Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
I really love the phrase "you will be pursued by failures." Is there an alternate way to translate this into English or are the Russians just that :black101:?

EDIT:

squeegee fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Is the "rasputitsa" still a huge deal or are there enough paved roads through the region that it doesn't matter as much now?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

utjkju posted:

I can not answer for these questions, because is forbidden to distribute office information.

I wrote : "The British, who work in Russia and with whom we communicate". These British are not my coworkers.

LOL, that's a very Russian answer, no offense :cheeky:

What's the main industry in your city? What drives the economy of West Siberia?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".

SHISHKABOB posted:

How often do you see bears? Are they big bears? What about moose or large deer-like animals?

5-6 times in year i see bears and moose or large deer-like animals in a zoo in city Novosibirsk.
But onсe i met bear in nature reserve Ergaki. . That day i did not go on a mountain. I was left in camp for climbers.
We knew that in nature reserve Ergaki wаlked bears. They (bears) stole food at camp for climbers. Therefore we hanged knapsack with food on a tree.
But that day climbers which went on the mountain took away cordage.
I moved a backpack far away from tent under a tree that the bear didn't get into tent. Then i cooked food for climbers which went on the mountain. Also I left a pan with porridge near a tree.
I sleeped in tent. I heard that at the camp someone went and rattled ware. I thought that climbers returned. But climbers didn't speak among themselves. This was strange. I asked: "Who here? " To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr". I understood that it was the bear. I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
The bear ate all porridge which I cooked for climbers. Then bear left. This was the small bear.
Climbers returned at night. I told them abot bear. They told me that they met bear too. They told me that Lena saw an rear end of a bear and cried: "What terrible rear end! " The bear escaped.
I saw moose when i was in geological practice.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Chinatown posted:

This thread is really enjoyable! Your english is quite good also.

Thank you. :)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Hoover Dam posted:

We used the Russian word for that in English--"perestroika." "Perestroika" and "glasnost" were very big topics on American news when they started.

In the US and Canada, those are either perogi or vareniky, depending on whether your town had lots of immigrants from Poland or Ukraine. And they're delicious.

What is the mood in Siberia about the Olympics? Are you excited, proud, happy?

Perogi we cook from yeast dough. Vareniky have not meat stuffing. Pelmeny (пельмени) have meat stuffing.
As we have a dish from Uzbek cuisine - chuchvra. Chuchvara is borsch with pelmeni and adjika sauce.

Anna Mirtova will represent our city and Russia at the Olympic Games. She acts in slopestyle. All of us are glad for she.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

http://www.ergaki-park.ru/photogallery/details.php?image_id=64
Web site "Nature reserve Ergaki " (photo)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

squeegee posted:

I really love the phrase "you will be pursued by failures." Is there an alternate way to translate this into English or are the Russians just that :black101:?

EDIT:

"If you observe rules that you show respect to daemons. And daemons love you.
If you break a ban, you will be pursued by failures. This is a rule boomerang. "

Many people in our country believe that if if the person makes to other person (or to a animal or to daemon) the evil that this evil will return in one of these fine days to the person which makes this evil. The evil as a boomerang comes back to the owner.
Phrase "you will be pursued by failures." means that to you won't be possible to disappear from evil return which you made. Evil, which you made, find you.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Earwicker posted:

Is the "rasputitsa" still a huge deal or are there enough paved roads through the region that it doesn't matter as much now?

There are enough paved roads through the region. "Rasputitsa" does matter for small villages, which very far away from city.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Squalid posted:

LOL, that's a very Russian answer, no offense :cheeky:

What's the main industry in your city? What drives the economy of West Siberia?

:) I am from Russia.

Sand mining (oil and gas extraction, iron, coal mining) and harvesting of wood drives the economy of West Siberia.

In Tomsk the enterprises of various industries: enterprises of oil and gas branch, pharmaceutical industry, food industries, production of construction materials, production of medical equipment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What other places have you traveled to? Other countries? What was it like being a tourist there?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What temperature do you keep your house at? I live in Canada, normally I set the thermostat to 17 in the winter. Right now I have an American roommate so the temperature is 21.

How much does the extreme cold affect physical things? When it gets below -25 here, opening the door creates a wall of fog, touchscreen phones don't work properly, and my porch makes loud cracking noises from the wood contracting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is a really cool thread. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

utjkju posted:

:) I am from Russia.

Sand mining (oil and gas extraction, iron, coal mining) and harvesting of wood drives the economy of West Siberia.

In Tomsk the enterprises of various industries: enterprises of oil and gas branch, pharmaceutical industry, food industries, production of construction materials, production of medical equipment.

Do you feel any concern about the sustainability of these industries? How do most people in your town feel about that? What do you look foward to in the future for your area?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
You might feel uncomfortable answering this, but given the whole Sochi/gay rights thing, what's it like for LGBT people in Siberia? Do you know any people who are?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I once read a travel log of Siberia - it was called "In Siberia" by Colin Thubron. Anyway, at one point he was on a train when his fellow passengers let him know his hair was full of these black insects. Thubron was horrified, and brushed them out of his hair, and fellow travelers spent a few merry moments stamping them. Thubron then explained that in Siberia, there are insects that live in trees and can see in infra-red, and they wait for warm blooded things to go beneath their tree, so they can drop on them and burrow into their skin. I'm not sure if it is to lay eggs or what, but in humans since they usually land on the head, they burrow inside and cause encephalitis. So from spring to midsummer, anybody walking outside always has to keep their head covered.

I'm interested in Siberia because it sounds like Canada, my home country in some ways, but I got to that part and was all :stare:

First question: So, is this true? Is it just some parts of Siberia you have to worry about those...things?

Second question: have you ever been to Lake Baikal?

Third Question: Have you ever driven a UAZ Bukhanka? If so, what is it like?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

utjkju posted:

Perogi we cook from yeast dough. Vareniky have not meat stuffing. Pelmeny (пельмени) have meat stuffing.
As we have a dish from Uzbek cuisine - chuchvra. Chuchvara is borsch with pelmeni and adjika sauce.

Anna Mirtova will represent our city and Russia at the Olympic Games. She acts in slopestyle. All of us are glad for she.

I have seen both pelmeni and vareniki called "perogies" in Canada. You just can't get good pelmeni here at all :(

Nebakenezzer posted:

I once read a travel log of Siberia - it was called "In Siberia" by Colin Thubron. Anyway, at one point he was on a train when his fellow passengers let him know his hair was full of these black insects. Thubron was horrified, and brushed them out of his hair, and fellow travelers spent a few merry moments stamping them. Thubron then explained that in Siberia, there are insects that live in trees and can see in infra-red, and they wait for warm blooded things to go beneath their tree, so they can drop on them and burrow into their skin. I'm not sure if it is to lay eggs or what, but in humans since they usually land on the head, they burrow inside and cause encephalitis. So from spring to midsummer, anybody walking outside always has to keep their head covered.

Ticks don't live in Canada?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

On this note, how are the Mosquitoes in Siberia? In Canada they like to hide in tall grass when it gets too windy, and swarm in huge masses when somebody unfortunate disturbs them.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pick posted:

What other places have you traveled to? Other countries? What was it like being a tourist there?

I was not in other countries. In our country are have many places, which i would like to visit. Only when i will execute my desires, I will reflect on visit of other countries.
One of my desires it to visit Ukok Plateau.

This video about Ukok Plateau.

Video by Lyudmila Druchinina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDgDx7rwZA

Video by Vadim Chepur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-tOwTt_no

And here on this pass we passed. It is the pass Katu-Yaryk.

Video by Artem Pinaev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZlYnTMBzI

Video by Alexander Michelson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA2dvQhcqi0

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What is the coolest place to go to in downtown Tomsk?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

What temperature do you keep your house at? I live in Canada, normally I set the thermostat to 17 in the winter. Right now I have an American roommate so the temperature is 21.

How much does the extreme cold affect physical things? When it gets below -25 here, opening the door creates a wall of fog, touchscreen phones don't work properly, and my porch makes loud cracking noises from the wood contracting.

In the winter we set the thermostat to 22.
Temperature of air -25 is not cold. Our physical things are intended for temperature to -50. But cars are badly started at a temperature of-28.
Touchscreen phones we carry close to the body. For example, in a trouser pocket. Therefore phones don't freeze.
At-35 on the street there is a frosty fog. And if to go for a walk, on eyelashes and a scarf there will be a hoarfrost. The clothes are make firmer.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 8, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Do you feel any concern about the sustainability of these industries? How do most people in your town feel about that? What do you look foward to in the future for your area?

We do not feel concern about the sustainability of industries. At a stable political situation there will be a stable development of economy.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

You might feel uncomfortable answering this, but given the whole Sochi/gay rights thing, what's it like for LGBT people in Siberia? Do you know any people who are?

I do not know people of LGBT.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
What do people in Tomsk do for fun?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm interested in Siberia because it sounds like Canada, my home country in some ways, but I got to that part and was all :stare:

First question: So, is this true? Is it just some parts of Siberia you have to worry about those...things?

Second question: have you ever been to Lake Baikal?

Third Question: Have you ever driven a UAZ Bukhanka? If so, what is it like?

These black insects are Kleshi ( Ixodes scapularis (lat)) . These live in high grass. These insects cling at man's body and crawl on body in search of gentle skin. When find gentle skin, bite through skin the jaws and suck blood. The saliva of insects mixes up with blood of the person. Encephalitis and Lyme's illness is transmitted through a saliva of the insect. We do inoculations against encephalitis. (Blood is necessary to insects to create posterity)
Kleshi live on all territory beyond Ural.

I have not been to Lake Baikal.

UAZ Bukhanka

utjkju fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 8, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Thank you for posting, OP. This is an interesting thread and I hope you enjoy SA.

Edit:

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

aaaaaaaaa

utjkju posted:

In the winter we set the thermostat to 22.
Temperature of air -25 is not cold. Our physical things are intended for temperature to -50. But cars are badly started at a temperature of-28.
Touchscreen phones we carry close to the body. For example, in a trouser pocket. Therefore phones don't freeze.
AAAAAAAAA

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

I do not know people of LGBT.

Just like Infamous Sphere I don't mean to offend so if I do I apologise. I'm an LGBT so I'm interested in what it would be like over in Russia.

What would it be like for me in West Siberia or in the town/city where you live?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
utjkju, unless you're in a town of just 50 people, trust the statistics; you know at least one LGBT person. What you don't know is an OPENLY gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender person - you don't know anyone who admits it. The West didn't invent boys kissing boys.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have seen both pelmeni and vareniki called "perogies" in Canada. You just can't get good pelmeni here at all :(

Can you make vareniki and pelmeny yourself?
Recipe of this dish is not the difficult.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Either way, if he doesn't know anyone who is openly LGBT then it's kind of an odd choice to ask him about it versus anything else he would know more about.

Utjkju, what are the hunting laws where you are? Do you ever go hunting for deer or rabbit? Is it common? I live in Minnesota, which is called "America's Siberia". Many people in the city do not hunt, but outside the city, it's a very common activity. The government even shoots extra deer and gives the deer meat to homeless people.

Fixed Expression
Nov 9, 2009

utjkju posted:

Siberian tigers do not live in that area. But in that area live bears, wolves, deer, foxes, squirrels, weasels, ermine, sable, wolverine, morality and many other animals.

So, are there herds of morality galloping across Siberia? Do...do you have photos?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

utjkju posted:

These black insects are Kleshi ( Ixodes scapularis (lat)) . These live in high grass. These insects cling at man's body and crawl on body in search of gentle skin. When find gentle skin, bite through skin the jaws and suck blood. The saliva of insects mixes up with blood of the person. Encephalitis and Lyme's illness is transmitted through a saliva of the insect. We do inoculations against encephalitis. (Blood is necessary to insects to create posterity)

We have those in America too! We call them ticks here, and they suck. Both literally and figuratively.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What do you think American or British think about people from Russia or specifically Siberia? As you can see from this thread, several people have already commented "that is very Russian." What do you think our ideas of Russian people are?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

On this note, how are the Mosquitoes in Siberia? In Canada they like to hide in tall grass when it gets too windy, and swarm in huge masses when somebody unfortunate disturbs them.

Our Mosquitoes like water. Them brood material live in water. Mosquitoes hide in grass near lakes, rivers. High activity to mosquitoes are on morning and for the evening. Mosquitoes fly everywhere and look for blood on morning and for evening.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Uncle Jam posted:

What is the coolest place to go to in downtown Tomsk?

For a walk coolest place is Lagerny garden for me. The best cultural place is Drama theater. Old city is beautiful place.
But i do not go to night clubs.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Hobelhouse posted:

What do people in Tomsk do for fun?

In Tomsk there are theaters, cinema, restaurants, cafe, night clubs, the museums, sports clubs. Each person can choose that most of all is pleasant to him.
In the city hold mass events. For example: Maslenitsa, day of aircraft, day of aeronautics, Children's Day, musical festivals.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
How'd you end up on this forum?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

Just like Infamous Sphere I don't mean to offend so if I do I apologise. I'm an LGBT so I'm interested in what it would be like over in Russia.

What would it be like for me in West Siberia or in the town/city where you live?

Mortley posted:

utjkju, unless you're in a town of just 50 people, trust the statistics; you know at least one LGBT person. What you don't know is an OPENLY gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender person - you don't know anyone who admits it. The West didn't invent boys kissing boys.

Among my friends isn't hold a discussion of sexual life. I am afraid that i can not answer you.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

utjkju posted:

I have not been to Lake Baikal.

UAZ Bukhanka

And sometimes, in case of Borrelia, the tick vomiting back contents of it's stomach into our bloodstream, where the Borrelia in ticks originally reside (they do transmit from saliva to, as the bacteria can migrate to saliva).

The poster asking about ticks made it sound so exotic. You don't need to go as far as Siberia to find ticks carrying TBE. They exist in Central Europe, Germany and in certain hotspots in Scandinavia as well, including where i live, the area around Stockholm. Thankfully there are vaccines against it, and sadly none for the more common Borrelia, althoug Borrelia is easy to treat with antibiotics.

And from what i've read, American ticks carry a wider selection of tick-borne diseases than you'll find in Europe.

Now for a question. Do you do any outdoor activites in Tomsk, like skiing, hiking, fishing or hunting? It seems that the area would be great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pick posted:

Utjkju, what are the hunting laws where you are? Do you ever go hunting for deer or rabbit? Is it common? I live in Minnesota, which is called "America's Siberia". Many people in the city do not hunt, but outside the city, it's a very common activity. The government even shoots extra deer and gives the deer meat to homeless people.

Person should take out a licence for the hunt. It is authorized to gun to have from 18 years. During different seasons of hunting it is possible hunts on different animals.
But i don't go hunting never.

• Locked thread