Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What kinds of wildlife are common in that area? Do Siberian tigers live in that area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

utjkju posted:

On the Altay and in Hakasia we rear marals.
We were doing geologic surveying near borders of a place where rear marals. I saw marals.
But i have not marals photos.

Wikipedia says this is a kind of large deer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_red_deer

I've never heard of this animal before, which is probably why people here are confused. Fixed Expression was making a joke, because in the original post you said "morality," which is a completely different English word. When I was learning Spanish, I did something similar: I confused the word for "rabbit" with the word for "father-in-law." Learning a new language can be very difficult, but it is better to practice and make mistakes than not to practice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

It is true that are a lot of used japanese cars with right-hand steering. Japanese cars be so popular with us because this cars are inexpensive. But used japanese cars with right-hand steering are qualitative.
But imports of used japanese cars into our country slumped in 2008 because of duties.

It is my opinion that there are more imported cars then russian cars on the streets.

Are there many Korean or Chinese cars? I travelled to Cuba, where there are many Ladas still on the streets, as well as some more recent Chinese and Korean cars. Even though the Chinese and Korean cars have bigger engines, and are nicer on the inside, most people I talked to preferred the Ladas because they were easier and cheaper to fix (keeping in mind that many cars had 300,000-500,000 km on the odometer, because they are very expensive to replace).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

1.Lykovs lived of the most part of them life in the Siberian forest. They were able to do a lot of things. If people have (a?) fire that they can make a loamy crockery.

2. They could cook food on the fire without a crockery.

'Crockery' is a strange word to use in English here. We would typically say 'pot' or 'kettle.' I am not sure what 'loamy' means. Do you mean a pot/kettle made from soil or clay? If so, it is typically called a clay pot, or an earthenware pot ('clay pot' being the most likely).

quote:

3. How Lykos took the gage of the temperature of air?
("...having slept in the open in 40 degrees of frost...")

4. In the forest there are mushrooms (funguses?) which they could eat.

"40 degrees of frost" is mistranslated. We would say "40 degrees below zero" or "minus 40 degrees." This was a mistake in the article, rather than something you said, but it is important that you avoid learning incorrect phrases in English from articles like this.

You were correct in saying 'mushrooms.' A mushroom is a specific type of fungus. I don't know exactly what the difference is, but I think mushrooms typically have a defined shape and some types are edible. Some mushrooms are poisonous. The plural of 'fungus' is 'fungi,' but this is an exception for English that even many native English speakers do not know. There are some other words that follow this pattern (octopus -> octopi, cactus -> cacti) but you shouldn't worry about it too much because many people say it incorrectly and everyone will understand what you mean.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

My father arrived to Tomsk on distribution. He is pilot (aviator).

What kind of airplanes did he fly? Did he fly for the military, or for an airline?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

My father flew of Tu-154, An-22. He flew for an airline.

Thank you. I am interested in airplanes, and I have a lot of respect for Soviet-built aircraft because they were built to handle very extreme conditions. The only Soviet-built aircraft I have flown on is the An-26. I think the only airline in North America that uses Russian/Ukranian aircraft is Cubana. Eventually I want to fly on a Tu-204 and An-158.

Some people in North America and Europe think Russian aircraft are unsafe compared to those built in Europe and North America. Do people in Russia think the same thing? Would they rather fly on a Russian-built aircraft or a European/North American-built aircraft?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

Well...
Can I say in English: "I will ring your phone?"

English people would normally say "I will ring you" when they mean they will ring your phone, so that phrase would seem strange to an English speaker. However, if you had two phones, perhaps a cellphone and a phone at your house, or a separate phone for work, you could say, "I will ring your cellphone," or "I will ring you on your cellphone," to make clear which phone you plan to call/ring.

I had to write a letter in Spanish today, and remembering the correct prepositions to use was the hardest part, because they don't translate directly between languages. I feel your pain; you're doing very well so far.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

There are peak-hours in Tomsk, when there are road congestions. It is from 7 am to 9 am and from 6 pm to 8 pm. It is time when people leave to work and leave of work.

We call this "rush hour" in English. How bad does traffic (road congestion) get? For example, in my city, a trip that would normally take 25 minutes will take 80-90 minutes in rush hour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just wanted to say, I was worried about the Sochi Olympics, but I think Russia did a very good job with them and your country should be proud, both for how the games went, and for how well Russian athletes performed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tomsk looks like a very nice city. I think some people get a bad opinion of Russia based on what they hear out of cities like Moscow, or the image of some peasant town with dirt roads and constant poverty. The things you've told us in this thread show a part of Russia that I don't think most non-Russians know about. Looking at what you've told us, it seems like small cities all over the world have more in common with each other than they do with the major cities in their own countries. Given what you've said about Tomsk, and looking at the pictures you've posted, it seems to me that it could be a city located 200km from where I live in Canada instead of a different continent.

Does Tomsk/Western Siberia receive many tourists from outside Russia?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

My children said to me: "We love our town and our winter." My children can not imagine winter without snow and frost.
Many my friends, who grew up in Siberia, don't like warm winter.

What sorts of activities and sports do people in Tomsk do during the winter?

Here in Calgary, it is currently -39 degrees with wind chill, and the forecast says it will be colder tomorrow and the following day. I don't mind the cold, because it kills off a lot of insects and other pests. For me, it's a relief when spring arrives, but I don't think my city or country would be the same without a cold winter. I only wish it lasted two months instead of six.

If the winter were warmer, would we be able to enjoy the summer as much?

EDIT: Sorry if you've answered this before, but what temperature do you heat your house to in the winter? Here, the average is 18-20 degrees. My apartment is set for 19 degrees right now.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 1, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

I had read about Calgary. Calgary has the interesting history of development. I had read about Chinook winds and that it is very warm winds. Is it truth? Also i had read that Chinook winds raise temperature by +20 degrees in winter. If it is truth, that it is amazing.

The warmest I've seen during winter, in January, is 16 degrees. The largest change I've seen is from -20 degrees one night to around 14 degrees the next morning, but I've heard of even larger changes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

It is amazing. I can not imagine that temperature of air will be 14 degrees in winter. For Tomsk it is unreal. :)

Chinook winds are very strong. In addition to being very warm, the wind speed can sometimes reach more than 60 km/h, with gusts up to 100 km/h, so on days like this it's not necessarily nice to go outside.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

Yes, in Tomsk there is homelessness problem.
Homeless people can got help, if they ask social services about it. But homeless do not ask help. I don't know why.

Many homeless people in North America are homeless because they are addicted to drugs or alcohol, or have a mental illness. Is this the same in Tomsk? This would explain why they sometimes don't ask for help.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

When people make tea in a teapot, do they use loose tea/herbs or does the tea come in a tea-bag? In North America, one usually uses a tea-bag to make tea, and it's difficult to find a teapot that will strain the loose tea. I prefer making tea without a tea-bag, but it is harder to find and more expensive. Is it the same in Russia?

I also want to tell you: we hear a lot about what is happening in Ukraine, but I agree with you that there are many different sources saying many different things. To be honest, I don't know who to trust. I know that the Western media will tell lies when they want to, based on things I have seen with my own eyes. I hope, and I'm sure you hope the same, that this conflict can be resolved peacefully, no matter who it telling the truth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

Sabantui - is moslem celebration of Siberian Tatars. In Tomsk and in the area of Tomsk many Siberian Tatars live. They have Tatars language, and Tatars are Mussulmans ( Islamic). Therefore in Sabantui you can hear Tatars language.

Very interesting, but for your future knowledge, "Moslem" and "Mussulmans" are considered antiquated and kind of racist in English. We would say "Muslim" as an adjective or a noun. It's not a big deal, but it could offend people in some situations.

Your pictures are amazing and I find this thread fascinating, I think it shows a side of Russia that most of the world never sees. I don't want to annoy you with grammar and vocabulary notes every time you post, so if you don't like it, please tell me and I'll stop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Do you ever feel disconnected or separate from the rest of Russia, living in Siberia? Living in Canada, which is very large like Russia, most people tend to feel they have more in common with the people who live in their own province than the rest of the country, and sometimes feel angry about policies which seem to help one province/region at the expense of another. Sometimes there is a feeling that the national government cares more about one province than the other; is that an issue in Russia as well?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Have you had the first snowfall in Tomsk yet? We had one in Calgary last weekend. The trees still had leaves, so a lot of tree branches got too heavy and snapped off, and some trees fell down completely. There is still a lot of damage to clean up. What is the earliest month you can remember having a snow storm in Tomsk?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

Snow dropped out unexpectedly))))
It on streets of Tomsk

It is similar to what I was talking about in Calgary. We had snow during the first week of September, but we have not had any snow since then. Usually, we will get more snow starting at the end of October.

Do most people have winter tires for their car? I need to put mine on my car pretty soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I like your cat, it's very cute.

Some people in North America think that black cats bring bad luck (it's nonsense, but many people believe it). Is this a common superstition in Russia?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

utjkju posted:

The most expensive tariff - 12,49 USD: 100 Megabits/s + digital TV (http://www.neotelecom.ru/tariffs.php?page=inetfiz)

Holy poo poo. That would cost around $180/month in Canada. The telecom companies say this is because Canada is such a large country, so it's very expensive to connect everything. If Internet in Russia is so inexpensive, obviously they are lying to us.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey, whoever bought utjkju that avatar: why don't you gently caress off? Look at what you've gone and done now. This was an interesting thread, and because (I'm presuming) someone got butthurt about Russia/Ukraine and now the OP is leaving.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed your posts here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pick posted:

This was the best thread, and best poster, on the forums. Whoever bought her that avatar, you loving suck.

Very true.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You're right, it's far better to make a nationalistic insult for what is, admittedly, a comment I find relatively offensive if I read it exactly as it's written and not how I assume it was intended, instead of trying to understand that perhaps not all people and cultures see everything the same way, and also that speaking in a second language can lead to really bad-sounding things that weren't intended that way.

A follow-up post about that comment clarified that the 3rd person pronoun distinction (he/it) doesn't exist in Russian. I would also point out that hearing people's opinions on things can be interested even if (and often, especially if) they differ from your own!

To reiterate:

Pick posted:

This was the best thread, and best poster, on the forums. Whoever bought her that avatar, you loving suck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bears are very excellent. I'm sort of sad that Russia got the bear as a symbol, and Canada got the beaver. We have lots of bears too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Those photos are wonderful! It looks like a very beautiful area of the world.

• Locked thread