Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Falukorv posted:

And from what i've read, American ticks carry a wider selection of tick-borne diseases than you'll find in Europe.

We mainly just worry about Lyme Disease from the ticks here. It's definitely something people are always warned about here, like as a kid you are always taught to look for ticks if you have been out in the woods or in any kind of high grass or scrub, but the only disease people talk about is Lyme or maybe "tick fever" which I had always assumed was the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What's Maslenitsa?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What do you think of Putin?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
I am a language teacher, and I want to tell you that your English is beautiful to me. We can all clearly understand you, but your word choices and phrasing preserve so much of your native patterns of speech and thought that it is like reading two languages at once.

quote:

I sleeped in tent. I heard that at the camp someone went and rattled ware. I thought that climbers returned. But climbers didn't speak among themselves. This was strange. I asked: "Who here? " To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr". I understood that it was the bear. I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
The bear ate all porridge which I cooked for climbers. Then bear left. This was the small bear.
Climbers returned at night. I told them abot bear. They told me that they met bear too. They told me that Lena saw an rear end of a bear and cried: "What terrible rear end! "

This is a special kind of poetry no English speaker could easily write. Thank you for this thread. I have no questions to ask you. Just keep posting so I can enjoy your writing, and thank you.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Do you drink? If so, how much and what are some favorites? Lots of vodka?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have seen both pelmeni and vareniki called "perogies" in Canada. You just can't get good pelmeni here at all :(

What province are you in? Alberta has a lot of Ukrainians and Russians, the pelmeni is great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ron Don Volante posted:

Related: how do those Russians who dislike Putin feel about voicing criticism of him in a public venue?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

NOTinuyasha posted:

How'd you end up on this forum?
On a related note, I hope you are looking around Something Awful to find something you will enjoy--there's a thread or a forum for every interest or hobby. YLLS has some threads about mountain climbing and hiking, for instance. :)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
What do people in Tomsk think about other Russian cities? (Example: Americans from Boston think people from Dallas are stupid cowboys, and people from Dallas think people from Boston are rude snobs.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ticks don't live in Canada?

A fair point. It was the lurking aspect that horrified me, I think.

utjkju posted:

UAZ Bukhanka

Yep, that's it. I bet it'd be a hit in rural Canada, imagining for a second that you could sell 'em here. I learned about their existence thanks to this rather unusual blogger. He does stop in Tomsk!

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".

Fixed Expression posted:

So, are there herds of morality galloping across Siberia? Do...do you have photos?

On the Altay and in Hakasia we rear marals.
We were doing geologic surveying near borders of a place where rear marals. I saw marals.
But i have not marals photos.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I didn't know what kind of animal a Maral is so I googled it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_red_deer

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

utjkju posted:

On the Altay and in Hakasia we rear marals.
We were doing geologic surveying near borders of a place where rear marals. I saw marals.
But i have not marals photos.

Wikipedia says this is a kind of large deer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_red_deer

I've never heard of this animal before, which is probably why people here are confused. Fixed Expression was making a joke, because in the original post you said "morality," which is a completely different English word. When I was learning Spanish, I did something similar: I confused the word for "rabbit" with the word for "father-in-law." Learning a new language can be very difficult, but it is better to practice and make mistakes than not to practice.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

What do you think American or British think about people from Russia or specifically Siberia? As you can see from this thread, several people have already commented "that is very Russian." What do you think our ideas of Russian people are?

I think you observed that Russian people don't like hold a discussion of work. This thread we are hold a discussion among close friends which we know long ago.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

NOTinuyasha posted:

How'd you end up on this forum?

I didn't understand your question.
"end up on" is a set expression or the idiom?

utjkju fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 9, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

PT6A posted:

Wikipedia says this is a kind of large deer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_red_deer

I've never heard of this animal before, which is probably why people here are confused. Fixed Expression was making a joke, because in the original post you said "morality," which is a completely different English word. When I was learning Spanish, I did something similar: I confused the word for "rabbit" with the word for "father-in-law." Learning a new language can be very difficult, but it is better to practice and make mistakes than not to practice.

:) Thank you for explaining that to me.
I would wish that people show me my mistakes. This help me to learn English.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

:) Thank you that you explain me.
I would wish that people show me my mistakes. This help me to learn English.

code:
Thank you for explaining that to me.
I wish people would show me my mistakes. This helps me learn English.
As a direct correction, this is how it should read.

EDIT:

utjkju posted:

I found this forum through Google.

This is correct.

utjkju posted:

I think you observed that Russian people don't like hold a discussion of work. This thread we are hold a discussion among close friends which we know long ago.

I honestly don't understand this one enough to try and correct it.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 9, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

I honestly don't understand this one enough to try and correct it.

"I think that you noticed that the Russian people don't like to discuss work.
We discuss work only in a circle of very close people"

Is this correct?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

"I think that you noticed that the Russian people don't like to discuss work.
We discuss work only in a circle of very close people"

Is this correct?

Yes, that is much better.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Falukorv posted:

And sometimes, in case of Borrelia, the tick vomiting back contents of it's stomach into our bloodstream, where the Borrelia in ticks originally reside (they do transmit from saliva to, as the bacteria can migrate to saliva).

The poster asking about ticks made it sound so exotic. You don't need to go as far as Siberia to find ticks carrying TBE. They exist in Central Europe, Germany and in certain hotspots in Scandinavia as well, including where i live, the area around Stockholm. Thankfully there are vaccines against it, and sadly none for the more common Borrelia, althoug Borrelia is easy to treat with antibiotics.

And from what i've read, American ticks carry a wider selection of tick-borne diseases than you'll find in Europe.

Now for a question. Do you do any outdoor activites in Tomsk, like skiing, hiking, fishing or hunting? It seems that the area would be great for that.

"Blood is necessary to insects to create posterity"
I wanted to tell that blood to breed is necessary to ticks. :)

As for me that I am fond of pedestrian tourism, a rock-climbing, mountaineering, a river rafting, speleology.

Photo from rescue operations competitions.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

mcustic posted:

What's Maslenitsa?

This is a holyday. On Maslenitsa we bid farewell (say goodbye) to winter and we meet spring. At this day we cook blini (pancakes ) and burn an effigy of winter. Each blin (pancake) is symbol of the sun.
Maslenitsa is a ethnical holyday.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 9, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Ron Don Volante posted:

I respect the president of our country.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Earwicker posted:

Related: how do those Russians who dislike Putin feel about voicing criticism of him in a public venue?

Everyone has the right for the opinion.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do you drink? If so, how much and what are some favorites? Lots of vodka?

I don't drink alcoholic beverages. I consider that the person always has to have clear thoughts.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

echopapa posted:

What do people in Tomsk think about other Russian cities? (Example: Americans from Boston think people from Dallas are stupid cowboys, and people from Dallas think people from Boston are rude snobs.)

For us it isn't important where the person lives. For us the person is important.
We say:" Nelza chesat vseh pod odny grebenky". It means that all people different.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

This is a holyday. On Maslenitsa we bid farewell (say goodbye) to winter and we meet spring. At this day we cook blini (pancakes ) and burn an effigy of winter. Blini are symbol of the sun.
Maslenitsa is a ethnical holyday.

quote:

This is a *holiday or *holy day. On Maslenitsa we bid farewell (you got it right the first time) to winter and **greet spring. On this day we cook blini and burn an effigy of winter. Blini ***is the symbol of the sun. Maslenitsa is ****an ethnic *holiday or *holy day

* It depends on what you mean, a holiday can both be a vacation or a public day off for celebration or remembrance. For example, Christmas or May Day are public holidays. Or you could mean a Holy Day which is a day of religious importance

** Meet isn't wrong, but greet is a better word to use in this situation

*** Are in this situation is used when there are more than item. For example, Blini and Haggis are symbols of the sun.

**** When a precedes a vowel, A, E, I, O or U, you replace it with an instead. For example 'a house' or 'an elephant'. Although in situations I can't explain, it sometimes is still an 'a' like as in 'a unicorn'. But they don't come up very often

utjkju posted:

I respect the president of our country.

Correct

utjkju posted:

Everyone has the right for the opinion.

quote:

Everyone has the right to their opinion. -OR- Everyone has the right to an opinion.

Both of these are equally correct. I wasn't sure which one you were trying for.

utjkju posted:

I don't drink alcoholic beverages. I consider that the person always has to have clear thoughts.

quote:

I don't drink alcoholic beverages. It is my opinion that people should always be capable of thinking clearly

I had to reword that a little. If it wasn't what you were trying to put across feel free to take another attempt at it.

utjkju posted:

For us it isn't important where the person lives. For us the person is important.
We say:" Nelza chesat vseh pod odny grebenky". It means that all people different.

quote:

For us it isn't important where the person lives, it is the person that is important.
We say We say:" Nelza chesat vseh pod odny grebenky". It means that all people are different.

As a comment to this, I think he was trying to ask about stereotypes. Examples of which are 'Russian's are alcoholics" or "American's are bible thumpers". They don't have to be negative, like "Canadian's are extremely friendly". They normally have to hold a kernel of truth however.

So a rephrase of his question would be "Do people in Tomsk have any stereotypes of people who live in other Russian cities."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

utjkju posted:

"Blood is necessary to insects to create posterity"

I liked that turn of phrase better than "proper english" to be honest. I felt it described it accurately while having a sort of poetic flair to it.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

This is a *holiday or *holy day. On Maslenitsa we bid farewell (you got it right the first time) to winter and **greet spring. On this day we cook blini and burn an effigy of winter. Blini ***is the symbol of the sun. Maslenitsa is ****an ethnic *holiday or *holy day

Thank you!
9 May, New Year, 8 March, 23 February, every Sunday are public Holidays. We call these days:"Red days of the calendar". Because these days are marked red color in our calendars. But Maslenitsa is week before an orthodox lent.
Maslenitsa was holy days when people believed in God of the Sun. But people do not believe in God of the Sun today. On Sunday on Maslenitsa's Week people carry out traditional ceremonies because it is cheerful. We meet on the city street and we burn an effigy of winter, we feast each other with blini.

Lord Windy posted:

*** Are in this situation is used when there are more than item. For example, Blini and Haggis are symbols of the sun.

Are (?) Blini this photo?

Or is (?) blini this photo?

Each pancake is a sun symbol.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 9, 2014

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
You would say "these are Blini in this photo" and "this is a Blini in this photo"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You guys asking him about Putin, are you trying to get him killed?

utjkju, you said that you don't go to nightclubs, that might be why you haven't encountered any LGBT people in your community.
Unrelated to that, what kind of music is popular in your area? If I were to arrive in your town and tune through radio stations what would I be hearing?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

utjkju posted:

Thank you!
9 May, New Year, 8 March, 23 February, every Sunday are public Holidays. We call these days:"Red days of the calendar". Because these days are marked red color in our calendars. But Maslenitsa is week before an orthodox lent.
Maslenitsa was holy days when people believed in God of the Sun. But people do not believe in God of the Sun today. On Sunday on Maslenitsa's Week people carry out traditional ceremonies because it is cheerful. We meet on the city street and we burn an effigy of winter, we feast each other with blini.

I'm from Lithuania (Литва) and we have this celebration too! It's one of my favourites, along with the midsummer bonfire. :) Most of the people are Roman Catholic in my country, but they preserved a lot of the pagan traditions even though they don't believe in them anymore.

Quidam Viator posted:

I am a language teacher, and I want to tell you that your English is beautiful to me. We can all clearly understand you, but your word choices and phrasing preserve so much of your native patterns of speech and thought that it is like reading two languages at once.

This is a special kind of poetry no English speaker could easily write. Thank you for this thread. I have no questions to ask you. Just keep posting so I can enjoy your writing, and thank you.

Yeah, you've managed to put into words how I was feeling about his writing. It's great - especially the "reading two languages at once" bit.

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 9, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

His Divine Shadow posted:

I liked that turn of phrase better than "proper english" to be honest. I felt it described it accurately while having a sort of poetic flair to it.

I especially liked 'urban ore' when describing human generated waste (plastic bottles etc)

utjkju posted:

Is that some sort of salmon in the photo?

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 9, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle Jam posted:

Is that some sort of salmon in the photo?

And caviar, I want to know if that salmon is smoked or sashimi.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Based on the cuisine, it's most likely smoked.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, it looks cold smoked.

Here cold smoked salmon is very expensive ($50-60 / kg)
How is it there? Because of the cost, I usually make it myself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What type of cars are popular in Tomsk? Are there more imported or russian cars on the streets?

Also, is it true that there are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering? Why would used japanese cars be so popular?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Out of interest I clicked googlemaps street view and on a random street near where it says 'Tomsk' the first car I saw was a Lada. There were 2 more spotted with a swing of the camera on the same street. There's a stereotype that Russians drive Ladas and I found finding 3 of them in close proximity quite amusing.

Seconding/thirding your English skills, they're pretty good and as other have said the way you describe things is very cool. Put it this way your English is far far better than my Russian so keep at it.

It looks like you climb from the photos, is this work related or a hobby? What else do you do for fun? Is there anything you'd like to do that maybe you can't for some reason?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

Thank you!

First paragraph correct.

quote:

Maslenitsa were holy days when people believed in the *God of the Sun. But people do not believe in the *God of the Sun today. On the Sunday of Maslenitsa's Week people carry out traditional ceremonies in **celebration. We meet on the city street and we burn an effigy of winter and feast upon blini.

*you would be correct if God of the Sun was a name, but in english it would be a title so you precede it with 'the' in situations where you would treat it like a name. For example, 'I respect the President." and "I respect Putin".

** Celebration is a better word in this situation. Celebrate: publicly acknowledge (a significant or happy day or event) with a social gathering or enjoyable activity.

utjkju posted:

quote:

Are these Blini in this photo?

These are Blini.

Or is this a Blini in the photo.

This is a Blini.

utjkju posted:

Correct

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I'm pretty sure that blin is the singular and blini is the plural, but I don't speak Russian.

This is a great thread, I'm glad you posted it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Would you ever considering living in an English-speaking country for a while to improve your English, and experience another culture?

• Locked thread