Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
I live in West Siberia. My city - Tomsk. Tomsk called Siberian Athens. The city was started 7 October 1604 year, because Boris Godunov ordered Gavrila Pisemsky and Vasil Tyrkova build a fortress on the banks of the river Tom.
I can tell about Altai, Sayan, Kuznetsk Alatau. I traveled through the Altai and Sayan, Khakassia.

I only teach English because I apologize in advance for any errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Dusseldorf posted:

I had a coworker who grew up in Norilsk and he said the best part about Siberia was the outdoors and hunting/hiking. How is the area around Tomsk?

The area around Tomsk are forest,rivers and lakes. Hunting, hiking, fishing developed strongly.
But Altai and Sayan better than area around Tomsk. Mountain Altai and Sayan have many remote locations away from civilization. Known nature reserve Ergaki is located in Sayan.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

pigdog posted:

Can you post some pictures?

This is Mountain Altai.Aktru.

Seen camp for climbers

joke

Mountain Altai. Kurai steppe.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 3, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Cwmagain posted:

How do you clothe yourself against the cold there? Double layers? What about shoes?

What clothes to wear depends on the weather. If the air temperature to 5 °F (-15°C), wear light baselayer and a jacket and pants (or skirt) insulated Thinsulate or wool. Or wear a fur coat. Shoes insulated fur, wool or Thinsulate. If the temperature is below 5 °F (-15°C), wear wool socks and wool baselayer.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Sorry

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Darryl Lict posted:

What kind of fresh produce can you get? How much does it cost?

I can buy fruits and vegetables, meat, milk, curd, eggs, fish.
For example, apples cost 1 $ 28 cents, carrots cost 71 сents, onion 34 cents.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mans posted:

How cold is it.
For winter if the air temperature to 32 °F (0°C) , it is not cold.
If the air temperature to 5 °F (-15°C), it is cool.
If the air temperature to -18,4 °F (-28°C), it is cold.
If the air temperature to -31°F (-35°C), it is very cold

I can translate degrees to Kelvin.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Cwmagain posted:

Gloves needed? What about an Ушанка? I'm going to Russia soon and need to know how not to freeze :-)

Gloves is needed. Especially if you want to ski or ride down the snowy hills.
Ушанку can be replaced hooded jacket.)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Can you...elaborate on this? If I came across this in some dark Siberian forest "ha ha" would be the last thing on my mind :stare:

On the stone reads: "He argued with the instructor". This peculiar humor climbers.)))

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

PT6A posted:

What kinds of wildlife are common in that area? Do Siberian tigers live in that area?

Siberian tigers do not live in that area. But in that area live bears, wolves, deer, foxes, squirrels, weasels, ermine, sable, wolverine, morality and many other animals.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Steampunk iPhone posted:

What kind of jobs are out there? What do you do?

In big city are many kind of job because necessary to ensure the city's infrastructure.
But the main industry in West Siberia oil and gas extraction and harvesting of wood.
I is geologist.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I hear the roads and stuff are really bad out there. Is anyone doing something about that, or does European Russia not care about you guys?

The city's infrastructures of Siberia's city better developed than in some cities in European Russia. But the roads are bad in Siberia. But now began to develop the road network.

Winter's road

utjkju fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

comaerror posted:

Hey cold weather buddy. Are all the men in Siberia hairy, burly, hunters who enjoy saunas?

Are you at all concerned about the fact that meteorites seem to have a bizarre attraction to Siberia?

Women and men enjoy saunas. Men are not very hairy. )))
Meteorites do not scare us.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Mans posted:

34 cents per kilo or per unit? :stare:

34 cents per kilo

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Beamed posted:

I know you live in a city, but is there a sense of isolation there?

Here is not a sense of isolation.
Here life many people and have communications, transport.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

ausgezeichnet posted:

I used to spend a lot of time in Tyumen and Moscow for work. Any time I tried to eat any fried food (French fries, fried fish) I would poo poo my brains out. I successfully ate all kinds of food over there without issue (loved pelmeni, shshi soup with smetana, etc), but as soon as I ate more than one french fry with my Vienna Sandwich I would spend the whole afternoon on the can. Any idea what Russian cooking oil has in it that made everybody I knew over there blast away like this? Lard?

I loved Tyumen and wish I could go back. It was gritty and real - unlike Moscow - kind of like Cleveland in Siberia.

Lard. But Ukrainians like lard. In Siberia there are many people born in Ukraine.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pick posted:

Were you born in this city? Why do people move here? Why do they move away to different cities?

Yes, i born in Tomsk. I do not moved here, i write from Tomsk. )
I think people move away to different cities for various reasons: work, climate,love.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

drunkill posted:

How often, or at all, are you cut off from the outside world? Do roads or trains get blocked due to snow or storms?

How far away is the next similar sized town or city, a few hours?

I am 27 years old. For 27 years, our city has never been cut off from the outside world.
To Novosibirsk distance of 275 km, 112km distance to Jurga.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

This is what I'm going to think about when I think about Siberia from now on. :clint:

Here's one: How afraid should a foreigner be to visit? I've heard people out there aren't very friendly. Is this true?

People are different .But most people are friendly. We can be friendly, but we are not show our friendliness through smile. If we wish give help to a man, we look very serious, because we think about way to help.
Foreigner should afraid swindler.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

You're perfectly understandable so is it ok if I read everything you type in an over the top russian accent?

My level of English on the scale adopted in Russia pre-intermediate. I really are not speak English, but I can read and I is learning to write so that people understood me. For this I need to think in English. It's difficult, but I try very hard.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I just visited Murmansk(Russia) a few weeks ago. God drat b, that place is cold as gently caress. I can't believe people have lived there for hundreds of years.

Is there a lot of Chinese or Tartar people up there looking for jobs in industry?

Edit: for clarification yes I know Murmansk is nowhere near Sibera I just could not imagine living in a climate so cold my whole life.

Climate in Murmansk colder than climate in West Siberia. I would not want to live in Murmansk.
Tartar people is indigenous peoples in Siberia. In Western Siberia was Tatar khanate until the arrival of people from the European Russia. Therefore Tartar people looking for jobs in industry, but they are not much. Chinese people are very few. Chinese people are many in the Far East.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Branis posted:

I know your 27 so you may not remember much, but I always find it interesting to hear from Russians how things have changed in their area post soviet union, so can you share any information on how things were in Tomsk during Soviet times and how it is different now?

I was born during Soviet times. Restructuring had began when I was 7 years old (I think that word "Restructuring" will be true for the translation of the Russian word "перестройка" which we call time after collapse of the Soviet Union. Time after 1991). In first grade I went to school in school uniform. Six months later, the school uniform abolished. It was strange, kids knew that you need to walk to school in school uniform.

1991-1998.
It was a difficult time. People had not been paid. Therefore often people resigned from work. Factories closed production.
At this time, was the beginning of development of the markets and commercial enterprises. At that time, were created the first commercial dentistry, commercial bakeries and other commercial production.
Delayed salaries of employees who were paid salaries from the state budget. People organized strikes.

1998-2004
At this time, was the beginning of stabilization of the economic situation in the country.
In 2000 - 2004 were restored buildings that were demolished during the Soviet Union. It is a fortress on the hill of the Resurrection. Cathedral near the Lenin Square. Сhapel on Lenin Square. Now the chapel and a statue of Lenin are located near.
At this time, created the first commercial clinics and commercial schools.

2004-2014
In city built new arrondissements .

But many Factories of Siberia are neglect.

But the arrondissement, which neglect factories, develop other economic potential.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 4, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pilsner posted:

Reading and forcing yourself to write on forums is a pretty good way to learn; that's my experience with German at least.

Thank you for your words of support.
I find it difficult to understand how the British make their offers. Grammar textbooks do not help me. In the Russian language for one subject, you can use a lot of words that will denote only the subject. In English, one word can have multiple meanings.
The British, who work in Russia and with whom we communicate, they say that it is clear what we are trying to say, but it's far from the English language.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 5, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

ifuckedjesus posted:

English speakers also think this is funny. Sometimes we say things unintentionally (without intent) that could be heard more than one way. It can be very embarrassing. We understand and all laugh about it.

It is very interesting.
In 1956 Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Ministry of the higher education of the USSR and Ministry of Public Education of RSFSR formulated and consolidated rules orthography and punctuation Of Russian language. May be English language has something analogous?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Earwicker posted:

I am probably going to be at a theatre festival in Beijing in September and what I would really like to do is take a more portable version of my live music setup and a small group of musicians (some of whom will speak Russian and Chinese) and go all the way west through China and then across Russia, doing small gigs in small towns the whole way across, all the way to Romania to do a final gig. What are my chances of survival?

I think your chances of survival about 99,9 %. )

Every cities in our country and arrondissement have Web site on which publish primary information on сity. There you can know about address city administration, organization state, and other things.
For example: http://www.admin.tomsk.ru/
http://astrgorod.ru/

Also many organization have Web site of two language: Russian language and English language. Yet still there are the Internet shops.
Through internet may buy train ticket, plane ticket.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

http://album.tomsk.ru/
There many photos of Tomsk

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

I don't think such a thing would be possible. It is not just one nation speaking English, so one nation couldn't dictate the rules of it as the Soviet Union was able to.

England, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Nigeria, Fiji and many other commonwealth nation's all use English as either their primary or secondary language.

To give you an example, when I was in high school I sat in a chair that a girl just left. The chair was uncomfortably warm, so I said "She was hot". Now I meant that she must have be sweltering, but it could also mean "She is very attractive". My friends thought I was calling her attractive/sexy when I just meant she was hot.

How you teach children write and read at English language? )
Our children lean rules orthography and punctuation of Russian language. They (children) remember rules composition words, learn methods control word's orthography.
For English language these methods use impossible.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

I honestly can't remember how I was taught to read. I needed more help than most to begin with (I could not read or write beyond very simple words until age 8) but after I started reading it just came naturally. Once you know syllables and what sound each letter makes you can normally work it out when you're reading. After that it is just teaching how to spell words that don't make sense like knight (pronounced like as in night)

Kids already know the rules of the language because they speak it. When you finish a sentence, you put a full stop. When you pause in the middle of a sentence it's a comma. The semi-colon (';' that one) was never really explained to me, I think it's used when you would normally have a conjunction. My mother has nice hair; she likes to brush it instead of My mother has nice hair and likes to brush it.

I'm not a teacher however, any primary or secondary school teacher would be able to explain it rather well.

this is surprising )

I write about how i had been learned Russian language.
In Russian all children go to school when they are 7 years old. School children learn for 11 years. One of the subjects that the School children study - the Russian language. Pupils learn Russian language for 11 years. Lessons Russian language go 4 times a week. At Russian lessons to children explain as to apply rules our language (In 1956 Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Ministry of the higher education of the USSR and Ministry of Public Education of RSFSR formulated and consolidated rules orthography and punctuation Of Russian language.) Rules regulate use of commas (","), points ("." ), exclamation mark ("!" ), colons (":" ), dots ("..." ), semicolon (";" ), question mark ("?" ), a dash ("-"). In the Russian written language all signs of a punctuation can be used only strictly by rules.
In Russian language one and too the word in different situations will be written differently. To it too children teach.
But even after 11 years of training many people make mistakes in written language. Therefore Russian web site have an automatic verification of the text.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Coul you tell us anything about shamanism if that exists where you live?

How did you find somethingawful?

Thanks!

Shamanism meet in Khakassia and in Mountain Altai.
The Grot of Black demon is located In Khakassia. In this grot shamans carry out the ceremonies. On the cave roof dangle bracelets and necklaces of opal, garnet, quartz, clear quartz. This pretty pretties are donative for demon. They say that if to spend long time in the grot, it is possible to see the aura.
But I didn't participate in shaman ceremonies.
There is one more cave. It is Arkheyk's cave. There sacrifice ceremonies were carried out B.C.
Caves is located about Malia Cia.

In Khakassia there are a lot of traces of ancient ceremonies of burial of the died people.

In Mountain Altai is met holy places. These places were marked by signs. In these places is forbidden to swear, to leave garbage, to leave inscriptions on rocks, to break trees. If you break a ban, you will be pursued by failures.
In these parts Altaians make the ceremonies of sacrifice - hang fabric strips on branches of trees.

Awful I didn't meet anything.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

What are your favourite West Siberian dishes?

First dish which I remember is Russian ravioli ( potstickers?). We yourself make this dish. But Russian ravioli is widespread on all Russia.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Just like Russian, there are many different varieties of English. We could try to change the orthography so the spelling matches the sounds better, but which dialect would you use? If we spelled everything to match American English, it wouldn't be quite right for British English. Not to mention there are many different dialects within each country and around the world. Which one do you pick to be the standard? Which country gets to write the rules?

It's true the spelling system can be frustrating. Even though it doesn't match the pronunciation very well, it's the same everywhere. I might have some difficulty understanding your spoken English, or a heavy Scottish dialect, etc. But we all share the same written language so there's no problem with communication there.

I was taught Phonics (orthography, basically) and Reading as subjects, we learned which letter combinations make which sounds and practiced reading. There are many exceptions to English spelling rules, you have to learn the general pronunciation rules and then also memorize the exceptions.

There is only one variety of Russian on the record. For example, there is Altai dialect, but Altaians use Russian on the record. Though keep the Altai writing.
And despite dialects for conversation over all country the same oral language is accepted.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 6, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Squalid posted:

So you're a geologist huh? What responsibilities do you have in this job, and why do you have British coworkers?

I can not answer for these questions, because is forbidden to distribute office information.

I wrote : "The British, who work in Russia and with whom we communicate". These British are not my coworkers.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

But we all share the same written language so there's no problem with communication there.

Where wrote down rules of a uniform written language? Where it is possible to read about this written language?

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

TunaSpleen posted:

If I recall correctly, the Japanese have similar competitions with their own obscure words.

Don't worry so much about trying to learn a "unified" English, focus on one country's version or whatever materials you can get. The differences are small, just spelling (color or colour, for example) or the name for certain things (mom/mum, cart/buggy, bathroom/loo). Many authors have made careers making fun of English's problems, such as an early collection of works by Dr. Seuss titled The Tough Coughs as He Ploughs the Dough. It took me years to realize it was a joke on how many ways you can say "ough".

Thank you for sharing so many pictures. Could you translate some of the rules on that blue sign?

The especially protected territory of Altai Republic.
Natural park "AK Chelushpa"
Dear guests! We welcome your kindly wish lean holy Altai and have reliance in respect is fixed the rules of conduct on holy and the especially protected territories.
Please:
1. Try not to leave garbage, not to leave marks on places of the stay
2. There is request take away urban ore from Chulishman's valley and to bring them to waste deposit.
3. You shouldn't make a fire, not organize camp in not allowable places.
4. On time visit at holy places do not try carry out the shaman's ceremonies yourself if you do not know ceremonies's rules. You shouldn't take sacrifice which was left for daemons.
5. You shouldn't step over the high part ( chief) of the healthful springlet. (Argana)
6. You shouldn't do one's doings ( ease oneself) at holy places.
7. You shouldn't wear beachwear at holy places.
8. You shouldn't clamor, make noise, make a row at holy places.
9. You shouldn't modify landscape.
10. You shouldn't leave inscriptions on rocks and trees.
11 .You shouldn't break trees.
12. You shouldn't break signs.
If you observe rules that you show respect to daemons. And daemons love you.
If you break a ban, you will be pursued by failures. This is a rule boomerang. You is located on the swell. This is holy places. You shouldn't do one's doings ( ease oneself) at this place.
Friends refuse plastic bottles. Plastic bottles are toxic for the nature.
Good luck!

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Thanks to all who wrote posts about English.
It is very interesting and necessary information. It helps me to understand English better.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

How often do you see bears? Are they big bears? What about moose or large deer-like animals?

5-6 times in year i see bears and moose or large deer-like animals in a zoo in city Novosibirsk.
But onсe i met bear in nature reserve Ergaki. . That day i did not go on a mountain. I was left in camp for climbers.
We knew that in nature reserve Ergaki wаlked bears. They (bears) stole food at camp for climbers. Therefore we hanged knapsack with food on a tree.
But that day climbers which went on the mountain took away cordage.
I moved a backpack far away from tent under a tree that the bear didn't get into tent. Then i cooked food for climbers which went on the mountain. Also I left a pan with porridge near a tree.
I sleeped in tent. I heard that at the camp someone went and rattled ware. I thought that climbers returned. But climbers didn't speak among themselves. This was strange. I asked: "Who here? " To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr". I understood that it was the bear. I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
The bear ate all porridge which I cooked for climbers. Then bear left. This was the small bear.
Climbers returned at night. I told them abot bear. They told me that they met bear too. They told me that Lena saw an rear end of a bear and cried: "What terrible rear end! " The bear escaped.
I saw moose when i was in geological practice.

utjkju fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2014

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Chinatown posted:

This thread is really enjoyable! Your english is quite good also.

Thank you. :)

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

Hoover Dam posted:

We used the Russian word for that in English--"perestroika." "Perestroika" and "glasnost" were very big topics on American news when they started.

In the US and Canada, those are either perogi or vareniky, depending on whether your town had lots of immigrants from Poland or Ukraine. And they're delicious.

What is the mood in Siberia about the Olympics? Are you excited, proud, happy?

Perogi we cook from yeast dough. Vareniky have not meat stuffing. Pelmeny (пельмени) have meat stuffing.
As we have a dish from Uzbek cuisine - chuchvra. Chuchvara is borsch with pelmeni and adjika sauce.

Anna Mirtova will represent our city and Russia at the Olympic Games. She acts in slopestyle. All of us are glad for she.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

http://www.ergaki-park.ru/photogallery/details.php?image_id=64
Web site "Nature reserve Ergaki " (photo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

squeegee posted:

I really love the phrase "you will be pursued by failures." Is there an alternate way to translate this into English or are the Russians just that :black101:?

EDIT:

"If you observe rules that you show respect to daemons. And daemons love you.
If you break a ban, you will be pursued by failures. This is a rule boomerang. "

Many people in our country believe that if if the person makes to other person (or to a animal or to daemon) the evil that this evil will return in one of these fine days to the person which makes this evil. The evil as a boomerang comes back to the owner.
Phrase "you will be pursued by failures." means that to you won't be possible to disappear from evil return which you made. Evil, which you made, find you.

• Locked thread