Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

There are a lot of universities in Tomsk. Or there are many universities in Tomsk. No definite article with names of cities.

Are you religious, utjkju? I was raised Roman Catholic but I converted to Orthodoxy about five years ago because I no longer believed that the Pope was infallible (could not err) and--to a Russian this will seem ironic I'm sure--because the Orthodox Churches in the US are not involved in politics, while the Catholic Church in the US is too political for me.

No. I am not religious. I am ateist (secularist or antitheist ?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

Do you have anyone to practice speaking English with?

Yes, I have.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Booger Presley posted:

Thanks for sharing stories and information about your home. I've always had a stereotyped opinion about Siberia and you are opening my eyes to many more interesting things about the region.

I especially liked your bear story. We have a children's story about a family of three bears who arrive home to discover someone had been sitting in their chairs and eating their porridge. I think you and the climbers may have met one of those bears!

Your rescue operations competition looked interesting. How often are the competitions? Do you ever use your skills to find and assist lost hikers or skiers?

We organize rescue operations competition two times in a year. Yes, but it was terrible. I want that there were no extreme situations and people didn't suffer.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Do you ever get the chance to listen to or watch American or Western European music or movies? If so, are the movies from English speaking areas primarily re-voiced to Russian or is it English speaking with Russian subtitles? If you do get chances to watch English or American movies or listen to their music, do you have any particular favorites?

Edit: Wanted to add one more. Does your city have access to food/restaurants from other ethnicities? I'm kind of curious what a Russian-based Mexican or Italian or Chineese restaurant might look like.

We listen and watch American and Western European movies and music. Movies from English speaking areas are re-voiced to Russian. I like Nightwish.
This is websit of our movies theater:
http://kinomax.tomsk.ru/afisha/

Our city have access to food/restaurants from other ethnicities. In our city there are restaurants of Japanese cuisine, Italian cuisine.

For example:
delivery of sushi to the house
http://tomsk.mirsushi.com/
http://www.dostavka-sushi.tomsk.ru/
http://tomsk.yakudzasushi.ru/

delivery of pizza to the house:
http://italpizza.tomsk.ru/index.html
http://makelovepizza.ru/

Bamboo restaurant's photo

utjkju fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 11, 2014

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

utjkju posted:

No. I am not religious. I am ateist (secularist or antitheist ?)

The word is "atheist".
As far as I understand, "secularists" aren't the same thing as atheists, they are people who care more about the human condition and society than they care about religion or spiritual means. They may still believe in those kinds of things, but they put humanity first and don't take their religion (or lack of religion) into consideration when making most decisions. With that being said, most people who describe themselves as "secular" are also atheists, but those words don't always mean the same thing.
"Antitheist" is rarely used unless referring to someone actively opposed to religion, not just someone who doesn't believe in god or a higher power.

I really like this thread, thank you for posting! I agree that it's really interesting to see Russian speech patterns applied to English. I am a very basic Russian speaker and I'm sure whenever I type in Russian to people I have very English ways of forming sentences. :)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Are there any black people (people with dark skin) in Tomsk?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Restaurant of Italian cuisine

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

comaerror posted:

This thread has been very informative, thank you.

I used to live with a friend who had learned to speak Russian for his job. He worked as a radio operator listening to Russian military communications (we live in Alaska, so it's very close to the Russian far-East). Anyway, to help practice and learn more, he'd bring home DVDs of Russian movies and we'd watch them without subtitles. I can't speak Russian at all, aside from a few words, so I had no idea what was happening in the movies, but my friend thought it was a good way to learn more of the language.

Maybe that could be a fun way to learn English as well. :v:

I saw English movies without subtitles. But it won't teach to write. :)

utjkju fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 11, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

echopapa posted:

Do you enjoy sports? I know that there are football* and hockey teams in Tomsk.

*Americans call it "soccer" because "American football" is a different sport.

Yes, we enjoy sports. There are volleyball, basketball, rhythmic gymnastics, track and field athletics, weightlifting, acrobatics, yoga, fighting arts, swimming, riding and other sports.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

привет!

This is an interesting thread. I'm 1/4 Russian and went to a Russian Orthodox church growing up. All of my grandparents were born in the United States, so I didn't really get any exposure to Russian culture, with the exception of some of the food. I'm half Hungarian and ate a lot of that food growing up too, so I don't always know which foods came from which countries. The Russian ones I remember are beef stroganoff, borscht, paska, hrudka :barf:, and golubtsy. Yum (except the Easter cheese, yuck). I actually just made a big pot of borscht yesterday. I've learned of a few new foods in this thread I'll definitely have to try making. Pelmeni sounds good. I've eaten tons of pierogies, usually filled with potatoes, which I guess are pretty much the same thing as varenyky. I've never had them with a meat filling though. I'll have to try making chuchvara too.

Can you name some other foods (either Siberian, or just generally Russian) that I need to try?

As others have said, your English vocabulary is excellent, and your English grammar is pretty good for the most part. The things you say "incorrectly" are still fairly easy to understand, and they give your posts a nice Russian feel. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd be interested in helping you with your English in exchange for you helping me learn Russian. My Russian vocabulary right now literally consists of about 10 words. I'm lazy and undependable though, so that probably wouldn't be the best idea :).

I think a lot of us think of Siberia as a frozen wasteland full of prison camps. It's interesting to see some of the scenery and to read about what life is really like there. Thanks for this thread!

Recipe of test of vareniki and pelmeni: eggs, water or milk, flour, salt.
Stuffing of vareniki: berries, cottage cheese, potatoes, apple.
Stuffing of pelmeni: ground meat.

Pelmeny

Vareniki

Recipe of test of pierogies: eggs, sugar, salt, flour, milk or water, yeast.
Stuffing: berries, cottage cheese, cheese, potatoes, ground meat, jam, apple.
Pierogies are fried or baked.

Pierogies

Manty is big pelmeny. Forcemeat in manty is fatter than ground meat in pelmeni. Forcement for manty have more onion than ground meat for pelmeni.
Pelmeny and vareniki cook in water. Manty is steamed.

Manty

For Easter we cook kulichi. These are tasty sweet rolls.

Kulichi

Also, the tasty dish is a holodec.

Holodec

utjkju fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 12, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Chiba City Blues posted:

The word is "atheist".
As far as I understand, "secularists" aren't the same thing as atheists, they are people who care more about the human condition and society than they care about religion or spiritual means. They may still believe in those kinds of things, but they put humanity first and don't take their religion (or lack of religion) into consideration when making most decisions. With that being said, most people who describe themselves as "secular" are also atheists, but those words don't always mean the same thing.
"Antitheist" is rarely used unless referring to someone actively opposed to religion, not just someone who doesn't believe in god or a higher power.

I really like this thread, thank you for posting! I agree that it's really interesting to see Russian speech patterns applied to English. I am a very basic Russian speaker and I'm sure whenever I type in Russian to people I have very English ways of forming sentences. :)

Thank you!

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

The Scientist posted:

Are there any black people (people with dark skin) in Tomsk?

Yes, there are black people. Generally it is students.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 11, 2014

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

utjkju posted:

Recipe of test of vareniki and pelmeni: eggs, water or milk, flour, salt.
Stuffing of vareniki: berries, cottage cheese, potatoes, apple.
Stuffing of pelmeni: forcemeat.

Pelmeny

Vareniki

Recipe of test of pierogies: eggs, sugar, salt, flour, milk or water, yeast.
Stuffing: berries, cottage cheese, cheese, potatoes, forcemeat, jam, apple.
Pierogies are fried or baked.

Pierogies

Manty is big pelmeny. Forcemeat in manty is fatter than forcemeat in pelmeni. Forcement for manty have more onion than forcemeat for pelmeni.
Pelmeny and vareniki cook in water. Manty is steamed.

Manty

For Easter we cook kulichi. These are tasty sweet rolls.

Kulichi

Also, the tasty dish is a holodec.

Holodec

The "pierogies" we usually have where I live are Polish pierogies, very similar to your varenyky. They are usually boiled and then covered with melted butter and fried onions, but I've had them pan-fried and deep fried before too. I occasionally ate Russian-style pierogies/pirozhki as a child, but my grandparents are all dead and nobody else in my family ever made them. The holodec looks a little scary to me :), but I definitely think I'll try making the other foods you mentioned, thanks.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

utjkju posted:

One day, the Czech man come to our rock-climbing club. The Czech did not spoke at Russian. But he knew English. We did not know Czech language. But we very very badly knew English.
At first we communicated with the help of gestures. We showed on a thing. The Czech spoke as it is called on Czech, and we spoke as it is called in Russian. So we learned the name of things in the Czech language, and the Czech learned names in Russian. As a result we communicated on mix of Russian, Czech and bad English. It was amusing, but we understood each other!

In the mavie theater are more Hollywood movies. There are movies with subtitles, but we see these movies at the home.

This reminds me of when I was on study abroad in Germany. I was living with three Germans and two Czech girls, one of whom didn't speak German or English very well, so the other would translate for her sometimes. On top of that, the German roommate that I hung out with all the time didn't speak English very well, so it got pretty amusing sometimes. Thankfully, I could speak German fairly well before I went, but communication could be pretty complicated from time to time.

I also have to add that the food you posted looks delicious. I wish I could get good pierogis around here, because that would definitely be my lunch today. The restaurants look really nice, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chiba City Blues posted:

The word is "atheist".
As far as I understand, "secularists" aren't the same thing as atheists, they are people who care more about the human condition and society than they care about religion or spiritual means. They may still believe in those kinds of things, but they put humanity first and don't take their religion (or lack of religion) into consideration when making most decisions.

It's more that an "atheist" is someone who doesn't believe in gods while a "secularist" is generally someone who wants to keep religion out of government and generally out of it's dominating role in a given culture. They overlap a lot but they are not the same thing. There are religious people who are secularists.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I think when you say forcemeat, you might mean sausage? I have never heard of forcemeat.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
A while back, somebody here posted a link to a page with a bunch of supposedly real Latvian jokes. They were pretty dry and dark, and completely different from any kind of humor we're used to in America (or most other countries). A couple examples:

quote:

Man is hungry. He steal bread to feed family. Get home, find all family have sent Siberia! “More bread for me,” man think. But bread have worm.

Why six is afraid seven? Because seven have many friend politburo.

A fishmonger says to a bootblack, "Are there any more potato left?" Bootblack says, "Yes, one. But it has gone bad." The fishmonger says, "I am very hungry. I have not eaten for three days. I shall eat it, even if it makes me very ill." And bootblack says, "I did not speak truth. In reality, there is no food left. You shall go hungry yet another day, my friend."

Anyway, my point is, you had a post on the first page of this thread with the "He argued with the instructor" joke; what other kinds of humor are common in Siberia? Can you tell a few jokes that are popular there?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

The Scientist posted:

I think when you say forcemeat, you might mean sausage? I have never heard of forcemeat.

You'll find it in older cookbooks, but yes, think loose sausage--seasoned chopped or ground meat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JoshGuitar posted:

A while back, somebody here posted a link to a page with a bunch of supposedly real Latvian jokes. They were pretty dry and dark, and completely different from any kind of humor we're used to in America (or most other countries). A couple examples:

Anyway, my point is, you had a post on the first page of this thread with the "He argued with the instructor" joke; what other kinds of humor are common in Siberia? Can you tell a few jokes that are popular there?

All the best black Russian humour either has wordplay that doesn't translate well or requires indepth knowledge of political structure and historical characters.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JoshGuitar posted:

Those aren't authentic examples of humor from Latvia. My 5 seconds of research led me here: http://www.chrisconnollyonline.com/2013/04/195-history-and-origins-of-latvian-jokes.html

quote:

Latvian jokes began as an instant messenger conversation between me and Ky Henderson. I was writing a book about the three years I spent living in Latvia and Ky was an editor at a magazine. I was working on a chapter about the Latvians' trademark 'black humor' and I wrote a quick joke and messaged it to Ky.

Latvian: Is so cold.
All: How cold is?
Latvian: Very. Also dark.

He immediately picked up the idea and soon sent back this:

I hope my son does not die during night.
What is "hope"?
Yes. I know what you say.
No. I am serious. What is hope?
In truth, I do not know.

We wrote about eight more jokes in the next 15 minutes and I was laughing my rear end off. I saved that dialogue and would pull it up and re-read it now and again and I always thought it was funny. I sent some of the jokes to my brother Andrew and he got in on the act as well.

Although Andrew did visit me in Latvia, I was the only author of the original jokes with deep firsthand knowledge of Latvia. This is why the vein eventually came to encompass Cossacks and rape and a whole bunch of other things that aren't really Latvia-specific. As we worked out the original list of jokes, "Latvia" came to be a stand-in term for Obscure Former Soviet Nation Western People Don't Know poo poo About. The reason Latvia inherited the spot was simply that I was writing about my experiences there when I wrote the first joke.

So basically, it's the same thing as a Russian person making jokes about the US that consist of references to cowboys and rap music, which I don't think would be considered examples of "American humor".

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

The Scientist posted:

I might mean mincemeat (right?).

On the picture mincemeat?

I will correct my post. :)

utjkju fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

The holodec looks a little scary to me :).

Holodec only looks scary. But it is tasty.
It is meat in the jell. Jell for the holodec is cooked from (of?) the meat's broth. In the meat's broth add spices: bay a leaf, black pepper, salt, garlic. Then meat fill in the broth . Also broth with meat are cooled.
Sometimes add gelatin.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

This are simple jokes.

-Write!!!..
-What?..
- Hello! I am Anna...
- I am 16 years old.

Boiled water is always a little bit soup

Where leave childhood?

Who will drown, that won't swim any more in the sea

There are joke-games.
Replacement of letters by figures:

"94НН03 С006Щ3НN3 П0К4ЗЫ8437, К4КN3 У9N8N73ЛЬНЫ3 83ЩN М0Ж37 93Л47Ь Н4Ш Р4ЗУМ! 8П3Ч47ЛЯЮЩN3 83ЩN! СН4Ч4Л4 Э70 6ЫЛ0 7РУ9Н0, Н0 С3ЙЧ4С Н4 Э70Й С7Р0К3 84Ш Р4ЗУМ ЧN7437 Э70 4870М47NЧ3СКN, Н3 З49УМЫ84ЯСЬ 06 Э70М. Г0Р9NСЬ. ЛNШЬ 0ПР393Л3ННЫ3 ЛЮ9N М0ГУ7 ПР0ЧN747Ь Э70."

"The strange message shows, what surprising things our reason can do. Impressive things! At first it was difficult, but now on this line your reason reads it automatically, without reflecting on it. Be proud! Only certain people can read it."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

utjkju posted:

I might mean mincemeat (right?).

On the picture mincemeat?

I will correct my post. :)

Actually I think you might mean "hamburger" or "ground beef." Mincemeat is specifically a mixture of ground meat, spices, and dried fruits. I think of mincemeat as being a rather British dish, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't think mincemeat is something you'd mix with onions and stuff in dumplings. I think you just mean hamburger or ground beef, both mean the same thing.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Hoover Dam posted:

You'll find it in older cookbooks, but yes, think loose sausage--seasoned chopped or ground meat.

Thank you!

"Ground meat"!
I read about "ground meat", "hamburger", "ground beef."
Ground meat is best. Ground meat consist of the ground beef, ground pig meat (pork?), onion, black pepper, salt.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Pellisworth posted:

Actually I think you might mean "hamburger" or "ground beef." Mincemeat is specifically a mixture of ground meat, spices, and dried fruits. I think of mincemeat as being a rather British dish, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't think mincemeat is something you'd mix with onions and stuff in dumplings. I think you just mean hamburger or ground beef, both mean the same thing.

"mincemeat" or "minced meat" means the same thing in UK/AU/NZ as "ground meat" in the US. He's right, there are just different names for it depending on region.

utjkju: this is a dumb question, but is the stereotype of Russians squatting (сидеть на корточках) all the time as true as I'm led to believe?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Excavation posted:

"mincemeat" or "minced meat" means the same thing in UK/AU/NZ as "ground meat" in the US. He's right, there are just different names for it depending on region.

utjkju: this is a dumb question, but is the stereotype of Russians squatting (сидеть на корточках) all the time as true as I'm led to believe?

This is not the true.
There are people which we call "gopniki". If it is one person that we speak "gopnik".
In Soviet period the phenomenon which we called "gop - stop" was developed.
Gopniki purloined fur caps, mobile phones, bags and other things. It was brute force (outrage?).
After 2000 decline "gop-stop" began. But in small cities or criminal districts you can meet gopniki.
Gopniki (are?) squatting. It went from prison habits of gopnikov.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 12, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In English it's called "mugging".

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Ahh thanks, I was thinking that it would be an exaggerated cultural trait much the same as "everything which we Australians claim to do" but I wasn't sure. Squatting in doorways/streets/nightclubs is one of those popular Russian stereotypes on the internet, and I wasn't sure close to reality it was because we don't have many Russians where I live. Thank you for answering such a stupid question! Do you have any more stories about bears?))

edit: also, here is a grammar tip: genitive case in russian = "of" or "from" + regular world in english, or the possessive of a proper noun (e.g. "Lenin's"/"of Lenin"/"from Lenin" = "ленина"). as usual, translation depends on context. i just noticed it from the gopnik explanation ("After 2000 decline "gop-stop" began") and thought i'd share that as it may be useful.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 12, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This thread is fantastic, thanks so much for sharing.

A few questions:

1. Was it difficult to learn the Latin alphabet? I can't read the Cyrillic alphabet but a lot of the letters look fairly close to Latin ones. Is it confusing when trying to read things in English? I know when I see я I think it's "R" in Latin although I don't think that's the appropriate translation.

2. How much "Olympic spirit" would you say Tomsk has? Is there a lot of interest in watching events? When Atlanta had the Olympics back in 1996 it felt like the entire country was hosting the games even though the events were only in one city. You couldn't walk outside without being bombarded with Olympic-related things.

3. Sochi wasn't a very well-known town to me before the Olympics. It seems like it's fairly well-known in Russia though. Is that accurate? Do many Russians travel there for vacations?

4. How do West and Central Siberia differ from Eastern Siberia/the Russian Far East? I've always wanted to visit Lake Baikal and Irkutsk because the photos I've seen are so beautiful. From what you've said Tomsk seems like a pretty normal Russian city with a focus on the timber and mining/resource extraction industries. Is that the case for other Siberian cities like Irkutsk, Vladivostok, etc? What about more remote cities like Yakutsk?

5. How is the transportation between cities in Siberia? I know the Trans-Siberian Railroad is a major artery but I've read that they've recently built a highway system (the M58 Highway or Amur Highway) that connects the Far East to the rest of Russia by road. I read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M58_highway_%28Russia%29 Was the opening of this highway a big deal? Do most people heading to Moscow/Vladivostok/etc take the train? Do they drive? Do they fly?

6. I apologize in advance if this is sensitive or awkward question. What is the Russian view on the history of the Soviet Union? Additionally, in history textbooks what parts of Soviet history are emphasized? Is there an emphasis on the revolution/Lenin? (American textbooks spend a great deal of time detailing our war of independence against the British and our Civil War) What about later periods? In America the only Soviet-related things we learn are about World War II and the Cold War. Even the information we learn about that is very abridged. For example, the average American gets little knowledge about the Eastern Front in school. I don't even think my textbook talked about the Siege of Lenningrad/St. Petersburg despite it being a key part of the war.

7. Do you have any pets? Are dogs more popular than cats or is it the other way around?

8. If someone were to take a trip to Russia/Siberia where would you recommend they go? (other than Tomsk of course ;) )

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Excavation posted:

Ahh thanks, I was thinking that it would be an exaggerated cultural trait much the same as "everything which we Australians claim to do" but I wasn't sure. Squatting in doorways/streets/nightclubs is one of those popular Russian stereotypes on the internet, and I wasn't sure close to reality it was because we don't have many Russians where I live. Thank you for answering such a stupid question! Do you have any more stories about bears?))

edit: also, here is a grammar tip: genitive case in russian = "of" or "from" + regular world in english, or the possessive of a proper noun (e.g. "Lenin's"/"of Lenin"/"from Lenin" = "ленина"). as usual, translation depends on context. i just noticed it from the gopnik explanation ("After 2000 decline "gop-stop" began") and thought i'd share that as it may be useful.

Question is not a stupid. It is normal question.
I have not any more stories about bears.

I read grammar book.
"Есть люди, которых мы называем гопниками. "
У слова "гопниками" творительный падеж. Предлоги - by, with.

Are these examples right?

There are people which we call by "gopniki"

In Soviet period the phenomenon, which we called by (with?) "gop - stop", was developed.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 13, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

utjkju posted:

There are joke-games.
Replacement of letters by figures:

"94НН03 С006Щ3НN3 П0К4ЗЫ8437, К4КN3 У9N8N73ЛЬНЫ3 83ЩN М0Ж37 93Л47Ь Н4Ш Р4ЗУМ! 8П3Ч47ЛЯЮЩN3 83ЩN! СН4Ч4Л4 Э70 6ЫЛ0 7РУ9Н0, Н0 С3ЙЧ4С Н4 Э70Й С7Р0К3 84Ш Р4ЗУМ ЧN7437 Э70 4870М47NЧ3СКN, Н3 З49УМЫ84ЯСЬ 06 Э70М. Г0Р9NСЬ. ЛNШЬ 0ПР393Л3ННЫ3 ЛЮ9N М0ГУ7 ПР0ЧN747Ь Э70."

"The strange message shows, what surprising things our reason can do. Impressive things! At first it was difficult, but now on this line your reason reads it automatically, without reflecting on it. Be proud! Only certain people can read it."

This reminds me of a similar game in English.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

As a non-native English reader, can you understand this? I can read it almost as quickly as I can read correct English. Here's the plaintext in a spoiler:

According to research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letters be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read is without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

utjkju posted:

Are these examples right?

There are people which we call by "gopniki"

In Soviet period the phenomenon, which we called by (with?) "gop - stop", was developed.

Ah, there is no need to use a preposition after the verb "to call" in this particular situation. Just "which we call gopniki" and "which we called gop-stop" are fine. However, you are absolutely right that you would often use with/by when translating words from the instrumental case! I hope that makes things less confusing.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

axeil posted:

This thread is fantastic, thanks so much for sharing.

A few questions:

1. Was it difficult to learn the Latin alphabet? I can't read the Cyrillic alphabet but a lot of the letters look fairly close to Latin ones. Is it confusing when trying to read things in English? I know when I see я I think it's "R" in Latin although I don't think that's the appropriate translation.

2. How much "Olympic spirit" would you say Tomsk has? Is there a lot of interest in watching events? When Atlanta had the Olympics back in 1996 it felt like the entire country was hosting the games even though the events were only in one city. You couldn't walk outside without being bombarded with Olympic-related things.

3. Sochi wasn't a very well-known town to me before the Olympics. It seems like it's fairly well-known in Russia though. Is that accurate? Do many Russians travel there for vacations?

4. How do West and Central Siberia differ from Eastern Siberia/the Russian Far East? I've always wanted to visit Lake Baikal and Irkutsk because the photos I've seen are so beautiful. From what you've said Tomsk seems like a pretty normal Russian city with a focus on the timber and mining/resource extraction industries. Is that the case for other Siberian cities like Irkutsk, Vladivostok, etc? What about more remote cities like Yakutsk?

5. How is the transportation between cities in Siberia? I know the Trans-Siberian Railroad is a major artery but I've read that they've recently built a highway system (the M58 Highway or Amur Highway) that connects the Far East to the rest of Russia by road. I read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M58_highway_%28Russia%29 Was the opening of this highway a big deal? Do most people heading to Moscow/Vladivostok/etc take the train? Do they drive? Do they fly?

6. I apologize in advance if this is sensitive or awkward question. What is the Russian view on the history of the Soviet Union? Additionally, in history textbooks what parts of Soviet history are emphasized? Is there an emphasis on the revolution/Lenin? (American textbooks spend a great deal of time detailing our war of independence against the British and our Civil War) What about later periods? In America the only Soviet-related things we learn are about World War II and the Cold War. Even the information we learn about that is very abridged. For example, the average American gets little knowledge about the Eastern Front in school. I don't even think my textbook talked about the Siege of Lenningrad/St. Petersburg despite it being a key part of the war.

7. Do you have any pets? Are dogs more popular than cats or is it the other way around?

8. If someone were to take a trip to Russia/Siberia where would you recommend they go? (other than Tomsk of course ;) )

1. It was not difficult to learn the Latin alphabet. In beginning school (beginning education?) we learn the Latin and the Greek alphabets on the lessons of the mathematic. Some symbols of the mathematic are the Latin and the Greek letters.
It is not confusing when trying to read things in English.
I know that i read in English. Therefore I do not confuse the Latin alphabet with the Cyrillic.

2. "Olympic spirit" is strong. Yes, there is a lot of interest in watching events. Two sportsman from Tomsk compete in Olympic game: Anna Mirtova, Ekaterina Stoliarova.

3. Sochi is the city near Black sea. It is the biggest city of health-resorts in Russia.
Yes, many Russians travel there for vacations.

4. Central Siberia is an extensive geographical region, consisting of almost all of North Asia. Siberia has been part of Russia since the seventeenth century.

The territory of Siberia extends eastwards from the Ural Mountains to the watershed between the Pacific and Arctic drainage basins. Siberia stretches southwards from the Arctic Ocean to the hills of north-central Kazakhstan and to the national borders of Mongolia and China. Siberia is 77% of Russia (13.1 million square kilometres), but has just 28% (40 million people) of Russia's population. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia)

West Siberia extends eastwards from the Ural Mountains to the Yenisei River in the east.

East Siberia - the part of Siberia, which includes the territory of Russia from Yenisei in the West to the watershed between the Pacific Ocean in the east.

The Far East is the Russian part of the Far East, i.e. the extreme east parts of Russia, between Lake Baikal in Eastern Siberia and the Pacific Ocean. The Far Eastern Federal District, which covers this area, borders with the Siberian Federal District in the west.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Far_East)

Vladivostok and Irkutsk is bigger cities than Tomsk. Yakutsk is a big city. But this city is less than Tomsk.

5.Most people heading to Moscow/Vladivostok/etc fly by plane. But you can take the train or drive.

Construction of road is always big deal.

6. We learn all history of our country: from time before formation of Russia to new history (today). Each period of our history is detailed discussed. We learn the positive parts and the negative parts of each period of the Russian history.
We do not mean about Soviet Union that it was only bad or only good. In the Soviet period there were the positive parts and the negative parts.

7. I have a pet. My pet is the hamster.
Dogs are as popular as cats.

8. I need of information about hobby of the person for recommendations about a trip to Russia/Siberia.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 13, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

In English it's called "mugging".

Thank you!

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Excavation posted:

Ah, there is no need to use a preposition after the verb "to call" in this particular situation. Just "which we call gopniki" and "which we called gop-stop" are fine. However, you are absolutely right that you would often use with/by when translating words from the instrumental case! I hope that makes things less confusing.

Thank you!
I understood the translation of Russian cases in English. May be... :)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

This reminds me of a similar game in English.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

As a non-native English reader, can you understand this? I can read it almost as quickly as I can read correct English. Here's the plaintext in a spoiler:

According to research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letters be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read is without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole.

I could not read only this word "rscheearch".
I did not know how to write "research".
Now I know. :)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

utjkju posted:

I could not read only this word "rscheearch".
I did not know how to write "research".
Now I know. :)

Oops, looks like I typed "rscheearch" wrong. It should have been more like "rseearch".

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Oops, looks like I typed "rscheearch" wrong. It should have been more like "rseearch".

I don't think it really matters in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

utjkju posted:

Lots of good info

Thanks for this! How much snow do you typically get per year?

• Locked thread