Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
OP, some of the posts about English are a little incorrect. If you want to know more about English, Wikipedia articles are usually good. However, the articles are often written by experts for other experts. So, they may be written at an advanced level. These articles are a good place to start: English Orthography, History of the English Language. The history helps to explain why the orthography is inconsistent.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Absolute Lithops posted:

OP, some of the posts about English are a little incorrect. If you want to know more about English, Wikipedia articles are usually good. However, the articles are often written by experts for other experts. So, they may be written at an advanced level. These articles are a good place to start: English Orthography, History of the English Language. The history helps to explain why the orthography is inconsistent.

Feel free to contribute if I'm not doing well :P.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".

Lord Windy posted:

As a comment to this, I think he was trying to ask about stereotypes. Examples of which are 'Russian's are alcoholics" or "American's are bible thumpers". They don't have to be negative, like "Canadian's are extremely friendly". They normally have to hold a kernel of truth however.

So a rephrase of his question would be "Do people in Tomsk have any stereotypes of people who live in other Russian cities."

No, people in Tomsk do not have stereotypes of people who live in other Russian cities.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
This is a great thread. I really enjoy the way you write. I didn't know the word "orthography". You know English words I don't!

Here is the simple version of English Wikipedia:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

It doesn't use huge words that are often confusing, even to native English speakers. It is designed to be simple. It is for people learning English.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This is some interesting reading. Do a lot of non-Russian visitors pass through Tomsk? I always had this impression that Siberia is pretty obscure to a lot of the world, but I have no idea if that has any basis in fact.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What kind of vehicles do most people use?

Do you live in a house or an apartment? How much property (land) do people usually own?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

utjkju, you said that you don't go to nightclubs, that might be why you haven't encountered any LGBT people in your community.
Unrelated to that, what kind of music is popular in your area? If I were to arrive in your town and tune through radio stations what would I be hearing?

You can hear different music by radio. Generally you will hear pop music. But i do not listen radio. I like music by Nigthwish, Melnica, Koridor, Visocki, Visbor. This music don't broadcast by radio. Many people in our city don't listen to music by radio.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Uncle Jam posted:

Is that some sort of salmon in the photo?

Yes, it is sort of salmon in the photo. :)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hello! I work with geologists for my job, and I wanted to ask you about Siberia's geology. I work on buildings for earthquakes and I've been told Siberia can get strong ones. Are they common near the city? How do the locals protect their homes? Here in the US we have a difficult time enforcing rules to build things safely where the geology is unfavorable, does your region have similar problems?

I think you write very well, I hope you are enjoying our questions.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

And caviar, I want to know if that salmon is smoked or sashimi.

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, it looks cold smoked.

Here cold smoked salmon is very expensive ($50-60 / kg)
How is it there? Because of the cost, I usually make it myself.

I do not know that salmon is smoked or sashimi in the photo. But usually we eat smoked salmon. Cold smoked salmon cost 22-30$/kg in our shops. It is expensive. Therefore the cold smoked salmon is festive food.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 10, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

What type of cars are popular in Tomsk? Are there more imported or russian cars on the streets?

Also, is it true that there are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering? Why would used japanese cars be so popular?

It is true that are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering. Japanese cars be so popular with us because this cars are inexpensive. But used japanese cars with right-hand steering are qualitative.
But imports of used japanese cars into our country slumped in 2008 because of duties.

It is my opinion that there are more imported cars then russian cars on the streets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

utjkju posted:

It is true that are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering. Japanese cars be so popular with us because this cars are inexpensive. But used japanese cars with right-hand steering are qualitative.
But imports of used japanese cars into our country slumped in 2008 because of duties.

It is my opinion that there are more imported cars then russian cars on the streets.

Are there many Korean or Chinese cars? I travelled to Cuba, where there are many Ladas still on the streets, as well as some more recent Chinese and Korean cars. Even though the Chinese and Korean cars have bigger engines, and are nicer on the inside, most people I talked to preferred the Ladas because they were easier and cheaper to fix (keeping in mind that many cars had 300,000-500,000 km on the odometer, because they are very expensive to replace).

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

88h88 posted:

It looks like you climb from the photos, is this work related or a hobby? What else do you do for fun? Is there anything you'd like to do that maybe you can't for some reason?

This is a hobby.
Else i and my friends ski from hills, ride from hills on the vatrushka (tubing).

This is vatrushka (tubing).

I would like to visit schools on molecular biology in Moscow. But as I work I can't go there. I am interested in molecular biology. This is my hobby.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 10, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I'm pretty sure that blin is the singular and blini is the plural, but I don't speak Russian.

Yes. Blin is one pancake. Blini are many pancakes. :)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

insufficient guns posted:

Would you ever considering living in an English-speaking country for a while to improve your English, and experience another culture?

Yes. I considering living in an English-speaking country for a while. Probably in some years I will make this.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Absolute Lithops posted:

The Scientist posted:

Here is the simple version of English Wikipedia:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thank you!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

Yes. I considering living in an English-speaking country for a while. Probably in some years I will make this.

If you have a University Bachelor degree (think 3 year degree) you can easily move to Australia and ply your trade in the mining industry. The benefit of this is you can live practically anywhere since they work on a fly in to work fly out for a time.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
OP, your English vocabulary is very very good, but your English syntax (word order) and morphology (word endings, and specific words) needs some work.

The most frequent errors I see in your posts are from omitting the copula 'be' in present tense, and from omitting articles {a, the, etc.). Don't feel too bad about this because Slavic languages like Russian don't have these features aside from very specific situations. It is hard to transition into a language that has things your native language does not.

But, you are 100% comprehensible and your vocabulary and spelling is better than a lot of native English speakers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When I taught students in Central Europe, they were very concerned about being understood. The nice thing about English is that you don't have to speak it perfectly. Not at all! It's surprisingly easy to be understood even when many mistakes are made. I'm not sure if this is true, or as true, in other languages. But nothing that you have said, utjkju, has been difficult to understand by people who know English. It's clear. :)

I am wondering, in the movie theater, what percentage of the movies are Hollywood movies and what percentage are Russian movies? Is it common to go see movies with subtitles?

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Please tell us about yourself. How old are you, what is your family like, are you married, have children, etc. If you mentioned it earlier I must have overlooked it.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

This is some interesting reading. Do a lot of non-Russian visitors pass through Tomsk? I always had this impression that Siberia is pretty obscure to a lot of the world, but I have no idea if that has any basis in fact.

There is a lot of non-Russian visitors who pass through Tomsk. There are a lot of (many?) universities in (the?) Tomsk. Many non-Russian study at universities of the Tomsk city.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 10, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

The Scientist posted:

What kind of vehicles do most people use?

Do you live in a house or an apartment? How much property (land) do people usually own?

In Siberia most people use japanese cars.
I live in an apartment. In a village people have a lot of ground. In the city people live in an apartments.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

utjkju posted:

There is a lot of non-Russian visitors who pass through Tomsk. There is a lot of (many?) universities in (the?) Tomsk. Many non-Russian study at universities of the Tomsk city.
There are a lot of universities in Tomsk. Or there are many universities in Tomsk. No definite article with names of cities.

Are you religious, utjkju? I was raised Roman Catholic but I converted to Orthodoxy about five years ago because I no longer believed that the Pope was infallible (could not err) and--to a Russian this will seem ironic I'm sure--because the Orthodox Churches in the US are not involved in politics, while the Catholic Church in the US is too political for me.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

utjkju posted:

There is a lot of non-Russian visitors who pass through Tomsk. There is a lot of (many?) universities in (the?) Tomsk. Many non-Russian study at universities of the Tomsk city.

quote:

There are a lot of non-Russian visitors who pass through Tomsk. There are **a number universities in *Tomsk ***where quite a few non-Russian's study.

*Tomsk is a name, so you don't need to proceed it with 'the'.

**Lots and many didn't work here, so I replaced it with something that sounded more natural (to me at least).

***I combined the sentences as you didn't need to repeat Tomsk and University twice. I couldn't get the sentences to not sound odd otherwise.

utjkju posted:

In Siberia most people use japanese cars.
I live in an apartment. In a village people have a lot of ground. In the city people live in an apartments.

quote:

Most people use Japanese cars in Siberia.
I live in an apartment like most people in cities.* Detached houses are more common in villages where space is not at a premium.

*You can replace detached houses with land if that is what you mean

Do you have anyone to practice speaking English with?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Blindeye posted:

Hello! I work with geologists for my job, and I wanted to ask you about Siberia's geology. I work on buildings for earthquakes and I've been told Siberia can get strong ones. Are they common near the city? How do the locals protect their homes? Here in the US we have a difficult time enforcing rules to build things safely where the geology is unfavorable, does your region have similar problems?

Siberia can get earthquakes (ball 6-7). In Tomsk were earthquakes of 3-4 ball. Our buildings are designed for earthquakes of 6 ball. But I do not know what methods master-builder use.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for sharing stories and information about your home. I've always had a stereotyped opinion about Siberia and you are opening my eyes to many more interesting things about the region.

I especially liked your bear story. We have a children's story about a family of three bears who arrive home to discover someone had been sitting in their chairs and eating their porridge. I think you and the climbers may have met one of those bears!

Your rescue operations competition looked interesting. How often are the competitions? Do you ever use your skills to find and assist lost hikers or skiers?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Booger Presley posted:

I especially liked your bear story. We have a children's story about a family of three bears who arrive home to discover someone had been sitting in their chairs and eating their porridge. I think you and the climbers may have met one of those bears!

The story is about a girl named Goldilocks. It is a story for children. The name "Goldilocks" means locks (hair) that is gold colored (blonde or yellow).

She went for a pedestrian tourism ( I love your term for hiking) in the woods (forest). She found a house. She knocked on the door, but no one was there. She went inside. In the kitchen, there were 3 bowls of porridge on the table. Goldilocks was hungry. She ate some of the first bowl of porridge. It was too hot. Then she ate some of the next bowl of porridge. It was too cold. Then she tried some of the third bowl of porridge, and she said "This porridge is just right!" (The 3rd bowl of porridge was not too hot or too cold).

Then, Goldilocks sat in the bear's chairs. The first chair was huge. The chair was very large. She sat in the second chair. The second chair was also too big. Finally, she sat in the third chair, and she said "This chair is just right!" (The chair was not too big). But then the chair broke.

Then Goldilocks became tired. She lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard. She lay down in the second bed, but it was too soft. She lay down in the third bed, and said "This bed is just right!" And fell asleep.

(I'm gonna copy and paste the rest of the story.)

As she was sleeping, the three bears came home.

"Someone's been eating my porridge," growled the Papa bear. (Papa means father)

"Someone's been eating my porridge," said the Mama bear. (Mama means mother)

"Someone's been eating my porridge and they ate it all up!" cried the Baby bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair," growled the Papa bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair," said the Mama bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair and they've broken it all to pieces," cried the Baby bear.

They decided to look around some more and when they got upstairs to the bedroom, Papa bear growled, "Someone's been sleeping in my bed,"

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed, too" said the Mama bear

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed and she's still there!" exclaimed Baby bear.

Just then, Goldilocks woke up and saw the three bears. She screamed, "Help!" And she jumped up and ran out of the room. Goldilocks ran down the stairs, opened the door, and ran away into the forest. And she never returned to the home of the three bears.

--------

Scientists talk about other planets that might be able to support life. Some planets are too close to their star, and too hot for life. Some are too far away, and too cold. Others are in the "Goldilocks Zone", and are "just right" for life to exist there.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I know this story at Russian. We tell story about three bears to our children.
it is pleasant to know that this history is known by British. :)

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

What type of cars are popular in Tomsk? Are there more imported or russian cars on the streets?

Also, is it true that there are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering? Why would used japanese cars be so popular?

Japanese regulations, including extremely stringent inspection requirements, make it prohibitively expensive to own a car more than six or so years old. As a result, there are large numbers of JDM cars in good condition exported around the world. A lot of them go to Russia through east coast ports like Vladivostok where people buy them because they are cheap, reliable, and in good shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_used_vehicle_exporting

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

PT6A posted:

Are there many Korean or Chinese cars? I travelled to Cuba, where there are many Ladas still on the streets, as well as some more recent Chinese and Korean cars. Even though the Chinese and Korean cars have bigger engines, and are nicer on the inside, most people I talked to preferred the Ladas because they were easier and cheaper to fix (keeping in mind that many cars had 300,000-500,000 km on the odometer, because they are very expensive to replace).

There are Korean and Chinese cars. But there are not many.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

utjkju posted:

I know this story at Russian. We tell story about three bears to our children.
it is pleasant to know that this history is known by British. :)

It is originally from Britain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Three_Bears
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2%D1%80%D0%B8_%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B4%D1%8F

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Avalanche posted:

OP, your English vocabulary is very very good, but your English syntax (word order) and morphology (word endings, and specific words) needs some work.

The most frequent errors I see in your posts are from omitting the copula 'be' in present tense, and from omitting articles {a, the, etc.). Don't feel too bad about this because Slavic languages like Russian don't have these features aside from very specific situations. It is hard to transition into a language that has things your native language does not.

But, you are 100% comprehensible and your vocabulary and spelling is better than a lot of native English speakers.

Thank you! I badly understand when to write omitting articles, copula 'be'.
I badly understand word order too. I read books on grammar, but it badly helped.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

Do you have anyone to practice speaking English with?

I wonder if you would mind taking this to email (with the OP)?

"a lot of universities"/"lots of universities"/"many universities" would all have been fine, but you missed out a word in what you replaced it with ("a number universities"). You're also using apostrophes where there shouldn't be any, like for plurals. I know you're trying to help the OP out, but if you're going to correct him, you need to be more careful.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
He said he doesn't speak English, he just reads and writes it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Do you ever get the chance to listen to or watch American or Western European music or movies? If so, are the movies from English speaking areas primarily re-voiced to Russian or is it English speaking with Russian subtitles? If you do get chances to watch English or American movies or listen to their music, do you have any particular favorites?

Edit: Wanted to add one more. Does your city have access to food/restaurants from other ethnicities? I'm kind of curious what a Russian-based Mexican or Italian or Chineese restaurant might look like.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 11, 2014

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
This thread has been very informative, thank you.

I used to live with a friend who had learned to speak Russian for his job. He worked as a radio operator listening to Russian military communications (we live in Alaska, so it's very close to the Russian far-East). Anyway, to help practice and learn more, he'd bring home DVDs of Russian movies and we'd watch them without subtitles. I can't speak Russian at all, aside from a few words, so I had no idea what was happening in the movies, but my friend thought it was a good way to learn more of the language.

Maybe that could be a fun way to learn English as well. :v:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Do you enjoy sports? I know that there are football* and hockey teams in Tomsk.

*Americans call it "soccer" because "American football" is a different sport.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
привет!

This is an interesting thread. I'm 1/4 Russian and went to a Russian Orthodox church growing up. All of my grandparents were born in the United States, so I didn't really get any exposure to Russian culture, with the exception of some of the food. I'm half Hungarian and ate a lot of that food growing up too, so I don't always know which foods came from which countries. The Russian ones I remember are beef stroganoff, borscht, paska, hrudka :barf:, and golubtsy. Yum (except the Easter cheese, yuck). I actually just made a big pot of borscht yesterday. I've learned of a few new foods in this thread I'll definitely have to try making. Pelmeni sounds good. I've eaten tons of pierogies, usually filled with potatoes, which I guess are pretty much the same thing as varenyky. I've never had them with a meat filling though. I'll have to try making chuchvara too.

Can you name some other foods (either Siberian, or just generally Russian) that I need to try?

As others have said, your English vocabulary is excellent, and your English grammar is pretty good for the most part. The things you say "incorrectly" are still fairly easy to understand, and they give your posts a nice Russian feel. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd be interested in helping you with your English in exchange for you helping me learn Russian. My Russian vocabulary right now literally consists of about 10 words. I'm lazy and undependable though, so that probably wouldn't be the best idea :).

I think a lot of us think of Siberia as a frozen wasteland full of prison camps. It's interesting to see some of the scenery and to read about what life is really like there. Thanks for this thread!

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pick posted:

When I taught students in Central Europe, they were very concerned about being understood. The nice thing about English is that you don't have to speak it perfectly. Not at all! It's surprisingly easy to be understood even when many mistakes are made. I'm not sure if this is true, or as true, in other languages. But nothing that you have said, utjkju, has been difficult to understand by people who know English. It's clear. :)

I am wondering, in the movie theater, what percentage of the movies are Hollywood movies and what percentage are Russian movies? Is it common to go see movies with subtitles?

One day, the Czech man come to our rock-climbing club. The Czech did not spoke at Russian. But he knew English. We did not know Czech language. But we very very badly knew English.
At first we communicated with the help of gestures. We showed on a thing. The Czech spoke as it is called on Czech, and we spoke as it is called in Russian. So we learned the name of things in the Czech language, and the Czech learned names in Russian. As a result we communicated on mix of Russian, Czech and bad English. It was amusing, but we understood each other!

In the mavie theater are more Hollywood movies. There are movies with subtitles, but we see these movies at the home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Hermaphrodite posted:

Please tell us about yourself. How old are you, what is your family like, are you married, have children, etc. If you mentioned it earlier I must have overlooked it.

I am 27 years old. I married. I have two children.

• Locked thread