occasions and remember that Shouya has also been pretty badly bullied over the years. He has lots of emotional trauma from everything that happened (arguably much worse than the others) and who could blame him for being terrified of being a social pariah again? When reading this chapter I found it very easy to empathise with how he must feel with Mashiba and co saying such ominous stuff and honestly I think he would be better off just coming clean to him and explaining what happened. One of the big themes in this manga is that people should communicate with others better and its never been more true than it has been in the past few chapters.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Enough of them have only seen him as the relatively well-adjusted man they know. In that situation, it wouldn't be too hard for them to be convinced that he's reformed.

Granted, there'll be a few fist fights, but Nishimiya would be happy enough to stand up for him.

What DID she see in him back in those days?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
loving Mashiba... He's as blunt as crushing an ant with the moon. I feel bad for him being bullied, but his attitude is really pissing me off.

But in his defense, he seems to think that Ishida was just a victim of bullying and he wants to try and connect with him by insulting other bullies. Not the healthiest way to think, however.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allarion posted:

New chapter.

I actually wasn't able to read it off crunchyroll's manga reader, just from their iOS app, so you might have to go to other sources to read the chapter. Well, looks like we'll get to finally see what Kawai's been writing.

So, regarding the end, does he suspect that Kawai was secretly spreading the info on him that he was the one who made Nishimiya leave the school?

I also reread the previous chapter. The more I see of him, the more I dislike Nagatsuka. He's just starting to come off as obsessive and deranged, and he really gives me the creeps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The feeling I'm getting from this is that it's nice to have friends, but you shouldn't just be friends with people because you're afraid to be alone. There was a certain desperation in his assertion at the end of this chapter: (paraphrase) "I wanna be in this group forever!".

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm still somewhat tickled at the irony of a bunch of people decided the best way to deal with too much bullying is to step up how much they bully people.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They're teenagers, logic ain't really a strong point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm still somewhat tickled at the irony of a bunch of people decided the best way to deal with too much bullying is to step up how much they bully people.

Which part are you talking about?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

WarpedNaba posted:

They're teenagers, logic ain't really a strong point.

I don't know how much experience you have with the business world, but you might be surprised at how many people never grow out of a high/junior high school mentality.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ViggyNash posted:

Which part are you talking about?

The entire premise of the story is that the class bullies a girl and one guy takes it too far. So the rest of the class decides he's too much of a bully and starts bullying him in retaliation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr_Amazing posted:

The entire premise of the story is that the class bullies a girl and one guy takes it too far. So the rest of the class decides he's too much of a bully and starts bullying him in retaliation.

And what happens if the school decided to start bullying the class?

Hmm... I guess then it'd turn into Assassination Classroom! :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Dr_Amazing posted:

My impression was always that they turned on him because he got caught and they wanted to distance themselves from him in order to save their own skin. Especially since they don't seem to have a problem with the bullying literally one panel before the meeting with the principal when it all comes out:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I saw it less as them stepping up the bullying as them doing more of the same, just to a new target.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Oh man this manga is just so.. Cute. :3:

ViggyNash posted:

I saw it less as them stepping up the bullying as them doing more of the same, just to a new target.

Yeah. Even the teacher was starting to laugh but when consequences came down, nobody wanted to take the blame, and Ishida was the most vocal offender.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Between this, GTO and Assasination Classroom, the Japanese education system seems to be really hosed up.

GTO?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Anatharon posted:

Oh man this manga is just so.. Cute. :3:

Yeah. Even the teacher was starting to laugh but when consequences came down, nobody wanted to take the blame, and Ishida was the most vocal offender.

GTO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Teacher_Onizuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

About a former bike gang leader that becomes a teacher and gives no fucks about the established system and just tries to be the best he can. But he gets saddled with a group of kids out for teachers' blood, sending Onizuka's predecessor into depression with an eating disorder.

• Locked thread